Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

rivals posted:

Hopefully the updates for Sound And Fury keep getting better. The first list had no bands I want to see but the next update has Bane, Punch, and Loma Prieta. Hopefully it will be worth going to.

Hahahah honestly, that's what I was thinking, though I dunno about Bane. I'd also like to see Mourningside. I heard Integrity and Earth Crisis might be there, which would definitely be sick.

At the moment, it just looks like a looooot a xTUFF-BROx kinda stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

rivals posted:

Hopefully the updates for Sound And Fury keep getting better. The first list had no bands I want to see but the next update has Bane, Punch, and Loma Prieta. Hopefully it will be worth going to.

My band, DEADHEAD, is playing so go rear end in a top hat. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

At the moment, it just looks like a looooot a xTUFF-BROx kinda stuff.

That's not particularly surprising considering it's Sound And Fury, and all.

lifeloveregret posted:

My band, DEADHEAD, is playing so go rear end in a top hat. :)

Haha alright maybe I will. Only about an hour fifteen for me. Also loving Pizza Guru. I haven't been to Pizza Guru in forever. Is that your only project right now?

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

rivals posted:

Yeah, but last year's wasn't so concentrated with it, I feel. Oh well. Either way, this'll be convenient, since I'll be working in SB over the summer.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

rivals posted:

Haha alright maybe I will. Only about an hour fifteen for me. Also loving Pizza Guru. I haven't been to Pizza Guru in forever. Is that your only project right now?

guru is awesome, i forgot about that place. i'm in the bad lovers also. trying to get on f yeah fest

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Oh nice, didn't know if you guys were still doing stuff. I should be able to make it down this year, we'll see though. Really hoping the lineup improves though. I miss when it was Sink With Cali and basically Rivalry Showcase v2, but oh well.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Just saw Walls. That ruled. Wish I was going to Chaos in Tejas but I cant this year, hope everyone who is going enjoys it.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.

tolvaire posted:

Anyone excited for Chaos in Tejas this weekend? because I am.

Hell yeah, leaving Thursday monring. Hopefully in time to catch that opening free show with Obliteration and Mammoth Grinder. Then Crow in the night. This weekend is gonna rule

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

I'll be at Tejas Friday-Sunday. Hopefully I will be killed during the outro to "Truth" by Bastard, because that would be ideally how I would want to leave this world.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'm here at Chaos and seeing Pentagram tonight! Sweet!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finally bought my own copy of Dream Homes today, then promptly left it in the car so I couldn't make a good rip of it. I'm awesome.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

fastpork posted:

Check out mewithoutYou, they cover a similar style, and Aaron really sounds like Cedric to me. The only thing is that they are a christian band, though they cover more spiritual tones than just jebus praising. I don't actually mind it, because they are so damned good. Catch for Us the Foxes particularly reeks of ATDI, IMO.

And seconding Bear Vs. Shark, who come off as Modest Mouse meets ATDI, and as those are two of my favorite groups, I really like BvS.

If you're gonna check out mewithoutYou, just skip them and move right onto La Dispute. I think they capture everything that is good about mewithoutYou, but are much more ballsy and heavier.

Backing BvS hard though, that band rules.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

meWithoutYou is better than La Dispute imo, I don't understand all the hate. Check out Brother, Sister, it's a fantastic album.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Gloom - Recommendation of Perdition 12" reissue out June 15th from Crust War. If you don't have this in your collection, just give up at life. The most destructive and intense record ever.

oh hell yes

terrorized
Sep 5, 2006

burning-fvckin'-spirits.
Cannot wait to see Slang and Poison Idea on Saturday

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
La Dispute is pure trash.

More importantly, Low Threat Profile (!!!!) is playing shows in July. (!!!!)

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
The new Dopamines album is up for preorder on Paper + Plastick with a download link and it's amazing.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 30, 2010

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005

tolvaire posted:

Cannot wait to see Slang and Poison Idea on Saturday

Slang killed it. Poison Idea was just a loving joke. Jerry has become the next HR, they are completely unwatchable live. Biggest disappointment all weekend.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I saw them about two years ago, they were not nearly as bad. Rumor flying around the band condo this morning was that Jerry threatened to fly home earlier today unless someone found him heroin. I can't substantiate, wouldn't really doubt it, but it's pretty sad when you're more hosed up than the dudes in BASTARD. The mass exodus two songs into PI's set was hilarious to watch. Seeing Ken Sanderson from Prank walk over, listen for thirty seconds, start laughing hysterically and then post a status update saying "Poison Idea, killing the idea one song at a time" is a new classic.

La URSS was the best loving set of the night, hands down. Bone Awl was sweet.

Also, direct quotation over avocado margaritas today: "the generous portion of my life is over. I'm approaching the second half of my life and you can all go gently caress yourself!" - Dick Lucas

See ya'll at Subhumans tomorrow? Say hi! I'll post photos from Talk Is Poison on the boat show and from the after party tonight when I get back to the bay.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

TheBlackMallard posted:

The new Dopamines album is up for preorder on Paper + Plastick with a download link and it's amazing.

Oh poo poo, it's finally up for preorder?!
Love those guys!

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 30, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And new Rumspringer comes out in two days too

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Bone Awl was sweet.

Did you see Twin Stumps? They played Nashville on their way to Austin, and killed it to a crowd of like 12 people, 4 of whom were groupies for a high school band that played support after their set and 2 of which were in said high school band. Anyways, I saw the line up for the Bone Awl / Inquisition show and peed a little.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005

baberaham lincoln posted:

Did you see Twin Stumps? They played Nashville on their way to Austin, and killed it to a crowd of like 12 people, 4 of whom were groupies for a high school band that played support after their set and 2 of which were in said high school band. Anyways, I saw the line up for the Bone Awl / Inquisition show and peed a little.

I saw Twin Stumps inside of Emo's, and while I like the lp, i was bored to death live for some reason. The singer had great energy, but too me they seem like a poor man's Drunkdriver. I'm probably the only one that thinks that.

Bone Awl was sooooo loving good. Volahn was kind of boring and so was Inquisition.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
The Menzingers, Cheap Girls and DIRECT HIT! at some dude's house tonight. Gonna rule. :dance:

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

La Dispute is pure trash.

More importantly, Low Threat Profile (!!!!) is playing shows in July. (!!!!)

Oh man I'd love to see Low Threat Profile.

Also really don't get the love for La Dispute.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

I caught a few minutes and wasn't really feeling it. Bands who play an entire set and I never see the members obese faces through their masses of greasy hair strewn across their faces turn me off. Bone Awl is always good, they play in the Bay fairly often, but showing up to the stage in full corpse paint and insisting they turn off all the stage lights was pretty rad. Their set was engaging and not too long, my attention tends to stray when its so loving hot outside.

Cross Stitched Eyes, Criaturas and Subhumans at Beerland was loving killer today, at the condo cooling down now, then dinner and a the best lineup of Bastard Noise (not just two dudes hunched over synths, REAL INSTRUMENTS) and then Rorschach, Young Offenders and Marked Men. woop woop!

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I caught a few minutes and wasn't really feeling it. Bands who play an entire set and I never see the members obese faces through their masses of greasy hair strewn across their faces turn me off.

One of them is bald, two of them have less than half an inch long hair, one of them has well manicured curls, and none of them are at all fat. I think you're getting them confused with Volahn?

I've heard / used the Drunkdriver comparison, but it would be hard for any band to top that band live (RIP, except not, cus rape is bad yall). They are intentionally way slower and more trudging than Drunkdriver.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

One of them is bald, two of them have less than half an inch long hair, one of them has well manicured curls, and none of them are at all fat. I think you're getting them confused with Volahn?

I've heard / used the Drunkdriver comparison, but it would be hard for any band to top that band live (RIP, except not, cus rape is bad yall). They are intentionally way slower and more trudging than Drunkdriver.

Definitely had them confused with Volahn then, for sure.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I hate how all year the only decent skram shows in Belgium were Gods & Queens and Zann. And then, all of a sudden, there's a Comadre/Punch/Trainwreck/Millions of Them(check the last one out, they're Belgian hardcore, ex-Am I Dead Yet?) and a Titan show. In two different towns. loving hell.

Someone's been talking about merging the two shows. Which would be rad as gently caress. I could go without a skramz show for another year if that was the case.

Sorry about me using the horrible term 'skramz'. Just gotten so accustomed to it.

e: Just heard La Dispute is playing here soon as well. I'm as mixed on them as most people here but are they any good live?

e2: I think I just convinced the organiser of the Titan show to email the Comadre show organiser. There appears to be some friction between them but it's in the best interest of the bands that they merge. A lot of people won't doubt about which show to go to, after all, Titan only has one (meager) local support act. Personal grudges are so not hardcore.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 31, 2010

terrorized
Sep 5, 2006

burning-fvckin'-spirits.

mind eraser posted:

Slang killed it. Poison Idea was just a loving joke. Jerry has become the next HR, they are completely unwatchable live. Biggest disappointment all weekend.

Yeah dude ended up seeing Slang twice. Once at the Broken Neck at like 3 in the morning or some poo poo, then again at Emo's and they were badass each time. Poison Idea didn't do nearly as well as I had hoped but oh well, i still had a good loving time during their set. The only thing that sucked was the vox. The Pist did real good...oh and World Burns to Death sound loving awesome live. Fun weekend!

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So is there video of this disastrous PI set or anything?

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Whew, exhausted as gently caress from Tejas. So many good bands, good people, good times, and good hot dogs from the Hot Dog King truck by Beerland. Top bands:

Bastard - duh.
Bastard Noise - Amazing. My body was shaking from the heaviness. Wood layed it down HARD and Connell was a loving beast on the drums.
Slang - Even better than when I saw em in Tokyo last year, which I thought would be hard to beat! Helped their singer find water and towels at a gas station before their set at Broken Neck. Gave me a crash course in early 80's Sapporo HC bands as we walked there. Can't wait to see em in Detroit on Saturday.
Morpheme - Their set at Emo's was good, but the next day at a pizza parlor was even better. Ended with a Shitlickers cover!!!
Nerveskade - Made Disorder seem like pop music. Wish I had their guitarist's tone.
Crow - probably the "worst" of the best bands, not that they were anywhere close to being bad or anything, but they didn't blow me away like I'm used to from most Japanese bands. Still had a good time during their set at Beerland.

Many other bands were great as well (The Pist, Subhumans, Vaaska, Deskonocidos to name a few). Still have yet to hear anything positive about Poison Idea from anyone. Now THAT takes talent (or lack thereof).

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
I heard that one of the dudes in Bastard was legally dead for a period of time due to heroin overdose. If true, this owns, punk as gently caress, etc

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

iizawa from Bastard did indeed OD on bad cocaine shortly after arriving in the USA. Souichi from Forward almost filled in on bass, but thankfully everything worked out.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Ugh wish I could be there for Tejas.

In other news, Low Threat Profile and Weekend Nachos are going to be touring California (and probably won't come back for a long time)! These are going to be Low Threat Profile FIRST shows ever, too!

Friday, July 23- San Francisco/Bay Area, CA
Saturday, July 24- Sacramento, CA
Sunday, July 25- Los Angeles, CA

Of course it's during Sound And Fury. Ugh. Probably going to the LA show, since it's a shorter drive from SB.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

ChaosNonMusica posted:

iizawa from Bastard did indeed OD on bad cocaine shortly after arriving in the USA. Souichi from Forward almost filled in on bass, but thankfully everything worked out.

It wasn't cocaine and he wasn't "legally dead" at any point, but yes. Souichi's texas tattoo rules!

Edited to add: Crow wasn't slaying like they usually do this time around, but they were still super enjoyable to party with and can only be classified as "true ragers." Out on the smoking deck at the condos at 9:30 am, pounding tall cans of heineken, chain smoking and pantsless partying. Yesssssssssssss. I'll post photos and funny stories when I'm home, still stuck at a layover in SLC.

Bastard were SUPER creepy and pretty inappropriate with their leering/touching/taking photos of girls. Booooo.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2010

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Bastard were SUPER creepy and pretty inappropriate with their leering/touching/taking photos of girls. Booooo.

Really? I didn't see or hear anything about this. I did hear about Crow (of Crow) doing all that though.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

TheBlackMallard posted:

I got a copy of it last week and it's amazing.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Converge kicked rear end last week in Atlanta. Smaller turnout than I had expected - but still a very lively crowd. It seems they made an arrangement with the Masquerade to allow the fans to mosh/crowdsurf because they were lettin people on the stage like crazy. Never seen that before...

Here's the video we managed to put together from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIZBtp8Bx4

Make sure you watch it in HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

sw1gger posted:

Converge kicked rear end last week in Atlanta. Smaller turnout than I had expected - but still a very lively crowd. It seems they made an arrangement with the Masquerade to allow the fans to mosh/crowdsurf because they were lettin people on the stage like crazy. Never seen that before...

Here's the video we managed to put together from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIZBtp8Bx4

Make sure you watch it in HD

I was there. Stagediving like a mother fucker.

Do you have any more footage of the show?

Kim Jong-Chill fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 3, 2010