Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FISHMANPET posted:

My coworker has a Mac and keeps a pretty clean desk. He has ADD so he get's very easily distracted. My desk at is completely covered in a 4 inch layer of papers and other "stuff." I've got pens in a pen holder and a stapler and things like that. Maybe if I literally never interacted with any paper ever I could keep a clean desk, but that doesn't sound very fun. My computer desktop is also half full of icons because I don't care enough to clean it off. Spending the mental energy to sift and sort through that kind of stuff is usually pretty low on my priority list.

I'd lose my poo poo sitting at your desk. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FISHMANPET posted:

Seriously, only one of those pics on the first two pages is a non-mac, and that's just a Dell monitor they probably had laying around the studio for the product demo. I've always said that an empty desk is a sign of an empty mind. What is it with Mac people?

I could make an argument relating Mac ownership and OCD, but that might be a bit reactionary. I'd say that 'empty mind' is a bit of a stretch, I suppose from the perspective that if someone's desk is spotless perhaps they've spent too much time focusing on cleaning and not enough on their work? I'd argue the opposite, that if my desk isn't clean, I cant focus on the task as hand. Regardless I think you are a bit shortsighted.

Or, some people are just cleaner than others.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Thirteenth Step posted:

I just had a bit of a shift around. I moved the speakers above the monitor to free up some desk space, they look like poo poo up there but they sound great and that's all I care about really. I know they're not exactly in the middle in relation to the monitor. What happened was I mounted the monitor first and then when I came to mount the speakers I had to mount them on the beams in the wall, as it turns out the monitor I randomly mounted was nearly exactly half way between the two beams, so im happy with the way it turned out.

Got a new mouse, a new (got myself a...) mouse pad and got rid of a horrible shelf unit thing my machine was on before.

It's a much nicer place to be, if only I had done this before my Uni work was in.

:negative:

I use that same audio system for my home theater. Pretty nice sound for an old 2.0 shelf system.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Danger Kick posted:

I noticed that at least two other people have the same chair as me.

4:3 forever
That's 5:4, bud.

Also, what's with the house thing? I see lego people, is it made of lego?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

frogbs posted:

I suppose from the perspective that if someone's desk is spotless perhaps they've spent too much time focusing on cleaning and not enough on their work?

This. I've got more important stuff to do than OCD clean my desk. I just find it strange that the only ones with literally nothing are the Mac users.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably 90% of the people who post their photos likely spent 20 minutes picking up and organizing before they took a nonchalant photo of their workspace.

I know I did, I'm willing to bet most people with spotless desks do it to a point.

AcidRoot
Apr 15, 2010

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. Anyway I'm moving this week so this will all change!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Probably 90% of the people who post their photos likely spent 20 minutes picking up and organizing before they took a nonchalant photo of their workspace.

I know I did, I'm willing to bet most people with spotless desks do it to a point.

My desk is for nothing but monitors, mice and keyboards, so I won't put anything else on it, and therefore it never gets cluttered.

Admittedly, it's a very small desk, and only just fits the aforementioned items, but I like to think I'd keep up my policy if I got a larger desk :ohdear:

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..

Erwin posted:

That's 5:4, bud.

Also, what's with the house thing? I see lego people, is it made of lego?

It's 1600*1200 and 16 inches by 12 inches. It's 4:3

Yeah, that's made of Lego.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

FISHMANPET posted:

This. I've got more important stuff to do than OCD clean my desk. I just find it strange that the only ones with literally nothing are the Mac users.

I can't say my desks are spotless all the time, but hey, I like being clean and organized, and I've never owned a Mac. :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Centipeed posted:

My desk is for nothing but monitors, mice and keyboards, so I won't put anything else on it, and therefore it never gets cluttered.

Admittedly, it's a very small desk, and only just fits the aforementioned items, but I like to think I'd keep up my policy if I got a larger desk :ohdear:

This is also why I specifically look for smaller workspaces. The temptation to clutter would just be too great if I had a wide expanse of space to work with.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Yah, desk OCD for sure. I have a very specific way I handle organizing my work and papers etc. I also micromanage my finances to the point I can tell you how much I spent on the first tuesday of march two years ago and what on. I cannot function at my desk if it is cluttered. Clutter while working? Fine, but that poo poo has to be gone by the next day.

edit: Also in my experience mac users are photo nuts. They are not going to take a photo of their desk with papers all over it. It doesn't fit into their personal image of their workspace.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FISHMANPET posted:

Buddy, if you had seen my dorm desk during the latter half of the semester, you would have been shocked. I'm talking about a good three inch mound of crap all over the place- and I have a macbook.

I think most people with a sense of responsibility and shame would make at least some effort to clean up before putting a picture of their Sanctum Sanctorium on the internet. I know some nerds out there love to take pride in showing off how "busy"(sloppy) they are but it's a habit you should grow out of past college- especially since it's really easy to fall into wherever you work (if you clutter at home, you'll clutter at work). A dirty workspace makes you look immature, disorganized, and unprofessional. Also, yes: many mac users do pay at least some attention to aesthetics.

I've got nothing to take a picture of at the moment, since I just moved out for the summer and will be subletting an apartment until September and I don't have a desk. Maybe a futon-as-workstation pic will be up soon.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

A messy mac desk taken with a lovely cell camera.

patty
Nov 24, 2008

by angerbot
Here is a horribly messy picture of my horribly messy little world. :)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FISHMANPET posted:

My desk is very clean and it's only because I'm not a filthy sloth. I can't imagine your life is so important that you couldn't take time to clean up something in your house.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

OH, Goons. Only you lot would call the 18-20 seconds it takes to toss a soda can in the trash, put a dish in the dishwasher, close a book, and wipe up any spills "OCD."

And if this is going to turn in to a Mac vs. PC debate, I don't think having a filthy desk is going to give you any sort of high ground, so you should probably not bother going down that road.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
All I can think of is in the past, burnt into my mind, the image to counter the argument that Mac users keep their desks clean. Oh typicalmacintoshuser.jpg

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

HalloKitty posted:

All I can think of is in the past, burnt into my mind, the image to counter the argument that Mac users keep their desks clean. Oh typicalmacintoshuser.jpg

I had to look. I just had to. And now I hate you.

Good lord. :gonk:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Woah. :barf: Don't google image search that.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

JESUS CHRIST

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THAT PICTURE? MY MIND WAS NOT ABLE TO COMPREHEND, WAS THAT FECES?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe if I literally never interacted with any paper ever I could keep a clean desk, but that doesn't sound very fun.

That's all it takes. I am far from a clean and organized person, on the contrary I'm the type who if I'm not expecting company will ignore doing the dishes until I'm out of something important like bowls or plates, but I work from home and very rarely deal with anything on paper so my desk has nothing but computers, a phone, and a lighter on it.

HalloKitty posted:

You know you've spent too much time on the internet when even after all the above reactions you still GIS it. gently caress, now I need to wash my brain.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

kingfet posted:

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THAT PICTURE? MY MIND WAS NOT ABLE TO COMPREHEND, WAS THAT FECES?

I'm just hoping he's a potter, just really into his work.... :gonk:

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Rarely have my gag reflexes kicked in like that. Didn't see anything Mac, but I am not going back to check.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Jarl posted:

Rarely have my gag reflexes kicked in like that. Didn't see anything Mac, but I am not going back to check.

He clearly owns one of those garish old plastic Mac towers and matching keyboard/mouse.

See?

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 26, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still have one of those towers and keyboards :3:

Though, uh.. it's probably a little cleaner than his.

YARN
Oct 3, 2004

we hugged and talked about the forums
Just upgraded my (actual) desktop with some shelves from Ikea.

Before:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

And After:

Edit: messed up..

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

wolrah posted:

You know you've spent too much time on the internet when even after all the above reactions you still GIS it. gently caress, now I need to wash my brain.

No, you've spent too much time when you GIS it and it doesn't bug you as you've seen far worse.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

YARN posted:

Before:

And After:

I have and love those speakers, I currently have them sittingupon two smaller towers that are relatively empty.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

YARN posted:

Before:

And After:

Doesn't it sound odd since the speakers aren't directed at you?

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
This should be interesting. Here's my desk ~6 years ago. (I probably posted this picture before)

I just finished a new computer, so here's my desk now.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Same actual desk, stupid cheap speaker set, and one mouse. And a way better camera. :c00l:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Martytoof posted:

I still have one of those towers and keyboards :3:

Though, uh.. it's probably a little cleaner than his.

I picked one up for like $75 for my 4-year-old to play with. Still surprisingly usable for how old it is.

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

Nickopops fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 1, 2019

Spybreak
Mar 22, 2005

Handle with care

JerseyMonkey posted:

What are you working on? Looks like work similar to Escape from City 17 and 'What's in the Box?' Are you related to those projects by chance?

I wish. Just some small VFX test I filmed with a friend. Like this but, well, less lovely.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

plester1 posted:

If you want tons of easy cheapshit IKEA racks:

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

This is from like 2-3 pages back, but I don't care. This is amazing. So amazing.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raikiri posted:

Is this a btx case?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Is this a btx case?

Those series of Lian Li cases are just ATX turned upside down with the motherboard mounted to the left wall.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Zorilla posted:

Those series of Lian Li cases are just ATX turned upside down with the motherboard mounted to the left wall.

It's colloquially termed as WTX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prFrank
May 11, 2010
I've been reading a lot of Lifehacker, obviously:

I really like the headset hook underneath.