Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

House of 1000 Corpses

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This movie has to be the most boring piece of crap ever put on film. It has taught me that Rob Zombie not only fails at music, but also fails spectacularly at movie making also.

I think I'm the only person who couldn't get into "Let the right one in". A pet peeve about children in movies for me. Are kids dicks? Yeah, totally. But are they as cruel as they are depicted in these movies? Not really =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JammyLammy posted:

This movie has to be the most boring piece of crap ever put on film. It has taught me that Rob Zombie not only fails at music, but also fails spectacularly at movie making also.

Anything by White Zombie, and The Devil's Rejects owns.

HO1KC, his solo stuff, and the Halloween movies aren't exactly good, though.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

JammyLammy posted:

I think I'm the only person who couldn't get into "Let the right one in". A pet peeve about children in movies for me. Are kids dicks? Yeah, totally. But are they as cruel as they are depicted in these movies? Not really =/
So you speak for every child ever?

I can verify the cruelty on display in Let the Right One In can be real for some children.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

So you speak for every child ever?

Yes :downs:

quote:

I can verify the cruelty on display in Let the Right One In can be real for some children.

I will just have to take your word for it, I guess. All I got to go on is when I was a kid myself. Sure kids were terrible at times, but it was the usual selfish behavior, not bordering on evil almost sociopathic levels though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JammyLammy posted:

I didn't really like it all that much either, but for different reasons. It just felt to me like a sub-par version of the same wistful, childlike fairy-tale horror that Guillermo Del Toro had already perfected with The Devil's Backbone, Cronos, and Pan's Labyrinth. Same reason I couldn't really get into The Orphanage.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Whispering Machines posted:

No idea how the movie will turn out, but I LOVE this poster. The trailer looked like Emily Rose x REC.

gently caress that looks awesome. I had no idea about this, I think Eli Roth can pull it off. He's hit-or-miss with me, but his hits are really good in my opinion.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

JammyLammy posted:

I actually agree with you on both of these. I think all of Rob's movies are loving pathetic and Let The Right One In didn't do a thing for me but not for the reason you mentioned.

Anyway, what ever happened to that movie about the guy with cancer who sets up cameras in his house? It looked really scary and was getting some press around when Paranormal Activity got big and then...nothing?

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The Devil's Rejects owns.

So I've heard from many people. It apparently makes up for 1000 Corpses, I might give it one more shot if it shows up on Instant Queue.

The problem with 1000 is in love to much with his "style". So many useless camera shots that do nothing but be masturbation material for a bunch of hot-topic goths.

edit: Concerning, Let the Right one in I can see why people like it. It had a good story in it, acting was good, etc. I just couldn't get into it, but thats more of a me problem then the movie though. As oppose to 1000 which just sucked.

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 26, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

gently caress that looks awesome. I had no idea about this, I think Eli Roth can pull it off. He's hit-or-miss with me, but his hits are really good in my opinion.

I saw the trailer on yahoo movies, and while it sounds cool (and is based in my state!), the only "creepy" things to it seem to be this girl and a fetish for cracking bones.

Seriously, all the DEMONIC HELL FORCES OF EVIL can seem to do is make a girl look creepy and, going from the trailer, break her own fingers and misc other bones.

I kinda thought it might be something like "cause someone to explode" or at least get major gas or something, not just "Yep, there goes a finger."

Maybe the next trailer will be spooky?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I think it's interesting that both Rob Zombie's films and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 are being disparaged at the same time.

Why?

Because I believe that Rob Zombie has spent the majority of his directorial career attempting to recreate The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. The themes (people in peril from a family of rednecks), the directorial style (garish and rock-video-esque), the over the top, almost cartoon like violence (see the aforementioned scenes with Dennis Hopper), drug crazed characters, and even some of the actors (Bill Moseley) -- it's all there. Watch TCM2 and HO1TC as a double feature sometime and I think you'll be struck by the parallels in style.

Memories ...

I remember going to TCM2 when it was first released in theatres and loved it. Sure, it has a weird vibe (which Rob Zombie is clearly obsessed with), but at least it's its own film. I can see how it's been sort of lost now considering that it's no masterpiece and will always pale in the shadow of its predecessor, but it's a really underrated film in my books. I was really excited when "The Gruesome Edition" DVD showed up a couple of years ago.

Oh and if you want a crappy TCM, go no further than Leatherface. Now there was some garbage. Even though it had BMK's main man in it, there was no saving that film. Oh and yes, I know all about the Matthew McConaughey TCM film from the 90s, but nobody actually saw it anyway and I don't even count that one.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh and if you want a crappy TCM, go no further than Leatherface. Now there was some garbage. Even though it had BMK's main man in it, there was no saving that film. Oh and yes, I know all about the Matthew McConaughey TCM film from the 90s, but nobody actually saw it anyway and I don't even count that one.

I met the guy who played Leatherface in Leatherface when he came to sign autographs at the Haunted House Festival I work at in October. I was like "Which TCM were you in?" and he told me "Leatherface! The third one!"

I actually looked at him "Oh, the one that no one likes?" and he just glared at me, then started laughing as if to say "Yeah, man. it blows" Otherwise He was as cool dude. Too bad about the movie though.

I've met quite a few horror celebs through my working, and he was probably the nicest. Worst? The guy who played Michale Myers in the, oh, 30 seconds or so that he has his mask off in the original Halloween. What a douche. "I'm the ORIGINAL Michael Myers, man!"

Violator
May 15, 2003

InfiniteZero posted:

Memories ...

I remember going to TCM2 when it was first released in theatres and loved it.

The first time I saw it was when I was about five and my sister kept switching the channel to TCM2 on Showtime while I was watching Pee Wee's Playhouse early one saturday morning. I scream, she'd switch back to Pee Wee for five minutes, and repeat. I'll never forget the 12 foot chainsaw highway scene. :(

I think you're right that Zombie has been distinctly inspired by the film.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QPZIL posted:

Eli Roth has been nothing but miss for me but gently caress if that poster doesn't look good enough to make me wanna go see this. Who knows, maybe Eli has learned how to not poo poo up a movie by now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
You all know that Eli isn't directing the movie, right? Last Exorcist is something he used his name to help the filmmaker get it made, essentially.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, I liked Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, too.

I don't know, I just got a huge soft spot for that entire franchise, even The Next Generation which gave us an incredibly over-the-top batshit insane Matthew McConaughey.

And I don't care what anyone says, to me Rob Zombie is a perfect 5 for 5 in his directing career.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh and yes, I know all about the Matthew McConaughey TCM film from the 90s, but nobody actually saw it anyway and I don't even count that one.

Unfortunately, I saw it when it was first released on VHS. What is unfortunate about it, is that I never saw any other ones before this one, so it has screwed up my perception of the series. I have seen the movies in weird order. Next Generation, then TCM 2, then TCM 3, then the remake of the original, then TCM: The Beginning.

:psyduck:

And yes, the perfect comparison for HoTC and Devils Reject's is Leatherface and his family.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

D

Hockles posted:

Unfortunately, I saw it when it was first released on VHS. What is unfortunate about it, is that I never saw any other ones before this one, so it has screwed up my perception of the series. I have seen the movies in weird order. Next Generation, then TCM 2, then TCM 3, then the remake of the original, then TCM: The Beginning.

:psyduck:

And yes, the perfect comparison for HoTC and Devils Reject's is Leatherface and his family.

So you've never seen the original itself?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

ClydeUmney posted:

So you've never seen the original itself?

Nope. I know, I know.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008
Do any of you goons think that the upcoming Splice looks just like a remake of Species?

Has anybody heard or seen anything that makes it worth watching beyond mere popcorn movie value?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn Netflix Instant Watch can be hit or miss when blind watching a movie. Me and my roommate finish watching Warlock (AWESOME 80s movie about a warlock from the 16th century traveling to modern times to look for Satan's bible which has the name of God that, if spoken backwards aloud, will undo creation and the witch hunter who is after him). Great movie which I've seen a million billion times (the scene with the gypsy still weirds me out) and my roommate never seen it, and he enjoyed it.

Then we watch Zombie Death House which I've never seen, but it's directed by John Saxon and it's called motherfucking ZOMBIE DEATH HOUSE, how can it not be anything but awesome?

Here's exactly how it can be anything but awesome.

No zombies in the first half hour of the movie.

Ugly as poo poo lead actor who, surprise! Can't act!

When the zombies do show up, they're about as useless as a crappy as the ones from Nightmare City or Hell of the Living Dead.

John Saxon's barely in it (maybe he was too busy directing... no wait, the directing is ABSOLUTELY poo poo. Maybe he was too busy doing blow or whatever).

The story itself is a guy who drives for this mob boss is framed for a crime he didn't commit and sent to prison where John Saxon is creating super soldiers which end up becoming zombies and killing everyone. Easy enough, yes? Well, the first half hour of the movie is about nothing but these mob guys which has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH THE MOVIE once it moves to the prison story. Then zombies wreck poo poo up, kinda (they never really show the all-out zombie takeover, it's pretty much implied by empty corridors and crappy actors pretending to be scared about zombies). Then the solution to the zombie plague is even more retarded let's drink this antidote that I have in my lab which I completely forgot about! It's just godawful.

Now I know why I've never seen or heard about this movie before.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

IceNiner posted:

Do any of you goons think that the upcoming Splice looks just like a remake of Species?

Has anybody heard or seen anything that makes it worth watching beyond mere popcorn movie value?

It has 9 reviews on rottentomatoes and 8 of them are fresh, im sure the ratio will drop quite a bit but thats a pretty good sign.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

ruddiger posted:

Goddamn Netflix Instant Watch can be hit or miss when blind watching a movie. Me and my roommate finish watching Warlock (AWESOME 80s movie about a warlock from the 16th century traveling to modern times to look for Satan's bible which has the name of God that, if spoken backwards aloud, will undo creation and the witch hunter who is after him). Great movie which I've seen a million billion times (the scene with the gypsy still weirds me out) and my roommate never seen it, and he enjoyed it.

Is that the one where the guy wants another guy's ring so he bites his finger off. Because when I was little that scene :11tea::supaburn:WRECKED MY poo poo:byodood::siren:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

IceNiner posted:

For what it's worth, some of the shot composition in the trailer sold me on seeing it. Looks like it'll be a very pretty movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

IceNiner posted:

Yes and no. The commercials absolutely make it look like Species with no hot naked chick but I saw an extended preview before MacGruber and it looked way more interesting than anything else I'd seen had made it out to be. Looked to be way more than just "monster breaks loose, kills some people."

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

weekly font posted:

Yes and no. The commercials absolutely make it look like Species with no hot naked chick but I saw an extended preview before MacGruber and it looked way more interesting than anything else I'd seen had made it out to be. Looked to be way more than just "monster breaks loose, kills some people."

I read somewhere (might've very well been this thread) that the original trailer only contains scenes from the first half of the movie. So yeah, there may be more to it than would appear at first.

Also, Guillermo del Toro is involved (as one of five executive producers, but still), which is good sign.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

...but has anyone seen Deadgirl or Splinter?

Splinter was fun.

JammyLammy posted:

I thought it was well made, if a little slow, but I couldn't relate to any of the characters and didn't enjoy it.

Also, I hate 1000 Corpses, it was stinking pile but Devil's Rejects is the poo poo. (And yes, I'm aware I used turds in two metaphors with opposite meanings)

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 27, 2010

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

From Earth posted:

I read somewhere (might've very well been this thread) that the original trailer only contains scenes from the first half of the movie. So yeah, there may be more to it than would appear at first.

Also, Guillermo del Toro is involved (as one of five executive producers, but still), which is good sign.

The trailer only shows things from the first act. Definitely changed my opinion. Read this: http://horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com/2010/05/splice.html minor minor spoilers

third edit I'll just quote this part of the review:

quote:

I think it’s kind of important to let folks know that the film is much different than they might expect (while not going into details why). Based on the trailers, you might be fooled into thinking that Splice is a Species knockoff, with a monster being created by well-meaning scientists, escaping, and being tracked down by the folks who created her. But that’s not what the movie is - it’s much more original and interesting than that.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 is a movie I loved as a kid and still do, I ain't ashamed!

Same here. I put it in the group of 'Movies with a child protagonist that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid but now I love to watch for nostalgia' which also includes The Gate and Invaders from Mars.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

penismightier posted:

Is that the one where the guy wants another guy's ring so he bites his finger off. Because when I was little that scene :11tea::supaburn:WRECKED MY poo poo:byodood::siren:

yup, that's it, but you have a few of the details mixed up he cuts off the guy's finger with a kitchen knife to get the ring, then he grabs him by the head and bites his tongue off and spits it on a frying pan.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

yup, that's it, but you have a few of the details mixed up he cuts off the guy's finger with a kitchen knife to get the ring, then he grabs him by the head and bites his tongue off and spits it on a frying pan.

Warlock you say? I'm gonna have to check this out.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You all know that Eli isn't directing the movie, right? Last Exorcist is something he used his name to help the filmmaker get it made, essentially.

Oh you're right. That would explain why it actually looks like some one with talent directed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9hY16Yg9M

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~

wormil posted:

I thought it was well made, if a little slow, but I couldn't relate to any of the characters and didn't enjoy it.

Also, I hate 1000 Corpses, it was stinking pile but Devil's Rejects is the poo poo. (And yes, I'm aware I used turds in two metaphors with opposite meanings)

I agree with all this.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The only reason I haven't completely disavowed Ho1KC is because of the opening 15 minutes of Captain Spaulding. He's a fantastic character in that film with a great sense of menace and some fun B-movie hillbilly dialogue. Even the version of the character in the far superior Devil's Rejects isn't nearly as good. The only other thing that almost approaches interesting in House was the sequence that ends with Otis going "I hope you like what you see" which is structured in a great meta way. Had it been said by a really great and evil character it would have been a weighty comment on watching exploitative horror films.

But unfortunately those two things are encased in a not good film. If only I could find a way to integrate them in a personal edit of TDR I would but they're too different in tone between them to work.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder if the mythical "directors cut" of Ho1KC was any better. I think Zombie finally said it was never going to see the light of day because he doesn't feel like dealing with the movie anymore, but I wonder if it made the movie decent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Volume posted:

Warlock you say? I'm gonna have to check this out.

You should. It's one of the few of that weird breed of post-Nightmare On Elm Street-late-80s/early-90s-supernatural-slasher(but not really)-films that actually holds up. It's cheesy as poo poo, but fairly well acted and with some remarkably disturbing moments/implications.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

You should. It's one of the few of that weird breed of post-Nightmare On Elm Street-late-80s/early-90s-supernatural-slasher(but not really)-films that actually holds up. It's cheesy as poo poo, but fairly well acted and with some remarkably disturbing moments/implications.

I remember renting Warlock: The Armageddon on VHS when I was a kid. I'd never seen the original but I thought it was pretty cool. They even made a game out of it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Who checked out the new horror movie terrorfying audiences this weekend?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Don't know if they're still up on instant, but has anyone seen Deadgirl or Splinter? Splinter was more B-movie killer creature, Deadgirl was incredibly hosed up and icky.
Deadgirl was an interesting one actually. Loss/denial of humanity isn't a very original theme for a zombie movie, but this one takes it into a new and uncomfortable territory, making some nasty observations about masculinity and men's attitude towards women along the way. I guess the movie's easy to dismiss because it's so depraved, but its depravity serves a purpose, and there's a lot of symbolism going on in those scenes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dead Girl was utter crap.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Dead Girl was utter crap.
I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker