Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Phat_Albert posted:

rear end hurts

This reminds me of that one scene in Wild Hogs ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Jabs posted:

I found the same thing when I hooked up my iPhone and used some in-ear headphones. Much, MUCH calmer.
Prediction: You'll be juuuust fiiiine - so long as you don't mind sleeping on your side, pillows piled up between your knees and arms and under your head, locked in a full on tuck position.
It'll definitely be the FASTEST sleep you've ever had. =)

I plan on taking lots of short breaks on the ride back from Fort Worth this weekend. Leave it to me to have my first post-MSF ride be 790 miles. On a holiday weekend, no less.

FT. Worth, TEXAS? Jesus christ, dude. Look me up, I'll buy ya a coffee or something.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

PadreScout posted:

FT. Worth, TEXAS? Jesus christ, dude. Look me up, I'll buy ya a coffee or something.
There's more than one? =)

I'm coming in to DFW at just shy of 11pm. Hayden.'s going to meet me at the airport (or at the Centralized Car Rental Facility - we're discussing that now).
Then I'll find someplace to crash for the night - I'm not really keen on the idea of starting an 750-800 mile trip at midnight, on a new bike, after having been up since around 6am. =)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

I'm nervous about the ride from Detroit to Nashville. I put about 2 hours in the saddle yesterday and I'm a little stiff today. WTF am I going to feel like after a full day in the crotch rocket position?
On my first long ride, I just planned out breaks every hour or so to get off and stretch & hydrate. You can also take some ibuprofin before heading out as a preemptive measure. Hell, one Aleve will do you for a day.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Jabs posted:

There's more than one? =)

I'm coming in to DFW at just shy of 11pm. Hayden.'s going to meet me at the airport (or at the Centralized Car Rental Facility - we're discussing that now).
Then I'll find someplace to crash for the night - I'm not really keen on the idea of starting an 750-800 mile trip at midnight, on a new bike, after having been up since around 6am. =)

That's probably a good idea.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Took my new Shadow Spirit 750 on a longer ride than I've done yet today. Half an hour from my town in northern MA to New Hampshire along a pretty quiet state highway. Stopped at a liquor store on the border to enjoy a tax-free pepsi, and then went back the way I came. I'm feeling more confident riding everyday, though I need to learn to lean a little harder on some turns, and I have to keep reminding myself to not hold the handlebars so tight. For now I'm just nodding at other riders because I feel too scared to take a hand off the bar to return the wave!

Still, it was fun to have a nice clear straightaway in front of me and take the bike up to 55mph!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On the topic of leaning into turns: you will jump the first time you scrape a foot peg. It's horrifying and exhilarating at the same time. You can't wait to do it again but you're too scared to try on purpose. Happened to me the first time on a roundabout I used to navigate every day on the way to work.

I don't know if you said it earlier, but did you take a class or anything? I strongly recommend it if you haven't. They'll build confidence and knowledge, and are probably the best way to start off riding. They'll also teach you a lot of low-speed skills, where many many riders are most lacking. Riding 40, 50, 60, or 100mph is easy. Doing a u-turn in a space barely larger than than, say, twice your bike length is significantly less so, but knowing how will serve you well.

Which reminds me, I really need to get out and practice some of that poo poo. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Watch out sigtrap, here's a kill story with plenty of hooligainy posted for kudoz & credz. :c00l:

Was doing nice and comfy but illegal speeds on the higway, just relaxing and being myself u kno. Suddenly a Volvo fills my mirrors and flashes his blue stealth lights. Unmarked patrol car.

They measured me at 116 kph in an 80 zone and thought I deserved a 3 month time out. :( Yup, without license all summer and getting a bit fat fine in the mail, in addition to the one I got a few weeks back.

Speed kills (your thrills, when you get caught).

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Ola posted:

Watch out sigtrap, here's a kill story with plenty of hooligainy posted for kudoz & credz. :c00l:

Was doing nice and comfy but illegal speeds on the higway, just relaxing and being myself u kno. Suddenly a Volvo fills my mirrors and flashes his blue stealth lights. Unmarked patrol car.

They measured me at 116 kph in an 80 zone and thought I deserved a 3 month time out. :( Yup, without license all summer and getting a bit fat fine in the mail, in addition to the one I got a few weeks back.

Speed kills (your thrills, when you get caught).

Wow, they give out license suspensions in Norway for only going ~20 mph over the speed limit (on a highway, no less)?

That's pretty crazy. Do you not have some equivalent to a traffic court where you can challenge that?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I don't think I want to visit Norway in the summer anymore. That's harsh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can definitely challenge it and I definitely won't. The limit for losing your license an 80 zone is 115...1 over the suspension limit, 3 months minimum. The officers were very friendly and informed me how they had measured (avg speed between known points, recorded on video, didn't ask for the clip) me. That measurement is erring safely on the low side, I know I was doing 130+ for some time.

Back to challenging...the only reason I have for challenging is "man this sucks, can you make it un-happen plz". Not going to hold up. They do proper measurements and if they don't have good data you don't get stopped.

But :emo: nonetheless. At least I have time to do up my forks properly and perhaps look into taking the head off and have a look at my oil consumption.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 26, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If baglbeabs* can't ride then I don't want to :(

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ola posted:

I can definitely challenge it and I definitely won't. The limit for losing your license an 80 zone is 115...1 over the suspension limit, 3 months minimum. The officers were very friendly and informed me how they had measured (avg speed between known points, recorded on video, didn't ask for the clip) me. That measurement is erring safely on the low side, I know I was doing 130+ for some time.

Back to challenging...the only reason I have for challenging is "man this sucks, can you make it un-happen plz". Not going to hold up. They do proper measurements and if they don't have good data you don't get stopped.

But :emo: nonetheless. At least I have time to do up my forks properly and perhaps look into taking the head off and have a look at my oil consumption.

Is it going to make it worse if you challenge it, and lose? I ended up in a kinda similar situation in the US, and realized that I had literally nothing to lose if I fought the ticket. I did, and got it reduced. If your choice is take a chance on the officers not showing up to court, or sit on your rear end for 3 months, I'd roll the dice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pagan posted:

If your choice is take a chance on the officers not showing up to court, or sit on your rear end for 3 months, I'd roll the dice.

Doesn't work like that over here, and frankly it's kind of weird how it works with you guys. If the particular officer doesn't show up for the particular case it gets thrown out...but it's not like he has a personal gripe with your speeding.

Anyway, over here you can choose to accept it on the spot or say you will challenge it. If you challenge it they submit their evidence (in this case video tape) and file a formal charge against you. I don't know how that is processed, but you won't get a more severe punishment, it's pretty much written in stone.

They have me by the thin and curlies, the video tape will probably show 130-135 instantaneous radar readings. So while it sucks, it could have been worse. Lose the license for 6 or more months, you need to pass your driver's test again...

So yeah, back on the road in August. Will probably cancel my Iceland trip (volcano is petering out anyway) and visit northern Norway.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Isn't the national speed limit in Norway 50mph?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ola, how close was the Volvo? If it's an average speed between known points I'm assuming he tailed you for a while, unless a plane got you or something. Our ghost cars here are pretty easy to spot, minus a couple exceptions like the Goddamn Pickup Truck - but the one time I got tagged by one (in my car) he was right up on my rear bumper when I was being a dipshit. If yours was able to hang way back it might not have felt so suspicious?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ranathari posted:

Isn't the national speed limit in Norway 50mph?

Sort of. Traffic law says speed limits are 50 kph (30-ish mph) in built up areas and 80 kph (50-ish mph) outside, unless otherwise specified by signs. And it usually is. I was caught in an 80 kph doing 116 kph.

Phy posted:

Ola, how close was the Volvo? If it's an average speed between known points I'm assuming he tailed you for a while, unless a plane got you or something. Our ghost cars here are pretty easy to spot, minus a couple exceptions like the Goddamn Pickup Truck - but the one time I got tagged by one (in my car) he was right up on my rear bumper when I was being a dipshit. If yours was able to hang way back it might not have felt so suspicious?

He was probably hanging back to get the reading, then drew up real close to flash me. If I had paid proper attention in the mirrors, I should have seen him. Expensive lesson learned.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Meh, I think it's the U.S. that's insane with its leniency toward motorists. It's basically considered a matter of right to operate a several ton steel machine going at high speeds.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I can definitely challenge it and I definitely won't. The limit for losing your license an 80 zone is 115...1 over the suspension limit, 3 months minimum.

3 months until another boot shot? :(

It's weird that you have such exhaustive driver's training, and yet the speed limits are so strictly low. Norway's looking less cool these days :(

How would they deal with tickets like that for foreign folks who were riding on their roads? Out here, chances are you'll get off with a warning because it's a bitch to prosecute and the cop won't want to fill out all the paperwork to get you nailed. Not to mention that it's almost going to be more expensive to get you to pay out then it will make in revenue, so it's really not worth their time.

(Because speeding enforcement out here isn't about safety, it's about revenue)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

It's weird that you have such exhaustive driver's training, and yet the speed limits are so strictly low.

I guess both work together to give us almost 3 times fewer traffic deaths per capita compared to the US. :v:

Also, this is a typical intercity highway:

As for foreigners, I'm not sure. I know there's been articles about how tourists rarely pay their fines as there aren't any legal mechanisms to get money out of foreigners, but I don't know if they can take your license on the spot as well.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

What do those signs mean...? They look like "No Cars" to me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eviljelly posted:

What do those signs mean...? They look like "No Cars" to me.

You drive at 82 kph?! NO CAR FOR YOU

It means "end of highway class B", I suppose the symbol is not very descriptive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I guess both work together to give us almost 3 times fewer traffic deaths per capita compared to the US. :v:

Also, this is a typical intercity highway:

As for foreigners, I'm not sure. I know there's been articles about how tourists rarely pay their fines as there aren't any legal mechanisms to get money out of foreigners, but I don't know if they can take your license on the spot as well.

I think that driver's training, period, would give you drat near 3 times fewer traffic deaths per capita. God, it's insane how bad so many of the drivers are. Santa Barbara is actually some kind of bizarre haven for decent driving, the bay/LA/San Diego are all absolutely horrible.

I suppose you can't get away with jabbering at them in english and relying on the language to confuse them...:v:

Of course in the US there's also a small chance of you getting some retard cop who will draw on you for being a towelhead or some bullshit like that. Welcome to america! :911:

I think the solution to your exile should be to come out here and ride fast motorcycles. They can take your license but they can never take your freedom to travel to america and ride like an idiot with minimal consequences! :haw:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Pro tip: Do not ride while food poisoned. I accelerated really hard and nearly shat all over my seat.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Pro tip: Do not ride while food poisoned. I accelerated really hard and nearly shat all over my seat.

GBS is that way, sir!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

I think the solution to your exile should be to come out here and ride fast motorcycles. They can take your license but they can never take your freedom to travel to america and ride like an idiot with minimal consequences! :haw:

They'll never find me west of the Mississippi. :clint:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
drat these stupid Michigan roads. I'm getting more comfortable on my bike and I've been increasing my lean angle. This morning I took one the curves around the Chrysler complex at 55 MPH. I forgot that a section is a mess of asphalt patches. It scared the crap out of me when the bike started bouncing like crazy. At least I was smart enough to not decrease my speed or else I'd be heading into the median.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Yay, I passed my exam! Now I get to wait five working days so the government has enough opportunity to print a plastic pink card with my name on it. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A colleague of mine did 158 kph in a 100 zone a couple of mil (not miles) north of Oslo. $1400 ticket and a two years suspended sentence (worth 19 days in jail). Hail Satan!

I can see why Norwegian bikers come to Sweden to let off some steam.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack the Smack posted:

Thanks for doing it on your keyboard instead :waycool:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Thanks for doing it on your keyboard instead :waycool:

:drat:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat, Ola, that sucks, but you take yer chances, etc.

Yesterday I was out for a grocery run, and waiting to turn right into a parking spot with my blinker on. The driver vacated her spot, and right away some fucker drives through the empty spot on the other side of the line into the one I was waiting for. I sat there with my blinker on, trying to give him the evil eye through my tinted visor, and he just looked straight ahead, parked, and got out.

However I got to give the mesh jacket a bit of a workout, and it's a keeper! Not going to be sweating through the leather this summer. :dance:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

However I got to give the mesh jacket a bit of a workout, and it's a keeper! Not going to be sweating through the leather this summer. :dance:

Finally after two years I feel like less of a fool for buying a mesh jacket while living in Ontario.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Back on two-wheels! Bought myself a 1998 GS500. I miss my SV650S but I'm sure I can make the suspension on this thing a little more confidence inspiring. It's pretty stock, came with a R6 shock that you really can't feel all that much (same with the SV650 rear shock replacement) .

Thinking of turning it into a cafe-racer or a street-fighter, not sure what the correct path is but god-drat is it good to be riding again.

edit- gently caress, I lost my avatar in the ban :(

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

They'll never find me west of the Mississippi. :clint:

It's a mighty big desert out there.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Morphix posted:

Back on two-wheels! Bought myself a 1998 GS500. I miss my SV650S but I'm sure I can make the suspension on this thing a little more confidence inspiring. It's pretty stock, came with a R6 shock that you really can't feel all that much (same with the SV650 rear shock replacement) .

Thinking of turning it into a cafe-racer or a street-fighter, not sure what the correct path is but god-drat is it good to be riding again.

edit- gently caress, I lost my avatar in the ban :(

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

More aggressive handlebars and repaint your exhaust?
I have a GS500 too but I bought mine in depressing shape and ended up just blacking it all out in flat black and bedliner. Not that you have to do that, but mine needed paint EVERYWHERE to even make it look acceptable.

What kind of exhaust slipon is that?

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 27, 2010

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

BotchedLobotomy posted:

More aggressive handlebars and repaint your exhaust?
I have a GS500 too but I bought mine in depressing shape and ended up just blacking it all out in flat black and bedliner. Not that you have to do that, but mine needed paint EVERYWHERE to even make it look acceptable.

What kind of exhaust slipon is that?

Micron 400 something. The pink letters we're completely faded so I took some sandpaper and steelwool to it for the time being.

My GS needs some TLC for sure, I feel like I need too go over major bolts, make sure they're all tightened down and possible re-run the electrical. But at that point, if I'm stripping it, I'll add the steel brake/clutch lines (needed badly, I had forgotten how poopy rubber lines are) and do the painting/make-over.

I don't want to make the bike too flashy though, as I'm not trying to attract thieves/cops. I was thinking a white/black theme with the silver frame might work, but I'm worried I'd have to end up painting the frame anyway. Probably good just to load the image into photoshop and play around.

What year is your GS? Have you had any issues with it?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Mine's a '92 and it was a full on junker when I got it. I only paid 700 for it so I'm not really a good case study on how well GS500s normally fare. A lot was wrong with it. v:shobon:v
It's definitely a trooper though. It runs in the most horrible states of condition. A coil burned out and Z3n and babyhitler got it running using a car coil from a old FIAT at a goonmeet so I could get it home.

This isn't how it looked when I bought it, it was much more disgusting but that's petty close to its virgin state. (Minus seat)

It looks like this now, but the headlight bucket is now painted and I'm going to switch out the turn signals with something smaller.
While its still a GS500 I can pretend its some sleeper bike no can identify. :haw:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would consider this story absolute bullshit if I didn't know the person well, but a friend of mine was pulled for doing 125 in Mesa last weekend. The cop walked up to her and said if she could tell him who Reg Pridmore was she would get a warning. Well, she knew who he was because she had done his class not too long ago.
Yep, she got off of a 125 in a 65 ticket with a warning. I'm sure it didn't hurt that she was a cute girl riding a Tuono rather than some dude in a tank top on a Gixxer but still. Luck is not the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I didn't do anything to my Buell today, but i did get my dad's ST1100 in my shop this evening.

It's been sitting for about two years, he never put sta-bil in it. Much less put a trickle charger on it. So dead battery and gummed up carbs. I took all the plastic off and pulled the carbs. 3 of the 4 main jets were totally plugged. 2 of the emulsion tubes were sludged up, the pilot jets weren't any better.

Two cans of carb cleaner and some seafoam later she's back together and road worthy.

He's going to come pick it up tomorrow afternoon and we're gonna go for a ride.