Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

archwhore posted:

I'm posting this here because I don't know if it's serious enough for a new thread.

Just got back from the e-vet and he doesn't have crystals or a blockage or kidney stones. But his urine is full of blood and his bladder is inflamed. She gave me antibiotics, and an anti-inflammatory. She also told me to put him on wet food for a while. They are going to test his urine to find out what caused his bladder to become inflamed in the first place so I should know in a couple of days.

Does all of this sound right? This is my first pet and this is the first health issue he's had... can I do any more to help him other than the meds and food the vet gave me?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Sierra (2 yr old retriever/border collie) has started resisting bedtime a little bit in the past couple of weeks. We put her in her crate as usual and go to bed only to hear whining, crying, and eventually sad little barks. We wait for her to stop for maybe 10-20 seconds and then come and let her out, and take her outside again (she usually doesn't do anything but sniff around) and put her back in the crate. Sometimes my husband will just sit in the room with her (our computers are there) until she is settled again and go back to bed... Usually the second time around she stays quiet but it's a pain. My questions are... is it common for a dog who's been crated no problem for 6 months to have this kind of 'sleep regression'? Is she testing her boundaries? And more importantly does anyone have any tips to get her back to going to sleep like a good girl?

I kind of think it's because she's not getting as much exercise as she was... It's gotten warm lately (30 degrees humidex today) and she doesn't like it at all. We take her out for the same amount of time as usual but she is too hot to play and run. She will chase a ball or stick a couple of times or play with another dog for a few minutes and then sit down in the shade. So if it is the exercise thing I'm not sure what to do... :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Longpig posted:

I kind of think it's because she's not getting as much exercise as she was... It's gotten warm lately (30 degrees humidex today) and she doesn't like it at all. We take her out for the same amount of time as usual but she is too hot to play and run. She will chase a ball or stick a couple of times or play with another dog for a few minutes and then sit down in the shade. So if it is the exercise thing I'm not sure what to do... :(

Maybe water games? Do you have a sprinkler or something she can play in to keep her cool while she plays? That might help, if exercise is the problem, if that's even an option.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

archwhore posted:

Just got back from the e-vet and he doesn't have crystals or a blockage or kidney stones. But his urine is full of blood and his bladder is inflamed. She gave me antibiotics, and an anti-inflammatory. She also told me to put him on wet food for a while. They are going to test his urine to find out what caused his bladder to become inflamed in the first place so I should know in a couple of days.

Does all of this sound right? This is my first pet and this is the first health issue he's had... can I do any more to help him other than the meds and food the vet gave me?

:ohdear:

Poor baby :( Again, you're an amazing owner for noticing even though he was trying to hide it. Keep following the vet's instructions and keep us updated.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Is there any advantage to topical flea medication for my cat over something like capstar?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Huntersoninski posted:

Maybe water games? Do you have a sprinkler or something she can play in to keep her cool while she plays? That might help, if exercise is the problem, if that's even an option.

She is afraid of sprinklers, and doesn't like getting splashed. :/ I think she might be more into a kiddy pool but I don't want to buy one and have her ignore it...

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Lackadaisical posted:

Is there any advantage to topical flea medication for my cat over something like capstar?

If I understand things right, capstar will kill all the fleas on them right now but the topical kills them right now AND keeps them away.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How about a happy question for once? Today is Balen's 5th birthday. I'm a retard, so I celebrate the dogs' birthdays with a little extra something special every year. This year, Amythest got to go running around her favorite baseball diamond for a few hours instead of the 20-30 minutes she usually gets out there. Last year, each of them went to the beach.

Okinawa is ridiculously pet unfriendly, in spades when you're talking about a dog that's 150 pounds. There's no official dog parks, one 'petsmart' like store, and the first doggie daycare is opening next week. Unfortunately, last year at the beach, a little wave knocked Balen over so now he's wary of the beach. It's an island. That's pretty much what there is to do. He's extremely social, but I seem to be stuck in finding an option that'll let him be social.

Any suggestions, PI? I'm considering taking him over to Petbox (the petsmart-like store) and letting him go on a nice, long walk throughout the city in that area, but maybe you guys will have a couple of ideas.

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!
Hey, does this look like a reputable breeder? http://www.snowangelssamoyeds.com

They link to the pedigrees of their breeding dogs, but I can't really make heads or tails of these AKC trees for crap. I understand that samoyeds are generally healthy though can suffer from hip displasia. Is this something I should be looking for good breeders to be forthcoming about (testing, etc.) and if so, what would be proof that they are taking this into consideration when breeding.

Note: I am not looking to purchase from them, but they are geographically really close to me and I'm interested in talking to someone straight up about samoyeds without wondering if he/she is sugarcoating to convince me to buy a cute ball of white fur.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.

MockTurtle posted:

If I understand things right, capstar will kill all the fleas on them right now but the topical kills them right now AND keeps them away.

Frontline sure as hell doesn't do this on our cats. Maybe Revolution or something, but Frontline has really sucked lately at keeping them away.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Citizen Insane posted:

Frontline sure as hell doesn't do this on our cats. Maybe Revolution or something, but Frontline has really sucked lately at keeping them away.

Hows your flea problem coming since getting your house done?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Wally P posted:

They link to the pedigrees of their breeding dogs, but I can't really make heads or tails of these AKC trees for crap. I understand that samoyeds are generally healthy though can suffer from hip displasia. Is this something I should be looking for good breeders to be forthcoming about (testing, etc.) and if so, what would be proof that they are taking this into consideration when breeding.

Note: I am not looking to purchase from them, but they are geographically really close to me and I'm interested in talking to someone straight up about samoyeds without wondering if he/she is sugarcoating to convince me to buy a cute ball of white fur.

They look fine as far as I can tell. Breeding their male to their female is the only slightly odd thing (and I don't think it's too big a deal). Though it's a bit hard to tell (reading that site makes me want to shoot myself) they definitely show and do clearances. They seem a little too caught up in their dogs being perfect little angels though, which would worry me if what you are looking for is to talk to someone who is realistic about their breed. The site might be misleading, but I'm not sure those people are realistic about anything. That site has so much sugarcoating in every sentence I'm pretty sure I now have diabetes.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Wally P posted:

All in all they look like they're doing a number of things right: they don't have many dogs, the dogs seem to live in a home environment, several dogs have been championed, etc. They seem to be really involved and active with their dogs, which is important to me.

I see that they've posted health test results for a few dogs, but not all of them. If you were to get a puppy through this breeder I would insist on seeing the test results for the parents. I'm not familiar with the breed so I'm not sure what else to require beyond the basics: CERF, OFA.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.

Kerfuffle posted:

Hows your flea problem coming since getting your house done?

Terrible. We took all the animals out for the day last Friday (and dosed them again with Capstar and Frontline Plus for good measure while we were out), they came in and sprayed the house and yards, we came back and hoovered the entire house every night as instructed by the exterminators, everything seemed marvelous ... and I woke up yesterday with my ankles covered in bites. Found two fleas on the cats as well.

There was a 60-day guarantee in place so they'll have to come back again for free, but I believe under federal law they're not allowed to spray again for like 25 days after the first time. So yeah, we're in for a very itchy couple of weeks. :(

Oddly I haven't seen any fleas or scratching on Murphy. The only difference I can figure is we gave him Comfortis instead of Capstar?

Citizen Insane fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 24, 2010

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

I see that they've posted health test results for a few dogs, but not all of them. If you were to get a puppy through this breeder I would insist on seeing the test results for the parents. I'm not familiar with the breed so I'm not sure what else to require beyond the basics: CERF, OFA.

They say they have done health testing but I can't find any of their dogs on the OFA site using their name or registration number so that's a little fishy to me. They could have used Pennhip instead of OFA but they should still have CERF numbers since they say they did eye testing.

According to the Samoyed Club of America eye problems and hip dysplasia are things to watch out for so when you're ready to get a puppy be sure to ask for OFA and CERF info on both the parents (and as many relatives as you can stand looking at).

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Citizen Insane posted:

Terrible. We took all the animals out for the day last Friday (and dosed them again with Capstar and Frontline Plus for good measure while we were out), they came in and sprayed the house and yards, we came back and hoovered the entire house every night as instructed by the exterminators, everything seemed marvelous ... and I woke up yesterday with my ankles covered in bites. Found two fleas on the cats as well.

There was a 60-day guarantee in place so they'll have to come back again for free, but I believe under federal law they're not allowed to spray again for like 25 days after the first time. So yeah, we're in for a very itchy couple of weeks. :(

Oddly I haven't seen any fleas or scratching on Murphy. The only difference I can figure is we gave him Comfortis instead of Capstar?

drat, that sounds like a serious rear end case of fleas. :( I'd totally get your floors steam cleaned if it's in your budget.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

drat, that sounds like a serious rear end case of fleas. :( I'd totally get your floors steam cleaned if it's in your budget.

That's the next step, yeah. It's so weird, it's not like they're jumping all over us, I'll just occasionally spot one or see the cats scratching or find another bite on my ankles and know the game is afoot. It's like an invisible infestation or something. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Citizen Insane posted:

That's the next step, yeah. It's so weird, it's not like they're jumping all over us, I'll just occasionally spot one or see the cats scratching or find another bite on my ankles and know the game is afoot. It's like an invisible infestation or something. :(
Keep in mind that they don't go away overnight or even in like 2 weeks. It will probably be maybe a month of persistent vacuuming everyday before you aren't seeing them anymore. Hopefully you'll start seeing fewer after the steaming. :( Ugggh I hate fleas. :gonk:

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

They say they have done health testing but I can't find any of their dogs on the OFA site using their name or registration number so that's a little fishy to me. They could have used Pennhip instead of OFA but they should still have CERF numbers since they say they did eye testing.

I found the OFA listing of "Halo" since they listed his OFA number, so there's that, at least. Either way, I doubt I'm in a position to handle owning a puppy, so I'll probably just ask them for information. We'll see if I come away with a cavity and sugar shock.

Sidenote, these champion names are ridiculous.

Thanks for the quick help, PI

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

For the past couple months I have had a chipmunk living under my deck. A couple days ago she brought her children out (well, at least one, don't know if all the ones I saw were different or the same one). Anyway, some idiots that live by me let their cats roam around and I saw one yesterday in my yard and it looked like it had something in its mouth.

I tried not to think about it and was hoping to see the chipmunk out today, but have not. I did see one of the smaller children come out. It looked at a piece of banana I had put out, looked confused, and went back in the burrow. Later, a rabbit was in the yard (I see them occasionally), but it came up on the deck. It also looked like it stuck its head in the small hole leading to the chipmunk's burrow. I have never seen a rabbit do any of these things before.

Basically what I'm asking is if my chipmunk friend is dead? :smith: I'm hoping against hope that maybe she isn't... do chipmunks ever send their children out by themselves three days or so after their first time leaving the burrow? Hopefully someone has some kind of positive news or I'll just keep being sad and pissed off at my idiot neighbors who let their pets run loose and animal control who won't do anything about it.

edit: are the children going to die too? :smith:

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 25, 2010

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
yesterday I noticed my hedgehog had a sticky bum. As in, his poop was sticking to him, which usually it does not. I changed his diet recently (within the past week) to a high quality cat food (he was on a hedgehog diet before). I also started giving him low-fat soft cat treats which he loves (only 1-2 per day). I called my vet today and scheduled an appt for Friday (we live a few hours away). Tonight, I was able to watch him more closely than last night and noticed that he is dragging his bottom on the floor occasionally. He did a well formed albeit somewhat sticky poo just now, with a little residue and some he had before. I decided instead of pulling it off to give him a quick dip in water, his poos in the water were green (this is normal) and he lost a whisker. When I went to pick him up I think I hurt him because he made a sound I've never heard before. Should I call the vet tomorrow and schedule another appointment for sooner or am I just freaking out over nothing?

edit: I'm just going to call the vet first thing and go today.
PS he isn't dehydrated and is eating/drinking normally. He's also acting normally, apart from the dragging the butt thing/diarrhea.

Fatty Patty fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 25, 2010

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'm not a hedgehog person, but when you change cats to high protein food suddenly they go through a stinky messy poop phase. It could be a similar thing-- their little digestive systems don't do well with sudden changes. If I'm right, it'll clear up in a week or so. I do not know about the rest of that behavior, but I hope he's just having a tummy upset because of new food.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Do they make puzzle ball/games for cats? A ball under a box is sending my cat into previously unseen levels of activity, I can only imagine what a puzzle ball might do.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm not a hedgehog person, but when you change cats to high protein food suddenly they go through a stinky messy poop phase. It could be a similar thing-- their little digestive systems don't do well with sudden changes. If I'm right, it'll clear up in a week or so. I do not know about the rest of that behavior, but I hope he's just having a tummy upset because of new food.

About that stinky poop phase, I recently added a cat from a rescue who was on Science Diet. I switched him to Blue Buffalo pretty quickly as he liked it just fine and I free fed the other cat anyways. (Vet says she's perfect weight so I just let her graze.)

He has the most noxious poop ever. The litter doesn't stand a chance. It's not runny or weird looking (aside from being huge, you'd swear I had a toddler crapping in the box,) but holy hell does it smell. I used to be able to keep the boxes in the main bathroom when I only had Max, but now they've got their own separate space. How long is this supposed to go on? :gonk:

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Fatty Patty posted:

yesterday I noticed my hedgehog had a sticky bum. As in, his poop was sticking to him, which usually it does not. I changed his diet recently (within the past week) to a high quality cat food (he was on a hedgehog diet before). I also started giving him low-fat soft cat treats which he loves (only 1-2 per day). I called my vet today and scheduled an appt for Friday (we live a few hours away). Tonight, I was able to watch him more closely than last night and noticed that he is dragging his bottom on the floor occasionally. He did a well formed albeit somewhat sticky poo just now, with a little residue and some he had before. I decided instead of pulling it off to give him a quick dip in water, his poos in the water were green (this is normal) and he lost a whisker. When I went to pick him up I think I hurt him because he made a sound I've never heard before. Should I call the vet tomorrow and schedule another appointment for sooner or am I just freaking out over nothing?

edit: I'm just going to call the vet first thing and go today.
PS he isn't dehydrated and is eating/drinking normally. He's also acting normally, apart from the dragging the butt thing/diarrhea.

went to the vet today, she says she's almost sure the sticky poops are due to the dietary change. She said it will probably last another week, and if he still has sticky poops after that to try switching him back to the old food. She thinks he's really healthy overall, which is good. Unfortunately couldn't do a fecal sample because Freddie wouldn't poop :( Took two hours to get there and we were there for two hours and still no poops.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

Two different types of clumps in the litter box:
- One is clay-like and kinda bounces in the scooper
- One is hard and pretty solid

Which one is the poop and which one is the pee. Breaking them apart and examining them hasn't worked well so far. :saddowns:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

archwhore posted:

Two different types of clumps in the litter box:
- One is clay-like and kinda bounces in the scooper
- One is hard and pretty solid

Which one is the poop and which one is the pee. Breaking them apart and examining them hasn't worked well so far. :saddowns:

The poop should look like miniature people poop, but covered in sand. Sounds like all you have are pee clumps.

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

The poop should look like miniature people poop, but covered in sand. Sounds like all you have are pee clumps.

Is there any way to tell other than the shape?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

archwhore posted:

Is there any way to tell other than the shape?

Well, one looks like poo poo and the other looks like wet sand clumps. That is, assuming you have clumping litter. If you have non-clumping litter, I'm not sure what the pee looks like. (and you are talking about a cat, right? and not something else that uses a litterbox like a rabbit or a ferret or...?)

archwhore
Oct 4, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

Well, one looks like poo poo and the other looks like wet sand clumps. That is, assuming you have clumping litter. If you have non-clumping litter, I'm not sure what the pee looks like. (and you are talking about a cat, right? and not something else that uses a litterbox like a rabbit or a ferret or...?)

Yes, I'm talking about a cat and yes, I use clumping litter. And I'm only really wondering what the difference is when the poop isn't shaped like normal poop and the pee isn't shaped like normal pee. Where there is a clump that looks like a slightly flattened golfball, how do I tell what it is.

I know little logs are poop and giant piles of wet sand are pee, but what about the clumps that look like neither.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
they are cat eggs. congratulations!

(pee)

w8wtf
Apr 20, 2007

you wouldn't feed your sister or brother or father to another animal (but who knows, maybe you would?)

Fatty Patty posted:

went to the vet today, she says she's almost sure the sticky poops are due to the dietary change. She said it will probably last another week, and if he still has sticky poops after that to try switching him back to the old food. She thinks he's really healthy overall, which is good. Unfortunately couldn't do a fecal sample because Freddie wouldn't poop :( Took two hours to get there and we were there for two hours and still no poops.

Have you considered trying a different vet? I don't think going back to low-quality food is the next step if a diet change hasn't resolved itself in two weeks. Your information, combined with the new behavior (the noise) means I'd be watching carefully for something else that might be wrong.

Also, play it safe and always bring poop from home. You could probably even mail the doc a sample.

Edit: What did the noise sound like?

w8wtf fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 27, 2010

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Okay, what on earth did my dog do?

We were chilling on the bed (I grew up with cats and am used to letting pets on furniture, don't judge me!) and I heard some licking noises, and then smelled what I thought was just a dog fart. Later, when I checked, however, there was a little tannish liquid there. She didn't stand up/squat at any point, and had been on a potty break not long before that.

My best guess is that she expressed an anal gland or something, but is that even plausible?

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Okay, what on earth did my dog do?

We were chilling on the bed (I grew up with cats and am used to letting pets on furniture, don't judge me!) and I heard some licking noises, and then smelled what I thought was just a dog fart. Later, when I checked, however, there was a little tannish liquid there. She didn't stand up/squat at any point, and had been on a potty break not long before that.

My best guess is that she expressed an anal gland or something, but is that even plausible?

I would say yes, anal gland was expressed. It can happen and she probably put enough pressure while licking that some of it was squirted out. :barf:

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

PumpkinPirate posted:

I would say yes, anal gland was expressed. It can happen and she probably put enough pressure while licking that some of it was squirted out. :barf:

Okay, good. Gross as that is, it's less problematic than some kind of housetraining lapse. Even so, I feel very smart for keeping Nature's Miracle around at all times.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

w8wtf posted:

Have you considered trying a different vet? I don't think going back to low-quality food is the next step if a diet change hasn't resolved itself in two weeks. Your information, combined with the new behavior (the noise) means I'd be watching carefully for something else that might be wrong.

Also, play it safe and always bring poop from home. You could probably even mail the doc a sample.

Edit: What did the noise sound like?

This vet was recommended to me by the HWS. I originally went to a vet in my town and he had never seen a hedgehog before. The Sunseed Hedgehog formula isn't low-quality...well, it doesn't seem low-quality anyway (ingredients are listed here if you are curious: http://www.petco.com/product/106692/Sun-Seed-Sunscription-Vita-Hedgehog-Adult-Food.aspx ). Fish, chicken, and dried up mealworms seem like a good combination, but most 'hedgehog foods' are low-quality, I just think this one is the exception. I am still watching him like a hawk. The vet was pretty adamant about me bringing in a sample that was less than 24 hours old and kept refrigerated. I am trying to head back tomorrow to give her the sample.

The noise is kinda hard to describe. I give him baths either in the tub or in the bathroom sink, usually the sink if he just needs a quick wash. He tries to get out because he hates water and he makes the chirping noises when he's trying to climb the walls of the sink. When I went to pick him up it sounded like a much louder chirp (singular chirp). I freaked out and put him down on the counter and then picked him up again, no chirp. I think he was just distressed from the water, but it could be something else. edit: also, he didn't open his mouth when he made the noise.

On a brighter note, the diarrhea is gone and his poops aren't sticking to him anymore. Which means no more butt rubbing on the floor, yay! He seems to be in a better mood too, he spent hours last night running around and snuggling up to my feet.

Here's a question: He loves to climb. If I sit on the floor indian style, he'll climb up on my legs, run around, and climb back down. Repeat repeat repeat. He tries to find new ways to climb up or down every time until he gets bored. Is there some sort of toy I could buy (with sides obviously so he wouldn't fall) that incorporates this climbing game? He chirps so happily when he's doing it.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
Which vet did you end up getting sent to? The only two I'd be comfortable seeing hedgehogs are Avian and Exotic in Raleigh or Carolina Veterinary Specialists in Huntersville.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

Rodent Mortician posted:

Which vet did you end up getting sent to? The only two I'd be comfortable seeing hedgehogs are Avian and Exotic in Raleigh or Carolina Veterinary Specialists in Huntersville.

I went to Avian and Exotic and saw Dr. Leonatti. Was originally supposed to see Dr. Johnson but I re-scheduled so Freddie could go to the vet sooner.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Here's a quick one: I'm going out of town for roughly 48 hours and I can't find someone to cat sit. Other than leaving a lot of food and water out, what can I do to make sure my kitty will be okay? She doesn't really play and really only enjoys sitting on my lap. This is going to be my first time leaving her alone! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Lackadaisical posted:

Here's a quick one: I'm going out of town for roughly 48 hours and I can't find someone to cat sit. Other than leaving a lot of food and water out, what can I do to make sure my kitty will be okay? She doesn't really play and really only enjoys sitting on my lap. This is going to be my first time leaving her alone! :(

Unless she has 'special needs' she ought to be just fine. I like to leave out extra blankets in case the cats get cold, and the hall light on so they have a bit of light. You might want to either close bedroom doors, or make sure they are propped open so she doesn't accidentally lock her self away from food/water/litter.