Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pwn posted:

And who else is buying film scanners?

Well, I mean scanners that happen to do film. I assume people buy scanners for other reasons.

I can't think of any, but I'm sure there are some good ones :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pwn posted:

And who else is buying film scanners?

Uncle Bob, who wants to digitize all his old slides/film shots to share with relatives or order cheap prints from Snapfish or whatever.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Uncle Bob, who wants to digitize all his old slides/film shots to share with relatives or order cheap prints from Snapfish or whatever.
True, but Uncle Bob is just as likely to not understand this computer stuff and pay Joe Fucknuckle Studios to scan his old slides and negatives to archival Kodak Gold™ CDs.

Anyone nerdly savvy enough to be scanning their negs (let's not forget how frequently normal people just let the lab toss them cause a set of double prints=photos :ughh: ) is likely savvy enough to want to adjust the scanners focusing.

I will say that you are right in the sentiment, since these scanners usually have dummy settings. It's just sloppy design on their part. Nerds or Uncle Bob, pick a target demo and stick to it. My Canon 8800F came with a bank of E-Z buttons and a 120 holder, for the person who takes snapshots on a medium format camera? :psyduck:

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 18, 2010

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

pwn posted:

Anyone nerdly savvy enough to be scanning their negs (let's not forget how frequently normal people just let the lab toss them cause a set of double prints=photos :ughh: ) is likely savvy enough to want to adjust the scanners focusing.

This really isn't true. Just have a look on Amazon for reviews on all the film scanners. You'll see a great deal of them are from older people just wanting to easily and cheaply scan negatives and slides.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Really?

But it's so much funner to assume old people are technologically illiterate.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
There is a reason why they have put a "scan a picture" button on pretty much every consumer scanner released in the last ten years

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Consumer scanners are the embodiment of "eh good enough" when it comes to quality Much like my photography :q: ..

Edit: My Minolta QuickScan 35+ comes with a focus knob, but it's such a pain in the dick to adjust/rescan/readjust/rescan that it's nearly useless. Not to mention every slide is bowed out differently so for best results you'll need to rescan after every insertion/removal.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 18, 2010

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I took the F4e out for a walk for the first time today. It was loaded with XP2 (Philistine) and I left the MB-23 attached as a public display of testosterone production. I'm not one for falling in love with photography equipment, but this camera really was very pleasant to use. And when you release the shutter it goes 'Ker-pow!' - athough I might have imagined that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just got an M42 to EOS adapter with AF confirm from big-is on eBay. It's nifty. All the metering and everything works. The AF took a bit of adjustment to get right, but it's pretty good once it's dialed in. To run in aperture priority mode, you focus and meter with the aperture wide open, lock the exposure then stop down the aperture and take the photo. It doesn't work so well on regular lenses, but it works really well with lenses built for stop-down metering like the Helios 44 I've got on it right now. The Helios has two aperture rings, one for setting the aperture and the other for quickly shifting between wide open and the actual setting. Of course if you don't want to deal with opening and closing the aperture, you can just shoot wide open all day long and you'll only have to focus.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I will be shooting a local Renaissance Faire this weekend. I'm leaving the digital home and shooting all film. I expect to use a couple rolls of Kodachrome, probably some Portra VC. I'm excited to do this as I've wanted to shoot one of these for a long time.

I have three rolls of expired Kodachrome, I bought 4 from Reichstag last Summer and have shot one, it came out with a magenta cast. While this is trivial to fix in post once scanned, is it possible to correct with a lens filter? There's some loss of contrast as well, but I'll settle for fixing the colour for now.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

a green lens filter would fix your problem, even if it's film fogging... but what density of filter I do not know.

edit: actually, if it's fogging, it might not totally fix the problem...

notlodar fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2010

Dads
Dec 14, 2007
Better off fixing it in post.... You'll never get a filter that exactly matches the hue and density of the cast, so there will always be something left, and you will lose contrast with the filter

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I've been working on a project with a friend of mine as a model, and I used a disposable camera to get different POV shots in color to contrast with the high-quality B&Ws I'm taking as the main shots. Wow, what an incredible pain in the rear end that's shaping up to be. Out of 5 shots I need, I'm probably going to have to reshoot 3 because of unusable negs, and the couple that have worked out so far were saved only by bumping the exposure by a stop and a half on my neg scanner and then lots of work in PS.

Getting lovely looking shots to be lovely looking the way you want them to is hard! :(

My Flickr Page! :nws:

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

I'm just going to suggest taking nan goldin style photos with a real camera to accomplish what you want

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

notlodar posted:

I'm just going to suggest taking nan goldin style photos with a real camera to accomplish what you want

I may have to do that. The last time I used a disposable I actually got some pretty nice results. It was part of this project:
http://www.givencollective.com/onecityleft.htm

This time though, I really couldn't use a flash, and obviously there's no changing the exposure. The cloudcover I like shooting under in B&W doesn't give enough exposure for the bright-sun disposable. Oh well, I guess I'll load up another body with color film when we go out to finish the project.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Feels like christmas, gonna have to start filling the fridge up soon. Envious of people with a fridge full.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Good stuff. Hope you enjoy shooting it. I ordered some today.

I also went out and bought darkroom equipment from an old man. To cut a long story short...
We were packing everything in a box to take to the car. As he placed each item in it he'd a tale about using or it some advice about developing. At one point he asked what (film) cameras I used. I told him, and pointed out I'm not a collecter as such, that instead I try to make sure my cameras all get used - as opposed to always sitting on a shelf. So eventually we said goodbye and left. Just as we got in the car he came out his house with a Yashica-Mat. He told us he'd used it to document much of his family growing-up. It was the last of his film cameras. He handed it to me and said he wanted it to go to someone who would take pictures with it. What a nice old guy.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Almost done building my darkroom, just need to hang the drywall and get more shelves.

I'm looking for a 80mm lens / 6x6 holder for the Omega C700, another safe light, bladed easel, and grain focuser if anyone has things laying around they want to get rid of.

Also if you live in the bay area and want that blue enlarger PM me (it works, needs to be cleaned)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

brad industry posted:

Almost done building my darkroom, just need to hang the drywall and get more shelves.

I'm looking for a 80mm lens / 6x6 holder for the Omega C700, another safe light, bladed easel, and grain focuser if anyone has things laying around they want to get rid of.

Also if you live in the bay area and want that blue enlarger PM me (it works, needs to be cleaned)

Nice little space there. I am working on my own as well. All I need to do is black out one more window, and install an exhaust fan and I'm ready to go. Unfortunately that last window is behind a pile of junk stacked to the ceiling. This whole room used to be completely covered in this pile of junk, until I decided I wanted to make a darkroom up there. I organized it into those handy commercial bins and neatly stacked it all up on one side of the room, as high as it would go.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've just finished developing my first roll of film - and it's totally down to the goons in this thread. I don't think I would've ever got around to trying it otherwise.

The whole process was strangely satisfying. I took bits of info from various posts and then had a think about it. That led to me developing a roll of Adox 50 in Rodinal (for nine minutes) and fixing with Tetenal. Right now it's hanging in the bathroom to dry, and although I don't have a scanner (yet) it looks pretty good.
Really, I know it's 'only' black and white processing, but it's so great - another part of photography to explore.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I just received 20 rolls of the Arista 400 from Freestyle. Hopefully it really is just reboxed Tri-X. I'll be shooting it this weekend and seeing if I can spot any differences...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

I just received 20 rolls of the Arista 400 from Freestyle. Hopefully it really is just reboxed Tri-X. I'll be shooting it this weekend and seeing if I can spot any differences...
DO let us how that goes 8)

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

These are cross posted from sad.

My first roll of legacypro 400 (shot at 800) developed in hc110 B for 7.30 minutes. I think next time I might do dilution H for twice as long. Cost me my thermometer these! Had wet hands and the thermometer was lying in the sink, I thought I best move that I'm before I smash it, next minute a water bottle slips out of my hands and cracks it in two.

If its not one thing its something else.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Looks pretty darned good for 400 film. Sort of like Delta 400 but smoother. Try pushing to 1600 or 3200 and let us know how it goes.

And yes, I can guarantee that Arista Premium 400 is Tri-X. I've been working my way through a case of it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Looks pretty darned good for 400 film. Sort of like Delta 400 but smoother. Try pushing to 1600 or 3200 and let us know how it goes.

And yes, I can guarantee that Arista Premium 400 is Tri-X. I've been working my way through a case of it.

Any idea what the 400 speed 120 Arista EDU is?

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Any idea what the 400 speed 120 Arista EDU is?

arista.EDU is fomapan 100 and 400.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Hey! My friend just got a Canonet QL17, that appears to be in mint condition. Of course, the mercury battery is no good. What is the most convenient replacement?

We've read http://ludens.cl/Electron/mercreg/mercreg.html and none of the options sound very appealing.

Also, what are the other options on the aperture settings dial? After 1.7, there is A, 28, 20, 14. Huh?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just came back from a recent trip to the Highlands in Scotland, and I was shooting some Kodachrome, at least I thought I was. The film didn't catch in the sprockets properly and I ended up not shooting a whole roll, so many shots missed :bang:

The only positive is that the roll of Kodachrome should still be okay.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
My tank and reels from freestyle finally arrived and now its time to by some chemicals.

So far I have mostly been shooting tri-x/arista premium and ilford hp5, and I am thinking about going with either hc-110 or xtol and Ilford rapid fixer. Will I be looking at any issues with using kodak developer and ilford fixer?

I will probably also go with kodak hypo clear and photoflo since its cheap and lasts forever.

Does this seem like a good starting set of chemicals?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

My tank and reels from freestyle finally arrived and now its time to by some chemicals.

So far I have mostly been shooting tri-x/arista premium and ilford hp5, and I am thinking about going with either hc-110 or xtol and Ilford rapid fixer. Will I be looking at any issues with using kodak developer and ilford fixer?

I will probably also go with kodak hypo clear and photoflo since its cheap and lasts forever.

I use hc110, Ilford rapid fixer, photoflo and shoot tri x ha, they all work fine together, great combination.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

HC-110 is great to start out with. It lasts forever, I'm still on my first bottle of it from a little over a year ago.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hey! My friend just got a Canonet QL17, that appears to be in mint condition. Of course, the mercury battery is no good. What is the most convenient replacement?

We've read http://ludens.cl/Electron/mercreg/mercreg.html and none of the options sound very appealing.

Also, what are the other options on the aperture settings dial? After 1.7, there is A, 28, 20, 14. Huh?

I use Zinc Air 675 hearing aid batteries in mine. They don't last as long as the old mercury batteries but they are less than a dollar each down at my local drugstore. I use a small shim of foil on the positive side to hold it in snugly. It may be a little ghetto but it's worked out perfectly so far.

And those other numbers are just additional apertures. I'm sure there is some technical reason that Canon had to put them on the other side of "A".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those numbers are for GN flash photography.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
I now own a film camera. I got a Ricoh KR-10 Super with a Ricoh Rikenon 50mm f/2 for 65 USD. I will get some batteries and film tomorrow.

With my photography, http://www.mr-chompers.com what are some film types you guys would suggest I run through (thinking of getting 2-3 color rolls to start with)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

With my photography, http://www.mr-chompers.com what are some film types you guys would suggest I run through (thinking of getting 2-3 color rolls to start with)

I really wouldn't, honestly. The color work you do is great, and aside from a slightly different look you're not going to get much benefit from color film. Black and white, on the other hand, will benefit you greatly if you're willing to put in the work.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If you want slide film, I think you would like Astia.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I would recommend Kodak Portra NC. I use Reala when I want some more saturation.

Flickr is awesome for looking at a ton of different film types. Just search for a photo tagged with it and see what comes up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

McMadCow posted:

Black and white, on the other hand, will benefit you greatly if you're willing to put in the work.

I'll second this. Go get some Fuji Acros 100 or Ilford Delta 100. It's smooth as silk, reasonably priced and should suit your style.

Where poop would really cash in on film work would be with medium or large format. I think that would compliment that kind of style the best.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Does the fact I intend only to have them scan it for me and do my post work digitally make any difference?

Oh yeah, I know this is a long shot, but there was a spanish photographer who did these amazing studio portraits of these amazingly interesting faces. The backgrounds were brownish, it seemed to be one single soft light source from the side, and the film sort of had a greenish response curve, and I know it was from the film he used. Is there any chance someone knows who I'm talking about and the film he used?

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Does the fact I intend only to have them scan it for me and do my post work digitally make any difference?

Yeah, negative scans in B&W look like rear end compared to a proper darkroom print scanned on a flatbed. I'd show you the difference since I do both, but ew. Take my word for it.

Color neg scans actually look pretty good, on the other hand.