Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jean Genie
Jan 1, 2010

I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Speaking of Christian (I disagree with pretty much everything dude above me said and homeboy seems to have issues if Christian's tracksuit is that big a problem) when did WWE stop pretending that he Edge were brothers?

In Edge's book‚ I seem to recall he just referred to Christian as 'his friend'. They've been playing it down for a while now‚ maybe a little after they split up as a tag team. It would have been a nice piece of continuity to keep though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm watching a Ric Flair shoot and I was wondering when he was in a psychiatric hospital in WCW? Early 90's?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Around May/June 1999, I believe. In March of that year, he beat hogan in a cage match that gave him control of WCW, he went mad with power, and they had to have him committed. Scott Hall was there too for no reason.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 23, 2010

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Probably any odd out of place angle relating to WCW can be assumed to have taken place between 99 and 2000.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Unless it takes place before 1996.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So what is the general opinion of ROH? Is it any good, or at least better than TNA? After visiting this board in some form or fashion about 2/3s of a year now, I get the opinion that it is pretty good but focuses more on athletic wrestling instead of storylines or flashy stunts/theatrics. I don't have HDnet so I don't really have any access. Is it "ideal smarky wrestling" or does it have its problems just like WWE and TNA?

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

crankdatbatman posted:

So what is the general opinion of ROH? Is it any good, or at least better than TNA? After visiting this board in some form or fashion about 2/3s of a year now, I get the opinion that it is pretty good but focuses more on athletic wrestling instead of storylines or flashy stunts/theatrics. I don't have HDnet so I don't really have any access. Is it "ideal smarky wrestling" or does it have its problems just like WWE and TNA?

ROH is good, definitely consistently better than TNA. It's all athletic wrestling. You might see a boring match every once in a while, but that's about it in terms of problems.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Speaking of Christian (I disagree with pretty much everything dude above me said and homeboy seems to have issues if Christian's tracksuit is that big a problem) when did WWE stop pretending that he Edge were brothers?

I have a feeling that he may have cut one of those "Golddust was my slave name. My real name is Dustin Rhodes, and Vince McMahon can't hold me back any longer!" kind of promos, when he first started in TNA, and denounced the whole Brood thing?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

crankdatbatman posted:

It's not nearly as hot as it was from fans a few years ago and I definitely know a lot of people who have said it's really stale and they just don't care. But since around December some people have gotten back into them and are getting into the newer shows.

I've never gone to a show and been disappointed. My first show was in February 2007 and I haven't missed one around here since. Granted I go to all the big-market NYC shows but I feel the wrestling in ROH is better then most of the other stuff you see on TV.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

ROH started with pure athletics as the gimmick of the entire federation. The "sports entertainment" aspect, or whatever you want to call it, has always been secondary at best, and relatively few ROH guys are good talkers. In fact, most that are get brought up to a bigger company.

When ROH is good, it's really good; when it's bad, it's pretty dull. The 2003-2005 era of ROH, or thereabouts, is legendary for CM Punk and Samoa Joe, and Bryan Danielson has consistently been called the best wrestler in North America, probably because he can make mat wrestling interesting.

Many ROH matches typically go long, have a lot of extremely athletic/brutal spots, and there will be at least ten big kickouts from moves that would end a WWE match. It has a lot in common with Japanese wrestling, and they invite quite a few Japanese wrestlers over to have especially grueling matches.

As of late, they've sort of declined in their booking, but as far as I know they're still doing well, especially since they're on TV. They've always been better than TNA.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think a great "When did this WCW angle take place?" quiz would be multiple choice, and every answer would be like, A. 1993 B. 1999 C. 2000 D. Never

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

I think a great "When did this WCW angle take place?" quiz would be multiple choice, and every answer would be like, A. 1993 B. 1999 C. 2000 D. Never

The idiocy was pretty well spread out. 1990 had the Black Scorpion. 1991 had Flair's firing and the WE WANT FLAIR PPV. 1992 had the push of Erik Watts and a lot of stupid poo poo. 1993 had the Shockmaster. 1994 had all of Hogan's buddies coming in. 1995 had the Dungeon of Doom. Blood Runs cold happens in 1996. 1997 for Starrcade, 1998 for Nash/Hogan and lots of other poo poo, 1999 for... lots of poo poo, 2000 for EVEN MORE poo poo.

It'd be a graph that stayed pretty steady, then started spiking at 1998, then went to infinity in 1999 and 2000.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

The last time I can recall it being mentioned was a throwaway reference in one of Christian's first TNA promos.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sue Denim posted:

I was thinking about the WWE Hall of Fame and about which superstars were heading towards that status or have even achieved it on the current roster and that made me wonder... Who is the youngest WWE Hall of Fame inductee and what age where they when they were inducted?

If you count posthumous inductions, Eddie Guerrero would've been 39 when he was inducted in 2006 (38 when he died).

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRayPer posted:

The idiocy was pretty well spread out. 1990 had the Black Scorpion. 1991 had Flair's firing and the WE WANT FLAIR PPV. 1992 had the push of Erik Watts and a lot of stupid poo poo. 1993 had the Shockmaster. 1994 had all of Hogan's buddies coming in. 1995 had the Dungeon of Doom. Blood Runs cold happens in 1996. 1997 for Starrcade, 1998 for Nash/Hogan and lots of other poo poo, 1999 for... lots of poo poo, 2000 for EVEN MORE poo poo.

It'd be a graph that stayed pretty steady, then started spiking at 1998, then went to infinity in 1999 and 2000.

It's kind of like HIV. Incubation stage was its initiation, Acute stage was the poo poo before 1996. 1996-1998 is the latency stage, then 1999 on was full blown AIDS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sue Denim posted:

Couldn't agree more, what really baffles me is the crowds seem to love him, even crowds filled with kids too young to know much about his tag team days. I think this is either an example of:

a) Someone doing something early in their career that was enough to put them over for life as long as they were able to work.

b) The WWE machine just being able to tell the fans what they lik.e

Occam's Razor would suggest that maybe, just maybe, the crowd loves Christian because they find him very entertaining and your opinion of him is just your opinion and not the objective truth of his quality or lack thereof or proof of the majority opinion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

crankdatbatman posted:

Probably any odd out of place angle relating to WCW can be assumed to have taken place between late 1998 and 2001. Or before 1996.
:eng101:

MassRayPer's right, though. WCW has always had some crap, but like the WWF, when they were great it was easy to ignore the crap.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
No one will ever be able to convince me that WCW in 2000 was anything but a tool for Vince Russo to actualize his fantasy of jumping up and down on Ric Flair's marital bed, in his nature boy robe while David Flair told stories of abuse from his father in the fore shot on live television.

Edit: If anyone is skeptical, this actually happened on Nitro.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
easier to delete this post because I quoted instead of editing

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

:eng101:

MassRayPer's right, though. WCW has always had some crap, but like the WWF, when they were great it was easy to ignore the crap.

the thing is, he's not right because not all of them were odd or out-of-place angles, they were just badly-executed angles. There's a difference between Blood Runs Cold or Starrcade 97's main event finish and a custody-papers-on-a-pole match.

EDIT:

Sue Denim posted:

Edit: If anyone is skeptical, this actually happened on Nitro.

Believe me, no one is skeptical

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Save Russian Jews posted:

Believe me, no one is skeptical

It's getting to the point that I would almost believe they had staged an execution in the middle of the ring by gunpoint in 2000 WCW.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Is there a story behind the ArmDrag nickname?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

It's AmDrag, and it's short for American Dragon. That's about it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Dell_Zincht posted:

That makes much more sense. Thank you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

It's getting to the point that I would almost believe they had staged an execution in the middle of the ring by gunpoint in 2000 WCW.

Tank Abbott did pull a knife and come within a few centimeters of slitting Big Al's throat on a live Pay-Per-View in 2000.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

Tank Abbott did pull a knife and come within a few centimeters of cutting Big Al's beard on a live Pay-Per-View in 2000.

Fixed that for you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was 16 in 2000, it looked like he was going to cut his jugular to my then- and still-moronic self. :downs:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

I was 16 in 2000, it looked like he was going to cut his jugular to my then- and still-moronic self. :downs:

No, he clearly was acting like he was gonna cut his throat. Schiavone said on commentary he was going to shave his beard, mainly because Tony is an idiot.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TL posted:

No, he clearly was acting like he was gonna cut his throat. Schiavone said on commentary he was going to shave his beard, mainly because Tony is an idiot.

Is there any background to that story or fallout? Did Tank Abbott get suspended or something? I've seen the footage and I think read about it in The Death of WCW, but I can't remember if they about the repercussions.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

crankdatbatman posted:

Is there any background to that story or fallout? Did Tank Abbott get suspended or something? I've seen the footage and I think read about it in The Death of WCW, but I can't remember if they about the repercussions.

Tank asked if he could "use a weapon" in their post-match antics.

WCW Management is said to have thought he meant like, a chair or something.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

YOU KNOW THOSE INDIE MIDGETS, THEY ONLY DO ARM DRAGS AND FLIPPIES, THEY CAN'T WORK

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Writer Cath posted:

You're thinking of Daniel Bryanian, the Armenian Dragon.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
edit: If I've asked this before, forgive me. My memory sucks.

I was drinking with a buddy who grew up on Smoky Mountain Wrestling. I'm trying to figure out this event he's talking about. He says it was so weird and traumatic to a kid that he hasn't watched wrestling since.

Basically all he remembers is there was a wrestler who had a weapon that was sort of a knife on a stick type thing. He was apparently stabbing the hell out of someone in the head while in the ring, only my buddy didn't see any of the actually stabbing because they put big black censor boxes over the action. He swears the action then faded to black, went to commercial, and then when they came back it was like it never happened. Upon questioning him, the name New Jack seemed familiar, so its totally believable.

So what the gently caress is he referencing/remembering?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wasn't Danielson part of a team for Young Lions Cup in Chikara that was Team ArmDrag, though?

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

BlueArmyMan posted:

Wasn't Danielson part of a team for Young Lions Cup in Chikara that was Team ArmDrag, though?

That was team Uppercut, in the Chikara King of Trios.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

joshtothemaxx posted:

edit: If I've asked this before, forgive me. My memory sucks.

I was drinking with a buddy who grew up on Smoky Mountain Wrestling. I'm trying to figure out this event he's talking about. He says it was so weird and traumatic to a kid that he hasn't watched wrestling since.

Basically all he remembers is there was a wrestler who had a weapon that was sort of a knife on a stick type thing. He was apparently stabbing the hell out of someone in the head while in the ring, only my buddy didn't see any of the actually stabbing because they put big black censor boxes over the action. He swears the action then faded to black, went to commercial, and then when they came back it was like it never happened. Upon questioning him, the name New Jack seemed familiar, so its totally believable.

So what the gently caress is he referencing/remembering?
Only thing I can think of is Outlaw Ron Bass using his spur to carve up Brutus Beefcake but that was in WWF.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I vaguely remember seeing someone using a spike in Smoky Mountain in an issue of PWI when I was a ten year old mark. I want to say it was someone using it on the Rock and Roll Express, it may well have been the Gangstas. But I could be completely off on that.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Which wrestler biographies (auto or otherwise) are considered to be worth reading? I've read Foley's first book, Flair's, Jericho's, and Classy Freddy Blassies, all of which I happily recommend. I've also read Chyna's, the Rock's, and Jerry Lawler's, all of which you should probably stay the gently caress away from.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Triple-Kan posted:

Which wrestler biographies (auto or otherwise) are considered to be worth reading? I've read Foley's first book, Flair's, Jericho's, and Classy Freddy Blassies, all of which I happily recommend. I've also read Chyna's, the Rock's, and Jerry Lawler's, all of which you should probably stay the gently caress away from.

I think Foley's second one is still good, but stay the gently caress away from his third one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Triple-Kan posted:

There's a book recommendation thread stickied at the top of this forum.