Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You would be thinking of the final duel in Sanjuro. It's absurdly over top in the same way that the finale of Throne of Blood is utterly ridiculous.

Oh yeah that's right, I see it clearly now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvaGe9iqO0U

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like he had a bunch of Capri Suns strapped to him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Lone Wolf and Cub movies also really took the climactic blood-spray in Sanjuro and just ran with it. They were decently big crossover movies too, I was under the impression they popularized the 'ridiculous-blood-spray' thing among American audiences at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSsSxo2V8SI

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The Lone Wolf and Cub movies also really took the climactic blood-spray in Sanjuro and just ran with it. They were decently big crossover movies too, I was under the impression they popularized the 'ridiculous-blood-spray' thing among American audiences at least.
I think the whole arterial spray visual aesthetic for violence first saw currency in American film with Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969), which in turn owed a lot to the depiction of violence in Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde (1967).

And in terms of gratuitous blood with your chopsocky, most Americans got into that via Hong Kong action films in the '70s more than by anything exported from Japan. The baby cart films and---I think more notoriously---the Sonny Chiba Street Fighter films were definitely over-the-top violent and saw some play in the US, but I think that kind of violence really got mainstream traction on American screens when Hong Kong kick flicks became `mainstream underground' successful. You know, they didn't exactly become `mainstream' in the way that the latest big-budget Hollywood films were, but everybody saw a couple of them.

The development of this sort of violence in Hong Kong films owes a lot to the Japanese films we've been talking about. Hong Kong didn't have much of a home-grown film industry until the mid to late '60s. Most of what was produced were screen versions of Chinese opera and costume historical dramas. Martial arts epics were certainly part of this, but it wasn't until films like Da Zui Xia/Come Drink With Me (1966) that you see something like wuxia (with crazy wire-fu and a lot of footwork and fighting but mostly bloodless) in its recognisable, modern form. Hong Kong films up to this point were seldom seen outside Hong Kong itself.

Then in 1967 Chang Cheh made Dubei Dao/The One-Armed Swordsman with Jimmy Yu Wang starring. It was the first major success for Shaw Brothers outside Hong Kong, and it proved hugely influential on the structure, themes, and visual aesthetics of subsequent Hong Kong martial arts films. It (and its sequels) were a lot more overtly violent than the films that preceded it. The reasons for this are complex, but the thing that I'll call out here is that it was produced and released in a period of intense social upheaval in Hong Kong. And whereas earlier martial arts heroes were typically Establishment heroes---good guys working for the local government fighting bandits or whatever---the titular one-armed swordsman was wronged by the Establishment and was taking revenge against authority figures. This is a big subject and I'm not covering it adequately here, but it's interesting to note because subsequent audiences have watched Hong Kong action films of this era mostly as exploitation films---for all the crazy martial arts poo poo---but audiences at the time saw them as fight-the-power populist empowerment.

Anyway, following the huge success of the One-Armed Swordsman films Shaw became a major player, Chang Cheh their major director, and Jimmy Yu Wang a major star. At which point Yu Wang decided he had artistic differences with Shaw, and set off on his own to make the completely artistically different One-Armed Boxer films which totally weren't a ripoff of the One-Armed Swordsman character, the most famous of which being Du Bi Quan Wang Da Po Xue Di Zi/Master of the Flying Guillotine (1975). These were almost pure low-budget chopsocky, with the emphasis definitely being on the lurid aspects of all the violence. This sort of film became a staple for other Hong Kong studios attempting to replicate the success of Shaw---like Golden Harvest, who went on to have great mainstream success in the west.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SubG posted:

I think the whole arterial spray visual aesthetic for violence first saw currency in American film with Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969), which in turn owed a lot to the depiction of violence in Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde (1967).

Ah, perhaps I phrased poorly. I was referring specifically to the arterial blood spray in relation to samurai/swordsman flicks. Otherwise I agree completely.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Inside has the best-looking arterial spray shot ever, hands down.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Throne of Blood was the MacBeth one right? Mifune gets filled with like a hojillion arrows before he dies being the ridiculous bit? Or am I forgetting something?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

anticake posted:

Throne of Blood was the MacBeth one right? Mifune gets filled with like a hojillion arrows before he dies being the ridiculous bit? Or am I forgetting something?

That is correct.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

You would be thinking of the final duel in Sanjuro. It's absurdly over top in the same way that the finale of Throne of Blood is utterly ridiculous.

It's totally out of the blue too. Played for shocks in a film that has previously played itself up for laughs. However, once you get past the initial shock, the blood spray is funny too. I actually consider Sanjuro to be superior to Yojimbo, which is saying a hell of a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Sanjuro more than Yojimbo because I really appreciate the sending up of Mifune's character. Both are great, but I've watched Sanjuro more times just because it's got a much lighter tone.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

MrDingleDangle posted:

here is the scene you are talking about I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-LMZ1dbO7A#t=1m49s

and yes it does seem like he folds a painting that is backed with a wood frame

This reminds of a movie I saw once but can't remember for the life of me. It was a heist movie where they tried to steal the Mona Lisa. They finally get to the Mona Lisa, break the case grab the painting, roll it up and stick it in a wooden tube.

They rolled up the Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa that's painted onto a piece of wood.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I like Sanjuro more than Yojimbo because I really appreciate the sending up of Mifune's character. Both are great, but I've watched Sanjuro more times just because it's got a much lighter tone.
They're both good films, but Yojimbo is one of the best-shot films I've ever seen. It's like a two hour course in visual composition and cinematography.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

KillRoy posted:

This reminds of a movie I saw once but can't remember for the life of me. It was a heist movie where they tried to steal the Mona Lisa. They finally get to the Mona Lisa, break the case grab the painting, roll it up and stick it in a wooden tube.

They rolled up the Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa that's painted onto a piece of wood.

That means they didn't really steal the Mona Lisa and it was safely within the museum's walls. :shobon:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Wasn't there a Mr. Bean 'heist' movie that involved the Mona Lisa? I think I watched it on an airplane so my memory's kind of fuzzy. Plus, it's mr loving bean.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

Wasn't there a Mr. Bean 'heist' movie that involved the Mona Lisa? I think I watched it on an airplane so my memory's kind of fuzzy. Plus, it's mr loving bean.
it was Whistler's Mother and he replaces the original defiled paiting for a plastic replica; now that I think about it's kinda insulting to Americans

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The Mr. Bean movie sequel was an unabashed calling out of Vincent Gallo and The Brown Bunny.

The politics and commentary of the Mr. Bean movies is bizarre to say the least.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Hopefully this belongs here, has anyone seen The Stoning of Soraya M.? It looks like an interesting look at the culture surrounding it but it could easily be terrible. Just looking for general thoughts from anyone who has seen it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

it was Whistler's Mother and he replaces the original defiled paiting for a plastic replica; now that I think about it's kinda insulting to Americans

didn't he used chewed up bubblegum or something like that to attach it to the frame too?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

NeuroticErotica posted:

The Mr. Bean movie sequel was an unabashed calling out of Vincent Gallo and The Brown Bunny.

The politics and commentary of the Mr. Bean movies is bizarre to say the least.

Are you being serious?

BTW is the Brown Bunny worth seeing?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

kapalama posted:

Are you being serious?

100% serious. And it's unmistakable if you know the Brown Bunny cannes stories. The Bean director is "Carson Clay", Gallo's character in Bunny is "Bud Clay" (earlier in Buffalo '66 he played Billy Brown and he likes alliterations and multiples of 11), they made Willem Dafoe kinda look like him. It's weirdly out of place for a kid's film, but I guess it's one of those things that is supposed to keep the adults from falling asleep in.

I think Brown Bunny is an amazing film.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

kapalama posted:

I love The Brown Bunny to death, but it's not for everyone. It's an very powerful and haunting portrait of one man's loneliness and grief. Give it a shot if you're down for that sort of a film journey.

Also, Roger Ebert, who harshly criticized the unfinished Cannes cut, ended up giving the final cut three stars. His review is worth checking out: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040903/REVIEWS/409020301/1023

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I searched around and couldn't find a thread on it, but I came across this :psypop: today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1281870/50-Cent-loses-54-pounds-Things-Fall-Apart-film-role.html

I was hoping somebody had heard something about this they could share, or could direct me to the appropriate thread? The novel is an excellent book and should probably be required reading.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I saw that same picture earlier today, (on dlisted or tmz) gotta say I am impressed that fifty-cent would go to such lengths for a movie role. Taking to Bale approach, I guess. If there hadn't been a caption, I doubt I would have recognised him.
I don't think there is a thread for the movie.

Edit; yeah it was dlisted; http://www.dlisted.com/node?page=1

Barometer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 27, 2010

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

coyo7e posted:

I was hoping somebody had heard something about this they could share, or could direct me to the appropriate thread? The novel is an excellent book and should probably be required reading.

It has nothing to do with the book you're thinking of.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Supposedly he had his tattoos lasered off as well... That's dedication.

esp since his last couple of albums didn't do so well

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

That's a shame, it's a phenomenal novel and one I think that all young people should probably have a chance to read. I was hoping that some literary spark was driving him to do something along the lines of "Roots" for his generation.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It's very often assigned as summer reading and poo poo.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

Yeah, this is something about a football player with cancer.

I was hoping he'd play Okonkwo :(

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

coyo7e posted:

That's a shame, it's a phenomenal novel and one I think that all young people should probably have a chance to read. I was hoping that some literary spark was driving him to do something along the lines of "Roots" for his generation.

Yeah I read that book this year and loved it. Seeing 50 play Okonkwo would be fascinating to say the least.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I believe the lead actor in the great film Most High lost around 100 pounds for his role, which beats both 50 Cent and Christian Bale in the lead-role weight loss category. Course that was a serious drat movie.

I'm also sad it's not a movie about the book :(

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Do German actors dislike or avoid taking roles as Nazis? It seems to me like German actors, at some point, take a role as a Nazi in some American film because the German film industry just isn't very big...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
it's not like there's countless movies about nazis being made in the US... I don't think that's much of an issue

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Do German actors dislike or avoid taking roles as Nazis? It seems to me like German actors, at some point, take a role as a Nazi in some American film because the German film industry just isn't very big...

If you're an actor, unless your a select few, you take what you can get.

Mmbra
Mar 19, 2010
Here is something thats been bugging me. My dad used to rent this sci-fi/horror movie when i was a kid and i can't remember the name of it. It came out around 90 ish would be my guess and i think it was a series of movies. It was about this tiny gunslinger guy, he was like a foot tall in our world, but he had this shotgun that would take out huge chunks of fools. His arch-enemy was a decapitated head that hovered around using some scientifical gizmo. The gunslinger may also have been a time/inter-dimentional traveler.

Thats about all i can remember about them. can anyone help me out?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Mmbra posted:

Here is something thats been bugging me. My dad used to rent this sci-fi/horror movie when i was a kid and i can't remember the name of it. It came out around 90 ish would be my guess and i think it was a series of movies. It was about this tiny gunslinger guy, he was like a foot tall in our world, but he had this shotgun that would take out huge chunks of fools. His arch-enemy was a decapitated head that hovered around using some scientifical gizmo. The gunslinger may also have been a time/inter-dimentional traveler.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Mmbra posted:

Yeah this is better suited for the 'Identify a Movie for Me' thread.

P.S. The movie you're talking about is totally called Dollman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollman_%28film%29
I swear that or one of the Trancers movies used to be on cable like every night back in the day.

Mmbra
Mar 19, 2010
awesome thats totally it. mucho appreciation.

2xSlick
Feb 9, 2010

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

The actor how played Col. Klink was a German-born Jew who's family escaped from Germany during World War 2. I've heard he agreed to do the show as long as Klink never had a plan that succeeded.

The thing is, there aren't many German actors. Most of the time, they just grab any old European to play a Nazi. Hell Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark was British. In fact, I think most Hollywood Nazis are played by the British.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

2xSlick posted:

The actor how played Col. Klink was a German-born Jew who's family escaped from Germany during World War 2. I've heard he agreed to do the show as long as Klink never had a plan that succeeded.

The thing is, there aren't many German actors. Most of the time, they just grab any old European to play a Nazi. Hell Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark was British. In fact, I think most Hollywood Nazis are played by the British.

In all fairness, they offered that role to Klaus Kinski first, but he turned it down because he thought the movie was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

In all fairness, they offered that role to Klaus Kinski first, but he turned it down because he thought the movie was stupid.
As great as Raiders of the Lost Ark is, it would be 100x more awesome if it starred Klaus Kinski as the villain and was directed by Werner Herzog.

Sorry, Spielberg, but it's true.

Indiana Jones and the Port of Call, New Orleans Indiana Jones and der Zorn Gottes