Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Saint Septimus posted:

Maze Heroes: Meikyuu Densetsu maybe.

edit: Might be Battle Hunter, though.

yep it was battle hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Capitan!
May 1, 2006
DO YOU KNOW MY SKILLS?!?!
I'm looking for a platformer for the PC. The only video I saw for it was in japanese. The main character looked like the "bobblehead" characters from princess mononoke. As far as I could tell, it was freeware. The main gimmick was that you could hit a key and the field would rotate 90 degrees into/out of the field of view. A poor example could be that an L shape could be rotated to the right 90 degrees on the Y axis to turn it into an |.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

El Capitan! posted:

I'm looking for a platformer for the PC. The only video I saw for it was in japanese. The main character looked like the "bobblehead" characters from princess mononoke. As far as I could tell, it was freeware. The main gimmick was that you could hit a key and the field would rotate 90 degrees into/out of the field of view. A poor example could be that an L shape could be rotated to the right 90 degrees on the Y axis to turn it into an |.

Fez? It's still not out yet.

El Capitan!
May 1, 2006
DO YOU KNOW MY SKILLS?!?!

Hakkesshu posted:

Fez? It's still not out yet.

This is totally the game. Thank you. I'm sad that it's not out :(

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Much love to whoever names this one.

A DOS game, maybe Windows NT, it was a kids game about recycling. It was point-and-click style, and you'd go around the world (different screens) and pick up litter/recyclables and turn off wasteful/polluting stuff. I believe there were 4 types of recyclables (paper, aluminum, etc) and each had their own "special item" hidden around the area where if you recycled it it gave a bunch of points. One of them was in a volcano I think.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the people in the world were humanoid animals.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Recylamals

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Recylamals

Why you gotta get my hopes up like that? :(

claptrap
Sep 30, 2008

What was the name of the old DOS game where you ran around with a vacuum cleaner, and got points for picking up treasure and could use that $$ to buy vacuum upgrades -- if you sucked up too much trash (long stringy things or something too big for the vacuum model you were currently using) then your vacuum cleaner would break??

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

the last signal... posted:

A DOS game, maybe Windows NT, it was a kids game about recycling. It was point-and-click style, and you'd go around the world (different screens) and pick up litter/recyclables and turn off wasteful/polluting stuff. I believe there were 4 types of recyclables (paper, aluminum, etc) and each had their own "special item" hidden around the area where if you recycled it it gave a bunch of points. One of them was in a volcano I think.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the people in the world were humanoid animals.
I'm almost certain that this is one that I enjoyed as a kid and also had to have identified by one of these threads: Eco-Saurus.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Connellingus posted:

I'm almost certain that this is one that I enjoyed as a kid and also had to have identified by one of these threads: Eco-Saurus.

Holy poo poo that's it! Thank you!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

axolotl farmer posted:

Kung-Fu Master?

I'm pretty sure the game I played had better graphics. I think it was still before then SNES came out but arcade games had 16 bit graphics.

and I think the game took place outside.

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008
I'm looking for a retro-style indie RPG that I played years ago. I thought it was a Spiderweb Software product, but after looking at their games, it's not any of those. It is kinda similar in gameplay and graphics though.

It was top down, tile-based, with unimpressive graphics. I think it was turn-based too in that the enemies wouldn't move if you didn't.

You only controlled a single main character in this one, and if I remember correctly the gameplay was pretty simple. Cursor keys to move, and you move into an enemy to attack him.

I remember very little of the actual game, I have pictures in my head of an abandoned castle and a farming area near the beginning of the game, but I can't really describe it well enough for it to help.

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

Sucker Punch posted:

I'm looking for a retro-style indie RPG that I played years ago. I thought it was a Spiderweb Software product, but after looking at their games, it's not any of those. It is kinda similar in gameplay and graphics though.

It was top down, tile-based, with unimpressive graphics. I think it was turn-based too in that the enemies wouldn't move if you didn't.

You only controlled a single main character in this one, and if I remember correctly the gameplay was pretty simple. Cursor keys to move, and you move into an enemy to attack him.

I remember very little of the actual game, I have pictures in my head of an abandoned castle and a farming area near the beginning of the game, but I can't really describe it well enough for it to help.

Shot in the dark, but could it be Eschalon: Book 1?

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008
Nope, but I've played that, and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

The graphics are simpler than that, and if I remember correctly, it's not isometric. Up-down, left-right, rather than the diagonal style.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sucker Punch posted:

Almost definitely Castle of the Winds, which I believe was made by Epic.

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008

Twitch posted:

Almost definitely Castle of the Winds, which I believe was made by Epic.

Nope, but it is kinda bizarre how closely my description matches that. There was more plot and quests than Castle of the Winds. Multiple dungeons and areas to explore, like Avernum in that sense.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sucker Punch posted:

Nope, but it is kinda bizarre how closely my description matches that. There was more plot and quests than Castle of the Winds. Multiple dungeons and areas to explore, like Avernum in that sense.

Was this on DOS or Windows or something else? That style of game is called "roguelike", so narrowing it down by OS might make it easier to find.

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

Was this on DOS or Windows or something else? That style of game is called "roguelike", so narrowing it down by OS might make it easier to find.

No, it's windows, and not a rogue-like.

I'm pretty sure very little apart from battle was random. You'd fight more or less the same monsters in the same places every time you played.

EDIT: This is now driving me crazy. I'm now googling variations on "indie pc rpgs" and hoping I get lucky with a name or screenshot jogging my memory. I remember the game more visually than anything specific.

Sucker Punch fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 10, 2010

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Maybe it was Dark Disciples? I think I remember that game having turn-based combat.

Clanrat
Jan 24, 2010
RTS game.
Three factions. Humans, some sort of robots and aliens.

The human units looked pretty standard. And I remember that one unit was a hovertank with some sort of rocket launcher on top.

The robots were your standard mechas.

The alien units looked like insects, for example the alien bomber was a gigantic hornet.

If I remember correctly there were 2 resources, oil which was collected by building derricks (I think). And power which was collected by building power generators or wind turbines.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It's gotta be KKnD 2.

Sucker Punch
Jan 24, 2008

Saint Septimus posted:

Maybe it was Dark Disciples? I think I remember that game having turn-based combat.

Holy poo poo that's it. Thank you so much.

EDIT: And hey, there's a Dark Disciples II now. The next few hours of my live are effectively written off.

Sucker Punch fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 10, 2010

Clanrat
Jan 24, 2010

Flannelette posted:

It's gotta be KKnD 2.

Thats the one, thanks a bunch!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 30, 2014

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Jesto posted:

It was some japanese game full of little anime characters, and it started off with you hitting the male character off into the distance.

Nanaca Crash

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to solve the mystery of what game I used to play a lot when
I was younger. I've been looking for a couple years whenever these threads pop up and still no luck. Here's a few of the facts, as best as I remember them.

1) I played the demo on some cd sampler disc from PC Gamer or some equivalent monthly magazine, somewhere around 94 to 98 or so. Came out around the same time as things like Brain Dead 13, Descent, Sim City, and I think Mario Teaches Typing may have been on the same disc.
2) While I don't remember the name, I KNOW it started with an N and I'm fairly certain the first part of it was Necro or Neuro.
3) It was a point-and-click puzzle game, very stark imagery and ambient music. The main location of the game was a maze looking thing with little black polygons in the ground. If you clicked them, they opened up to a new section where you had to solve some bizarro puzzle. The only other real object around you was a tree that's branches turned into a hand that was holding a glass sphere.
4) The story was something about a doctor that was lost in his own mind and slowly going insane. Somehow, you were inside his mind and looking for him, in hopes of helping him escape.
5) Maybe one of the most distinguishing parts of it was the first puzzle you run into; it was a floating head (that sort of looked like a seahorse?) that would talk at you while going through different emotions. One of them was the head yelling at you 'WHERE DID YOU HIDE MY CIGARETTES??' and that's the right one you're supposed to click on to finish that puzzle.

The more I look at this, the more I realize that it must have been one hosed up game.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Okay there is a lot of pages to search through, does anyone know what the awesome game I played in elementary school. It was the early 90's and it was some like adventure-ish game where you searched around for clues about a whaler and junk from the town its set in. It was on a bunch of my schools computers along with Cross Country Canada or whatever that trucking game was called.

hemanoncrack
Jan 23, 2003

I AM WET
Sorry to dig this thread back up but my brother and I have been reminiscing about our old Commodore 64 and the lovely yet retarded games we used to play on it. CaveMan Ughlympics, Bruce Lee, Blood and Guts, Snokie, Dino Eggs, list goes on and on.

There is one game that is bugging us to remember it. It takes place in a movie theatre lobby and you are trying to get enough tokens to get into the movie. You run around the lobby and check the pay phones for tokens, and some other places too. Also in the lobby are two little guys that kind of look like barstools on a unicycle. They try to steal the tokens from you. To keep them distracted as you collect tokens you have to put a token in the Popcorn machine, which they love, or the jukebox. Once you have all the tokens you can get into the movie. The graphics were horrible of course, everything was white. I think it may have been named Fur Elise, but google provides nothing.

Anyone have any clue? I'm afraid it may have been some home grown game or foreign game as we had literally hundreds of games growing up but most I have not seen any proof of. Pengo, Pulga, Chilly Willy are a few.

Tug Grundo
Mar 16, 2010
What is the name of this arcade piano game? I know I've seen it or something very similar to it at a Dave & Busters here in the States.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTUQ_4rxvQ

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man

Tug Grundo posted:

What is the name of this arcade piano game? I know I've seen it or something very similar to it at a Dave & Busters here in the States.

Looks like Pop'n Music, or at least something extremely similar.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

hemanoncrack posted:

There is one game that is bugging us to remember it. It takes place in a movie theatre lobby and you are trying to get enough tokens to get into the movie. You run around the lobby and check the pay phones for tokens, and some other places too. Also in the lobby are two little guys that kind of look like barstools on a unicycle. They try to steal the tokens from you. To keep them distracted as you collect tokens you have to put a token in the Popcorn machine, which they love, or the jukebox. Once you have all the tokens you can get into the movie. The graphics were horrible of course, everything was white. I think it may have been named Fur Elise, but google provides nothing.

Spare Change possibly.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tug Grundo posted:

That's definitely Pop'n Music. They actually have made it for PS2 for some time, up to the 14th game in the series. (They're up to 18.)

This video is from Pop'n Music 7, specifically, though the song (Classic 4 - Concertare) was originally on Pop'n Music 4.

Here's a more recent video showing something of a similar skill level for how good people are at the game now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BX4LQYBUVY

:suicide:

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Japanese game I swear I played as a demo on the Xbox 360 at least a year ago. It was a weird card/board/RPG game, where you had an M:tG style deck and dueled a CPU player for ownership of tiles on the board. It seemed really cool but I completely forgot about its existence. Anyone have an idea?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kasonic posted:

Japanese game I swear I played as a demo on the Xbox 360 at least a year ago. It was a weird card/board/RPG game, where you had an M:tG style deck and dueled a CPU player for ownership of tiles on the board. It seemed really cool but I completely forgot about its existence. Anyone have an idea?

Cultcept, I forget the subtitle thing

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Cultcept, I forget the subtitle thing

Culdcept Saga

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rack posted:

I've been trying to solve the mystery of what game I used to play a lot when
I was younger. I've been looking for a couple years whenever these threads pop up and still no luck. Here's a few of the facts, as best as I remember them.

1) I played the demo on some cd sampler disc from PC Gamer or some equivalent monthly magazine, somewhere around 94 to 98 or so. Came out around the same time as things like Brain Dead 13, Descent, Sim City, and I think Mario Teaches Typing may have been on the same disc.
2) While I don't remember the name, I KNOW it started with an N and I'm fairly certain the first part of it was Necro or Neuro.
3) It was a point-and-click puzzle game, very stark imagery and ambient music. The main location of the game was a maze looking thing with little black polygons in the ground. If you clicked them, they opened up to a new section where you had to solve some bizarro puzzle. The only other real object around you was a tree that's branches turned into a hand that was holding a glass sphere.
4) The story was something about a doctor that was lost in his own mind and slowly going insane. Somehow, you were inside his mind and looking for him, in hopes of helping him escape.
5) Maybe one of the most distinguishing parts of it was the first puzzle you run into; it was a floating head (that sort of looked like a seahorse?) that would talk at you while going through different emotions. One of them was the head yelling at you 'WHERE DID YOU HIDE MY CIGARETTES??' and that's the right one you're supposed to click on to finish that puzzle.

The more I look at this, the more I realize that it must have been one hosed up game.

Wow this is a confusing one.

For the letter N: Noctropolis
and just in case, I have No Mouth and I must Scream
Due to the surreal imagery, I'm wagering it's Dark Seed 1 or 2.

Sadly I've never finished the first two or started the latter two of these games despite all of them being on my watch list since I was a teen when they came out.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

There was a game on NES or SNES (think it was the former) that I played once at a friend's house. It had two modes to it - in one it was RTS like, you were harvesting resources and building a city. After you'd done one level like that, it switched to the other mode where you were in a spaceship fighting some bad guy in a top-down mode, kind of like asteroids.

triggerpappy
Mar 29, 2010

Vidmaster posted:

There was a game on NES or SNES (think it was the former) that I played once at a friend's house. It had two modes to it - in one it was RTS like, you were harvesting resources and building a city. After you'd done one level like that, it switched to the other mode where you were in a spaceship fighting some bad guy in a top-down mode, kind of like asteroids.

First I thought it was Space viking or star control but then you said NES so its probably

MULE

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

triggerpappy posted:

First I thought it was Space viking or star control but then you said NES so its probably

MULE

No, I know it's not MULE, the world was grassy and had water and trees and stuff, and you were controlling little people. It was almost an RTS-like game, only I don't remember if you fought anyone or were just building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Vidmaster posted:

No, I know it's not MULE, the world was grassy and had water and trees and stuff, and you were controlling little people. It was almost an RTS-like game, only I don't remember if you fought anyone or were just building.

Sure it's not Actraiser 1? That didn't have a top-down spaceship dealie, but it did switch between side-scrolling action sequences and a SimCity type minigame.

• Locked thread