Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lurdiak posted:

I've been re-reading the comic, I gotta say kirkman seems to entirely forget about some of his characters sometimes, as they won't appear at all in an entire issue. Basically if he starts reminding us a totally forgettable character exists it's only because they're about to die.

The twins and their parents are perfect examples of this. What do they do for the entire comic except die?

Toward the end of the prison arc, when Billy was suddenly 'the second best shot' they had in the group, it was like a big flashing 'this dude is gonna die so hard' over his head.

Granted, with the cast being rather big, some characters will be bound to not get as much page time, but it would be nice if Kirkman tried to focus more on some of the lesser characters more rather than 'Rick, Carl, Andrea... and a few black guys or something.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Hell I'm just happy he hasn't killed Glenn. He has seen so little misery in comparison to the others that I just know Maggie is going to die or leave him or something miserable.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
So, I just jumped on board about two days ago and I'm already at issue #64... is the comic still being released monthly? What's the current schedule like? It's been a hell of a ride reading the entire series in a few sittings and I am loving it. How long do I have to wait until issue #72 and so forth?

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Regicide posted:

So, I just jumped on board about two days ago and I'm already at issue #64... is the comic still being released monthly? What's the current schedule like? It's been a hell of a ride reading the entire series in a few sittings and I am loving it. How long do I have to wait until issue #72 and so forth?

The guy at the comic book store said that release dates for Walking Dead are a bit irregular. In the letters section of one recent issue, Kirkman said he was going to try to get these out once a month (or even sooner). According to the Image website, the next issue is due out the week of May 19:

http://www.imagecomics.com/schedule.php?d=20100519

You can check the site periodically to see when the next issue is coming out.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The schedule seems to be monthly but it always seems to be late.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's monthly, but usually a little off regarding when in the month it drops and sometimes he does miss a month.

A Furious Foetus
Aug 15, 2009
Just finished Book 5, the end was pretty "meh" compared to the other 4. Without giving anything away, does anything interesting come of that guy blaming Rick for everything? Was a really odd ending and just wanna know if the story has gone sour or something!

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
I just got done reading the compendium and now I need more!
Should I get this http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-5/dp/1607061716/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273887453&sr=8-2 or is there a book with more issues coming out rather sooner than later?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Heh, I just started reading the compendium - which I bought after glancing this thread. :) For the first hundred pages or so (there was a barn recently) the story hasn't been that original, but it's sure entertaining. I've always been a fan of end-of-societies fiction and zombies are cool.

Is there a lot left after this compendium then? A second compendium probably?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kasakka posted:

Heh, I just started reading the compendium - which I bought after glancing this thread. :) For the first hundred pages or so (there was a barn recently) the story hasn't been that original, but it's sure entertaining. I've always been a fan of end-of-societies fiction and zombies are cool.

Is there a lot left after this compendium then? A second compendium probably?

The compendium covers the first 48 issues of the book. Issue 72 just came out this week. So yeah, there's a lot more story to read but I doubt the next compendium will be out anytime soon. If you wanted to just read collections you can start the Volume 5 HC or the Volume 9 TPB, both of which pick up right where the compendium left off.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Deadpool posted:

If you wanted to just read collections you can start the Volume 5 HC or the Volume 9 TPB, both of which pick up right where the compendium left off.
But then the books would look unbalanced on the shelf! :cry:

Of course waiting for Compendium Two would give me a reason to read this all over again before starting that.

Good to know anyhow that there's more to come!

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

...and another issue without any zombies in it. I'm sure they're probably trying to set the tone of feeling "too safe" which a lot of the characters have complained about. Plus that big guy with the mustache (I forget his name) is going to go out on construction soon and Glenn is going to start doing scavenger runs again, so something should happen shortly.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I wish there was a really spergy Walking Dead wikia or something that had articles on every character and their current status and whatnot.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Matt Cruea posted:

I wish there was a really spergy Walking Dead wikia or something that had articles on every character and their current status and whatnot.

Hmm, you might be joking and referring to this, but in case you didn't know about it here you go.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Compton posted:

...and another issue without any zombies in it. I'm sure they're probably trying to set the tone of feeling "too safe" which a lot of the characters have complained about. Plus that big guy with the mustache (I forget his name) is going to go out on construction soon and Glenn is going to start doing scavenger runs again, so something should happen shortly.

I know the title of the book is The Walking Dead and all, but is this really a complaint that a lot of people share? I for one love the arcs where zombies are few and far between. Giving them a place to try and return to normal after all they've been through has been great. Especially with the problems that everyone is having reintegrating into this form of society.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I know the title of the book is The Walking Dead and all, but is this really a complaint that a lot of people share? I for one love the arcs where zombies are few and far between. Giving them a place to try and return to normal after all they've been through has been great. Especially with the problems that everyone is having reintegrating into this form of society.

I wasn't really complaining. I'm also enjoying this "peaceful" arc where it's becoming painfully clear that Rick's group isn't ready to reintegrate into any kind of normal society (though I think the prison arc went on a bit too long). I was just pointing out that the last few issues have had zero zombies (not just a few here and there -- zero). I suspect that will change shortly.

And also...why the hell would you keep all the guns in a locked up location right near the entrance to the compound?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
While it's certainly the logical arc based what the characters have already been through I'm still amazed that Rick is going to so quickly gently caress everything up for everybody.

You'd think he'd realize that stealing the guns would just escalate a stable situation into instability. Acknowledging that they'd try to take the place by force if the townspeople tried to throw them out is one thing. But stealing your guns back is a threatening action. Even if they could figure out a way to break in without leaving a trace it's not like the leader, Douglas, is going to think the guns got up and walked off by themselves. And when that happens of course there's going to be a confrontation.

Rick's finally found exactly what they've been looking for; a nice secure place where they don't have to watch their backs all the time and he's so paranoid that he's going to end up destroying it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the last page reveal in one of the next few issues shows that Douglas has their houses bugged and has been listening to them the whole time to see if they were plotting anything. Either that or somebody overhears them, or even someone from Ricks group just rats him out because they like the way things are they don't want his stupid rear end to gently caress it all up.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 23, 2010

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God drat these last few issues. I just wanna reach into the page and slap some sense into Rick. I hate it! Don't get me wrong, I am still 100% pleased with this comic it's just so frustrating seeing the characters lead themselves down this path. God I can't wait for the next issue.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Abe's group are the ones to oppose Rick. They didn't go through the woodbury poo poo and seem to be a lot more level headed because of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

While it's certainly the logical arc based what the characters have already been through I'm still amazed that Rick is going to so quickly gently caress everything up for everybody.

You'd think he'd realize that stealing the guns would just escalate a stable situation into instability. Acknowledging that they'd try to take the place by force if the townspeople tried to throw them out is one thing. But stealing your guns back is a threatening action. Even if they could figure out a way to break in without leaving a trace it's not like the leader, Douglas, is going to think the guns got up and walked off by themselves. And when that happens of course there's going to be a confrontation.

Rick's finally found exactly what they've been looking for; a nice secure place where they don't have to watch their backs all the time and he's so paranoid that he's going to end up destroying it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the last page reveal in one of the next few issues shows that Douglas has their houses bugged and has been listening to them the whole time to see if they were plotting anything. Either that or somebody overhears them, or even someone from Ricks group just rats him out because they like the way things are they don't want his stupid rear end to gently caress it all up.

The thing is, this village is only still standing because of luck, they have no idea how to properly defend it from roamers or bandits. I can see exactly why Rick is making each decision and even though I'm cringing, each one makes perfect sense.

But, the road to hell and all that.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The logic behind the decisions make perfect sense. The actions themselves, not so much.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sure, but if Rick wanted to setup a proper guard/defense system for the town then all he'd have to do is go and talk to Douglas and explain to him how incredibly naive and undefended the townspeople currently are and how they need to create a proper defense network around the town. He already started to do this when he explained to Douglas the importance of having a lookout and had him give Andrea the job.

But that's not what he's worried about. He's worried about him and his people getting kicked out of the town. And because of this he's going to create the environment that will precipitate exactly that or the town just being overrun while they battle it out with the townspeople which as I mentioned a few posts back is a classic set piece in Zombie films and novels and one we've already seen at the prison battle. (An interesting possible alternate direction the story could take would be if Rick actually did successfully take over the town and basically become the Governor but with less sadism.)

Ricks group has spent so much time in the wilderness learning harsh lessons such as "might makes right" and "trust no one outside your tribe", that when they're back living in something that resembles a normal society they are their own worst enemy. Rick isn't a bad person or evil but like almost everyone else out in the wilderness doing wild-eyed crazy poo poo he's gotten to the point where he's motivated purely out by fear and desperation. And of course he's going to end up making his own worst fears come true.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

(An interesting possible alternate direction the story could take would be if Rick actually did successfully take over the town and basically become the Governor but with less sadism.)

I might have already posted this but this is exactly what I think will happen. The town is too valuable and interesting a location for Kirkman to build up to for several issues and then just toss away after a 6 issue arc just to have the group on the road again.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
Current Prediction: Glenn is going to get caught. The town is going to look to Rick to deal with Glenn.

I really like Abe's character, I'm glad the krink wielding badass is human and doesn't want to go back on the other side of the wall.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
The whole thing with the town, isn't it pretty much exactly what happened with The Governor? He joined the town with the best intentions, hoping to beef up their security but slowly was corrupted and took the town by force?

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Gassire posted:

The whole thing with the town, isn't it pretty much exactly what happened with The Governor? He joined the town with the best intentions, hoping to beef up their security but slowly was corrupted and took the town by force?

The impression I got was the the governor was a sadistic deranged fucker right from the start - the zombie apocalypse just meant he could get away with stuff.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Darth Ronson posted:

The impression I got was the the governor was a sadistic deranged fucker right from the start - the zombie apocalypse just meant he could get away with stuff.

Yeah its hard to imagine Rick chopping off heads and making "TVs"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Scarecrow411 posted:

Current Prediction: Glenn is going to get caught. The town is going to look to Rick to deal with Glenn.

This would be a great twist.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
So Duane is going to follow his dad, using some kind of spider sense, all the way to the new place. Rick and crew will fight off all the zombies and in doing so reveal the guns they've taken back. The guy in charge will rage. Those still alive will split up and we'll have a few new faces on the trip.

That is my expectation. What I'd like to see is some time being skipped so Carl is older, the loner who doesn't fit in and the only guy to remember that it is loving dangerous out there. Rick will die in the event that destroys the town and Carl will be the new leader. Carl will save everyone because he knows that bad things have to be done sometimes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So Kirkman's zombies will rot but will never die right? Wouldn't they just turn into skeletons eventually?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
They do, but I think the decay process is slowed. Also, over the course of the book, pockets of survivors have lived and died, so I imagine there are fresh zombies turning up every so often.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Drunkboxer posted:

So Kirkman's zombies will rot but will never die right? Wouldn't they just turn into skeletons eventually?

I think Kirkman's got some kind of ecology sketched out. We have seen at least one apparently intact zombie incapable of doing much besides sitting around and moaning.

I forget, you have to be bitten to become a zombie, right? They found that out in the prison arc.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
No, the bite "just" kills. It's something else that reanimates people (as evidenced by Dale or whathisface) standing up again.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Trivial Fursuit posted:

No, the bite "just" kills. It's something else that reanimates people (as evidenced by Dale or whathisface) standing up again.
Dale got his leg chopped off immediately tho, right?
That part was pretty intense.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Dale got his leg chopped off immediately tho, right?
That part was pretty intense.

Yeah, that part was intense, but he wasn't the character I was thinking of.

The person I was thinking of was Shane :blush: I'm terrible with names.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Nah, they still need brains to function and muscles to move so at least those wont rot, they don't seem to be "magical" zombies. I suppose they don't need much food at all and that they eat some plants/animals/soil/crap to stay functional.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Trivial Fursuit posted:

Yeah, that part was intense, but he wasn't the character I was thinking of.

The person I was thinking of was Shane :blush: I'm terrible with names.
You're still off. They find out that you don't need to be bitten to become a zombie after Julie (Tyrese's daughter who was shot by her boyfriend in a failed suicide pact) reanimated. Then Rick realized that the buried Shane had probably reanimated, rode off, dug him up, and did the decent thing.

What's funny is that I can't imagine Rick really bothering, or caring about that anymore.

EDIT: Dale did prove that being bitten does not mean a one way ticket to zombieville.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I wanted to get back into comics so a friend recommended this and loaned me the trades/issues. I burned through everything in a week. loving awesome reading, but mentally draining.....and now I want more! Going to start picking up the monthly issues now, and recommend this to friends.

Rick's paranoia does look to gently caress everything up....but I'm sure there is some type of secret in this town where it's not as good as it looks.

I think killing Rick off would be a mistake, at least not until Carl is older or something. I just can't find anyone else that interesting, and we are seeing the whole thing as Rick....so his paranoia is our paranoia...or at least mine. Everytime he meets new people I get nervous that they are going to eat or rape the group!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Interview on AICN with Kirkman about the show:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45261

quote:

Robert Kirkman: Anything you have seen in BREAKING BAD we can do every minute of our show. And then also there’s a lot of things you can get away with, because they are zombies, so you will be seeing all kinds of cool stuff that you would expect to see in THE WALKING DEAD: THE TV SHOW, so while it isn’t a pay cable channel, I think that people are still going to get what they want.

This is sounding better and better I think.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 27, 2010

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
hehe... found these at the end of Invincible 16.

Click here for the full 1024x1541 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1578 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourNakedUncle
Sep 1, 2006
I AM the Walking Dad!

Walking Humus posted:

hehe... found these at the end of Invincible 16.

Click here for the full 1024x1541 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1578 image.

You know I always meant to get that smirking face as an avatar...

• Locked thread