Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

Yeah, the current living conditions are quite good. I have been pleasantly surprised so far. And I've had no problems at all with dust in the apartments. (The trailers must have sucked.)

You could at least set your own temperature in the rooms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
are you saying that a man cannot adjust the air conditioning in his place of residence? that it is a privilege and not a right? :smith:

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

My name is Jiminy Krimpet, and I am a Falcoholic.
Another ex-lurker here who found this thread to be worthy of $10. Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I've read the entire thing and I still do have questions, but I'm going to hold off on most until I've got my thoughts organized. (By "read the entire thing" I mean "mouth-breathed my way through clicking 'next' 32 times.")

I have the luxury of a stable, secure IT job at a large university, and I make enough money to be happy. I realize that I'm pretty lucky, and I'm in no hurry to leave. On the other hand, while I could sit here for another 23 years surfing the evolution of internet memes and retire with full pension at age 52 . . . holy crap that sounds boring.

I'm thinking I'll probably apply to take the FSOT in October. I mean, my daily routine for years before work has been to go to a coffee shop and either read the Economist, try to refresh my lapsed German skills, or try to teach myself Hungarian, so this sort of thing seems right up my alley. There doesn't seem to be a downside to applying to take the FSOT.

What I think my main shortcoming would be is that I am pretty much the opposite of the Dos Equis guy: I may be The Least Interesting Man in the World. An overstatement, perhaps, and certainly the opposite of what I want to convey in an oral interview. However, the fact of the matter is that I got a full college scholarship, dropped out because I had previously never had to work to get good grades, got a job and have now worked 11 years in the same department.

I have many of the "13 Dimensions" fairly well covered, all through work experience though, and I don't have anecdotes about talking my way out of an Uzbek prison after being mistakenly jailed while backpacking across Asia to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I haven't served our country in the military. I did not edit a law journal.

Now that I think about it, I guess one time I stopped an international incident on a train to Hungary by corralling my drunken friend who was trying to shove his way past a Serbian border guard because he wanted to go take a leak more than he wanted to hand over his passport. But that's it.

So what I'm asking is whether I've got much of a shot of ever becoming a FSO without quitting my job for a while to do something remarkable. Time is on my side, and I can work on well-roundedness e.g. through volunteer work locally. Any opinions?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

plutonyum posted:

Now that I think about it, I guess one time I stopped an international incident on a train to Hungary by corralling my drunken friend who was trying to shove his way past a Serbian border guard because he wanted to go take a leak more than he wanted to hand over his passport. But that's it.

If you can make it at least to the OAs, little tangible examples of things like this can be very helpful to you.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

plutonyum posted:

Another ex-lurker here who found this thread to be worthy of $10. Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I've read the entire thing and I still do have questions, but I'm going to hold off on most until I've got my thoughts organized. (By "read the entire thing" I mean "mouth-breathed my way through clicking 'next' 32 times.")

I have the luxury of a stable, secure IT job at a large university, and I make enough money to be happy. I realize that I'm pretty lucky, and I'm in no hurry to leave. On the other hand, while I could sit here for another 23 years surfing the evolution of internet memes and retire with full pension at age 52 . . . holy crap that sounds boring.

I'm thinking I'll probably apply to take the FSOT in October. I mean, my daily routine for years before work has been to go to a coffee shop and either read the Economist, try to refresh my lapsed German skills, or try to teach myself Hungarian, so this sort of thing seems right up my alley. There doesn't seem to be a downside to applying to take the FSOT.

What I think my main shortcoming would be is that I am pretty much the opposite of the Dos Equis guy: I may be The Least Interesting Man in the World. An overstatement, perhaps, and certainly the opposite of what I want to convey in an oral interview. However, the fact of the matter is that I got a full college scholarship, dropped out because I had previously never had to work to get good grades, got a job and have now worked 11 years in the same department.

I have many of the "13 Dimensions" fairly well covered, all through work experience though, and I don't have anecdotes about talking my way out of an Uzbek prison after being mistakenly jailed while backpacking across Asia to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I haven't served our country in the military. I did not edit a law journal.

So what I'm asking is whether I've got much of a shot of ever becoming a FSO without quitting my job for a while to do something remarkable. Time is on my side, and I can work on well-roundedness e.g. through volunteer work locally. Any opinions?

Are you locked into being an FSO or would you want to maybe be an IT guy instead for State?

quote:

are you saying that a man cannot adjust the air conditioning in his place of residence? that it is a privilege and not a right?

In Baghdad the apartments were split in two in order to fit more people since the size of the mission balooned. The temp. controls were designed for one family not for two roomates, which means there's only one control. The old trailers just had one wall mount AC unit and you could set it however you wanted.

Vilerat fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 21, 2010

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

SWATJester posted:

If you can make it at least to the OAs, little tangible examples of things like this can be very helpful to you.

Well, that's good. I've only spent about 3 weeks of my adult life abroad but I can think of some more minor anecdotes.

Vilerat posted:

Are you locked into being an FSO or would you want to maybe be an IT guy instead for State?

I did look into that. I'm not a systems guy, and I don't have the certs that State needs. The certs I have and am in the process of getting are basic (A+, plus authorized repair tech for Lenovo, Dell, Apple). Plus, perhaps more importantly, IT honestly isn't my passion. It's a comfortable living and that's about it. My job does entail some "third tier" software/hardware support of personal laptops and interacting with vendors to get repairs done when I can't do it myself, but that's about the extent of the technical aspects.

More of my time is spent coordinating. I find what the wants and needs are of many groups, and making them work well together: students, parents of incoming freshmen, college administration, college-level IT (colleagues in my department), university-level IT, faculty, university bookstore (laptop sales), computer manufacturers (currently Apple/Dell/Lenovo).

There's a lot of coordination of activities involved. There's a lot of information to disseminate, and I have to package this all information and advice for consumption in different ways for different groups. And I enjoy all this. At the risk of sounding like someone whose Polaroid is temporarily on a plaque above the cash registers at Taco Bell, customer service and just getting things done have always been my strong points. Someone needs something, I take care of it. That's why the management cone stood out to me when going through the generalist descriptions.

Jiminy Krimpet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 21, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

plutonyum posted:

Well, that's good. I've only spent about 3 weeks of my adult life abroad but I can think of some more minor anecdotes.

Other than being deployed in the military, which is an extremely stilted (though indisputably useful) "abroad" experience, I had not been out of the country since teenager/kid years, and even that was whirlwind vacations with my family.

The best experiences I had available were those involving my family. Communications and problem solving experiences with in-laws, for instance. Also, things I did at work, with my co-workers. Things like that can be AWESOME tangible experiences that you can use to demonstrate your 13 D's.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Don't be so quick to dismiss IT; its a broad industry as it branches out. The CISSP is a pretty good analogy of it, 8 miles wide and 2 feet deep. There is a huge 'customer service' division as well (not talking about call centers/helpdesk, but coordination, continuity, hosting, etc) as everything you've described, so if that's your strong point you may want to stick with what you know and expand your horizons.

It's not everyday that you see a construction worker quit the industry entirely because he doesn't like using the crane six hours a day; if he wants to be the guy dealing with the builder & homeowner, the opportunity exists and he applies his expertise, connection/networks and advice. It may be a poor analogy, but IT works the same way.

of course, if you're just sick of computers and would prefer to do something else, I understand completely & then by all means go for it all the way and never look back.

(BTW, If you really do like IT, you may want to consider getting the certs (especially a CISSP) - it does not make you a systems guy but it shows that you understand about such concepts so that you can help the people who are doing those jobs better. Managers, consultants, policymakers, those who are "people people" and not necessarily "computer people", etc. All take those certifications too.)

Vilerat (or others) of course can provide info about being an IT guy for State, as I don't want to put my foot in my mouth there as I'm only in the process :(

edit:

Vilerat- So you had to roll the dice for control of the thermostat, huh? That must have blown.. Speaking of that, do married couples get precedence? i.e. if the size of the mission balloons, are roommates required or do married couples share/get the room to themselves, etc?

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 21, 2010

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Fun thing you can do in this job: Be a terrorist in a role playing exercise with the local SWAT team. One second they're nowhere around, and the next your face down on the ground.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Fun thing you can do in this job: Be a terrorist in a role playing exercise with the local SWAT team. One second they're nowhere around, and the next your face down on the ground.

Haven't done that one. I played a terrorist assaulting the compound at night for a MSG drill.

Taking my first trip out of country in 3 weeks. Been like 8 months. It's going to be nice. Then I come back to full blown election cycle. Grenade attacks about every other week in the city. TIA.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

plutonyum posted:

Well, don't quit your job in the hopes of getting a gig with State. I'm a big believer that aspiring to be an FSO should be a "plan B" for just about everyone; that way, you won't put your life on hold or miss out on other opportunities while the process takes place. If you feel like you need to build your resume or experience base, do that on the side of your current job. Others have given good advice on examining prior experiences for useful vignettes at the FSOA.

I know plenty of applicants with impressive credentials who bombed the FSOA, probably because of their personality. OTOH, I also know lots of FSOs whose credentials were average. So work to your strengths and don't count yourself out without applying.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

I know plenty of applicants with impressive credentials who bombed the FSOA, probably because of their personality.

As in they passed the FSOT and seemed like dicks/sleezebags/IRA sympathizers in the orals?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Sometimes, but more like there was just something in their personality that rubbed the assessors the wrong way. In addition to everything else, the testers are also trying to imagine whether they could stand to work with this person.

If you ever get a group of FSOs together, you will be shocked at how we all basically have the same personality.

Yes, that's hyperbole, but just barely.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

edit:

Vilerat- So you had to roll the dice for control of the thermostat, huh? That must have blown.. Speaking of that, do married couples get precedence? i.e. if the size of the mission balloons, are roommates required or do married couples share/get the room to themselves, etc?

"I" didn't! The old trailers that we lived in over in Baghdad had a single wall mount AC unit but you were the only resident of the trailer so you can set it however. The new apartments were designed for single families so when they split off the living room to be another bedroom they ended up with the one family control for the whole apartment. I imagine you better find a roomate who likes the temp. the same as you or you're hosed.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

Well, don't quit your job in the hopes of getting a gig with State. I'm a big believer that aspiring to be an FSO should be a "plan B" for just about everyone; that way, you won't put your life on hold or miss out on other opportunities while the process takes place. If you feel like you need to build your resume or experience base, do that on the side of your current job. Others have given good advice on examining prior experiences for useful vignettes at the FSOA.

I know plenty of applicants with impressive credentials who bombed the FSOA, probably because of their personality. OTOH, I also know lots of FSOs whose credentials were average. So work to your strengths and don't count yourself out without applying.

Yeah, what I am getting from this thread is that the candidacy process works in a way that seems most logical but is not common in hiring practices; that is, they are more interested in a certain kind of candidate rather than a certain set of boxes with check marks in them, extending even to whether one has a BA/BS at all.

Pursuing a job as an FSO isn't even a real "plan" for me right now, and I think you're right; it's best not to get carried away with tailoring oneself to this or any other job. Best to live the life you want to, and if that's the type that an interviewer for this or any other job is looking for, awesome. I want to learn more about diplomacy and foreign policy and work on the 13 Ds, not for any specific reason right now other than to better myself.

That said, I'll probably apply in a couple of weeks to take the test in October.

OH LOOK AN ACTUAL QUESTION

I have seen references to the schools that FSOs' kids attend as being pretty good schools. Are the schools run by the US government in some way?

Jiminy Krimpet fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 24, 2010

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Sometimes, but more like there was just something in their personality that rubbed the assessors the wrong way. In addition to everything else, the testers are also trying to imagine whether they could stand to work with this person.

If you ever get a group of FSOs together, you will be shocked at how we all basically have the same personality.

Yes, that's hyperbole, but just barely.

So what is the personality of the average FSO?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
BoF was pretty cool. I think we had similar-ish personalities.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Ditto, he is (was?) pretty cool. Wish I stayed longer to gauge his personality, but he's very amiable if that helps!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Can you guys be a little more specific about the FSO "type?"

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

prussian advisor posted:

Can you guys be a little more specific about the FSO "type?"
Not a goon.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

TCD posted:

Not a goon.

lol. This is exactly what I was thinking but could you expand for us "normal" members of the SA community.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Well, I'm hopefully taking the FSOT again in Cairo. I've been reading my Foreign Affairs (thanks, Dad, for letting me leech off your online subscription), the Economist and I'm boning up on my Constitution again. This is probably going to be a two-three day endeavor when it's all said and done (ask me about lovely transportation in Egypt!), but hopefully, my acquired Arabic skills will nudge me further into the process this year.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
re: Peronality types

From what I've heard and from the FSOs I know, I would say full-on Type A people who thrive in new environments, are willing to uproot their life every 18-36 mos, and don't mind being shuffled around into positions that may be well above their experience level.

When I think goon I see shut-in nerdlingers who have to be the master of their domain and aren't willing to venture outdoors, much less outside their comfort zones.

....which in many cases happen to be actual zones in MMOs

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

The Mantis posted:

re: Peronality types

From what I've heard and from the FSOs I know, I would say full-on Type A people who thrive in new environments, are willing to uproot their life every 18-36 mos, and don't mind being shuffled around into positions that may be well above their experience level.

When I think goon I see shut-in nerdlingers who have to be the master of their domain and aren't willing to venture outdoors, much less outside their comfort zones.

....which in many cases happen to be actual zones in MMOs

I happen to be more reserved at first but I get along with everyone and people like me. I am not a shut-in nerdlinger but I'm not a total type A personality either (I probably skew towards a type B). I'll just make sure to be extra extroverted during the interviews (if I ever make it that far).

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

The Mantis posted:

full-on Type A people who thrive in new environments, are willing to uproot their life every 18-36 mos, and don't mind being shuffled around into positions that may be well above their experience level.

My second night in the Foreign Service, a number of my new officer colleagues got together with our families and went over the bid list we had received that day. Afterward, my wife said, "Wow. You are all the same person." She said that all of us were used to being the center of attention in our own groups, so there was a lot of talking over each other that night. The funny thing is, everyone figured out pretty quickly how to make it work, and now I just don't see that happening anymore around me. But yeah, that night must have been something to watch.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Omits-Bagels posted:

I happen to be more reserved at first but I get along with everyone and people like me. I am not a shut-in nerdlinger but I'm not a total type A personality either (I probably skew towards a type B). I'll just make sure to be extra extroverted during the interviews (if I ever make it that far).

Just be yourself but make sure you stay engaged. There actually are introverts in the FS, but they are outnumbered by the others. In A-100 there is a personality-type exercise that is quite illustrative of the what the typical FSO is like as well as how pronounced some of the other types can be.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
From what you describe, it sounds like less "look at me! me! meee!" types and more of the "hey, look at what i can do!" types? (Kind of like doctors, the type of people that take their career seriously, now that I think about it)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 25, 2010

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Every single FSO thinks that cable they are working on is the most incredibly important piece of hot poo poo ever generated and god drat if they don't need to get it out tonight because it's going to be on the presidents desk within the hour :smug:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
would you say that's more attention to detail than "MUST MEET DEADLINE" type?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

would you say that's more attention to detail than "MUST MEET DEADLINE" type?

No it's more an IT guy getting grumpy about FSO's hammering out cables after hours about some stupid poo poo nobody cares about because they took a 3 hour lunch and goofed off instead of writing their assigned cable. Jokes on them, only one of us gets overtime.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Oh come on, I'm working right now and I took a three hour lunch - why would they be complaining :???: ( as an aside note: will 3 hour lunches give me points in the personality quiz :v: )

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Oh come on, I'm working right now and I took a three hour lunch - why would they be complaining :???: ( as an aside note: will 3 hour lunches give me points in the personality quiz :v: )

They just say they're meeting contacts or attending a representational event but I KNOW BETTER.

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

My second night in the Foreign Service, a number of my new officer colleagues got together with our families and went over the bid list we had received that day. Afterward, my wife said, "Wow. You are all the same person."

I wonder to what extent people start out the same, and to what extent people are made the same by going through the same process. Kind of like having been in the military.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

No it's more an IT guy getting grumpy about FSO's hammering out cables after hours about some stupid poo poo nobody cares about because they took a 3 hour lunch and goofed off instead of writing their assigned cable. Jokes on them, only one of us gets overtime.

Ha. "Nope wait until tomorrow"

Writers paused by me, unless I see it's the Ambassador calling, poo poo ain't going out ;)

Plus as somebody said to me today... I have the largest office in the Embassy and nobody is allowed in! :smug:

TCD fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 26, 2010

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Still waiting to hear back from QEP. I'm also looking into overseas NGOs and/or other organizations that I could look into working with. I'm finished with school and getting ready to begin the campaign cycle but I'd really prefer something else. I'm also getting ready to submit my Peace Corps Application. This all leads me to a couple questions:

1) If, somehow, I receive an offer of employment from DOS and an invitation with the Peace Corps, is it possible to "defer" the employment offer until I return from Peace Corps Service? I'm assuming that candidacy terminates after 18 months no matter what but I wasn't sure if there was any sort of special clause for Peace Corps. Obviously if it's not possible, I'd take DOS over PC (and the chance of this scenario playing out is laughably slim anyway) but it'd be nice to do both.

2) Since Peace Corps and State are both "plan B" (unless I get an offer/invitation) I'm also looking for both short and long term employment with aid/development organizations and other NGOs. Basically I'm looking for the best way to get foreign experience and help people without having to pay for it (and preferably get paid for it since I am a broke recent grad).

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Miss Fats posted:

Still waiting to hear back from QEP. I'm also looking into overseas NGOs and/or other organizations that I could look into working with. I'm finished with school and getting ready to begin the campaign cycle but I'd really prefer something else. I'm also getting ready to submit my Peace Corps Application. This all leads me to a couple questions:

1) If, somehow, I receive an offer of employment from DOS and an invitation with the Peace Corps, is it possible to "defer" the employment offer until I return from Peace Corps Service? I'm assuming that candidacy terminates after 18 months no matter what but I wasn't sure if there was any sort of special clause for Peace Corps. Obviously if it's not possible, I'd take DOS over PC (and the chance of this scenario playing out is laughably slim anyway) but it'd be nice to do both.

2) Since Peace Corps and State are both "plan B" (unless I get an offer/invitation) I'm also looking for both short and long term employment with aid/development organizations and other NGOs. Basically I'm looking for the best way to get foreign experience and help people without having to pay for it (and preferably get paid for it since I am a broke recent grad).

1) I'm almost 100% that if you decline your invitation (when they call your number), you have to go through the process again

2) You shouldn't fret about the PC. It's smart to call it a plan B, but their low admission rates stem more from their insanely slow/inefficient bureaucracy than from crazy high standards. Just be patient and ready for the deluge of paperwork.

Do you have a preferred field? "helping people" is pretty broad

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Miss Fats posted:

Plan on a solid 14-18 months from the time you submit your application for the PC until you actually leave. You'll probably get accepted as a FSO before you're accepted to the PC.

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

The Mantis posted:

1) I'm almost 100% that if you decline your invitation (when they call your number), you have to go through the process again

Mo, I think you get to defer A100 once, and you get put back on the roster. Refuse to start class again and you will be dropped from the roster. The DIR who gave the Pre-OA seminar I attended told everyone how she turned down A100 the first time DOS called, and while it's possible to do this she was lucky to get called again.

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

So once you start A100, you're on the hook, eh? In debt to the State Department so to speak? I was wondering where the point of no turning back was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

There would really be no chance of me turning down A100. If I got the job offer, I'd go. I was just wondering if there was a very slim chance that there was some sort of "Peace Corps Exception" where you could defer. I assumed there wasn't.

I am banking on getting denied by DOS this time around (probably won't get past the QEP) which is why I went ahead and started the Peace Corps process. I figured I can at least try for both, with Peace Corps not so much being backup but more realistic than DOS this time around. Hopefully leverage a successful PC tour into a position as an FSO.

Beyond that, I majored in Poli. Sci. with a concentration in International Relations/Comparative Gov. I focused most of my study on democratization and social cleavages, focusing geographically on East and Central Africa (my capstone research was on Uganda since Amin). I doubt there are many NGOs that work in fields promoting democracy, working with grassroots groups, mediation etc. and other types of politics in foreign countries but if there was that'd be cool. If not, I wouldn't mind work in education of some sort. I don't know anything about agriculture, health, or building trades. Beyond that, most of my skills lie in politics as I've been working campaigns for the past few cycles. I'm not sure what types of NGOs work in places like DRC, Uganda, and Rwanda but anything along those lines.

Oh, I did do some training in Rape and Sexual Violence prevention as a volunteer in college.

Anyway, thanks for the answers.