Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I just finished the second mission on my first playthrough, the warehouse one. Holy crap this game. Why hasn't this design philosophy ever been followed up on? This is more sandbox than sandbox games.

I was listening to the soundtrack today (usually about once a week my Unreal/Deus Ex/Crusader playlist gets used) and when the NYC Streets music came on I was thinking something along these lines.

Of course I realized it would be hosed up since graphics were more important, and so I decided to start playing System Shock 1 again to play a game that was even better then Deus Ex in my list of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Rex Deckard posted:

Of course I realized it would be hosed up since graphics were more important, and so I decided to start playing System Shock 1 again to play a game that was even better then Deus Ex in my list of games.

System Shock 1 was loving amazing. Sadly I never picked it up when I had the chance, and I only ever played it at a friend's house :(

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Male Man posted:

And that's why Shifter is the best mod.

In Shifter you can hand armable NPCs any weapon with the Drop Weapon key (default: Tab).
Dammit, PC, stop being broken! :arghfist: :cry:

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Holy poo poo, i think the sword you get in FO3 in operation anchorage, Jingwei's Shock Sword, is actually the dragon tooth sword. They look almost identical: power switch under blade, blue glow, gold decoration on the handle and built in china.:psyduck:

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

System Shock 1 was loving amazing. Sadly I never picked it up when I had the chance, and I only ever played it at a friend's house :(

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a way to run System Shock 2 in XP? I tried to install it a while back but Windows couldn't read it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OregonDonor posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's a way to run System Shock 2 in XP? I tried to install it a while back but Windows couldn't read it.

It always worked for me in XP. Do you have the multiplayer patch?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OregonDonor posted:

This will fix any issues you have: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392.0.html

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

saberwulf posted:

Holy poo poo, i think the sword you get in FO3 in operation anchorage, Jingwei's Shock Sword, is actually the dragon tooth sword. They look almost identical: power switch under blade, blue glow, gold decoration on the handle and built in china.:psyduck:

Well drat, thats a tribute and half. And I'm about to get my hands on it!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CaptainWinky posted:

In Shifter, zyme gives you 10 or so seconds of bullet time before the drunkvision kicks in.

the only REAL use of zyme is to collect it throughout the game and then sell it all to the dealer in France. gimme them ducats, etc.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

mp5 posted:

the only REAL use of zyme is to collect it throughout the game and then sell it all to the dealer in France. gimme them ducats, etc.
Remember to threaten him first so he pays double!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mp5 posted:

?

Is there anything at all you can buy after France? There's the bum near the gas station, and... ?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Xander77 posted:

?

Is there anything at all you can buy after France? There's the bum near the gas station, and... ?

You might have missed the part where the credits are your score

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mp5 posted:

You might have missed the part where the credits are your score

Wait, what?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

John Dough posted:

Wait, what?

if you are not measuring your success in the game by the size of your wallet in the end when you become a robot god you've gone about it wrong.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

mp5 posted:

if you are not measuring your success in the game by the size of your wallet in the end when you become a robot god you've gone about it wrong.

I measure success by how needlessly overcustomized one of my weapons is. I don't care if I've foresworn all ranged weapons and chosen to live by the sword, this goddamned Magnum is going to be the pimpest gun on the loving planet.

Can the DX editor tweak which mods can go on which guns? I want a silenced Gep gun.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

I measure success by how needlessly overcustomized one of my weapons is. I don't care if I've foresworn all ranged weapons and chosen to live by the sword, this goddamned Magnum is going to be the pimpest gun on the loving planet.

Can the DX editor tweak which mods can go on which guns? I want a silenced Gep gun.

JC DENTON
The GEP gun. Sometimes you've got to make a silent takedown.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

saberwulf posted:

Bad game references god tier game

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Time for me to load up a save, methinks :flame:

edit: "I'm not carrying anything you could use effectively." :argh:

gently caress. :argh:

Male Man posted:

And that's why Shifter is the best mod.

In Shifter you can hand armable NPCs any weapon with the Drop Weapon key (default: Tab).

Time to get Shifter methinks. I was always put off by the skill points from kills thing. ("I lose skill points for using a flamethrower on that crazy woman's cats in Paris? gently caress that.")

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I just finished the second mission on my first playthrough, the warehouse one. Holy crap this game. Why hasn't this design philosophy ever been followed up on? This is more sandbox than sandbox games.

Modern games actually seem to have gotten more and more linear with time for the most part.

etalian posted:

Bad game references god tier game

Despite the poo poo story, combat, gameplay, balancing and characters in FO3 it all combined to make a really fun game. Definitely better than most of the poo poo out there currently.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Astroturf Man posted:

Time to get Shifter methinks. I was always put off by the skill points from kills thing. ("I lose skill points for using a flamethrower on that crazy woman's cats in Paris? gently caress that.")

But instead it gives you skillpoints to stomp twice on animals.

Picture an augmented superagent loaded to the brim with rockets and pistols, jumping up and down cats like a dystopian mario brother.

awesome.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is the DX10 renderer/New Vision/HD Texture half rear end pack still the de facto improved graphics setup for this game? Its been far too long since I've played this goddamn amazing game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The sword in FO3 is pretty much our beloved Lightsaber rip off which is awesome. I've got plans for a JC Denton character in a future play through now.

All it really is missing is the nanoblade shooting out of the hilt when being equipped complete with that sound.

Fallout 3 is a million times more fun than Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fallout 3 is a million times more fun than Deus Ex: Invisible War.

After Area 51 and the Aquinas hub blew up, worldwide nuclear defense systems went into overdrive... :monocle:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Can anyone help me out with getting the theme music out of the game?

There's one that actually plays on the title screen (my favourite version and the one I actually want), there's a different sounding one that I have from the soundtrack, and there's several versions on Youtube. How can I get the one from the game into a proper music file?

Thanks in advance for any help :shobon:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The UMX files in \DeusEx\Music\ are essentially plain IT files. You can open and convert them with ModPlug Tracker.

The title tune in MP3 format.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Spatial posted:

The UMX files in \DeusEx\Music\ are essentially plain IT files. You can open and convert them with ModPlug Tracker.

The title tune in MP3 format.

Thanks a bunch. Now modding all the dispensers in TF2 to play this constantly on loop.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Is there any meaningful area of the game (i.e. one which contains items, datapads, etc.) that can only be reached with the speed enhancement aug? I really can't think of any except perhaps for the aerial platforms on the east(?) end of Tonnochi Road. I don't think you can get up to the billboard (which has a biocell or somesuch) without either enhanced jumping or grenade climbing.

Incidentally, I somewhat recently discovered something amusing in the tutorial. I'm sure this has been noted by others, but you can easily smuggle weaponry past the quartermaster. This makes the stealth course amusing. Apparently, blowing up the guards with LAMs isn't "stealthy" :airquote:. That agent Navarre sure is a whiny bitch. :colbert:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Stathol posted:

Is there any meaningful area of the game (i.e. one which contains items, datapads, etc.) that can only be reached with the speed enhancement aug? I really can't think of any except perhaps for the aerial platforms on the east(?) end of Tonnochi Road. I don't think you can get up to the billboard (which has a biocell or somesuch) without either enhanced jumping or grenade climbing.

You can get up there from Maggie's building, I think. I was able to. I just wasn't able to get off the billboard without killing myself.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Samopsa posted:

But instead it gives you skillpoints to stomp twice on animals.

Picture an augmented superagent loaded to the brim with rockets and pistols, jumping up and down cats like a dystopian mario brother.

awesome.
Yea but what if you want to set them on fire?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

stratdax posted:

You can get up there from Maggie's building, I think. I was able to. I just wasn't able to get off the billboard without killing myself.
I think you may be right, now that I think about it. One of my favorite DX moments actually involves that billboard. Even with the speed enhancement aug, you take a fair amount of falling damage if you just jump straight down to the street. So I usually take a running jump onto one of the ledges on other side of that red arch-like structure below.

The first time I performed this jump, I was playing with headphones. I just about startled the poo poo out of myself when I landed with a deafening "MRRRRREEEEEOOOW!" Yeah, so ... apparently there was a cat wandering back and forth on that ledge (operative word: "was").

Who knew? v:shobon:v

On that note:
It's raining cats!

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Stathol posted:

The first time I performed this jump, I was playing with headphones. I just about startled the poo poo out of myself when I landed with a deafening "MRRRRREEEEEOOOW!" Yeah, so ... apparently there was a cat wandering back and forth on that ledge (operative word: "was").

Flattened stray cat while basejumping in Hong Kong? What a shame.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Stathol posted:

Incidentally, I somewhat recently discovered something amusing in the tutorial. I'm sure this has been noted by others, but you can easily smuggle weaponry past the quartermaster. This makes the stealth course amusing. Apparently, blowing up the guards with LAMs isn't "stealthy" :airquote:. That agent Navarre sure is a whiny bitch. :colbert:
Just as you go to give stuff to the quartermaster, press Fire while holding a LAM. The guard will take the activated LAM off you, and then blow himself to smithereens with it. :downs:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Stathol posted:

But sneaking weapons past security is the ultimate in stealth!

My buttcheeks are augmented.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Angry Diplomat posted:

The DX editor itself cannot- instead you have to edit the GEP weapon file (it's a plain text file stored inside deusex.u, I think it's called weapongepgun.uc).
1. Use the editor to extract the deusex.u files (Open UnrealEd, in the window on the far right use the drop-down option to select "Classes", then at the bottom right click the "Extract All" button),
2. Find the gep gun script at Deus Ex\Deus Ex\Classes\Weapongepgun.uc
3. Under the default properties section create a new line:
code:
bCanHaveSilencer=True
4. Go back up and then delete deusex.u (the method of compiling a new deusex.u from those files you just extracted will fail without this step as it can't overwrite existing files as a safety precaution). If you get a message saying "Deusex.u is in use" make sure you closed UnrealEd back after step one.
5. Open a command prompt (start, run, "cmd"), navigate to your Deus Ex directory (an example command to do so would be
code:
cd Games
cd "Deus Ex"
cd System
The quotation marks are needed for folder names with a space in them, otherwise the command prompt will end up looking for a folder named Deus and ignore the Ex. If your Deus Ex folder is instead named "Deusex", then disregard this.
6. Type this: ucc make. If all goes well, you should have a new deusex.u file and when you go ingame and get a new GEP gun, it should take a silencer.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Excellent! Now to add a range mod to my knife.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Actually, just experimented with the silenced gep gun. You can accomplish it with console commands entirely, without having to edit game files.

1: Enable cheats. The easiest way is to edit your deus ex shortcut with "-Hax0r" at the end of it.
2. Hit T. Erase the "say" part that pops up, and in its place type "summon weaponmodsilencer" and then "set weapongepgun bcanhavesilencer true".
3. Use the Silencer.

This will successfully silence your gep gun. However, this does NOT silence the Gep gun rocket. You can shoot the gep gun next to people and nobody will give a poo poo, right up until the rocket hits something and explodes, in which case everyone will know you (the guy holding the gep gun obv.) did it and turn on you. This works from any range- I ghosted up the statue of liberty and shot a silenced rocket down at the invincible unacto troops on the ground, and any within blast radius/hearing distance of the rocket started running for the statue and shooting at me.
I'm still looking up how to silence the rocket itself.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think the four day weekend I have coming up is going to be a fine time to start my tenth anniversary playthrough.

It really is depressing to realize that no one's ever going to make a game like this again.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

Fnoigy posted:

Set them on fire, stomp out the flames?

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Nail Rat posted:

I think the four day weekend I have coming up is going to be a fine time to start my tenth anniversary playthrough.

It really is depressing to realize that no one's ever going to make a game like this again.

Yes but then you realize that this game will never go away either so you go from :smith: to :science:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fnoigy posted:

Shifter can't recognize people burning to death as one of your kills, so you can light anyone on fire without fear of being penalized skill points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
Playing shifter on Unrealistic now.

The skill point system kind of shapes my choices, I'm now trying to headshot people from a great distance instead of blowing them up with crates of TNT or whatever.