Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Swilo posted:

Is this only a problem with the blank keycaps, or does it happen to the printed ones too? That's horrible.

The printed ones do not have the coating, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

very posted:

What coating is this exactly?

very
Jan 25, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

What coating is this exactly?

They said it was just there to give the keys a unique feel.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

MonkeyFit posted:

Currently using a Logitech Elite keyboard.

Best keyboard I've ever used in my opinion. I love the layout. It's hard for me to find a layout I like.

But I think it's finally starting to give out on me after 7 years of faithful service. But I can't decide between the G110 and the G19. I'd get a G15, but gently caress v2. I hate orange. So, is the price difference of $90 really worth it for the screen?

I'm using the same keyboard (wireless version) and I love it, too. I bought a G110 and thankfully it was defective and I returned it to Logitech and sold the replacement on SA Mart. The illumination wasn't very good and it felt cheap. I realized I'd probably never use all those hotkeys. I loved the turn volume wheel on the Elite keyboard, but the rolly volume wheel on the g110 is much less sensitive, requiring a ton of rolling. Most keyboards have a separate + key and - key for volume, not a single wheel or something, so that was a big plus for the g110 in my opinion, but due to its sensitivity, it was annoying.

The g110 built in sound card is cool, but if you plug in a headset, you can't transmit sound out of any other input. The individual mute mic and mute headset sound is cool. The USB port can't handle anything much higher than a mouse or usb thumbdrive.

I love logitech products. I've used logitech mouses for as long as I can remember, my last two speaker sets were logitech, and I've had this Elite keyboard for probably 8 years. The G110 was not at the standards of those other products and I was disappointed in it coming from our keyboard.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Harping on the Apple wireless keyboard again, does anyone have any long term usage reports, especially with gaming? I find that the wireless keyboard is great for gaming, but I wonder if my constant hammering on WASD won't wear down those keys quickly. Just wondering how the longevity of this puppy stacks up.

I generally don't wear out most keyboards, but this one just happens to have cost me $80, so I'm a bit more conscious.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Anyone know why Das discontinued the Model S? If they had replaced the right windows key with their function button instead of the left (and it wasn't discontinued) it would be the perfect keyboard for me.

Trying to decide if I want to try to get one, shouldn't be too difficult.

E: It's weird, it still appears on their site, no errant mention at all, but when you try to buy from them, it's labelled discontinued.

E2: Why Das is recalling the Model S Dang? I don't know what to think, as that article was posted in november, and claimed a new fixed version would be available 'mid-december'.

E3: Das Keyboard Store. Guh, they're not selling the Model S with media functions anymore.

I know there's comparatively few choices for mechanical keyboards, but there's even fewer ones with extra functions.
All I really want is a keyboard with cherry browns and a master mute button. Anything else would be nice but unnecessary. Anyone know of one fitting such a bill?

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 11, 2010

very
Jan 25, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Harping on the Apple wireless keyboard again, does anyone have any long term usage reports, especially with gaming? I find that the wireless keyboard is great for gaming, but I wonder if my constant hammering on WASD won't wear down those keys quickly. Just wondering how the longevity of this puppy stacks up.

I generally don't wear out most keyboards, but this one just happens to have cost me $80, so I'm a bit more conscious.

They're very solid. I wouldn't worry about it.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Teledahn posted:

E2: Why Das is recalling the Model S Dang? I don't know what to think, as that article was posted in november, and claimed a new fixed version would be available 'mid-december'.
The recall program wrapped up a long time ago. Everything out there has the revised edition.

quote:

All I really want is a keyboard with cherry browns and a master mute button. Anything else would be nice but unnecessary. Anyone know of one fitting such a bill?
Use your tool of choice to remap a keyboard combination for audio mute, say ctrl+shift+q.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The Model S Silent has brown switches, correct?

Aside from supposedly having media key functions, which don't seem to appear on retailers pages and I think are no longer available, and the original apparently lacking PS2 support, are there any more differences between the Model S and the Original?

very
Jan 25, 2005

My Filco with cherry blacks just came in. I got blacks because this keyboard is for home and I wanted something quieter and also better for gaming.

Typing on this thing is very different from the brown switches. I normally bottom out every keypress with the browns, but if I try to do that with the blacks my fingers will wear out quite quickly. It doesn't take much pressure or travel to actuate the keys, but it takes quite a bit of pressure to hit the bottom.

I guess this keyboard might just train me to type without bottoming out the keys. It is much quieter for that reason alone, but it still has a very satisfying feel and sound.

I'm noticing that my Home/End/Page Up/Page Down keys aren't doing what I would expect, but maybe that is an OS X thing.

Edit: The LEDs are red and way too bright.

very fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 13, 2010

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Do you guys recommend buying a Unicomp or should I just get a Filco/Topre?

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
I just bought a Unicomp Customizer 104 and I'm happy with the internals, but the build quality could be a little better, as the LEDs do not line up with the windows on the sticker, and there is a lot of flashing on the keys.

Typing's a little lighter than my IBM, and the click is higher pitched and more "pingy" but not too much.

I like my 1988 Mod. M better but at least I won't feel guilty if I kill this with soda.

If you just want a black model M with windows keys it's pretty much the same experience if you've used a model M.

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

doctorfrog posted:

I switched a few months ago and have been doing a lot of WASD WoW and FPS gaming. No problems at all and I actually like the feel. The keyboard is holding up really well.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Do you guys recommend buying a Unicomp or should I just get a Filco/Topre?

I actually came here to post about my new Unicomp 104. I really like the feel of this board, but it's god damned big. I wish I would have gone with the space saver model, which has the same buttons and layout but with a smaller form factor.

After typing on it, I'm unsure spending an additional $50 or so for a Filco board would give me any tangible gain. But it's loud and ugly, just like the keyboards I learned to type on. Coming from a logitech illuminated board, it's a transcendant experience.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nadesico posted:

I switched a few months ago and have been doing a lot of WASD WoW and FPS gaming. No problems at all and I actually like the feel. The keyboard is holding up really well.

Good to know, thanks. I really like this keyboard, and I'm glad that I forced myself to learn how to use hjklyubn with Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup early on.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Siroc posted:

I love logitech products. I've used logitech mouses for as long as I can remember, my last two speaker sets were logitech, and I've had this Elite keyboard for probably 8 years. The G110 was not at the standards of those other products and I was disappointed in it coming from our keyboard.

Can anybody comment specifically on the quality of the G19? People in this thread have said they love the G19, but is that due to features, quality, or both?

EDIT: Has anyone used the sdk for the G19? Is it easy to use/learn?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MasterWerk posted:

I actually came here to post about my new Unicomp 104. I really like the feel of this board, but it's god damned big. I wish I would have gone with the space saver model, which has the same buttons and layout but with a smaller form factor.

After typing on it, I'm unsure spending an additional $50 or so for a Filco board would give me any tangible gain. But it's loud and ugly, just like the keyboards I learned to type on. Coming from a logitech illuminated board, it's a transcendant experience.

I loving love my Unicomp model M. Best keyboard I have ever used. Also after a few months it is breaking in nicely. Keys are a bit less hard to push and smoother. I have no clue why anyone is messing with cherry switches.. I have tried them and the feel like cheap model M switch knock offs. Then again my opinions suck.

quote:

Coming from a logitech illuminated board, it's a transcendant experience.
My god isn't this the case. Typing on these things makes me happy which is an odd thing to say.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have an original Saitek Eclipse that I got about 4-5 years ago and I'm looking to upgrade so what would be a good replacement keyboard for gaming? I wouldn't want to spend over a $100 if possible. Is the Logitech G15 in the OP a good choice or is there something better for games/general use?

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

very posted:

Uh, really? My printed keycaps are doing this same thing. I guess I'll email EliteKeyboards.

very
Jan 25, 2005

illamint posted:

Uh, really? My printed keycaps are doing this same thing. I guess I'll email EliteKeyboards.

I was going by what they had written on the web pages. The oktaku page mentioned the coating, the other ones did not.

I'm really not noticing any difference with the non-coated keys.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
Has anyone heard anything about the New Eclipse - named Cyborg V.5? The silver keys are gone and so is the option for the blue backlight, but it seem to have gained an anti-ghosting feature. It's sold out everywhere and it isn't even being carried by Newegg or Amazon. Could it be a contender or at least an upgrade to the original Eclipse?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

The original eclipse is the mushiest goddamn keyboard.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

bloodynose posted:

The original eclipse is the mushiest goddamn keyboard.
Well, I opened Eclipse up a few times to clean up some soda (don't spill anything because you will break a few plastic threads) and it looks like the standard rubber dome setup, so what you mean is the Eclipse II, which is recommended in the op, is different?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Well, I opened Eclipse up a few times to clean up some soda (don't spill anything because you will break a few plastic threads) and it looks like the standard rubber dome setup, so what you mean is the Eclipse II, which is recommended in the op, is different?

Not all rubber domes are created equal.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I'm about to upgrade from using this Logitech Ultra X for 6 years (not the same board, but same model) to a Filco. I was leaning towards blue switches but couldn't decide. I came in to ask if anyone had suggestions about how to pick if I've never used one before but I found sound clips and reviews in the thread. I like the idea of the more audible clicks but it seems that most people who ended up with the blue here think that they would have been happier with the brown. $130 is a lot to blind buy a keyboard on so I'm being indecisive. I think I'm going to end up with the browns after this thread, though.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

rivals posted:

I'm about to upgrade from using this Logitech Ultra X for 6 years (not the same board, but same model) to a Filco. I was leaning towards blue switches but couldn't decide. I came in to ask if anyone had suggestions about how to pick if I've never used one before but I found sound clips and reviews in the thread. I like the idea of the more audible clicks but it seems that most people who ended up with the blue here think that they would have been happier with the brown. $130 is a lot to blind buy a keyboard on so I'm being indecisive. I think I'm going to end up with the browns after this thread, though.

I wouldn't recommend Blues as a first switch for anyone unless they were coming from a Model M and would completely miss having a loud rear end keyboard.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I use a laptop on a side table with a wireless keyboard and mouse (currently HP Wireless Elite and Logitech VX Nano). I don't sit at a desk and the keyboard is in my lap. It would be nice to have a light weight, simplified gaming keyboard (although my wife says she'd laugh at me if I got one).

I looked at the top two but there seems to be fatal flaws with both. Namely, they both lack the top number keys IF you use the ASDW keys for gaming (indents for fingers, to easily find position, I need them). Plus they are kinda pricey at like 70 bucks for something that would not work the way it should for gaming. I don't mind spending a little extra moneys for my gaming habit but it needs to work right.

The Saitek looks good but wish it had more keys at the top (only number 1-4). The Cyber has all the keys but looks cheep as hell (and the number keys are small, in the wrong place from normal keyboard).

Edit: The Warrior just looks funky but don't know if it works.

So what are goons opinions on these gaming keyboards and do you guys have any other recommendations?

Logitech G13

Belkin n52te

Saitek Cyborg Command Unit

Cyber Snipa Game Pad

Warrior Gaming Keypad

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 24, 2010

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

londerwost posted:

So what are goons opinions on these gaming keyboards and do you guys have any other recommendations?

I have the overkill version of the wolfking with a full keyboard on the side and I absolutely love it for both FPSs and RPGs. I vastly prefer it to my old belkin gamepad.

very
Jan 25, 2005

londerwost posted:

They all look terrible. What do they provide over a regular keyboard?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
They're 1/3 to 1/2 the width.

I have a n52 and wouldn't recommend it.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
The G13 is really comfortable and it automatically loads game profiles when they start. However, it can have problems finding some Steam games, so you'll have to manually add the game's .exe and do the key-bindings yourself. Logitech reps on their forums say that they're working on getting that fixed.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

very posted:

They all look terrible. What do they provide over a regular keyboard?

For RPGs and especially MMOs they provide access to way more keys than a normal keyboard layout, along with a more natural wasd cluster.

very
Jan 25, 2005

Full Circle posted:

For RPGs and especially MMOs they provide access to way more keys than a normal keyboard layout, along with a more natural wasd cluster.

Maybe the wolf king has enough keys for me to play WoW with (the others.. not even close) although I'd have to learn where the buttons are. I already have muscle memory for all of the keys on my keyboard.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

londerwost posted:

I use a laptop on a side table with a wireless keyboard and mouse (currently HP Wireless Elite and Logitech VX Nano). I don't sit at a desk and the keyboard is in my lap. It would be nice to have a light weight, simplified gaming keyboard (although my wife says she'd laugh at me if I got one).

I looked at the top two but there seems to be fatal flaws with both. Namely, they both lack the top number keys IF you use the ASDW keys for gaming (indents for fingers, to easily find position, I need them). Plus they are kinda pricey at like 70 bucks for something that would not work the way it should for gaming. I don't mind spending a little extra moneys for my gaming habit but it needs to work right.

The Saitek looks good but wish it had more keys at the top (only number 1-4). The Cyber has all the keys but looks cheep as hell (and the number keys are small, in the wrong place from normal keyboard).

Edit: The Warrior just looks funky but don't know if it works.

Logitech G13

Incoming rant about how much I love this retarded thing

I literally could not game anymore without the G13.

I bought it half expecting it would be something that gets tossed into the "almost good but can't get used to it" pile, but instead it is goddamned irreplaceable.

What sets it aside from the Belkin is the build quality. The thing is a tank. Heavy, durable, and the keys aren't terribly mushy or awkward (as they are on the Belkin).

I was originally going to get a n52 to try it out but it felt so fisher-price in my hands I went looking for something else, and read about the logitech (this was back in like march of last year).

The thumb-stick for forward/backward/strafe movement flows very nicely and I didn't have any issues getting used to it, and I'm a longtime M2/ASD user (default mouse config in Q1). It frees up so many keys and fingers that it opens up possibilities I never really considered before buying the thing.

For one: I now use my index finger on my left hand for firing in BFBC2 (basically the [D] key), something I never thought I would do, but when things are hectic it keeps me from shaking my mouse using the M1 button.

I also dropped a ton of key combinations in WoW. I basically used a combination of 12345QEFR with the ctrl/poo poo/alt keys. I remember setting Horn of Winter to Shift-Q because I had no other free keys left, and it started cramping my hand. The G13 let me dump pretty much all shift/alt/ctrl combinations altogether.

At first I was disappointed that the thumbstick isn't analog, but it really does not matter.

The worst thing about it was finding room for it on my desk. It may not seem like it from the picture but the thing is pretty large. I had a Model-M that I had used for 20 years, but setting the G13 to the left of it made me spread my arms a bit too much to be comfy. I ended up getting a smaller keyboard and laying it out like so:

I've replaced that mac keyboard with a Filco tenkeyless cherry blue at this point, and I set my mousepad turned 90 degrees, but you get the point. It sits between my mouse and keyboard.

The thing is just amazing and I am terrified that when mine breaks there wont be a suitable replacement. I honestly don't know what could be done to improve it except maybe giving the keys a little tactile feedback, but that is just a personal preference.

Ruklo Burosee posted:

The G13 is really comfortable and it automatically loads game profiles when they start. However, it can have problems finding some Steam games, so you'll have to manually add the game's .exe and do the key-bindings yourself. Logitech reps on their forums say that they're working on getting that fixed.

Odd, I always just manually set the path for the executable for every game, I've never had it automatically detect. Steam games don't really act any different for this reason.

I have a default configuration that works for most generic FPS/shooter types and another that works for most MMO types. When you create a new profile (I delete all of the default ones) you can use one of the existing profiles as a template, it usually isn't a big deal.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I would go to Best Buy after work and buy a G13 today if it had an extra row of buttons where the number keys are supposed to be... but it doesn't, so I won't.

Seriously, why didn't they include a number key row?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
You can use the M keys to change between mappings on-the-fly. That would technically give you a whole new set of 22 keys, though I don't think it would work as well in twitch games like it does in RTS or MMOs.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

I would go to Best Buy after work and buy a G13 today if it had an extra row of buttons where the number keys are supposed to be... but it doesn't, so I won't.

Seriously, why didn't they include a number key row?

I don't get it. You set the keys for whatever you want them to be. There's 4 rows of keys. It isn't a literal keyboard replacement, there's no TAB or spacebar or number row, just 22 similar keys and a thumbstick. I guess you could say it's basically 4 number rows.

Remember, if you use the thing correctly for a MMO/FPS where you normally would have WASD bound for movement, those keys are now free to use for whatever. I rest my hand on the dimpled keys but I don't use them for movement any longer. I originally thought the thumbstick would be poo poo for movement, but it is actually really good.

For games like BFBC2, the 2 top left and the 2 right below it are set for 1-4 and I use those with my to change weapons. [A] is reload, [S] is my scope/iron-sight key and [D] is my primary fire.

In StarCraft 2, I set the keys to the grid hotkey configuration and used the thumbstick to pan around the map. Since you can set any button for whatever, I changed what the attack keys were set to and instead placed them as the buttons next to the thmubstick.

If you are curious just buy it someplace with a no-hassle return policy and try it out for a week. I know Microcenter has taken back a few things I've bought without any hassle, you can always just claim that the software is poo poo or that it doesn't work as advertised or whatever.

Ruklo Burosee posted:

You can use the M keys to change between mappings on-the-fly. That would technically give you a whole new set of 22 keys, though I don't think it would work as well in twitch games like it does in RTS or MMOs.

I do pretty well in "twitch" games with it. It's perfectly responsive.

e: Oh you mean the on-the-fly buttons. I never actually use those, but you are right, they probably aren't the best for fast action games.

I don't think I've ever had a need to change the button profile while playing a game.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 24, 2010

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

I've had both and the keys look and feel exactly the same. I've had a Saitek Eclipse II for about two years and the plastic clips on the space bar have broken and my O key has almost completely worn out. The purple LED setting is broken and displays half the keyboard as blue. Ghosting is the same on both the Saitek I and Saitek II

In my experience, there's nothing about Saitek keyboards that make them "gaming keyboards" except for the pretty led backlights. For the price, they are awful. avoid them.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

londerwost posted:

I have used a Saitek Command Unit for all my games for around 3 years now. I got it specifically because it is the smallest of the gaming keyboards on the market (I have a very small desk). I like it a lot - the keys are large and responsive, and you always know where your fingers are. The thumb stick is small and light, but responsive and precise enough for games that support analog controls. Only downside is that the software is a bit crap, but I haven't used it for years. Instead I remap the keys with custom AutoHotKey scripts, which I can recommend no matter what gaming keyboard you use - there's really no limit to what sort of keyboard macros and weird shortcuts you can make, if you have a little scripting experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Linux Nazi posted:

In StarCraft 2, I... used the thumbstick to pan around the map.

Wow, that might be very handy.

• Locked thread