Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me DisneyNature: Earth was loving incredible?

Disney Nature is doing a documentary about large kitties in Africa, next year. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Planet Earth came out on BD?

:aaaaa:

Edit: And for only around $50 at most places, too! Why did I not know about this? Getting as soon as possible. Now I have to check on The Life of Birds and a bunch of other stuff too.

Edit 2: Oh my god they're all on blu-ray, amazon purchasing spree underway. You better MEAN "Like New," merchants :colbert:

Go buy Baraka ASAP and prepare for the real :aaaaa:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're into nature-y stuff then you also need to check out The Beauty of Snakes and Galapagos, both of which are terrific on BD. The National Geographic has some great stuff as well.

e:

The Wolfman reviewed x2
Happy Together reviewed
Class of Nuke 'Em High reviewed
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog reviewed

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 25, 2010

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Disney Nature is doing a documentary about large kitties in Africa, next year. :)

I missed Oceans (I figured theaters would be packed with kids, naturally) and so I can't wait for the Bluray.

If there's one thing I'm guaranteed to buy it's well produced documentaries about aquatic poo poo.

Captain Charisma posted:

Isn't Earth just a chopped up version of Planet Earth for kids?

Sort of. It's the same places and events recorded for Planet Earth, but it's extended and different shots. Also, James Earl Jones doing a hilarious narration.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 25, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In that case, also check out IMAX: Under the Sea. It doesn't really tread any new ground, but it's beautiful.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Firefly is $28 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Blu-ray-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B001EN71CW

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Agreed posted:

Planet Earth came out on BD?

:aaaaa:

Edit: And for only around $50 at most places, too! Why did I not know about this? Getting as soon as possible. Now I have to check on The Life of Birds and a bunch of other stuff too.

Edit 2: Oh my god they're all on blu-ray, amazon purchasing spree underway. You better MEAN "Like New," merchants :colbert:

Hopefully you didn't order it yet, but, you can get the "Planet Earth" Blu-Ray from Amazon UK for ridiculously cheap.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
So I got my new Saving Private Ryan in the mail yesterday... anyone else try theirs? Is it fixed?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Butthole Prince posted:

Hopefully you didn't order it yet, but, you can get the "Planet Earth" Blu-Ray from Amazon UK for ridiculously cheap.

I grabbed it from a well-reputed seller with tons of feedback claiming "Like New" condition for about half as much money as I could find anywhere, including Amazon UK.

Also, my wife and I already bought Disney's "Earth" in blu-ray from the local Movie Gallery when they put everything on clearance before shutting down. The footage on it is great, but to whomever said that it's "extended" from "Planet Earth" I don't think that's accurate. In fact there are only three main things in the Disney version, narrated very well and as mentioned with a lot of humor, but Planet Earth encompasses so much more.

We borrowed it on DVD from some friends, so we've already seen it, but the PS3's upscaling can only do so much and given how much we like nature documentaries (and especially ones with David Attenborough, his passion is incredibly infectious) I really, really want to see it (and own it) in blu-ray. I wish we had more money free, I see a ton of great nature documentaries available in BD that I didn't know about and I'd love to pick them up but right now I just got Planet Earth. I was going to get another one that builds on some of the Planet Earth stuff, also a BBC production, also David Attenborough, but Amazon didn't want to ship it for "1-3 weeks" and in that time maybe it'll come up for sale used for a better price.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 25, 2010

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I just picked up The Road on my lunch break, what a horrible DVD cover:

They should've used this one:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

This one is much worse

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
The graphic in the first isn't bad but all that text is pretty ugly.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

uncle jimbo posted:

So I got my new Saving Private Ryan in the mail yesterday... anyone else try theirs? Is it fixed?
Yeah and it owns.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

sportsgenius86 posted:

This one is much worse

To me the first one looks like a poorly done photoshop and isn't really indicative of the feel of the movie, which the second one is. Plus the title font is gently caress ugly. I'm all for less is more so that's probably why I prefer the second one.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Robert Analog posted:

To me the first one looks like a poorly done photoshop and isn't really indicative of the feel of the movie, which the second one is. Plus the title font is gently caress ugly. I'm all for less is more so that's probably why I prefer the second one.

Yeah I think the second one is beautiful while the first looks like more what I would expect from the Day After Tomorrow or 2012.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't get it. The second one looks like a god-awful fan photoshop to me.

I like the cover photo though.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Magnificent Seven Collection is already down to $33.99 on Amazon.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

It looks great, too, with the exception of all the low-res CG shots (which are distracting, but there really aren't that many of them.)

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Per releaselists, Anchorman is rumored for late August.

This has been a drat good month for Westerns...Hang 'Em High and The Magnificent Seven a couple weeks ago, Django and Stagecoach today, and The Dollars Trilogy next week.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
It's a shame to see that the picture-in-picture stuff on The Wolfman is only on the theatrical release. I may have to buy one and rent the other.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

doctor thodt posted:

Chloe 7/13

If they don't bundle this with jergens then that's an opportunity wasted.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

I just picked up The Road on my lunch break, what a horrible DVD cover:

I'm more excited for Book of Eli. Both movies are great but I liked Eli slightly more.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorClumsy posted:

It's a shame to see that the picture-in-picture stuff on The Wolfman is only on the theatrical release. I may have to buy one and rent the other.

There's only one release, it includes both the theatrical and director's cuts.

TheScott2K posted:

If they don't bundle this with jergens then that's an opportunity wasted.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll give anything by Egoyan a chance. The fact that Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore apparently have sex in it is just a nice little bonus.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Bambi posted:

Per releaselists, Anchorman is rumored for late August.

This has been a drat good month for Westerns...Hang 'Em High and The Magnificent Seven a couple weeks ago, Django and Stagecoach today, and The Dollars Trilogy next week.

gently caress yes, Anchorman - I have been waiting so long for that one.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Can anyone in the UK tell me if Old School is unrated or not? The American cover says Unrated, but the English one doesn't. Also, does it have the same extra material as the American edition?

Please help me out, I really want to see this movie again and my DVD is scratched :( .

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Watching War of the Worlds right now and it looks great. It definitely still retains that great 'found footage' look and DAAAAMN the low end is fantastic. My neighbors must hate me right now.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Profound Desires of the Gods is region B-locked, which is a shame because it looks goddamn magnificent :sigh:

edit: Arrow Films (UK distributor) will be releasing 3 Argento films in July and August: Tenebrae, Deep Red and Phenomena. Most of Arrow's releases have been region free so far.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 26, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paul Allen posted:

Watching War of the Worlds right now and it looks great. It definitely still retains that great 'found footage' look and DAAAAMN the low end is fantastic. My neighbors must hate me right now.

I wish I could watch it with your sound system. I watched it last night myself, but without a good sound system I felt like I was missing half of the movie. But as for the picture quality on the blu-ray itself, loving superb. Great looking movie and I have a new appreciation for the film since I haven't seen it in years now. I like it more then I originally did.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

Profound Desires of the Gods is region B-locked, which is a shame because it looks goddamn magnificent :sigh:

edit: Arrow Films (UK distributor) will be releasing 3 Argento films in July and August: Tenebrae, Deep Red and Phenomena. Most of Arrow's releases have been region free so far.

With the amount of BDs you buy, I don't know why you haven't just gotten an Oppo BDP-83 and the $50 easy-to-install region free mod. Unless you purposefully avoid it to prevent yourself from buying even MORE titles.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's exactly the reason :negative:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I'm more excited for Book of Eli. Both movies are great but I liked Eli slightly more.

I wouldn't compare them. The Road matched very, very closely to what I imagined when reading the book. With Eli all I could think about was Fallout 3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Book of Eli was loving stupid. That twist ending was beyond retarded too.

Mila Kunis is hot.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 26, 2010

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anyone know if I'll eventually be able to get Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More individually? I was looking at dvdbeaver and they seem to look great, but it sounds like I'd be better off getting a different country's edition of GBU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've had "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" for a while now and I finally got around to watching it last night. It looked fine to me, certainly much better than I've ever seen it on TV or DVD before. If I can pick up the other 2 films for $20 some day I'd rather do that than spring $50 on the set.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The Book of Eli was loving stupid. That twist ending was beyond retarded too.

Mila Kunis is hot.

Garth, I think that was a haiku!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Just ordered both Firefly and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly from Amazon; only $70AU shipped. Considering Firefly is in stores here for around about $69AU, I'm happy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Butthole Prince posted:

Garth, I think that was a haiku!

That kinda was wasn't it? :v: That was not intentional.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Red Riding Trilogy coming August 17th

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday, Withnail and I, and Time Bandits all August 24th and they are cheapppp.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NOGNQA/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B003NOGNQA&creative=373489&camp=211189
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NOGNXI/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B003NOGNXI&creative=373489&camp=211189
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NOGNXS/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B003NOGNXS&creative=373489&camp=211189
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NOGNR4/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B003NOGNR4&creative=373489&camp=211189

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Oh, an The Good, The Bad, and The Weird for August 17th

• Locked thread