Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

All this talk of Detritus and Cuddy makes me want a new Watch book out already. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Flipswitch posted:

All this talk of Detritus and Cuddy makes me want a new Watch book out already. :smith:

Isn't "Scouting for Trolls" in the pipeline? Hopefully it'll have lots of Detritus.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jingo has Vimes Butler going psycho sergeant and Detritus gets his computer fan helmet so I think it is awesome still.

Plus Vimes showing us that he doesn't understand nautical science and sailing but he doesn't give a drat so he can keep up the chase.

Didn't it have Vimes not punching the wall when he left Vetinari's office, causing the Patrician to freak out about maybe going just a little too far or is that another one?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

Isn't "Scouting for Trolls" in the pipeline? Hopefully it'll have lots of Detritus.
It's definitely up coming, with Raising Taxes to be released first I believe, but its still a long wait.

I wonder if Brick will be in it, judging by the name that is.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

seaborgium posted:

Didn't it have Vimes not punching the wall when he left Vetinari's office, causing the Patrician to freak out about maybe going just a little too far or is that another one?

That was Men at Arms.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was in Cub/Boy Scouts for like 13 years and would be very interested to see what Pratchett has to say about the organization. Even if it's a fantasy version with rock monsters.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think you mean especially if it's a fantasy version with rock monsters

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I'd have liked to have seen a little more of Carrot's boy scouts like organisation in the sequels to Jingo, or even just a short story of what happened on a camping trip outside the city, possibly involving some bandits with very poor decision making skills.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

bandits with very poor decision making skills.

That reminds me. One of my favorite Watch scenes is the one where the unlicensed thieves attempt to rob that bar the Watch all hang out in. Slowly, the thieves realize that they've screwed up badly, and take a hostage. It's Angua. They haul her outside but the POV stays inside as Carrot and Vimes discuss what they're going to do with those thieves. The discussion is somewhat interrupted by screams and fingers scrabbling on the glass. Eventually, Carrot and Vimes agree thieves' injuries were self-inflicted.

I love that whole scene so much.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Terry was on The Museum of Curiosity on BBC Radio 4 this week, BBC radio programmes work wherever you are in the world I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k3wvk

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ConfusedUs posted:

That reminds me. One of my favorite Watch scenes is the one where the unlicensed thieves attempt to rob that bar the Watch all hang out in. Slowly, the thieves realize that they've screwed up badly, and take a hostage. It's Angua. They haul her outside but the POV stays inside as Carrot and Vimes discuss what they're going to do with those thieves. The discussion is somewhat interrupted by screams and fingers scrabbling on the glass. Eventually, Carrot and Vimes agree thieves' injuries were self-inflicted.

I love that whole scene so much.

The whole Watch philosophy has changed so much since the beginning. Vimes just using Bluejohn the troll as a riot shield, or in Night Watch when he discusses how he would have gotten a barricade taken down (Very loudly tell Detritus to point his crossbow at it and just wait for the barricade to remove itself). As much as he might not like other species, Vimes is very good at using their strengths to help the Watch work better.

As for the unlicensed thieves, at least the Watch was nicer than the Thieves Guild would have been.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

seaborgium posted:

The whole Watch philosophy has changed so much since the beginning. Vimes just using Bluejohn the troll as a riot shield, or in Night Watch when he discusses how he would have gotten a barricade taken down (Very loudly tell Detritus to point his crossbow at it and just wait for the barricade to remove itself). As much as he might not like other species, Vimes is very good at using their strengths to help the Watch work better.

As for the unlicensed thieves, at least the Watch was nicer than the Thieves Guild would have been.

It's pretty bad when "mauled by a werewolf" is better than the alternative.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ConfusedUs posted:

It's pretty bad when "mauled by a werewolf" is better than the alternative.

Nailed up by their figgin. :ohdear:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

As much as he might not like other species, Vimes is very good at using their strengths to help the Watch work better.

I think his own feelings have changed quite a bit. He definitely has no problems with dwarves or trolls. Heck, Angua's one of his most trusted officers.

Which makes me hope we see more of Vimes and Sally. I'd really love to see more interaction between the two.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
With the exception of Soul Music, all my favorite Disc books have been about The Watch.

I can't remember which one it was, but one of my favorite scenes was when Nobby (I think) became part of a foreign wives basket weaving circle.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

I can't remember which one it was, but one of my favorite scenes was when Nobby (I think) became part of a foreign wives basket weaving circle.

Jingo, which included a heartfelt sigh and an enquiry as to whether any of them were from Nubia, but Going Postal said it best about Vimes and other races, "here it doesn’t much matter what you’re made of when you join the Watch because Commander Vimes will see to it that you become solid copper through and through. He’s the most cynical bastard that walks under the sun’.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

With the exception of Soul Music, all my favorite Disc books have been about The Watch.

Jesus Christ, the last time I read Soul Music was 1998. That was a long time ago.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I don't believe this has been mentioned yet, but Amazon says I Shall Wear Midnight is coming out in September. And it's got cover art.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

inklesspen posted:

I don't believe this has been mentioned yet, but Amazon says I Shall Wear Midnight is coming out in September. And it's got cover art.

Granny Weatherwax. Uh oh. Unless she's in it to mentor Tiffany Aching, then someone's in trouble. If not the entire Disc.

Hot drat !

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

inklesspen posted:

Nac mac Feegle!

Oh lord, how I love those cow stealing little turds.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
O-kay, how old is Tiffany meant to be at the end of the last book? I've only read the first one but I thought she was teetering around 10 years old?

Oh and if anyone's not seen it yet Going Postal is on this Sunday on Sky One.

Yay!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
About 13. The books are about 2 years apart, and they start when she's about 9.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Tiffany_Aching

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Granny Weatherwax. Uh oh. Unless she's in it to mentor Tiffany Aching, then someone's in trouble. If not the entire Disc.

Hot drat !

Odds on Granny dying....

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bluemillion posted:

Nac mac Feegle!

Oh lord, how I love those cow stealing little turds.

They steal ships.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Odds on Granny dying....

:ohdear:

On one hand it would be fitting to end her story in some way. On the other hand she's way too badass to die.

Also, a few days ago Hogfather, The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum and Jingo arrived from Amazon, so after I finish my current not-quite-pulp scifi book, it's on with the series :dance:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

John Dough posted:

:ohdear:

On one hand it would be fitting to end her story in some way. On the other hand she's way too badass to die.

Also, a few days ago Hogfather, The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum and Jingo arrived from Amazon, so after I finish my current not-quite-pulp scifi book, it's on with the series :dance:

Hasn't Granny already beaten Death at a game for a life? God knows she could do it again. That old harpy is the scariest thing on the Disc.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Technically you could say she's done it at least three times that I can recall.

The end of Witches Abroad when she's inside the mirror world, in Maskerade where she played Poker with death to decide the fate of the cow or the boy, though Death let her win that one, and in Carpe Jugulum where she stood between the light and the dark and stepped backwards into the dark facing the light.

No argument on her being the scariest thing on the Disc though, after all a troll once appeared to be giving serious consideration to beating itself to death with its own club just from hearing her name.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

Hasn't Granny already beaten Death at a game for a life? God knows she could do it again. That old harpy is the scariest thing on the Disc.

Yeah, but it wasn't for her own. I think she'd consider that cheating.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

I think you're right about that, though I could easily see her playing for a short extension for an hour or two to take care of some final business, simply because she was too busy to be dead at that point in time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
We need to start a death list on characters we think or Pterry has intimated may be drawing nearer to coming within striking distance of nearing the end of their usefulness.

Oh my I don't even like typing that. So:

Granny Weatherwax > Old as hell, not going to take it anymore? Accepting Tiffany in a mentoring capacity, and we all know what happens to old mentors.

Lord Vetinari > Terry's mentioned more than once that he can't keep surviving all these assassination attempts forever, and he has begun shaping the City to his liking by placing Moist von Lipwig, Sam Vimes, Carrot and William de Worde in positions of prominence or power. All are capable men who operate the City to his liking, and would put it's safety beyond personal interest. Except for Moist, sometimes.

Angua > Easiest and most likely candidate for removal in the change to the Carrot-Angua dynamic that Terry has said always seems to be on the horizon; would she let herself be married to Carrot, especially if he ever has to assume a more prominent role in the city? Also there's a new spooky girl on the scene who seems to have a thing for Carrot, and what she turns into doesn't have fleas.

The Bursar > Has it already happened? Mentally ill and quite feeble for an extremely long time before his complete absence from Unseen Academicals got everybody wondering. A bit of a one-trick pony, could Terry have simply got tired of writing in jokes about "Dried Frorg Pils" or could something closer to home have stopped Bursar's inclusion in further escapades?

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 25, 2010

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I don't think he'll kill off characters simply for the sake of killing them off. That seems a bit too depressing, especially since he knows Discworld is nearing its end soon and there's no way he'd want to end on a dark note. For all his cynicism and commentary about the problems of the world (racism, corrupt rich, religion, etc.) he does try to interject optimistic futures for the reader to mull on after the stories end.

I mean, we know that Vetinari or Granny are going to die SOMEday, so what's the literary value of writing those deaths? The point of many of his stories is to see how they cope with LIFE and how they make things better while they are alive, just like we do.

Now, I'm not saying that death can't be part of an excellent story or character. Note a recurring theme of his dead characters: they still try to make the world better even after they're gone. Poons from Reaper Man, the King from Wyrd Sisters, Reg Shoe, Pteppic's ancestors, arguably the Silver Hoard, etc.

So there's still a lot of optimism even after they die. So, if Pterry did decide to kill off a character, he'd do so in a way to make their efforts and life still resonate with a positive note.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
Guys, guys. That's not Granny Weatherwax on the cover. Kidby's Weatherwax looks like this:

Judging by the shepherd's crook and general face, I'd say that's an older Tiffany. Given the title of the book, that's not far-fetched.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Mr. Moon posted:

Judging by the shepherd's crook and general face, I'd say that's an older Tiffany. Given the title of the book, that's not far-fetched.

Clearly - the old woman is wearing Tiffany's silver horse necklace, isn't she?

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
So there'll be a scene which flashes forwards to sixty years down the road where Tiffany is *the* Witch of Discworld.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shonagon posted:

Clearly - the old woman is wearing Tiffany's silver horse necklace, isn't she?

It looks like a rabbit broach to me - it's too solid to be the horse, and it's holding the cloak together.

EDIT: She does still look like an older Tiffany though.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 26, 2010

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Nilbop posted:

Angua > Easiest and most likely candidate for removal in the change to the Carrot-Angua dynamic that Terry has said always seems to be on the horizon; would she let herself be married to Carrot, especially if he ever has to assume a more prominent role in the city? Also there's a new spooky girl on the scene who seems to have a thing for Carrot, and what she turns into doesn't have fleas.

Part of it is that Pratchett sucks at writing romances. The main reason why he got together with Angua was to spoof the trope that royalty often choose 'inconvenient' partners. One thing that he did hint at in The Fifth Elephant was that Carrot has 'views' about birth control, which opens up a whole other plot line.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It looks like a rabbit broach to me - it's too solid to be the horse, and it's holding the cloak together.

EDIT: She does still look like an older Tiffany though.

It is a rabbit, isn't it. Thank God I'm not a vet..

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
I just recently finished listening to the Unseen Academicals audiobook, and was surprised how much I enjoyed it for a book about a subject I really could not care less about. I enjoyed the reading, but I think I enjoyed it far more for Pratchett's tendency to create interesting one shot characters that interact well with his recurring ones.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

I just recently finished listening to the Unseen Academicals audiobook, and was surprised how much I enjoyed it for a book about a subject I really could not care less about. I enjoyed the reading, but I think I enjoyed it far more for Pratchett's tendency to create interesting one shot characters that interact well with his recurring ones.

It was sort of "eh" for me. It reads like three different novels had a head-on collision, although I will say that, despite being someone with zero interest in football, it was an interesting read, at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It doesn't really have to be "about" football, I think it was just a more positive spin on the "mob" that we saw in Night Watch. Or well, positive in that it ended somewhat peaceably.

Also I don't really watch of play football, so I was totally lost when Stibbons was explaining the off-sides rule...

All told though, it was enjoyable, I could have done without the fashion plot, since it seemed to go nowhere.

Nobbs (no relation)

Has anyone read the graphic novels? I was returning UA to the library and happened to see Color of Magic/Light Fantastic, so I picked it up.