Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Bubble-T posted:

I love Snail :)

I've always felt there's something more upbeat about it that helps it stand out on Gish.

Agreed again bubble T. Snail is the Gish equivalent of Mayonaise, that's what I've always said. And Tristessa ain't bad either... Gish is real solid for being all over the place tonally, if it ended stronger than Window Paine (boring) and My Daydream (eh) it'd be almost perfect (not so keen on Suffer for the most part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Deceiver posted:

not enough love for "Untitled" in this thread

Untitled was amazing to listen to when it first premiered just before the OG lineup's last show at the Metro, and I immediately bought the import single when I found it. It was such a nice return to form, almost Siamese Dream-esque but a whole lot more mature.

And then Billy had to gently caress it all up again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

With that said, I don't understand why Teargarden does NOT sound more like songs like 'Untitled'. He said he was 'going back to his sound from Siamese' didn't he?

We're still waiting...

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With that said, I don't understand why Teargarden does NOT sound more like songs like 'Untitled'. He said he was 'going back to his sound from Siamese' didn't he?

We're still waiting...

He means if he would have wrote Siamese as 2010 Billy Corgan :barf:

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Billy is now quoting his own lyrics on his twitter.

billy posted:

BC Lyric: "I need you more than you need you"

He also lets everyone know who made it up with "BC Lyric:"

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Von Dozier posted:

Billy is now quoting his own lyrics on his twitter.

He also lets everyone know who made it up with "BC Lyric:"

BC Lyric: "We all know I'm full of poo poo"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

God knows he's empty and weak, full of piss and vinegar.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Billy should have pitched a reality TV show to document the creation of this album and his slow descent into madness.

"No one likes my new tracks, they're saying I've lost it, BUT I'M A loving HYPER-INFLUENTIAL MEGA-GENIUS!!"
"There there Billy, we can go out and find you a new female bassist if you like? You know how much you like those!?"
"O.... o.k...... :unsmith: Plus later I can post my lyrics on twitter cos they're SOOOOO DEEP EVERYONE WILL LOVE THEM!"
"Um.... maybe that's not such a goo.... nevermind, let's get you that bassist!"
"Yay!"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
BC Lyric: "God is empty, just like me"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BC lyric: May the king of gloom be forever doomed.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
BC Lyric: speak to me in a language i can hear

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
BC Lyric: gently caress You (An Ode From Everyone)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

BC Lyric: Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul, your soul, your soul. Everyone... everyone! Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul, your soul, your soul. Everyone, everyone... everyone..... everyone......... everyone............ YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

BC Solo

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

MUFFlNS posted:

BC Lyric: Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul, your soul, your soul. Everyone... everyone! Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul. Everyone gather among your soul, your soul, your soul. Everyone, everyone... everyone..... everyone......... everyone............ YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

BC Solo

I didn't realize how bad those were until now

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BC Lyric: Welcome to nowhere fast.

Nothing here ever lasts.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
X X X
X X X
11-9 13
X X X
9 -7 11
0 -0 0

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Steve Winwood posted:

X X X
X X X
11-9 13
X X X
9 -7 11
0 -0 0

Perfect.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
BC lyric: I'll be your super queen

Since there have been so many good entries already, I'll through "For Martha" into the ring for a great underrated song.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 26, 2010

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Steve Winwood posted:

X X X
X X X
11-9 13
X X X
9 -7 11
0 -0 0

Bra. loving. Vo.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Steve Winwood posted:

X X X
X X X
11-9 13
X X X
9 -7 11
0 -0 0

nice.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Steve Winwood posted:

X X X
X X X
11-9 13
X X X
9 -7 11
0 -0 0

Okay, I am an idiot... I don't get it :(

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

iamthejeff posted:

Okay, I am an idiot... I don't get it :(

Ah, I wasn't trying to be cryptic - it's basically guitar 101 in the style of Billy Corgan. If you have an acoustic guitar then pluck it out and you'll go 'oh'.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
life's a bummer when you're a hummer

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

e: beaten

I actually really dig the acoustic bit at the end. I remember buying Siamese Dream after I got back from summer vacation. It was the summer of my second year of college. Listening on head phones and they drop off into that clean sound, and I thought "I am going to play this forever."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 27, 2010

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Been following Billy on Twitter for a while, mainly for laughs because its like watching a train wreck. Apparently Billy is a Chemtrail conspiracy nut now too. I'm just trying to figure out what point to imagine the band died in a fiery explosion and ignore everything that happened after that point.

It sucks because you watch that x.y.u. video and see just how much fun they had together.

Edit: VVV the youtube video posted that's either this page or end of last page.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 3, 2010

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What x.y.u video?

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.

shpladoinkle posted:

My Daydream (eh)

Don't make me kill you.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

ChesterJT posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what point to imagine the band died in a fiery explosion and ignore everything that happened after that point.

As a fairly forgiving fan, lover of Zwan, and occasionally his solo album I can safely say that he suffered a debilitating stroke mere hours after Song for a Son was released. It is really tragic that those mercinary musicians that currently call themselves the Smashing Pumpkins are clearly taking whatever material Billy had recorded over the years prior to becoming aphasic and are trying to hammer an album out of poo poo in order to try and make some money. The Corgan that goes on tour is simply his body being used as a marionette while a recording plays, a fate crueller than death.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Steve Winwood posted:

Ah, I wasn't trying to be cryptic - it's basically guitar 101 in the style of Billy Corgan. If you have an acoustic guitar then pluck it out and you'll go 'oh'.

well, I have no idea how to play guitar so it's pretty cryptic to me :)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Space Cadet posted:

As a fairly forgiving fan, lover of Zwan, and occasionally his solo album I can safely say that he suffered a debilitating stroke mere hours after Song for a Son was released. It is really tragic that those mercinary musicians that currently call themselves the Smashing Pumpkins are clearly taking whatever material Billy had recorded over the years prior to becoming aphasic and are trying to hammer an album out of poo poo in order to try and make some money. The Corgan that goes on tour is simply his body being used as a marionette while a recording plays, a fate crueller than death.

The SP on tour is still just as good as ever in my opinion, it's just that for some reason the studio SP is completely different and when they leave the stage they somehow leave all the talent up there too. I mean really, this is all post-Zetigeist material that kicks rear end, Billy still has awesome things in him but it just becomes poo poo when recorded for some reason (or they don't record it at all).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajvG_qUJQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrXd7JkfQpE

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Quite frankly it's not like Billy Corgan's alone here. The whole move to disposable bandmates and lack of quality control has happened to a ton of artists.

It's just a side effect of letting your head get a little bit too big. Every artist should have at least one person willing to tell them when what they're doing sucks.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna put these here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HttyHIfKuc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siCPkx9WL5c

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

ChesterJT posted:

Been following Billy on Twitter for a while, mainly for laughs because its like watching a train wreck. Apparently Billy is a Chemtrail conspiracy nut now too. I'm just trying to figure out what point to imagine the band died in a fiery explosion and ignore everything that happened after that point.

You can follow @pirate_billy instead for added insanity - a little account I made that parrots all of his tweets in pirate-speak.

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001

Vieuphoria was the best, I had it on VHS back in high school.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

Vieuphoria was the best, I had it on VHS back in high school.

Get the DVD, it adds stuff!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
A new tour. On the one hand, I really don't want to shell out $50 to see a bunch of terrible Kaleidyscope songs noodled around with live, but Pumpkins concerts were some of the best I've ever seen. I've got the choice of tampa or orlando, both pretty good venues. Uhhhh what to do, what to do

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Without Chamberlain, this upcoming tour seems very similar to the Waters/Wall thing that is soon to expand across the states. With both, you have an "iconic figure" backed by more or less session musicians willing to play exactly what they're told.

I could accept the departure of D'arcy, since Iha was still around. When Iha left, I was suspcious but checked the album out anyway. Much to my surprise, it was unmemorable with a few extremes of both extremely decent and extremely awful. With none of the originals but Corgan, I'm curious as to what they do in the studio. However, there's just no desire to see them live. They would be a shadow of their former glory.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

TOOT BOOT posted:

Every artist should have at least one person willing to tell them when what they're doing sucks.
Come back, D'arcy!

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

an oddly awful oud posted:

Come back, D'arcy!

She was telling Billy that everything he was recording for Adore sucked poo poo and that the new sound direction was awful. I'm glad that she's gone :colbert:

I do miss Melissa Auf Der Maur though, she fit in so well with the band and I think the Machina lineup was incredible :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot
So I've been listening to a shitload of Pumpkins lately, and I'm pretty sure my favorites go like this

1) Soma
2) Mayonaise
3) Rocket
4) Rhinoceros
5) Eye
6) The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)
7) Thirty-Three

I know alot of people trash Billy's vocals, but I don't think there's anyone who could pull off the dreamy, breathy, spacey vocals that songs like Soma and other songs demand. It wouldn't work with anyone else.

• Locked thread