Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Comatoast posted:

The speakers are from AV123, model # ELT525M. link
The receiver is some old thing my roomate has in the living room. A Pioneer, model # VSX-D507S. link

You could try moving your speakers close to a wall or corner to improve your bass response, but you may find the sound to be a bit tubby or muddy when you do this.

I'd highly recommend a subwoofer to augment your bass. Try running your receiver's crossover at 80 and see how you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I've been readin this thread and there are some good infos but you guys seem to be more listeners, I was wondering if there was a similar thread for DJ's? I have some question related to DJing.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 17, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Comatoast posted:

The speakers are from AV123, model # ELT525M. link
The receiver is some old thing my roomate has in the living room. A Pioneer, model # VSX-D507S. link

Yeah, since those speakers' specs are "-3dB at 60 Hz", you should expect them to be somewhat lacking in the low bass. It's kind of expected for a 5.25" driver. As someone else said, they could work fine with a subwoofer thrown into the mix.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

I've been readin this thread and there are some good infos but you guys seem to be more listeners, I was wondering if there was a similar thread for DJ's? I have some question related to DJing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791601

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

I've been running my audio through an old Kenwood (KR-3400) receiver for a long time now and I've just recently started having a problem. My speakers just started crackling and popping out of nowhere for no apparent reason regardless of volume. It happens with both the AUX input and the tape monitor input and with it set to either A or B speaker inputs (I just have two boookshelf speakers). But, it sounds perfectly fine when listening to either AM or FM radio. I have a cheap ground loop isolator running between my computer and the AUX input, if that matters. If anyone knows what might be happening, I'd appreciate any advice.
Edit: After tearing my desk apart and messing with the wiring and such I've narrowed the problem down to the line-out from my soundcard on the back of the computer. Switching to the headphone jack on the front seems to have fixed the problem.

thecopsarehere fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 17, 2010

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Despite what people claim, soundcards built in on motherboards are quite horrible and are very susceptible to receive interference due to being unshielded. A good soundcard will usually fix that problem.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Thanks a lot

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

HKR posted:

Despite what people claim, soundcards built in on motherboards are quite horrible and are very susceptible to receive interference due to being unshielded. A good soundcard will usually fix that problem.
The soundcard is actually not built into the motherboard, though my computer is pretty ancient (7+ year old dell), so that may have something to do with it.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Finally picked up my turntable, a Pro-ject debut III. It is connected to a Harman Kardon 3390 receiver and two Polk Monitor 50's I got on sale for $100. Loving it right now but I am sure I can add some improvements.

The turntable is not grounded just yet, is this necessary? It has the wire connected but I have the turntable too far from something I can ground it to so I need to extend the wire. What will grounding do for me?

Also is it worth me bi-wiring the speakers?

Having spent the last 10 years listening to all my music on MP3 (which was not the best quality rips) I just forgot how much warmth and detail I was missing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

mysticp posted:

The turntable is not grounded just yet, is this necessary? It has the wire connected but I have the turntable too far from something I can ground it to so I need to extend the wire. What will grounding do for me?

You're supposed to attach it to grounding post on your pre-amp (or integrated amp) to eliminate problems when the amp and turntable have different ground levels. If you're not hearing a ground loop hum (at 50Hz or 60Hz, depending on your location), you don't need to worry.

mysticp posted:

Also is it worth me bi-wiring the speakers?

No.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
My NAD 3155 integrated amplifier blew up on me (smell of smoke). I was told it would be more than $200 to fix it, which is close to what I paid for it, so I'm looking for a replacement integrated amplifier.

I'll have it hooked up to a pair of Infinity Primus 160 bookshelf speakers and a Sony PS-LX350H turntable. I'd rather not go the vintage route if I can help it as I don't want to have to worry about maintenance or failure.

Can anyone recommend a new integrated amplifier, at the same quality as my old NAD 3155 or better? This is for a relatively small living room. I'd prefer to stay close to $300, but no more than $450, preferably from crutchfield if possible (I have a $300 gift card).

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Thanks to this thread I'm the proud owner of a Pioneer sx-626 and couldn't be happier.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I've been gathering up vinyl from my Dad's and from thrift stores (not to mention a few new purchases), but some of the ones I really want to listen to from my dad are way too dirty. Does anyone have any safe, home alternatives to disc washers? I'm just finishing college and don't have $100+ to spend on getting something to clean a few dirty discs. I've looked around on google and there are a great number of conflicting reports about what cleaners to use, how to dry, how to not ruin the label, etc. Any recommendations?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

...Does anyone have any safe, home alternatives to disc washers?

http://vinylhive.com/groovmaster-label-protector-clean-vinyl-records/

I'm using the above method with the following changes. It's still cheap as hell, just personal preference and some refinements after testing etc.

- paint brush replaced by microfiber sponge
- cleaning fluid changed to 4:1 ratio of grocery store purified water to 91% isopropyl alcohol and 3 drops of plain dish detergent per 30oz spray bottle
- rinsing with a separate spray bottle of only purified water
- drying with my DIY record vacuum http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

I'm sure it'd be fine if you let them dry in a dish rack like in the first link if you didn't want to mess with the vacuum.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Owsla posted:

http://vinylhive.com/groovmaster-label-protector-clean-vinyl-records/

I'm using the above method with the following changes. It's still cheap as hell, just personal preference and some refinements after testing etc.

- paint brush replaced by microfiber sponge
- cleaning fluid changed to 4:1 ratio of grocery store purified water to 91% isopropyl alcohol and 3 drops of plain dish detergent per 30oz spray bottle
- rinsing with a separate spray bottle of only purified water
- drying with my DIY record vacuum http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

I'm sure it'd be fine if you let them dry in a dish rack like in the first link if you didn't want to mess with the vacuum.

This is awesome! Thanks.

electronicmaji
Feb 23, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I don't even bother to protect my labels. Too much work versus little reward. I can't even tell where they got wet if they did at all..

I had a ground loop hum but i couldn't find the grounding cable on my turntable (i fear it might not exist) So I just put foil on my cartridge head creating a contact with a mounting screw. That stops any noise.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BK Dymacel posted:

Does anybody have experience with Zu Audio speakers? Specifically Druid or Essence?
I'm looking for full range speakers so I can forgo the need of a sub.

You don't have PMs enabled, so I hope you're still reading the thread. I'm in Utah now and am planning on making a trip up to Zu in the next few weeks for a listening session. Anything in particular you're interested in having me check out?

BK Dymacel
Dec 23, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

You don't have PMs enabled, so I hope you're still reading the thread. I'm in Utah now and am planning on making a trip up to Zu in the next few weeks for a listening session. Anything in particular you're interested in having me check out?

I'm currently eying the Druid, Essence, and more recently, the new Soul. A comparison between the three would be great and which ones could be used without sub.
(I really don't want to resort to a sub)
Enjoy your trip

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Somebody in my local area is selling a Sansui RA-500 reverb amp for $20. Should I bother picking it up for the novelty?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

iamthejeff posted:

Somebody in my local area is selling a Sansui RA-500 reverb amp for $20. Should I bother picking it up for the novelty?

That thing is loving rad.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Yes. Yes you should. If you hate it, sell it for the $25-35 they go for on eBay

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cheers Turntable Thread :cheers: I just got a setup for listening to some records that I've been acquiring lately. Technics SL-QD33, Denon AVR-1400, and Marantz SP 103's. I finally put it all together today and I'm noticing that all of the records that I have have some really bad crackling, like more than I think there should be, and some have skating problems (I believe thats the right term). These problems show up for every single record I put on. Anyway, I'm guessing that the stylus is worn and that I need a new one. Is this the correct assessment? The cartridge is a Shure 1000ED, does anyone know what styluses will fit this cart?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My parents just gave me all their old vinyl and their old record player, a JVC AL-A150. I have no idea how lovely this thing is, but the motor works fine. Thing is, the needle skims across the records.

I assume it needs replacing. What else should I replace on this thing? It's at least 20 years old.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

VERTiG0 posted:

My parents just gave me all their old vinyl and their old record player, a JVC AL-A150. I have no idea how lovely this thing is, but the motor works fine. Thing is, the needle skims across the records.

I assume it needs replacing. What else should I replace on this thing? It's at least 20 years old.

Take the needle in to a local electronics store that still sells them. That's what I did with my weird Craig/Pioneer needle. Many older-style electronic stores have a selection that they can help you look through.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

Google around for a scanned instruction manual first. They're very handy setting up a tt from dormancy.
And you wanna do everything you can before you start spending money on it. (The cartridge alone is $75+. Though I suggest getting a new belt or two - those go every 5 years)

skating problems?
off the top of my head:
•is the tonearm weight set correctly?
•is the anti-skating mechanism is working?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

iamthejeff posted:

My dad has one of these and it really doesn't sound that good.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

But look at those colors!

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
just held my breath & pulled the trigger on buying a Pro-Ject Debut III! it took all the money I had earmarked for a iPhone 4 but it'll be seven billion years before those goddamn things are ever in stock anywhere so I figured what the hell. the only turntables I've ever used up to now have been a lovely Ion USB table and the AT-PL50 everyone gets at first, so even with the stock cart/stylus this should be a pretty substantial upgrade (even though I'll have to run everything through my Logitech 5.1 setup for the first couple of weeks until I can get some quality speakers & a dedicated analog receiver).

one question about upgrading the cartridge - I was thinking about picking up an Ortofon 2M Red, but a few posts I saw on other forums say I'll need to get a new counterweight to use it correctly. however Needledoctor has a bunch of different ones for sale - which is the one I need to get?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I posted this earlier in the general questions thread, but later realized that it would probably be better in this one so I'm reposting:

Recently my Father was cleaning out his garage and came across his old speakers, a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. He was going to throw them out, but I tested them and found that they worked so I took them home. Now I have no use or even room for speakers of this size, so would anyone know the approximate value of these speakers and the best way to sell them? They're both in excellent shape, and were 'reconed' and had the cloth material replaced less than 10 years ago. I have two sets of stands for each speaker (the ones pictured and a set of shorter legs) and the original manual.
Here is a picture of the speakers:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50652/CIMG0299.JPG
Thanks!

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I posted this earlier in the general questions thread, but later realized that it would probably be better in this one so I'm reposting:

Recently my Father was cleaning out his garage and came across his old speakers, a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. He was going to throw them out, but I tested them and found that they worked so I took them home. Now I have no use or even room for speakers of this size, so would anyone know the approximate value of these speakers and the best way to sell them? They're both in excellent shape, and were 'reconed' and had the cloth material replaced less than 10 years ago. I have two sets of stands for each speaker (the ones pictured and a set of shorter legs) and the original manual.
Here is a picture of the speakers:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50652/CIMG0299.JPG
Thanks!

Hope this helps:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1281376475&/Dahlquist-DQ10-
and an auction:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrfull&1277517462

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on that auction to see how it turns out.

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003
Hey all, just bought myself a sweet Bogen receiver for 12 bucks from a thrift shop. The model is a TR100X, which is from the late 60's (I've seen an ad for it from 1967). It works, gets a great fm signal, but I'm not quite sure how to hook multiple speakers up to it. I've been able to hook one up and get sound out of it fine. I am not familiar with vintage receivers and I am afraid to screw things up by screwing and unscrewing the stereo wire contacts in an attempt to get sound out of it. If anyone is familiar with this model, any help with how to correctly hook speakers up to it would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a digital camera, otherwise I would take a picture of the back of it. Thanks!

Rasputins sea slug
Oct 21, 2009
Hi! After the death of my (very crappy and old) record player with built-in amplifier, I am after a amplifier so that I can run my parent's record player in my room. I also plan to eventually buy a pro-ject debut III so that I have my own turntable.

Does anyone have any idea about the Pioneer SA-510? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-SILV...=item4150999283

I really want a amplifier with blue lights that is less than 250 AUD and readily shippable to Australia and if anyone has any other recommendations that would be great.

Rasputins sea slug fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 24, 2010

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

sanosuke21 posted:

Hey all, just bought myself a sweet Bogen receiver for 12 bucks from a thrift shop. The model is a TR100X, which is from the late 60's (I've seen an ad for it from 1967). It works, gets a great fm signal, but I'm not quite sure how to hook multiple speakers up to it. I've been able to hook one up and get sound out of it fine. I am not familiar with vintage receivers and I am afraid to screw things up by screwing and unscrewing the stereo wire contacts in an attempt to get sound out of it. If anyone is familiar with this model, any help with how to correctly hook speakers up to it would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a digital camera, otherwise I would take a picture of the back of it. Thanks!

It would help if we knew what sort of connectors you have for the speaker hookups and what they are labeled. My guess based on other Bogen gear of that vintage is that you have screw terminals, possibly with different terminals for different speaker impedances (4, 8, 16 etc.).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Got my Marantz 2230 back from repairs, SOUNDS SO GOOD. They even cleaned the radio tuner plate.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna pick these up - do you think they are worth it? I've never heard of the brand but then again, I don't know much about vintage stuff:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Advent-Speakers-W0QQAdIdZ215785658

Edit: I guess there is a review of these from '79: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/171advent/

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 6, 2010

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

iamthejeff posted:

I was gonna pick these up - do you think they are worth it? I've never heard of the brand but then again, I don't know much about vintage stuff:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Advent-Speakers-W0QQAdIdZ215785658

Edit: I guess there is a review of these from '79: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/171advent/

Personally, I think that's high, but that's because I live in an area where you can get really good vintage speakers on craigslist for 10-15 dollars.

If you go for it though, definitely listen to them first, through a range of sound, to determine how they react.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
Finally got the cash to upgrade my turntable, decisions decisions decisions. Got a budget of about £500 ($600?) but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to spend all of it, deciding between a Technics SL1210mk2, a Rega Planar 3 and a Pro Ject debut 3.

Using it for home listening so take into account I'm not looking for a true DJ deck, you goons mind giving me advice on what I could get best sound quality and bang for buck?

Chumpion fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 6, 2010

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Chumpion posted:

Finally got the cash to upgrade my turntable, decisions decisions decisions. Got a budget of about £500 ($600?) but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to spend all of it, deciding between a Technics SL1210mk2, a Rega Planar 3 and a Pro Ject debut 3.

Using it for home listening so take into account I'm not looking for a true DJ deck, you goons mind giving me advice on what I could get best sound quality and bang for buck?

The SL-1200 is in a class of its' own. I don't really understand how people can compare the SL-1200 to decks like the ProJect... Speed stability alone is more precise with the Technics (Unless you have perfect power, of course, which renders it a fairly moot point).

This is not to mention the huge support community for repairs/setup/modifications/etc.

I bought my SL-1200 because I knew it would be the last turntable I ever bought.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

CountOfNowhere posted:

The SL-1200 is in a class of its' own. I don't really understand how people can compare the SL-1200 to decks like the ProJect... Speed stability alone is more precise with the Technics (Unless you have perfect power, of course, which renders it a fairly moot point).

This is not to mention the huge support community for repairs/setup/modifications/etc.

I bought my SL-1200 because I knew it would be the last turntable I ever bought.

I wasn't really comparing them, just seeing if anyone would justify me saving money.

The throw-up was always really between the Rega Planar 3 and Technics but everywhere I look favours the technics so I think it's pretty much decided.

Chumpion fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Chumpion posted:

technics ... it's pretty much decided.

You won't be sorry.