Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
New stuff, lovely pictures!

Shoei XR-1000, on sale for half price since the new XR-1100 is coming (which still means I paid $280 for it).

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Arai & Shoei really have the best fits (for my head anyway). The Schuberts I've tried all feel like they're made for people with bowling ball heads.

Jofama Tour De Force, taslan textile reinforced with pigskin leather. Waterproof (supposedly).

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Pagan posted:

A couple of questions.

First, pants. I have gear for everything except below the belt. I've never found pants that I like, but I realize they're pretty important. Any good pants, for around $100 to $200? I'm also torn on getting riding pants that are meant to be worn by themselves, or meant to be worn over regular clothes. I used to commute on my bike, so I needed decent looking clothes once I arrived. Now I just ride for fun, so pants that fit by themselves would work.

Second : Communication with other riders. My roommate just started riding (you can see his new GS500 in the "we do it with two" thread) and we'd like to be able to talk to each other on rides. He's thinking a throat microphone would work; something that hooks into a handheld radio, and has earbuds and a mic. It would be great to have something that works on CB band, too, for long trips. I've also head there are kits you can put into a helmet you already own. However, we'd like something that will work on it's own; a handheld radio would also be great for paintball, hiking, etc. Something that just fits into the helmet is only useful on the motorcycle. Any tips or ideas?

For the pants I'd say get overpants with a proper full length zipper. My gf has the TPG Escape overpants and while they are awesomely well built she finds them hard to put on wearing boots. Aerostich Derien or Fieldsheer Mercury pants are both well rated.

For communication we use a Cardo G2 bluetooth setup that works to about 1000+ feet away. Cardo claims that it'll work more than a mile away but I'm not sure if I believe them. One thing that it can do though is work as a headset for your phone with voice activated dialing. So if you ride in a area with cell service you can just call your buddy up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pagan posted:

A couple of questions.

First, pants. I have gear for everything except below the belt. I've never found pants that I like, but I realize they're pretty important. Any good pants, for around $100 to $200? I'm also torn on getting riding pants that are meant to be worn by themselves, or meant to be worn over regular clothes. I used to commute on my bike, so I needed decent looking clothes once I arrived. Now I just ride for fun, so pants that fit by themselves would work.

I have a pair of Scorpion Deuce overpants. Paid just over $100 for them and they have a lot of features for the price. Removable armor in the knees/hips, a removable waterproof liner, and mesh panels in the thighs for ventilation. Overpants are great because you can wear anything underneath (or nothing if that's your thing in hot temps).

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

PadreScout posted:

If you guys do this you have to promise me you will say "Tango down!" at least once a trip.

We both have a military background, so we use all sorts of slang and shorthand without even realizing it. Throw in some avid gaming / movie watching habits, and I'm sure this one will come up, often.

Thanks for the advice on the pants, too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I sort of envision the radios/throat mics/etc being used outside of riding as well. So a full riding only setup (like something put up in the helmet) is not idea.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
what do you guys make of the fabric Dainese is using in the 2010 jackets? 'Mugelo'. Its billed as 90% the protection offered by leather, has anyone here crash tested it or got any opinions on it?

Im thinking about getting my girlfriend the shotgun jacket, I've got the same jacket in a mens and its incredibly comfortable and flows air much better than my perf leather jacket. Of course, now that I'm buying it for her I care a little more about how good it is..

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Whats a good bike friendly GPS. I'll want to hard wire it, but have it come out of the cradle for safe keeping. Has to be safe from the elements (so probably a marine grade one?). Have to be able to use it with gloves on, so 100% touch screen wont work. Also an easy, sensible, voiceless navigation screen is key, if I have to listen to it to understand the directions that's bad.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CX, with a RAM mount. You should be able to find one for like $200-$250. It's not the BEST motorcycle gps out there, but it's cheap, easy to use, and rugged as hell. and pretty water resistant. I get like 12-18 hours out of a set of batteries, but I also have a 12v plug for it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Ive used both the Garmin Zumo 450 and 550. Both are nice, the 550 has bluetooth and is slightly fancier, otherwise they are identical. They're waterproof, work with gloves on, warn you about fuel (you can tell it your bikes range and you receive fuel warnings),all in all decent kit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Armacham posted:

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CX, with a RAM mount. You should be able to find one for like $200-$250. It's not the BEST motorcycle gps out there, but it's cheap, easy to use, and rugged as hell. and pretty water resistant. I get like 12-18 hours out of a set of batteries, but I also have a 12v plug for it.

This but with the street pilot 2610. Less offroad oriented then the 60cx, and no battery though. Bonus, it's cheaper.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blugu64 posted:

This but with the street pilot 2610. Less offroad oriented then the 60cx, and no battery though. Bonus, it's cheaper.

I just picked one of these up for $100 with all sorts of accessories. I've put about 500 miles on it and I am really happy with it. Did 260 miles of rain riding Friday and it didn't have any issues. Only thing I don't love about it is the need to be plugged in for power at all times. May pick up a cheaper battery powered unit for 2-stroke dirt riding.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

PadreScout posted:

Ive used both the Garmin Zumo 450 and 550. Both are nice, the 550 has bluetooth and is slightly fancier, otherwise they are identical. They're waterproof, work with gloves on, warn you about fuel (you can tell it your bikes range and you receive fuel warnings),all in all decent kit.

I have the 550, but get the 450 if you don't care about blutooth.

It is without a doubt the best drat thing I have ever bought for my bike. I love the poo poo out of it. Then again, I have a stereo input on my bike so I am constantly using the MP3 player on it. That goes a long way toward my love of the unit.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
So I live in Canada, which means a whole lot of summer riding but with temps that very, very rarely go anywhere into the 90s. I also am just getting into biking and have been looking at some entry-level gear and was wondering if my choices could be critiqued. Keep in mind my choices in shop are somewhat limited and I would prefer to stay away from straight online ordering if possible, though I am open to suggestions.

Gloves:
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_short_cuff/alpinestars/3_4_motorcycle_gloves.html

Pretty simple; I want a decent amount of protection without going to a massive non-breathing gauntlet. I figure this would be a nice halfway point and the carbon fibre seems attractive.

Jacket:
http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/icon/contra_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

This is whats causing me the most grief. How is the quality of Icon gear? The price and styling of this jacket are really attractive, but if it's going to fall apart within a few months of use then I'll be looking elsewhere. I'm also still a little unsure on when and where to use a mesh jack versus a textile one or full leather versus perforated leather.

I get that mesh and perfed offer more airflow, but at what point are they too cold? Like I said, I am in Canada, and might go for some early morning fall and spring rides, but no real serious winter riding or anything. The Icon gear is also more appealing because it's one of only a few bands I can go and try on in my local store. My other choices are basically limited to Alpinestars, joe Rocket and Teknik. I would consider other options, especially a leather/textile hybrid, but only if they seem far and away the best choice to take.

Pants:
http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/atomic_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

I need decent riding pants, don't really want leather and don't really want black on black power rangergear. This seems to work that area I need.

Boots:
http://www.blackfootdirect.com/p-11503-alpinestars-tech-3at-all-terrain-sole.aspx

I'll be riding dual sport and going over some especially rugged ATV and snowmobile trails in the area I live in, so a full-length boot and, more importantly, some traction on the sole seem to be important. I have heard some people do not like the steel toe at all though. Comments?

-----

The common theme I seem to be running here is not top of the line, but (hopefully) not bottom of the barrel first time riding gear. I definitely want to be protected, but not at huge cost especially when the first few years are going to be very tough on my gear and bike. I'm very open to suggestions, but again keep in my most of my actual shop selection is a little limited and I am hesitant, though not opposed, to buying gear online. Basically as long as I can go in and try the gear on, or something that fits very similar just to get a feel for sizing, I will be happy. New Enough ships to Canada so as long as I know that the gear I would be buying is going to fit without a bunch of returning for a different size hassle, I would also be fine with buying from them. Especially since they're selection is much,much larger than local stores.

Here's my local shop, their selection is a little better in store, some of the stuff they carry isn't on the website quite yet.

http://www.blackfootdirect.com/default.aspx

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 24, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ghostpilots posted:

I get that mesh and perfed offer more airflow, but at what point are they too cold? Like I said, I am in Canada, and might go for some early morning fall and spring rides, but no real serious winter riding or anything. The Icon gear is also more appealing because it's one of only a few bands I can go and try on in my local store. My other choices are basically limited to Alpinestars, joe Rocket and Teknik. I would consider other options, especially a leather/textile hybrid, but only if they seem far and away the best choice to take.

I live in Ontario and its really difficult to choose gear because of the weather. For example this week on my rides to work its been 10-12C in the morning and then 25-28C in the evening. Some rain, lots of wind. Spring and fall is even worse.

My solution is a mesh jacket with a bright orange windbreaker that is small enough to stuff under my seat. The windbreaker does a great job keeping me warm in the morning while doubling as decent rain protection and increasing my visibility. A mesh jacket with a liner would do just as good. Other friends of mine have a leather jacket for spring and fall and a mesh or textile jacket for summer.

I guess what I'm saying is that depending on where you live in Canada you're going to end up with a lot of different gear for different conditions. Hedge your bets and get a textile jacket with both a zip out thermal and zip out wind liner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd say you're better off with a different jacket and maybe looking at some higher denier pants.

http://www.newenough.com/street/pro...cle_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/ballistic_7_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/burnout_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/strike_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/speed_and_strength/twist_of_fate_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/jett_series_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

In an ideal world, I'd go with 800 denier or higher, but 600 is acceptable. I think 200$ is too much money to spend on a first textile jacket, especially one that doesn't list what denier fabric it's using.

Same is true of pants...600 is acceptable, higher is better...I'd dig through their closeout section on textile pants and see what I could find. Good choice on gloves and boots IMO, though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PlasticSun posted:

For the pants I'd say get overpants with a proper full length zipper. My gf has the TPG Escape overpants and while they are awesomely well built she finds them hard to put on wearing boots.

sorry ;)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Linedance posted:

sorry ;)

Love it!

In all seriousness though, over pants have a bulky heavy feel to them when worn over jeans, and the female figure loses just about all of it's curves in over pants. She ditches them as soon as we get off the bike, and would really like something that had a full length zipper.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
What I thought was a genuine HJC shield, I may have inadvertently gotten an ebay special. The mirror and tinting have both worn off in one spot so part of the visor is now see-through. I cleaned it according to instructions and used the inside of the helmet sleeve provided with my helmet.

Maybe I rubbed it too much :v:

e: Am I correct in assuming that genuine shields aren't so cheaply coated?

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 24, 2010

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone have any recommendations for headset radios? I'm planning on riding out with a buddy this weekend and it'd be nice if we could chat. I'd prefer it to be under $50, and from a brick and mortar store so that I can have it before the weekend. Thanks.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

eviljelly posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for headset radios? I'm planning on riding out with a buddy this weekend and it'd be nice if we could chat. I'd prefer it to be under $50, and from a brick and mortar store so that I can have it before the weekend. Thanks.

Good luck with that. Every attempt I've made to do bike-to-bike communications on the cheap has failed miserably. I'm sure someone here can recommend something but I doubt it will be under $125.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Good luck with that. Every attempt I've made to do bike-to-bike communications on the cheap has failed miserably. I'm sure someone here can recommend something but I doubt it will be under $125.

Hrmm, fair enough. What if I plugged in my phone to my bike via something like this, and then used a bluetooth headset? What do you think?

EDIT: Hurf, thought about it for another couple seconds - no way a bluetooth headset would work with the wind and whatnot.

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sharp_angus posted:

What I thought was a genuine HJC shield, I may have inadvertently gotten an ebay special. The mirror and tinting have both worn off in one spot so part of the visor is now see-through. I cleaned it according to instructions and used the inside of the helmet sleeve provided with my helmet.

Maybe I rubbed it too much :v:

e: Am I correct in assuming that genuine shields aren't so cheaply coated?

It sure would be bad if you could see through the visor! :haw:

My Arai visor was super easy to scratch. Seems like some companies use better coatings than others...I'd see if you could get it warrantied.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
There are helmets that have optional bluetooth/wired communication units for them (my Nolan N102 has them available), but realisticly you'll need to be on a full-fairing bike with a massive windshield to really hear anything over the wind noise without having to turn the volume high enough to blow your eardrums.

I suggest working out a good array of hand signals beforehand.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Crayvex posted:

I'm sure someone here can recommend something but I doubt it will be under $125.

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKMBT88I/new-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Multi-Interphone-headsets.html

The 1640ft distance is perhaps a bit optimistic, but what do you want for under 125? http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79791

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Z3n posted:

It sure would be bad if you could see through the visor! :haw:

My Arai visor was super easy to scratch. Seems like some companies use better coatings than others...I'd see if you could get it warrantied.

Yeah, where has seeing out my helmet gotten me anyway?

And I looked into warranty, and it's some nonsense where they don't cover wear and scratches. I think I'll just go with a straight tint next time without mirroring provided the actual plastic is pigmented and not just a film on one side.

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sharp_angus posted:

Yeah, where has seeing out my helmet gotten me anyway?

And I looked into warranty, and it's some nonsense where they don't cover wear and scratches. I think I'll just go with a straight tint next time without mirroring provided the actual plastic is pigmented and not just a film on one side.

Yeah, that's why I don't run reflective visors...it seems like none of them ever sandwich the mirroring between a thin layer of something that'd protect it. I've never had a problem with a tinted/dark smoke visor, only the mirrored ones.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's everyones opinion on hard shell back protectors? I've been thinking about picking one up for a bit of added protection.

Also what's a good pair of gloves for a Sydney winter (probably won't get below 10° C / 50° F). Is it possible to get gloves with liners?

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
Hmm ok, how do these jackets and pants seem to be?

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/fieldsheer/corsair_2_textile_sport_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/fieldsheer/congo_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/atomic_40_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/pro..._overpants.html

Looking a lot more carefully at Fieldsheer gear this go around; anyone have any experience with their stuff? Safety is important, and having upgradable back and possibly chest armour is something I like, but I unfortunately still base a lot of how I judge jackets on how they look. I don't want to look like a power ranger and no matter how safe a jacket is, I just can't see myself wearing some of the stuff out there. I like simple blacks greys and whites, nothing super flashy. On that note, I am tossing around the idea of getting a hybrid jacket, kinda like this one:

http://www.newenough.com/street/pro...cle_jacket.html

Again, thoughts? Thanks a ton for the replies so far

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You'd do fine in any of that gear, IMO. Buy what strikes your fancy and is affordable for you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had a couple of Fieldsheer jackets, one tex and one mesh, haven't been too displeased with the build quality. Had a few threads work loose, but not in a way that'd make them fail. I went down (lightly) in one and it saved my elbow, so that's nice.

If you're only going to have the one jacket, I recommend having something that'll breathe like a son of a gun in summer, even in Canada. Like an Alter Ego or a perf leather jacket. I don't know how it is where you live, but my primary jacket is a Tourmaster that's warm as anything, but doesn't breathe well. After a weeklong 30º+ spike I was desperate for a mesh jacket.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
So I ordered the scorpion stinger jacket in red from http://www.motorcycles508.com/servlet/the-1887/Scorpion-Stinger-Leather-Motorcycle/Detail for $190 because nobody has the red ones in stock anywhere, anywhere, for less than $380. I ordered it last wednesday and I come to find that they haven't shipped it yet. I call them up and get Ronnie, who tells me he meant to send me an email about it. The pricing was an error caused by 'some part time guy' and 'Ive been meaning to correct it' (the site's still wrong, btw) but 'I had to fulfill some of the orders but you can understand that I can't now because I'd be losing money blah blah'

Should I have been an rear end in a top hat about it and demanded he ship it anyway because that's a price similar to what many of his competitors have it at? He said he'd give me a deal on another jacket due to the mix up (he said 25% but who knows) and just refunded my money.

I work in retail and I understand how it all works and I've seen this same situation go either way literally hundreds of time at my own job.

Somebody help me find a red scorpion stinger in small for not $380. I'll pay a finders fee. :(

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 25, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Rontalvos posted:

So I ordered the scorpion stinger jacket in red from http://www.motorcycles508.com/servlet/the-1887/Scorpion-Stinger-Leather-Motorcycle/Detail for $190 because nobody has the red ones in stock anywhere, anywhere, for less than $380. I ordered it last wednesday and I come to find that they haven't shipped it yet. I call them up and get Ronnie, who tells me he meant to send me an email about it. The pricing was an error caused by 'some part time guy' and 'Ive been meaning to correct it' (the site's still wrong, btw) but 'I had to fulfill some of the orders but you can understand that I can't now because I'd be losing money blah blah'

Should I have been an rear end in a top hat about it and demanded he ship it anyway because that's a price similar to what many of his competitors have it at? He said he'd give me a deal on another jacket due to the mix up (he said 25% but who knows) and just refunded my money.

I work in retail and I understand how it all works and I've seen this same situation go either way literally hundreds of time at my own job.

Somebody help me find a red scorpion stinger in small for not $380. I'll pay a finders fee. :(
*places order at motorcycles508.com*
*is rear end in a top hat about incorrect pricing*
"Uh, yeah...Rontalvos, buddy! I've got a brand new one I'll let go for...um...$325..."

Seriously. Place the order again, and be an rear end in a top hat about it. That's the CURRENTLY advertised price, and Massachusetts law (where their showroom is - although the phone number on the website is an Oregon number...) has consumer protection laws that you can use as an argument to get your jacket for that price...

Consumer Protection Law in Massachusetts

www.mass.gov Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation Page posted:

What Violates The Consumer Protection Law?
-> Some Examples
* A business uses "Bait and Switch" advertising - a technique by which the seller advertises an item for sale at a particularly good price or terms but does not really want to sell that item. The seller discourages the purchase of the advertised item and instead tries to convince the buyer to purchase a different item for a higher price or on less favorable terms.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Rontalvos posted:

I would have been a jerk because he completely dropped the ball if it is actually an error. Everyone else was selling them CHEAPER than what he was. I would get a refund and keep searching.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Asking for a refund and then re-placing the same order an hour later may cause me problems in the "I already told you I couldn't category" but if it was a known issue with the website then they should've jumped all over that.

Plus his 'well I wrote an email to you about that but for some reason didn't send it' line he gave me later rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm going to be that rear end in a top hat customer that I hate. Hooray!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Rontalvos posted:

Asking for a refund and then re-placing the same order an hour later may cause me problems in the "I already told you I couldn't category" but if it was a known issue with the website then they should've jumped all over that.

Plus his 'well I wrote an email to you about that but for some reason didn't send it' line he gave me later rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm going to be that rear end in a top hat customer that I hate. Hooray!

Sadly, sometimes being "that guy" is all you can do to get it through someones head that you aren't screwing around.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
Alright- I've gone to a couple of shops and going from what I've seen and heard there and read here, I've basically decided on this jacket:

http://www.joerocketcanada.com/en/products/men/textile/ae_t.cfm

It seems to do a little bit of everything, looks ok, and the price is right. None of the shops around here stock Fieldsheer stuff, and without trying anything on I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on anything. They have none of the alter egos in my size in stock, but I have about a month and a half before my course so I figure I can slide the wait a little bit.

My only minor worry is the durability of the textile jacket. Does textile really shred on the very first moderate crash? It just seems a little silly to be spending $300 on a jacket that is one time use only when I can pony up another $200 max and get a leather jacket that as far as I can tell lasts way more than just one crash. But then I suppose the jack-of-all-trades quality goes away and I would end up having to buy a dedicated summer jacket as well. :sigh:

This is all a little overwhelming and I'm sorry for the monotonous questions, but I feel a little over my head here. I guess my main worry here is say buying that alter ego above, crashing once early on and basically tossing $300 bucks out the window forever. On the other side of the coin, I really don't know if I want to spend $500 or more on a leather jacket, $150 on rain gear and $200 on a mesh jacket just so I am covered for all the conditions the alter ego can do. Advice?

EDIT:
Just so the entire post isn't one big while-fest I did go out and buy this stuff today, and I love all of it:
http://www.joerocketcanada.com/en/products/men/pants/ae_pnt.cfm
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_short_cuff/alpinestars/sp_x_motorcycle_gloves.html
And this to go in whatever jacket I finally decide on. I've already checked and it fits most gear out there.
http://www.newenough.com/street/armor/back_protector_installs_in_apparel/icon/field_armor_stryker_ce_back_protector.html

Ghostpilots fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 26, 2010

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
What's going to be more; the hospital bill for some new skin, or a new jacket?

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

Ghostpilots posted:

Alright- I've gone to a couple of shops and going from what I've seen and heard there and read here, I've basically decided on this jacket:

http://www.joerocketcanada.com/en/products/men/textile/ae_t.cfm

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/atomic_40_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Seems to have a similar amount of protection, water-proofness and ventilation and is less than half the price. I've had good luck with Joe Rocket stuff, but not "$340 textile jacket" luck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostpilots posted:

My only minor worry is the durability of the textile jacket. Does textile really shred on the very first moderate crash? It just seems a little silly to be spending $300 on a jacket that is one time use only when I can pony up another $200 max and get a leather jacket that as far as I can tell lasts way more than just one crash. But then I suppose the jack-of-all-trades quality goes away and I would end up having to buy a dedicated summer jacket as well. :sigh:
Depends on how you define moderate I crashed at under 30 mph in a tight weave mesh jacket, and other than a couple scuffs, it's fine, so I'm still wearing it. Hell, NewEnough just put them on clearance for $100 in some colors if you're looking. It's the Scorpion Hat Trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Aargh posted:

What's everyones opinion on hard shell back protectors? I've been thinking about picking one up for a bit of added protection.

Also what's a good pair of gloves for a Sydney winter (probably won't get below 10° C / 50° F). Is it possible to get gloves with liners?

They're a very good idea, as being able to walk/breathe on your own is nice. Also a full length gives extra warmth in winter. To me, if you're bothering, just get a full-length one, as you'll be "strapped in" in any case. Knox made/make a roll-up one that's pretty compact (obviously) and IIRC doesn't restrict you too much.

For winter gloves, I like my Held gore-tex textiles. Unlike many similar gloves, the fastening system is good and they might actually stay on if you don't! Not too pricey and waterproof. Contrary to the marketing, they aren't really proper winter gloves (my old HG mitts were much better, but would never stay on in a big off), but above 5o C they will be fine. This is the current version, I think

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_Gore-Tex_K2_Winter_Motorcycle_Gloves?sc=16&category=139

e:

Ghostpilots posted:

My only minor worry is the durability of the textile jacket. Does textile really shred on the very first moderate crash? It just seems a little silly to be spending $300 on a jacket that is one time use only when I can pony up another $200 max and get a leather jacket that as far as I can tell lasts way more than just one crash. But then I suppose the jack-of-all-trades quality goes away and I would end up having to buy a dedicated summer jacket as well.

My Hein Gericke Touareg covers those bases - leather in impact areas and textile everywhere else. It's been tested :cry: and the leather is just very slightly scuffed. Plus it features 10 gazillion pockets, good venting and a goretex liner for winter/big rainstorms. Perhaps something similar would suit?

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 26, 2010