Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

New toy :) Ktm 690 Enduro. It's amazing on and off road. I'll post a more detailed ride report later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Congrats! (Buy a sumo setup for it)

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
My brain registered "Michael Jordan" when I clicked on this, and was quite surprised when I figured out my folly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxLPhYvUXY

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

open24hours posted:

What kinda irresponsible parent lets their kid ride a Chinese bike? That's dangerous!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Gullous posted:

New toy :) Ktm 690 Enduro. It's amazing on and off road. I'll post a more detailed ride report later.

I hate you so much, I wish I could hate you to death

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Source data is European so most likely won't reflect injury trends in the US because helmet wearing is mandatory across all EU countries (dunno about Eastern Europe but I've never seen someone on a public road without a helmet myself)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt4_lNw_708

Another video of my 89 GSXR 750 on a twisty road. The bike's now complete and looking through the tinted windshield is much better than I thought it'd be. I also used the open back-plate to the GoPro HD, and it's a tad windier at higher speeds but the sound quality is better.

I should have washed the windshield before doing this, but o well. Enjoy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

MrZig posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt4_lNw_708

Another video of my 89 GSXR 750 on a twisty road. The bike's now complete and looking through the tinted windshield is much better than I thought it'd be. I also used the open back-plate to the GoPro HD, and it's a tad windier at higher speeds but the sound quality is better.

I should have washed the windshield before doing this, but o well. Enjoy.

I enjoyed the part where you almost ran off the road at the end of the video. You really should consider reserving that sort of pace for the track.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
forums.xtremebikerz.com : Check out my kickass vidz where I speed and cross the centerline on public roads

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
;-*

I never crossed the centerline. I thought it was a good video of a local road. Also I had a lot more room on the last corner than it looks, the fisheye effect is misleading.

I will however admit that it was a toolish thing to do and I respect and like that this forum reminds me of that.

:)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

;-*

I never crossed the centerline. I thought it was a good video of a local road. Also I had a lot more room on the last corner than it looks, the fisheye effect is misleading.

I will however admit that it was a toolish thing to do and I respect and like that this forum reminds me of that.

:)

Late apex, learn it, use it, love it when it comes to street and track riding. You have a tendency to turn in early and aggressively, and that's going to always have you spitting wide on corner exit. It also spares you poo poo like what happened at the end, because you're already clear of any car that's coming around the corner.

Also, be smooth with the throttle. Especially early in the video, it looks kinda like you're just grabbing handfuls of throttle on corner exit, I could be wrong, but it's one thing that stood out to me.

I didn't see you cross the centerline...You maybe got close or up on it sometimes, but I really don't see anything wrong with that when you've got good visibility through a corner.

I do recommend breaking yourself of the habit of hugging the centerline in left handed corners though, it only takes one close encounter with a mirror to make you really regret that choice. Or going face first into a bumper.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 24, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Late apex, learn it, use it, love it when it comes to street and track riding. You have a tendency to turn in early and aggressively, and that's going to always have you spitting wide on corner exit. It also spares you poo poo like what happened at the end, because you're already clear of any car that's coming around the corner.

Also, be smooth with the throttle. Especially early in the video, it looks kinda like you're just grabbing handfuls of throttle on corner exit, I could be wrong, but it's one thing that stood out to me.

I didn't see you cross the centerline...You maybe got close or up on it sometimes, but I really don't see anything wrong with that when you've got good visibility through a corner.

I do recommend breaking yourself of the habit of hugging the centerline in left handed corners though, it only takes one close encounter with a mirror to make you really regret that choice. Or going face first into a bumper.

Thanks for the riding tips. The only time I grabbed a handfull of throttle was the first corner, which I knew right away was stupid and dont even ask me why I did it.

I'll work on everything else you've said though. I've never had anyone follow me and critique my riding so this is all great advice :)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

That's sped up, right?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

While in NYC yesterday I took a picture of a nice black Bonneville I saw parked on the sidewalk.

Not that it's a super fantastic picture but I do have super huge version if anybody is interested.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

Thanks for the riding tips. The only time I grabbed a handfull of throttle was the first corner, which I knew right away was stupid and dont even ask me why I did it.

I'll work on everything else you've said though. I've never had anyone follow me and critique my riding so this is all great advice :)

Check out Sport Riding Techniques, and Twist of the Wrist 2...they'll cover all of the basics. You'll learn a lot from reading them. Well worth the 30$ or so it'll cost you on amazon or whatever.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Sloppy posted:

That's sped up, right?

The fish-eye lens makes it look faster.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I call it "Why didn't I buy a supermoto?" (Video quality really took a hit by the finished upload)
http://vimeo.com/12006993

My favorite part was coming out of that dirt road behind the Harley riders, who I had followed for a short time about 10 minutes earlier while downtown.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

35mph surprise ditch. I had to ride 15 miles out with a broken throttle wrist. Bike is fine thankfully and an amazing ride otherwise.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Gullous posted:

35mph surprise ditch. I had to ride 15 miles out with a broken throttle wrist. Bike is fine thankfully and an amazing ride otherwise.

That sucks, if you need someone to keep fresh gas in it I'll come by and pick it up and run it at the DOONZ for you.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
Is that a disjointed wrist?

Had the same type of injury riding a bike (pedals, yo). Fell, popped the bone out of its socket, weeped like a little bitch.

Here's for a quick and nice recovery, that sucks man :(

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

This is why CA recommends everyone starts on crf130 and works their way up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gullous posted:

Holy poo poo, 15 miles with a broken throttle wrist, impressive. Heal up fast!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Twist of the Wrist 2

+1 - Keith Code may be a crazy Scientologist whack job (the back cover of TOTW used to have a "Dianetics" paint scheme CA Superbike School bike pictured IIRC) and not everything in TOTW 1 and 2 is gospel, but it's very sound on how to approach track (and everyday "sport") riding in a systematic fashion, and without constantly crashing/being scared shitless/not knowing what you're doing.

Sigtrap - with groveling felicitations and the greatest of respect...do you really never exceed the speed limit on a public road?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Saga posted:

Sigtrap - with groveling felicitations and the greatest of respect...do you really never exceed the speed limit on a public road?

OOOOOOH! Sigtrap, you gonna let him talk to you like that?!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This is perhaps a change of pace from the usual stuff, but it definitely is worth watching.

A documentary on Scraper Bikes. It's good to see anyone doing something to work with the kids in Oakland.

http://californiaisaplace.com/cali/scrapertown/#scrapertown

The other california is a place videos are worth watching too.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Saga posted:

I exceed it regularly.

It's a mark of lovely forums to capture said hooligainy and post it for kudoz & cred. It's right up there with kill stories. Someday I might strap a camera on my bike to share what I think are some awesome local roads, and I'll sure as hell clean up my act while the camera is running.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

This is perhaps a change of pace from the usual stuff, but it definitely is worth watching.

A documentary on Scraper Bikes. It's good to see anyone doing something to work with the kids in Oakland.

http://californiaisaplace.com/cali/scrapertown/#scrapertown

The other california is a place videos are worth watching too.

Oakland is the best city. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIsWq5xOSE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sigtrap posted:

I exceed it regularly.

It's a mark of lovely forums to capture said hooligainy and post it for kudoz & cred. It's right up there with kill stories. Someday I might strap a camera on my bike to share what I think are some awesome local roads, and I'll sure as hell clean up my act while the camera is running.

That seems a little silly to me. We all ride like that, we do our best to keep it out of the public eye, but it seems like on a forum of like minded individuals, why not share us actually having fun rather than a video that may as well be shot hanging the camera out of the window of a car? Just run your pace, whatever it may be, share what your roads are like for you.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 25, 2010

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Z3n posted:

Isn't there some inherent dishonesty in that though? We all ride like that sometimes, we do our best to keep it out of the public eye, but it seems like on a forum of like minded individuals, why not share us actually having fun rather than a video that may as well be shot hanging the camera out of the window of a car? Just run your pace, whatever it may be, share what it's actually like.

It's still "a mark of lovely forums to capture said hooligainy and post it for kudoz & cred". And people commonly do NOT "run their pace" when they're recording for public consumption. This has been demonstrated many times and you know it. I'm not talking 10-15 over on a deserted dead road. I'm talking about when that slowly turns into this poo poo where people are doubling the limit against oncoming traffic, running wide, etc. Mr.Zig's video gets close to that.

I honestly don't care if you think I'm being dishonest, and it's not under discussion. Do not post street racing videos here.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
This seems like a dumb conversation to even be having. If you want to shoot video of yourself tearing rear end and running your bike at 10/10ths do it on a track where you'll be safe(r) running that hard. If you want to show a cool road don't post video evidence of yourself driving recklessly on the internet.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
People have been convicted on the basis of videos posted on the internet, either from the video itself or from the police finding out about it and then putting a patrol on that road. It's not worth it - the satisfaction of a good, fast ride is better than your worthless ePeen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ranathari posted:

People have been convicted on the basis of videos posted on the internet, either from the video itself or from the police finding out about it and then putting a patrol on that road. It's not worth it - the satisfaction of a good, fast ride is better than your worthless ePeen.

This is what makes me laugh. We're all out there doing it, so I find it funny that there's such a negative reaction to actually being honest about how we ride. I figure you'll drive yourself nuts trying to save the stupid from themselves, so why bother, but either way, sigtrap says no street racing videos, that's cool...he's the mod, his forum, his rules, easy enough to respect that. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

This is what makes me laugh. We're all out there doing it, so I find it funny that there's such a negative reaction to actually being honest about how we ride. I figure you'll drive yourself nuts trying to save the stupid from themselves, so why bother, but either way, sigtrap says no street racing videos, that's cool...he's the mod, his forum, his rules, easy enough to respect that. :)

Of course we all speed sometimes, of course we all wheelie sometimes.

Picture a forum full of Jack the Smacks all circlejerking endlessly over videos of them stuntin on the boulevard. That is not my idea of a good cycle asylum.

I'd rather have people discouraging that stuff rather than a forum of bros hifivin over it. There are plenty of REP++ forums for that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Of course we all speed sometimes, of course we all wheelie sometimes.

Picture a forum full of Jack the Smacks all circlejerking endlessly over videos of them stuntin on the boulevard. That is not my idea of a good cycle asylum.

I'd rather have people discouraging that stuff rather than a forum of bros hifivin over it. There are plenty of REP++ forums for that.

It's a totally fair point. I'd just like to think that us as a group are capable of not turning into a group of hi fivin' bros just because we post some videos where we wheelie or ride a little quicker down a road than we honestly/legally should.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

It's a totally fair point. I'd just like to think that us as a group are capable of not turning into a group of hi fivin' bros just because we post some videos where we wheelie or ride a little quicker down a road than we honestly/legally should.
seriously?
Have you *met* us?

:hifive:

*wheelies away on 17HP '80's 250cc UJM at twice the legal speed limit...for a residential zone*

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

We're safe, I can't wheelie. :(

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

mAlfunkti0n posted:

We're safe, I can't wheelie. :(

Yeah, some of us CANT double the speed limit on the highway, either!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Back to pictures in the picture thread

I love my new bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You and sigtrap and your sexy goddamn tricolors, I swear to god