Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerox
May 20, 2001
one of my computers has a folder that I want to stay synced with a folder on my WHS at all times, is there a good add on to let me do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nerox posted:

one of my computers has a folder that I want to stay synced with a folder on my WHS at all times, is there a good add on to let me do this?

I would do it from the client side and schedule either robocopy or SyncToy via the built-in Scheduler on Windows.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

qutius posted:

I would do it from the client side and schedule either robocopy or SyncToy via the built-in Scheduler on Windows.

That or this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Is there anyway to turn off duplication for individual folders? I am starting to rip some blu rays and I really don't want 80gb taken up for space instead of the standard 40gb.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

stgdz posted:

Is there anyway to turn off duplication for individual folders? I am starting to rip some blu rays and I really don't want 80gb taken up for space instead of the standard 40gb.

I think only from a share level.

Create a new share via the WHS console and you'll be good to go, duplication IS enabled by default to be sure to uncheck that box.

qutius fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 19, 2010

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I bought a pre-built WHS to act as a media server, but I'm having some problems already.

1) When I set up my XBMC, I pointed it to server/videos for all my media. XBMC finds the folders for everything, but does not show any of the video files. Just the .tb file.

2) How do I set up PS3 media server on the WHS? The only ways I have been able to connect to the WHS is through windows explorer and the icon in the tray. Neither of those ways seem to have a way to install programs.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

savesthedayrocks posted:

I bought a pre-built WHS to act as a media server, but I'm having some problems already.

1) When I set up my XBMC, I pointed it to server/videos for all my media. XBMC finds the folders for everything, but does not show any of the video files. Just the .tb file.

2) How do I set up PS3 media server on the WHS? The only ways I have been able to connect to the WHS is through windows explorer and the icon in the tray. Neither of those ways seem to have a way to install programs.

1) This can be a couple of things, but I'll skip to what you probably need to do: setup XBMC's library functionality. Point it at your media folders, set the content type and appropriate scrapers, then scan everything to the library. If you're feeling frisky, you can download EMM to manage your movies/TV shows from Windows and have it automatically create the .nfo and .tbn files you'll need. Once you do that, XBMC will import from the local files as opposed to using the scrapers.

2) You'll need to RDC into the WHS to be able to install programs. Just open remote desktop connection, enter the server's IP or name, and log in as the administrator and you'll be good to go.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If you're wanting to add lots of hard drives to your server, here's one way.

I have often wondered about the best way to go about this...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

If you're wanting to add lots of hard drives to your server, here's one way.

I have often wondered about the best way to go about this...

There has to be a better way then getting a motherboard with no CPU or memory just to provide power to that expander.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FISHMANPET posted:

There has to be a better way then getting a motherboard with no CPU or memory just to provide power to that expander.

I suppose...but then again the mobo is only $35.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

I suppose...but then again the mobo is only $35.

Yeah, after the first one he tried didn't work. There's no spot on NewEgg for "Provides power to PCIE devices without CPU or Memory" so a $35 board could end up being a $70 board.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, after the first one he tried didn't work. There's no spot on NewEgg for "Provides power to PCIE devices without CPU or Memory" so a $35 board could end up being a $70 board.

Well, don't buy the mobo from some place you can't return it to? I mean there is a reason this is a DIY project. I guess if you want assurances, buy an off the shelf product.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

Well, don't buy the mobo from some place you can't return it to? I mean there is a reason this is a DIY project. I guess if you want assurances, buy an off the shelf product.

Yeah, I understand that. It seems like the kind of problem some goony EE guy would look at solder a breadboard together that does it or something and sell it for some number of dollars. :shrug:.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The guys on the WGS podcast are claiming that Vail takes at least 50 gigs? :rolleyes:

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
I love how Windows Home Server has this weird, super active community backing it. It's so unlike Microsoft. :confused:

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

kri kri posted:

The guys on the WGS podcast are claiming that Vail takes at least 50 gigs? :rolleyes:

No loving way can an operating system - let alone a server OS - take up 50Gb. In five years time, maybe.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

modeski posted:

No loving way can an operating system - let alone a server OS - take up 50Gb. In five years time, maybe.

They were talking about SSDs, it was pretty interesting. I want to run a smallish SSD when Vail comes out.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

kri kri posted:

They were talking about SSDs, it was pretty interesting. I want to run a smallish SSD when Vail comes out.

Yeah, I'm thinking about that as well. Currently speccing out a WHS box, and at the moment considering having a 64Gb SSD for the OS, and four of those 2Tb WD green drives.

sucko
Jun 19, 2004
Any word on Vail performing an upgrade in-place? In the past all upgrades from 32bit to 64 required a total reinstall. I have no where to stage 6TB of data.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

sucko posted:

Any word on Vail performing an upgrade in-place? In the past all upgrades from 32bit to 64 required a total reinstall. I have no where to stage 6TB of data.

Nothing yet, but it will not be very pretty I don't think, since they are going 32->64 bit, and they are changing the disk extender so I doubt v1 pools will be able to just be able to go to v2 pools.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

sucko posted:

It isn't possible to move from 2008 x86 to x64, so I doubt it will be possible with Vail. This is a common issue across every Microsoft OS so it's likely to continue with this one too...

It'll be interesting to see how exactly migrations will be able to take place...with such little official info at the moment, speculation is the best we've got.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Comment on the article I linked posted:

You could also have used the Supermicro power board (~25$) instead of a motherboard. It has power connectors for Power, Reset, Fans, etc. I believe the part # is CSE-PTJBOD-CB1.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think Supermicro board has a PCI-E slot for HP expander card.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

modeski posted:

They might mean "it won't install unless you have at least a 50 gig drive," a bit like how WHS v1 only has a 20 gig OS partition (of which less than half is actually used) but won't install unless you have at least a 75 gig drive to install to.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

univbee posted:

They might mean "it won't install unless you have at least a 50 gig drive," a bit like how WHS v1 only has a 20 gig OS partition (of which less than half is actually used) but won't install unless you have at least a 75 gig drive to install to.

Oh! Well, that makes sense then.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So how many people here have tried vail yet, and what are your impressions? I'm gonna be getting a hard drive on Wednesday and will be ghetto dual booting vista and vail on my server.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Now, colour me stupid, but I've been agonising over specs for some time, trying to choose parts that will have low power consumption and I've just had a thought.

My current computer - which I've been planning on upgrading, as well as building a new WHS from scratch - is based around a Core2Duo E6300 with 2Gb of RAM. Is it just me, or does it make more sense to use my current Motherboard/CPU/RAM for a Vail-based server rather than buying all-new components? I mean from an economic standpoint. The amount it'd cost me in electricity to use current parts would more than off-set the savings from buying all-new components based on their having lower power consumption.

All I'd really have to do is buy a new case/PSU and hard drives (4x2Tb WD20 EARS) and recycle my current CPU/MB/RAM when I upgrade my main computer.

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 24, 2010

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
Hum, is it just me, or does the new striping filesystem worry anyone else?

With the current version of WHS, if a drive dies, the worst that happens is that all the files on that drive are lost. With the new version, theoretically, if one drive dies, you can loose pretty much everything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Scuttle_SE posted:

Hum, is it just me, or does the new striping filesystem worry anyone else?

With the current version of WHS, if a drive dies, the worst that happens is that all the files on that drive are lost. With the new version, theoretically, if one drive dies, you can loose pretty much everything.

That was the topic of contention 2 pages.

I'm still on the fence on this new FS. I'm going to have to wait on some good reviews that go in-depth with it before I make a decision myself.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New Vail video.

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/LarryLarsen/Windows-Home-Server-Vail/

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I really like some of the new features on Vail, especially the remote access stuff and improved/re-done UI. Hopefully upgrade path info will be posted soon, I'm sure that will put a lot of questions to bed. The silverlight implementation is great IMO.

WHS is running on a headless Intel NAS, that's going to make upgrading pretty difficult for me...getting WHS installed in the first place took enough research and I'm sure people are starting to crack into it already with the public beta.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I was all excited about trying out Vail on some spare hardware I had laying around but it absolutely raped my poor system :negative:

1.86GHz Core 2 Duo
1GB of RAM
750gb 2.5" primary drive

It took about 6 reboots before it finally went into the main OS, had to install probably 50 updates, and for basic folder shares it was still slower than Ubuntu 10.04 server which only needed like 35 minutes to get running without trouble.

Also how the HELL do you install that headless? Nothing about that looked like it could be remoted in for setup until the final stages.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

modeski posted:

Now, colour me stupid, but I've been agonising over specs for some time, trying to choose parts that will have low power consumption and I've just had a thought.

My current computer - which I've been planning on upgrading, as well as building a new WHS from scratch - is based around a Core2Duo E6300 with 2Gb of RAM. Is it just me, or does it make more sense to use my current Motherboard/CPU/RAM for a Vail-based server rather than buying all-new components? I mean from an economic standpoint. The amount it'd cost me in electricity to use current parts would more than off-set the savings from buying all-new components based on their having lower power consumption.

All I'd really have to do is buy a new case/PSU and hard drives (4x2Tb WD20 EARS) and recycle my current CPU/MB/RAM when I upgrade my main computer.

I used components I already had. My WHS is a quad core Q6600 with 4GB of ram and 12 hard drives. According to my Kill-A-Watt it uses between $4-$5/month in electricity...

Glad to see the console (ok, "Dashboard") still takes forever to login.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 25, 2010

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I used components I already had. My WHS is a quad core Q6600 with 4GB of ram and 12 hard drives. According to my Kill-A-Watt it uses between $4-$5/month in electricity...

Excellent! How are you powering all those drives, do you have two psus? I was thinking of having four 2tb and an old 250gb for the os, with room in the case for another three or four 2Tbs, but am not sure about the power requirements.

modeski fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 25, 2010

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

modeski posted:

Excellent! How are you powering all those drives, do you have two psus? I was thinking of having four 2tb and old 250gb for the os, with room in the case for another three or four 2Tbs, but am not sure about the power requirements.

One Corsair 850W PSU. (Also, I was wrong, it's 10 hard drives not 12.)

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Thermopyle posted:

One Corsair 850W PSU. (Also, I was wrong, it's 10 hard drives not 12.)

Hard drives are not that bad, running dual-core C2 with integrated graphics and 7 drives on 400W antec.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
HDs take like 10w at most you crazy folks. My 8 drive server runs with a 350w.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
According to specs, most hard drives pull 5A on the 12V rail at boot, which is the killer. Once they've spun up they take most of their power off the other rails, and they just sip it.

Staggered spin up should be easier.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

redeyes posted:

HDs take like 10w at most you crazy folks. My 8 drive server runs with a 350w.

I think you mean "crazy folk", since I knew they hardly drew much at all. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

modeski posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking about that as well. Currently speccing out a WHS box, and at the moment considering having a 64Gb SSD for the OS, and four of those 2Tb WD green drives.
I thought it was a bad idea to have the OS drive be separate from the the share drives.

• Locked thread