Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

yeah

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
I generally grant undos in the hope that when I make a retarded move and immediately realize it, they'll accept my undo as well. They always do.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
If I think they put their stone down next to an obvious position then I will give them the undo, however if they take to long... Then gently caress 'em.

Where is the completion of that game? I need some entertainment :munch:

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
oh we had a game a year ago

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
ps made that poo poo with http://gowrite.net/GOWrite2.html textures off bitches

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

sensual donkey punching posted:

ps made that poo poo with http://gowrite.net/GOWrite2.html textures off bitches

Textures should always be off :colbert:

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Decided that I want to pick this up. Even going through the simple tutorials I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it so I'm preparing myself to lose lots and lots of games before anything clicks.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

belt posted:

Decided that I want to pick this up. Even going through the simple tutorials I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it so I'm preparing myself to lose lots and lots of games before anything clicks.

Come ye to the SA room on KGS, and we'll show you how to play. I found starting against the computer to be extremely unsatisfying.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Cybermg posted:

I generally grant undos in the hope that when I make a retarded move and immediately realize it, they'll accept my undo as well. They always do.

I made it my policy that I never ask for undo and that I never refuse one when asked. Makes life a lot easier when you never have to argue if you refuse, and you never have to get upset because your undo request is denied after you granted one or more yourself.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

belt posted:

We will definately help you out, so come pop in.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008
O hi.
Who is up for some GO?! :O

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Can't. I got temporarily blocked for rude behaviour. Go Rage is a problem for me~

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Wilitus
Mar 3, 2008
Lucien, lucien you should know.
Go is about being mad, mad about your opponents scrub moves.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
It is also about telling your opponents to "shove it up your rear end furry human being"

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ath I know you're disappointed, but I can change, I swear

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Ath I know you're disappointed, but I can change, I swear

Oiseaux without the go rage just wouldn't be oiseaux. Never change.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

man at 19k you dont know poo poo about go rage

you are the go rage equivalent of the six year old kid who wants to some day be as cool as his ten year old brother who in reality is just a punk-rear end little kid

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
So I wish to play Go.

My father has been playing Go since Junior High. It's like his one hobby when he's not doing the family business stuff. He loves the game, keeps a board in his office, one at home, and a travel board in the car. I've never been interested because we were never that close and he didn't have the time/patience (warning: child's bias) to sit with me and teach me.

He's kind of having health issues and staying home more now, brooding over games of Go. I'd like to learn the game and play with him! It'd be a nice bonding experience I feel. What's the best/fastest way to get to a level where I could even play with him in a semi-competitive way? Is it lessons? Online play? I don't really know much about the game, but I don't think playing with me while I'm totally clueless would be much fun for him.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Sivlan posted:

So I wish to play Go.

My father has been playing Go since Junior High. It's like his one hobby when he's not doing the family business stuff. He loves the game, keeps a board in his office, one at home, and a travel board in the car. I've never been interested because we were never that close and he didn't have the time/patience (warning: child's bias) to sit with me and teach me.

He's kind of having health issues and staying home more now, brooding over games of Go. I'd like to learn the game and play with him! It'd be a nice bonding experience I feel. What's the best/fastest way to get to a level where I could even play with him in a semi-competitive way? Is it lessons? Online play? I don't really know much about the game, but I don't think playing with me while I'm totally clueless would be much fun for him.

Play through the interactive learning site located in the first post. Then get on to KGS and play a lot of games. You can quickly get to around 12k by doing this and having us review/help you with your games. Meanwhile you can read books and do problems. I'd also just talk to your dad and tell him you're interested. If he's played that long it's likely going to take you a while before you can give him a good match. But handicaps can help speed that up.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Under 15 posted:

man at 19k you dont know poo poo about go rage

you are the go rage equivalent of the six year old kid who wants to some day be as cool as his ten year old brother who in reality is just a punk-rear end little kid

Quite the opposite, I'm not aspiring to be more angry when I lose

Anyway, are there any other sites like Go Problems, where the problems are presented in an interactive applet? I've been doing the Tsumego collection problems here, but I do enjoy the convenience of not having to set up the board each time.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 16, 2010

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

If you do problems at goproblems.com it's important to read out the problem before you click. If you just click you lose out on an important part of why doing tsumego helps you improve: reading moves out. I switched to books for this reason because I'm too easily tempted to start clicking first moves I think look good.

oiseaux morts 1994 that goes for on the board too. Instead of setting them up try just solving them in your head.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Blendy posted:

If he's played that long it's likely going to take you a while before you can give him a good match. But handicaps can help speed that up.

This is true. Handicaps in Go work really, really well. You're surely not ready for this quite yet but you'd be pretty amazed at the skill difference that they can make up for and still allow a fun game, especially if he's willing to point out some of your errors to help you improve.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
I finally won a game, so I thought I'd bump the thread and tell anyone who hasn't heard that they should come play go on KGS with us. It's fun!

Captain Swiss
Jul 9, 2008

This thread needs to be about twenty percent cooler.
Im a 'gut' player. I just play what I feel does good because I cant really comprehend deep moves too well. I am a beginner though, so I assume a lot of people are like that at the start. I havent played in a while, but I have played on the KGS server I think I'll redownload the program and give it another Go (Hohoho)

Edit: Fuckin hell.... Char Charmander

Captain Swiss fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 4, 2010

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Winning on time when you're losing by 50 points is a great feeling

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Winning on time when you're losing by 50 points is a great feeling

Unless it's a blitz game, I usually feel pretty bad about things like this. Undeserved wins never really sit well. This also happens to a lesser extent if your opponent makes a really stupid, obvious mistake which costs him a won game. Maybe I'm just too nice to people.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

ThePineapple posted:

Unless it's a blitz game, I usually feel pretty bad about things like this. Undeserved wins never really sit well. This also happens to a lesser extent if your opponent makes a really stupid, obvious mistake which costs him a won game. Maybe I'm just too nice to people.

Well if they don't request an undo on a really obvious mistake then that means to them it wasn't obvious, so there is nothing you should feel bad about. Also if I click and immediately afterwards realize it was a mistake I don't request undos because it will help me to remember in the future to think harder, and look at the board closely before clicking.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Captain Swiss posted:

Im a 'gut' player. I just play what I feel does good because I cant really comprehend deep moves too well. I am a beginner though, so I assume a lot of people are like that at the start. I havent played in a while, but I have played on the KGS server I think I'll redownload the program and give it another Go (Hohoho)

Edit: Fuckin hell.... Char Charmander

I play the moves I want to play even when I have read out that they don't work :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Go is like crack to me... worse than World of Warcraft. Everytime I sperg out and go "RRAGGHH gently caress THIS GAME I DON'T UNDERSTAND", I always come back :unsmith:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

I play the moves I want to play even when I have read out that they don't work :black101:

Isn't that just called overplay?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Its only overplay if your opponent notices!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Dopo posted:

Its only overplay if your opponent notices!

it's only overplay if it's punished.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

In Japan at the moment, picked up 4 problem books

Can't read Japanese, anybody able to help with the book titles?
The first two are split up into 3 sections, 6-10k, 1-5k, shodan, and the second two I'm not so sure. I basically picked them based on not having much text, and me being able to understand the problems (currently 6-7k)
Each was around $11.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lhet posted:

In Japan at the moment, picked up 4 problem books

Can't read Japanese, anybody able to help with the book titles

Clockwise from top left: No Time Tsumego, No Time Tesuji, Yose, Tsumego. Check Sensei's Library if you don't know the terms.

Edit: Yose is probably (but not necessarily) the "approach ko" meaning as opposed to the more common meaning, but it's probably pretty clear once you look inside the book.

dirby fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 25, 2010

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

In my absence from KGS I have IMPROVED TWO STONES. :ssj:

Thanks, MIT Go club nerds.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

qxan posted:

In my absence from KGS I have IMPROVED TWO STONES. :ssj:

Thanks, MIT Go club nerds.

I improve sometimes without even playing.

Thanks, KGS ranking system.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

I improve sometimes without even playing.

Thanks, KGS ranking system.

Nah, that's happened to me before but KGS deleted my account. So I had to start over. And ended up higher ranked. Maybe KGS has lost prestige in the time I spent off it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

helopticor posted:

Clockwise from top left: No Time Tsumego, No Time Tesuji, Yose, Tsumego. Check Sensei's Library if you don't know the terms.

Edit: Yose is probably (but not necessarily) the "approach ko" meaning as opposed to the more common meaning, but it's probably pretty clear once you look inside the book.

Thanks a lot. Also, (I'm pretty sure) yose is used in the traditional sense. It's a lot of endgame type problems focused on getting more profit than the obvious move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I used to play go a few years ago. I even won 20bux in a tournament once (high kyu handicap division - so I was just having a better day than other people)

Is the SA room pretty active for east coast US? Will you help me get my groove back?