Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

There's a book recommendation thread stickied at the top of this forum.

Ah, so I'm the rear end in a top hat. Thanks, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Tarodia posted:

That was team Uppercut, in the Chikara King of Trios.

Thank you. I have no idea where my version of that came from except for a terrible memory.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Why does Jericho have 'lion' in the name of some of his moves? Leftovers from some old gimmick?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jewellers posted:

Why does Jericho have 'lion' in the name of some of his moves? Leftovers from some old gimmick?
He was "Lionheart" Chris Jericho as a face in WCW.
Now that you mention it, I could see how "lionsault" must sound like a really random name for a move. I'm sure a generation of new fans doesn't really get the "Y2J" thing either.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2010

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Think its a hold over from his days in Mexico.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

I think Foley's second one is still good, but stay the gently caress away from his third one.

Foley's books are an interesting progression; in the first, he's basically writing in his happy-go-lucky, goofy, lovable guy persona. He gets crankier in the second, and The Hardcore Diaries is a few hundred pages of a horribly insecure man complaining that Vince is a douche because he didn't think Terry Funk could headline a Pay-Per-View.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

Foley's books are an interesting progression; in the first, he's basically writing in his happy-go-lucky, goofy, lovable guy persona. He gets crankier in the second, and The Hardcore Diaries is a few hundred pages of a horribly insecure man complaining that Vince is a douche because he didn't think Terry Funk could headline a Pay-Per-View.

Is it bad that I completely agree with Vince

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Save Russian Jews posted:

Is it bad that I completely agree with Vince

The man might be crazy, but he does have an uncanny sense for what's bad for business.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Umbra Dubium posted:

The man might be crazy, but he does have an uncanny sense for what's bad for business.

This is true, even if he ignores it half the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The third book is interesting for seeing the construction and eventual execution of an angle against the backdrop of changing plans and priorities - but it relies too heavily on the reader being aware of the actual matches themselves (whereas the first two books could be read by someone who had never watched a wrestling show in their lives) and it keeps sidelining into his charity work (I think it's lovely he does charity work, but you don't need to keep talking about it!) and all the stuff with Stacey Kiebler which I'm convinced was some weird-rear end attempt to sow the seeds for an angle in his books and later his wwe.com blogs and germinate it into what eventually became the Foley vs Flair storyline (with Melina replacing Kiebler when she didn't re-sign).

So essentially it's a Big Hot Tranny Mess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Croc posted:

Think its a hold over from his days in Mexico.

Bingo. He was called Corazon de Leon in CMLL. I think it got Anglicised when Paul E brought him in, and it stuck for a while into his WCW run.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The third book is interesting for seeing the construction and eventual execution of an angle against the backdrop of changing plans and priorities - but it relies too heavily on the reader being aware of the actual matches themselves (whereas the first two books could be read by someone who had never watched a wrestling show in their lives) and it keeps sidelining into his charity work (I think it's lovely he does charity work, but you don't need to keep talking about it!) and all the stuff with Stacey Kiebler which I'm convinced was some weird-rear end attempt to sow the seeds for an angle in his books and later his wwe.com blogs and germinate it into what eventually became the Foley vs Flair storyline (with Melina replacing Kiebler when she didn't re-sign).

So essentially it's a Big Hot Tranny Mess.

The entire episode surrounding this book, when taken in with what happened onscreen, went a long way towards killing Mick Foley's reputation with fans, I think. There's no shortage of Foley antics to be confused or bored by in the '06-'07 time frame.

I mean, first he turns heel, and I keenly remember him getting absolutely no reaction from audiences when he tried to explain it, in his obvious attempt to recreate a sort of Cane Dewey scenario. Then Terry Funk comes out, and no one can figure out why Funk is even there, since you can tell by the way he walks that he can't go, but whatever, it's not like this is going to be the main event.

Then you read his book and realize that Foley all along wanted Funk to be a centerpiece of the company and do retarded bottom-of-the-barrel Attitude era poo poo like bite a chunk out of Vince's rear end. Then Foley whines incessantly for most of an entire book when he doesn't get his way. That is, when he's not talking about his charity work or his conversation with a diva, which, sorry Mick, absolutely no one cares about.

I mean John Cena is something like the all-time Make-A-Wish record holder now, but a book about it would be terrible.

Then he has an absolutely disappointing feud with Ric Flair followed by a big stupid double-turn with Melina. I think all throughout this time there were rumors and vague allusions to Triple H lobbying to lessen Foley's creative contributions, and really, we should all at least thank him for that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The entire episode surrounding this book, when taken in with what happened onscreen, went a long way towards killing Mick Foley's reputation with fans, I think. There's no shortage of Foley antics to be confused or bored by in the '06-'07 time frame.

I mean, first he turns heel, and I keenly remember him getting absolutely no reaction from audiences when he tried to explain it, in his obvious attempt to recreate a sort of Cane Dewey scenario. Then Terry Funk comes out, and no one can figure out why Funk is even there, since you can tell by the way he walks that he can't go, but whatever, it's not like this is going to be the main event.

Then you read his book and realize that Foley all along wanted Funk to be a centerpiece of the company and do retarded bottom-of-the-barrel Attitude era poo poo like bite a chunk out of Vince's rear end. Then Foley whines incessantly for most of an entire book when he doesn't get his way. That is, when he's not talking about his charity work or his conversation with a diva, which, sorry Mick, absolutely no one cares about.

I mean John Cena is something like the all-time Make-A-Wish record holder now, but a book about it would be terrible.

Then he has an absolutely disappointing feud with Ric Flair followed by a big stupid double-turn with Melina. I think all throughout this time there were rumors and vague allusions to Triple H lobbying to lessen Foley's creative contributions, and really, we should all at least thank him for that.

We butt heads a lot here, but there isn't a single thing here you've said I disagree with.

Savour it, mon cheri.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Will Super Liger ever return? :ohdear:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
What does James Mitchell do now?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

What does James Mitchell do now?

Sings karaoke and antagonizes people at Florida resorts, and makes more than he did in ECW or TNA.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I don't think I've ever seen James Mitchell in a managerial role or on a documentary or a podcast and failed to be entertained by him. Even if he's involved in something as stupid as the CHRIS PARKS storyline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I agree with pretty much everything apart from that there were portions of the Foley/Flair feud I really enjoyed (the end with Melina and her turn on him later was terrible), not least of which is the story that they made up over their past bitterness and then got into a big argument over who should be put over in the match (they each wanted to put the other over!)

But yeah, Foley's idea was interesting but as a main event act it would have been awful, as awful as Cornette's fantasy Wrestlemania booking thing.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Foley and Flair are two of the best promos of all time IMO, and they brought some solid ones in the feud. Unfortunately, they then had to wrestle.

Jerusalem posted:

as awful as Cornette's fantasy Wrestlemania booking thing.

Elaborate?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

Sings karaoke and antagonizes people at Florida resorts, and makes more than he did in ECW or TNA.

Please name these resorts. I am in Miami and have nothing to do for three months. It's time for a road trip thread.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CVagts posted:

Foley and Flair are two of the best promos of all time IMO, and they brought some solid ones in the feud. Unfortunately, they then had to wrestle.

Elaborate?

Cornette was asked how he'd fantasy book Wrestlemania 17 or 18 (and the Invasion) for a DVD fantasy booking release, I believe. Someone needs to re-post his entire proposed Mania card, because I can't find it on the forums and its hilarious, but in 2002 he had something like:

Brock Lesnar v. Bam Bam Bigelow
Jeff Jarrett & Goldust v. The Steiners (I think)
Steve Austin v. Mick Foley main event (Foley is retired and has wrestled Austin 800 times before at this point)
The Undertaker v. Terry Funk co-main event
Dusty Rhodes wrestling somebody (this is the worst)

It's the stupidest, most geriatric card imaginable.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 26, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I read Foley's first 2 books dozens of times each, the first one to a point where the spine broke and the book fell in half. I read the third one once. What a loving disappointment.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Steve Austin v. Mick Foley main event (Foley is retired and has wrestled Austin 800 times before at this point)

Dusty and Hogan in the main event, actually. Yikes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Is anyone else looking forward to book number 4? I hope it means more of happy Mick, but I'm not holding my breath.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

TL posted:

Is anyone else looking forward to book number 4? I hope it means more of happy Mick, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's all TNA.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't mean to backseat mod but there's a whole stickied thread to discuss wrestling books.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Jewellers posted:

Jericho's Mexican monicer was Corazón de León, which he took with him to Japan and then America.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So after the bit in the TNA thread about how WWE has kind of a generic look for it's women, I was wondering whose idea was the Diva Search? I'd assume Laurinaitis had a big part in it's creation because that seems like the type of thing he'd go for.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Cornette was asked how he'd fantasy book Wrestlemania 17 or 18 (and the Invasion) for a DVD fantasy booking release, I believe. Someone needs to re-post his entire proposed Mania card, because I can't find it on the forums and its hilarious, but in 2002 he had something like:

It's the stupidest, most geriatric card imaginable.

Somebody really does need to find the rest of this because it sounds hilarious.

Half of those matches would wind up with the other guy literally getting killed. Lesnar would murder 2002 Bigelow, Undertaker would murder the poo poo out of Terry Funk.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Ummmmmmmmmmmm Terry Funk can't die...

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

Is there a back story to all the "bearskin rug" comments I'm hearing about Vince McMahon in shoot interviews?

Sorry if its been answered in here, I couldn't find it.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Here's the card for Cornette's Guest Booker, bold denotes winner.

Austin vs Foley
Undertaker vs Funk
The Rock vs Sting
Hogan managed by Jimmy Hart vs Dusty managed by Jim Cornette
Vince McMahon vs Flair; Flair gets 5 minutes alone with Bischoff if he wins
Dudleys vs Warriors
Angle vs Benoit
Triple H vs Booker T
Edge/Christian vs Nova/Jerry Lynn
Big Show/Kane vs Steiner Brothers
Jericho vs Lance Storm
Hardy Boys w/ Lita vs Jarrett/Dustin Rhodes
Eddie Guerrero/Saturn/Malenko vs Chavo/Mysterio/Candido w/ Tammy Sytch
Lesnar vs Bam Bam Bigelow
Rhyno vs Kevin Nash

Battle Royal
Steve Blackman
D'Lo Brown
Al Snow
Val Venis
Bull Buchanan
Justin Credible
William Regal
Bill Demott
Balls Mahoney
RVD
DDP
Kanyon
Harris Twins

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
Dude had to be trollin' everyone when he came up with that, putting whatever random person against another.

Except I wouldn't mind seeing Undertaker/Terry Funk for the :gonk: and :cry: factors.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Cactus Jack posted:

Triple H vs Booker T

Ha.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
a dreamcard with Triple H going over the last WCW world/us champion and Kevin Nash going over the last ECW world/tv champion

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

But this man is a genius, you see! He's a genius because he yells a lot!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ZombieSupaStar posted:

Is there a back story to all the "bearskin rug" comments I'm hearing about Vince McMahon in shoot interviews?

Sorry if its been answered in here, I couldn't find it.

Vince has a bearskin rug in the principal's office.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmmm Terry Funk can't die...

A world without Terry Funk is not a world any of us should want to live in, really.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Wow, a 16 match PPV? This years WrestleMania had ten matches and some of them didn't even have enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I like it when people act as if Jim Cornette no longer has any credibility because his wrestling fanfic isn't very good.