Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

greenman100 posted:

Brilliant... funny... and... 4 pages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Brilliant... funny... and... 4 pages ago.

Still going on now, which is a failure in and of itself

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not really, which you'd know if you read what was posted 5 pages ago.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
After our Rover rally last month where we got a lot of rain I pulled off the wheels and was greeted by this sight X 8(both Defender and Range Rover Classic). What I get for parking the trucks in the middle of creeks while I spotted others through tough spots. Water found its way into all the bearings. Luckily bearings are a cheap, easy fix on Land Rovers.

It's always a joy to walk into the auto parts store and say I need a wheel bearing for a '94 Defender. They ask 'front or rear?' and I tell them they're the same. They ask 'inner or outer?' I say it still doesn't matter. When I try to explain that it's the same part number for all of them they always doubt me until they pull it up themselves. It's nice to have all the bearings at all 4 corners, inner and outer be exactly the same for both the D-90 and RRC. I always keep a set in the offroad tool kit just in case.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I've never owned a Jeep. Is there possibly a second shock/strut/support/jackstand somewhere near the back right tire doing the job of the one that is broken off and pointing at anyone foolish enough to follow this guy?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Micromancer posted:

I've never owned a Jeep. Is there possibly a second shock/strut/support/jackstand somewhere near the back right tire doing the job of the one that is broken off and pointing at anyone foolish enough to follow this guy?

Could that be part of a tire iron / tire iron-jack extension apparatus or something? I am unsure if that model mounts the spare right below the rear bay like that.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
Our endurance race car ran out of endurance:

This heap of junk metal used to be a DOHC D16A9 from a CRX. My teammate was exiting a corner and close to redline on 2nd gear when the engine just failed catastrophically. Saw it from the pitwall - pretty spectacular. Unbelievably, the head only needed a few valves and their guides replaced whereas the whole bottom end was completely unsalvageable

A couple more photos from the teardown here.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Micromancer posted:

Looks like possible busted E-brake cable, or a broken sway bar.

I drove past a YJ Wrangler putting on down the road with the front driver's side shock completely disconnected from the top mount, hanging just inches from the road, pointing toward the rear. The woman driving it was in complete blissful oblivion, but considering the leaf sprung suspension, the ride quality probably wasn't much degraded.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

firehawk posted:

Our endurance race car ran out of endurance:

This heap of junk metal used to be a DOHC D16A9 from a CRX. My teammate was exiting a corner and close to redline on 2nd gear when the engine just failed catastrophically. Saw it from the pitwall - pretty spectacular. Unbelievably, the head only needed a few valves and their guides replaced whereas the whole bottom end was completely unsalvageable

A couple more photos from the teardown here.

My guess is the crank snapped between those two pistons that threw their rods, it did throw two rods, right?

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
What happens when you fit a solid brake rotor with a caliper off a vented rotor? This:

Cast iron too, must have been some serious lateral force going on to finally fail like that.
HR Holden rotor, HQ caliper. Luckily it did it backing out of the driveway at 3 kmh..

The owner is now doing a dual circuit brake upgrade along with bigger rotors. Previous owner syndrome! :argh:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
closeup of the shock - its hard to see, this is from the 1600xwhatever original though. I just went through a format and all of my image editing poo poo is not installed so I can't really clean it up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Well, there's a nice spill of something there.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
crosspost from CA, buddys CBR900, just happened tonight, his engine had started making a slight knocking yesterday, on the way home while overtaking two cars, this happened.

(front of his engine behind the headers)

managed to keep it upright and get stopped despite the oil all over his brakes, wheels, red hot headers (end of a 25 mile commute) and legs. was about a mile from his house, and his girlfriend heard the bang from their yard.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Sponge! posted:

My guess is the crank snapped between those two pistons that threw their rods, it did throw two rods, right?
It threw two rods, yes, but the crank actually stayed in one piece, albeit bent and scratched useless. The #4 rod (the one all bent to hell) clearly had a bearing failure as it broke at the big end which had turned all blue and black. I have no idea on what happened with the #3 rod which just snapped cleanly in half.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

genuineparts posted:

Gives you wings indeed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3ybBIqBb4

What the hell actually happened here? From the looks of it and the commentary, he locked the brakes while trying to slow for the corner, the tyres skidded on the road and then the suspension just shattered?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The front uprights were a new and, in hindsight, crappy design. They couldn't deal with the load when he hit the brakes, the right one failed putting way too much load on the left which failed immediately afterwards.

E: Might have left and right mixed up. I know the story was one failed causing the other one to go, it all happened so quickly it looked like they both snapped at the same time.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 23, 2010

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Ephphatha posted:

What the hell actually happened here? From the looks of it and the commentary, he locked the brakes while trying to slow for the corner, the tyres skidded on the road and then the suspension just shattered?

I would guess that something went wrong in the brake system, they locked up almost immediately, and the rotational force of the wheels just ripped the suspension apart.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Whats even more :psyduck: to me is right at 00:37-39, you see the camera apparently taken out by one of the tires. It's like the tire decided "I'm free & i'm taking someone/something WITH ME!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

firehawk posted:

It threw two rods, yes, but the crank actually stayed in one piece, albeit bent and scratched useless. The #4 rod (the one all bent to hell) clearly had a bearing failure as it broke at the big end which had turned all blue and black. I have no idea on what happened with the #3 rod which just snapped cleanly in half.

It's a d/b series. I would bet big money that the #3 rod went first.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Joe Mama posted:

I would guess that something went wrong in the brake system, they locked up almost immediately, and the rotational force of the wheels just ripped the suspension apart.

Locking up actually imparts less force than full braking. The upright on the left simply wasn't designed for the torque the brakes applied and gave up the ghost. After all, these things stop faster than they accelerate, and we all know how fast these things accelerate, so the torque generated by the brakes must be massive, along with the heat dissipation.

ModernDayDiogenes
Jul 3, 2007
"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin
As someone who works at a shipyard, I feel the need to see more examples of bad stuff happening on big metal floating things.

USS Hartford, aftermath of a collision with the USS New Orleans. The submarine is sitting even in the water. The sail is not.
15 members of the sub crew were injured, but no fatalities.

Click here for the full 600x896 image.

USS San Francisco, after running into an underwater mountain. The steel that makes up the hull of the submarine is a high-strength alloy, and the outer shell alone is a couple of inches thick.
One sailor was killed by injuries sustained in the collision.

Click here for the full 1033x817 image.

Arresting cable snaps on a carrier during an F/A-18 landing. It's worth watching just to see the one member of the flight deck manage to jump over the cable and not get injured. Several people got injured by this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFZx3tMEnA

Lancer8XT
Mar 27, 2010

ModernDayDiogenes posted:

As someone who works at a shipyard, I feel the need to see more examples of bad stuff happening on big metal floating things.

USS Hartford, aftermath of a collision with the USS New Orleans. The submarine is sitting even in the water. The sail is not.
15 members of the sub crew were injured, but no fatalities.

Click here for the full 600x896 image.

Do you by any chance work at the yard where they sent the Hartford for repairs? I was an intern there for a few years and am starting full time in july. Apparently they were at a training exercise and she tried to surface underneath the New Orleans. I wasn't there when she got brought in but from what I heard, it held up to the damage miraculously well for what had happened. A guy I know was stationed on her at the time of the accident, and he said he was sleeping in the torpedo room and woke up on the wall, since she was pitched about 45* off keel.

anyway, for content,

I was on my school's FSAE team (villanova) and although I wasn't at the competition when this happened, we show the video as a lesson why you put rod ends in tension/compression, and not bending. :science:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJL4-wGPjCo

The fact that both the wheels lose it at the same time shows that it was a suspension failure, and not loose lugs like the video implies.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Arresting cable snaps on a carrier during an F/A-18 landing. It's worth watching just to see the one member of the flight deck manage to jump over the cable and not get injured. Several people got injured by this one.

Are they trained to just start jumping like that??

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

ozziegt posted:

Are they trained to just start jumping like that??

I really doubt it. Jumping up and down, you spend more time in contact with the ground than in the air. Dude's just fast, but didn't get as much hang-time as he was expecting.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ApathyGifted posted:

I really doubt it. Jumping up and down, you spend more time in contact with the ground than in the air. Dude's just fast, but didn't get as much hang-time as he was expecting.

The commentary in the video suggests that there were two pieces that flew under his feet, so either he's lucky to have jumped twice, or is just loving fast.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

anonumos posted:

The commentary in the video suggests that there were two pieces that flew under his feet, so either he's lucky to have jumped twice, or is just loving fast.

Watch the video again. You can see one piece go under him on the first jump and another go under on the second. All of the people getting hit in the background get hit twice too. It's pretty awesome to see them get smacked in the shins and dropped by the first piece and then clubbed in the melon by the second piece.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If I were that guy I'd be walking abound with the biggest :smug: ever seen by man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Exploded engine on a motorcycle forum:

Note that the shift fork has jumped out of the shift drum. :psyduck:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFZx3tMEnA

Oh snap! :hurr:

I wonder how common those cables fail?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is more of a human failing than a mechanical one but I think it still belongs here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWXmHBoV2GM

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Two Finger posted:

This is more of a human failing than a mechanical one but I think it still belongs here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWXmHBoV2GM

According to the same video posted by someone else, there were people in that boat and there were fatalities. :(

I ate Jesus
Feb 27, 2001

trouser chili posted:

That is a Dana 44. Maybe it looks different because the spindle is IH.

I guess that would explain why it looks so familiar, it does look a little different in IH form. Did you ever get it off? I had constant bearing problems running bigger (36-38") tires on the D44. Just early failure and sticking to the spindle, but I basically just resigned myself to pulling and repacking the bearings after every weekend in the woods. I was just glad I wasn't snapping axle shafts :).

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008
I had recently heard of an amazing mechanical failure but alas i was to late to get pictures. My friends car managed to throw not a rod or a piston but half a camshaft!

The intake cam somehow managed to break in half and partially eject itself out of the block? Everyone including the wreckers who picked it up was totally stunned by it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

I ate Jesus posted:

I guess that would explain why it looks so familiar, it does look a little different in IH form. Did you ever get it off? I had constant bearing problems running bigger (36-38") tires on the D44. Just early failure and sticking to the spindle, but I basically just resigned myself to pulling and repacking the bearings after every weekend in the woods. I was just glad I wasn't snapping axle shafts :).

Yeah, the Scouts are notorious for eating wheel bearings if you wheel them a lot. Submerge a wheel and there is a good chance the bearings will go soon. The spindle seal basically just sucks, and if there is any runout in your bearing, the seal just gets chewed away. Of course, wheeling them causes the bearings to get loose, causing runout. So you wheel it, trash the spindle seal, then submerge a wheel and get mud in your bearings and poof, they're gone. It's apparently a pretty common problem with most solid axles, not just Scouts.

I got my spindle off and picked up a few spares, as well as a new (used) hub body. Just gotta put all the poo poo together, I've been lazy and busy, and then lazy again. When it goes together I'm going to put anti-seize all over the spindle where it mates with the knuckle, and then again a light coat where the bearing races mate with the spindle. Might help, I dunno.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Not so much a mechanical failure as it is a road failure. Or maybe a planning failure.

But hey! Look how strong that loving trailer is! (yeah it's just I-beams with wheels)

If I were them, I would demolish the house, slap a bed over those beams, and pave a ramp and use it as the new bridge. Leave the wheels hanging there just to mess with people.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I'd just hook up utilities and build a new bridge downstream.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I could see making an awesome porch to fish off of.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slung Blade posted:

Falling Water for the trailer set.

e:clarity

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 27, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

joat mon posted:

Falling Water for the trailer set:

This is now my dream home. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

This is now my dream home. Holy poo poo.

Yeah, that's Fallingwater, probably Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous bit of architecture. There's a shitload of info on it out there if you're interested.