Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Has anyone tried using the latest version of Git Extensions with VS2010 on Windows 7? I'm not getting the Git Extensions menu in VS. I've reinstalled, repaired, and even went back to the previous version to no avail. I made sure the VS2010 plugin was selected each time when I did the installations. Anyone run into this also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Pardot posted:

I've given up the interactive rebasing, though, in favor of git merge --squash topic-branch from master.

For someone who only recently started rebasing, can you explain the rationale behind this?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Came by a strange occurrence in SVN just now, I ran svn status -u [working directory] and got a warning back about an "illegal repository URL ''". I thought it would be getting the URL from the .SVN folder in the directory, but svn update and svn info both worked without issue. Does anyone know what's going on? Svn status is part of a script I need working.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
When you do an svn info, what URL does it output?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got a project hosted on github, that I'm totally rewriting. Starting from scratch.

What's the recommended course of action? I'd like to keep the currently functioning version as the latest version available on the project page for now and then when I've got the rewrite functioning make it the latest available version.

This is probably a common occurrence, but I'm new to version control and git.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a project hosted on github, that I'm totally rewriting. Starting from scratch.

What's the recommended course of action? I'd like to keep the currently functioning version as the latest version available on the project page for now and then when I've got the rewrite functioning make it the latest available version.

Rewrite it from scratch, committing locally to do so. When you're ready, push your changes to GitHub.

If you aren't comfortable having your work in only one place (I'm not), make a bare clone of your repository, preferably copy it to a different machine that you have access to, and push to that repository quite often.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Thermopyle posted:

Fork it, write in new fork, then pull back to original once done. Alternatively, just branch.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Lysidas posted:

Rewrite it from scratch, committing locally to do so. When you're ready, push your changes to GitHub.

If you aren't comfortable having your work in only one place (I'm not), make a bare clone of your repository, preferably copy it to a different machine that you have access to, and push to that repository quite often.

To easily copy your repo to another machine, create a Dropbox account, set up your Dropbox directory (or a subdirectory within there) as a remote destination, and then just push to Dropbox so everything is automatically backed up.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, branching sounds appropriate here. Make a "rewrite" branch, get it to where you want it (push updates to github if you like), then merge it back into master and push.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Lysidas posted:

It may be as much a philosophical question as a practical one, but pushing to an extra repo to avoid branching in a situation where it seems warranted seems more like it's extra work than a shortcut.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Spengler posted:

It may be as much a philosophical question as a practical one, but pushing to an extra repo to avoid branching in a situation where it seems warranted seems more like it's extra work than a shortcut.

It absolutely is appropriate to make a new branch, and I guess I considered it basic enough that I didn't mention it in my post (oops). I didn't think Thermopyle wanted to push that new branch to GitHub yet; he did say that he didn't want his rewrite available on the project page and I interpreted that as "anywhere on the project page". Now that I think about this more, pushing the new branch to GitHub is probably what he wanted (or close enough).

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Either way you are going to end up with a merge commit that removes all the old files and adds all the new files, why not just make it a separate project :(

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 27, 2010

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Vanadium posted:

Either way you are going to end up with a merge commit that removes all the old files and adds all the new files, why not just make it a separate project :(

Because it's not a separate project.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Not only is it not a separate project, but if you keep it in the same tree (eventually), I can check out the commit previous to your merge commit and get the old version.

I don't have enough experience with git to know if it's possible, but could you just change the HEAD of master to point at the rewrite branch's HEAD when you're done (instead of merging the branches), or would that be idiotic?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yes, with something like
pre:
git checkout master
git tag old-version
git reset --hard new-version
Which will tag the old version so it can be retrieved later, then adjust master to point to the new branch.

This makes pushing master a non-fast-forward and will pretty much require people who have cloned your project to re-clone, though.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I've got a project (under git) I'd like to release, but without it's entire history. I basically want to release just the last few commits publically. What's the best way to do this while still maintaining the history privately?

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

the talent deficit posted:

I've got a project (under git) I'd like to release, but without it's entire history. I basically want to release just the last few commits publically. What's the best way to do this while still maintaining the history privately?

If you're OK with no history, use git archive. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The closest I can think of is to maintain a separate copy of the repository, use rebase --interactive to squash all but the commits you want to keep, and synch that with your complete repository manually.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Detailed instructions here (this describes a superset of what you want to do): http://progit.org/2010/03/17/replace.html

Scott Chacon posted:

For example, say you want to split your history into one short history for new developers and one much longer and larger history for people interested in data mining. You can graft one history onto the other by replaceing the earliest commit in the new line with the latest commit on the older one. This is nice because it means that you don’t actually have to rewrite every commit in the new history, as you would normally have to do to join them together (because the parentage effects the SHAs).

Let’s try this out. Let’s take an existing repository, split it into two repositories, one recent and one historical, and then we’ll see how we can recombine them without modifying the recent repositories SHA values via replace.

Olly the Otter
Jul 22, 2007
I've been tasked with importing our giant Subversion repository (with full project history) into Git. One problem is that there are some large binary files that should never have been checked in, and I'd like to clean that up so it's not part of the Git history.

Would it be better to go ahead and import the Subversion repository, then use git-filter-branch to remove the offending files? Or should I remove them from Subversion before importing? (I'm not entirely sure how to do the latter in such a way that they're not present at all in the history.)

Ideally, we want to have both Git and SVN available while we gradually migrate everyone to Git, so will need to be able to keep them in sync. I know how to do that using git-svn, but am not sure how that will be affected by using git-filter-branch.

Can anyone offer any guidance as to which approach is least likely to cause problems, or offer other suggestions?

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Unless you want to edit git-svn's binary rev_map files, filter-branch will break git-svn. I've done it, but wouldn't recommend it.

Trying to have people use both systems at the same time is going to be problematic, as a repo meant for use with git-svn is going to look rather different from one meant to be a full conversion. Creating a good conversion of a repository is likely to involve a bit of history rewriting to match git's world view. You also won't want git-svn's ugly revision markers on all of the commit messages. Doing any of that will mostly break git-svn.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I've just started using git on a home project after using Perforce at work and svn at home for years...

Part of the project is a web server component and a heavy weight client. For ease of iteration I'd like to have the web server component on the live server pull from a local repository but I don't want to have the client code on this public facing web server at all.

Looking around I thought what I wanted was sub modules, so I set up something like:

project_name
\-server
\-client

This is incredibly awkward. It seems I now can't do a single commit in server & client code, the repositories are considered completely separate. And project_name isn't updated unless I manually add server / client for each change. And when I do that, the commit history of the changes inside client/server is lost.

What I'd like is the equivilant of
svn co http://repo/project_name/server .
or a p4 client spec of //project_name/server/... //client_spec/

The requirements basically are:
- No client code on the server
- Atomic commit to changes in the protocol (Server & client go together)
- Single changelog of all changes

I guess even some kind of git local ignore would work where I could just say ignore client?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hughlander posted:

The requirements basically are:
- No client code on the server
- Atomic commit to changes in the protocol (Server & client go together)
- Single changelog of all changes

I guess even some kind of git local ignore would work where I could just say ignore client?

Submodules are pretty awkward if you don't know exactly how they work. They're designed mostly for when your project depends on another project, which you also want in your build tree (i.e. to track local changes to the "other project" and merge them back into upstream releases). This isn't your use case.

It sounds to me like you just want one repository. Why do you have the requirement of "no client code on the server"? What harm are the files doing just sitting there? Alternatively, you can ditch the atomic commit & single changelog requirements and just make two separate git repositories.

Or maybe someone knows a better idea.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Hughlander posted:

sub modules
Submodules are pretty much entirely useless poo poo unless you care about having a SPECIFIC commit of the sub-repo in your own repo.

I don't entirely understand what you want, but just creating a directory, adding it to gitignore and cloning your client repo into it should work fine. I'm doing something similar on one of my production servers to handle multiple sites with per-site differences and a shared codebase.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ColdPie posted:

It sounds to me like you just want one repository. Why do you have the requirement of "no client code on the server"? What harm are the files doing just sitting there? Alternatively, you can ditch the atomic commit & single changelog requirements and just make two separate git repositories.

I don't trust a public facing webserver not to be hacked, if it is I'd rather not have source code that doesn't need to be there on it. Atomic commits are far more important to me than not having the client source on the server.

Mithaldu posted:

I don't entirely understand what you want, but just creating a directory, adding it to gitignore and cloning your client repo into it should work fine. I'm doing something similar on one of my production servers to handle multiple sites with per-site differences and a shared codebase.

I was under the impression that gitignore itself would be in the repository? Is why I had asked if there was a way of doing a local repository only gitignore while also taking the gitignore from the origin (I believe that's the right term) repository. Though I suppose I could just deal with merge issues on pull.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Hughlander posted:

I was under the impression that gitignore itself would be in the repository? Is why I had asked if there was a way of doing a local repository only gitignore while also taking the gitignore from the origin (I believe that's the right term) repository. Though I suppose I could just deal with merge issues on pull.

You can use .git/info/exclude

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mr_jim posted:

You can use .git/info/exclude

Thanks, I missed that one line in the man page the 3 times I went over it :) Looks like I got a bit of repository rework to do.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is there an easy way to find out what version a repository was at at a given time on the command line? Say I wanted to update to the version for 4PM every day? Would I need to do an SVN log on the project and use a FIND command to get the last commit revision before that time? Or is there some existing function to do it?

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there an easy way to find out what version a repository was at at a given time on the command line? Say I wanted to update to the version for 4PM every day? Would I need to do an SVN log on the project and use a FIND command to get the last commit revision before that time? Or is there some existing function to do it?
svn up -r "{`date '+%Y-%m-%d 16:00:00'`}"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mine GO BOOM posted:

svn up -r "{`date '+%Y-%m-%d 16:00:00'`}"

Sorry, it says there's a syntax error, and I've not been able to find another example.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sorry, it says there's a syntax error, and I've not been able to find another example.
What shell are you using? This was something I just did real quick for bash, you should be able to look to see in almost any shell that you have some command to print a date, store that into a variable, and use that variable in svn up -r "{$VAR}"

molinari
May 13, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't use subversion, but check out this section about revision dates in the subversion book. It lists all valid date formats. It seems you should swap the quotes and curly brackets, then Mine GO BOOM's suggestion should work.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to convert an svn repo to hg...

code:
$ hg convert trunk
assuming destination trunk-hg
initializing destination trunk-hg repository
scanning source...
sorting...
converting...
819 creating trunk/branches/tags directories
818 moving project into trunk
...and it's just stopped. The status of the hg process is "sleeping" and the trunk-hg directory is holding at 40k. What have I done wrong?

Edit: I just realized 819 and 818 are revisions. Why didn't it start at 932, which is the latest in the svn repo?

Edit2: It's done a few more revisions, counting down. Really, really slowly. Is it typical for hg convert to process 1 revision every 5-20 seconds?

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 18, 2010

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Yes. It has to grab each revision from subversion and subversion is really slow.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Finally got things converted and cloned and so forth.

So my initial repo was created with 'hg convert' by hg 1.3.x, cloned to a central repo which is running hg 1.1.1, and I'm running hg 1.5.4 on my desktop. are there issues with running all these different versions?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

molinari posted:

I don't use subversion, but check out this section about revision dates in the subversion book. It lists all valid date formats. It seems you should swap the quotes and curly brackets, then Mine GO BOOM's suggestion should work.

Got distracted and had to down tools for a bit, but this is exactly what I need, thanks.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

AutoCrLf handling is, at best, poor. It will mark files as modified immediately after checking them out, which will interfere with a lot of operations (no switching for you).

ToxicFrog posted:

The problem he refers to is not with the editor, but with git itself. It's possible to get into a situation where the following happens:

- you check out a commit
- git fucks up with the CRLF conversion somewhere
- now git thinks all your files are modified because the line endings differ
- you can't switch branches or anything because git thinks everything is modified even though it isn't

Personally, I haven't observed this behaviour recently, but then, I haven't used git on windows recently either.

Lysidas posted:

I've seen this happen and I believe I have an explanation for it. I would guess that your repository contains files with CR+LF line endings (i.e. the actual content of the blob objects).

If core.autocrlf = true, Git will translate everything to a CR+LF line ending on checkout. However, since it would be committed with LF line endings instead of the CR+LF in the current commit, it's marked as modified (even after a git reset --hard or git stash).

I was very interested to see this commit when git pulling my clone of Git itself.

Finn Arne Gangstad <finnag@pvv.org> posted:

autocrlf: Make it work also for un-normalized repositories

Previously, autocrlf would only work well for normalized
repositories. Any text files that contained CRLF in the repository
would cause problems, and would be modified when handled with
core.autocrlf set.

Change autocrlf to not do any conversions to files that in the
repository already contain a CR. git with autocrlf set will never
create such a file, or change a LF only file to contain CRs, so the
(new) assumption is that if a file contains a CR, it is intentional,
and autocrlf should not change that.

The following sequence should now always be a NOP even with autocrlf
set (assuming a clean working directory):

git checkout <something>
touch *
git add -A . (will add nothing)
git commit (nothing to commit)

Previously this would break for any text file containing a CR.

(commit message continues, but the rest isn't really relevant here)

:woop:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Mercurial (or DVCS in general) question.

I have a few contractors writing code for me. I'm thinking of this architecture:
code:
                +----------------> Central ----------+
                |                                    |
        hg push |                                    | hg pull only
                |             | <-- Dev 1 <-- |      |
Production <-- Test <-- Me <--| <-- Dev 2 <-- |<-----+
                              | <-- Dev 3 <-- |
This means I only need to give them read access to the central repository.

I'm new to distributed version control, but I think this makes sense. Educate me!

How does this sound? How should code get from them to me, i.e. should I be Pulling from them or should they be Pushing to me? Or using patches? Does it matter?

Edit: I should add that my goal is to preview/test their work in my development environment before allowing it into the central repo, but if it does get into central I want their history preserved.

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 29, 2010

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

epswing posted:

Mercurial (or DVCS in general) question.

I have a few contractors writing code for me. I'm thinking of this architecture:
code:
                +----------------> Central ----------+
                |                                    |
        hg push |                                    | hg pull only
                |             | <-- Dev 1 <-- |      |
Production <-- Test <-- Me <--| <-- Dev 2 <-- |<-----+
                              | <-- Dev 3 <-- |
This means I only need to give them read access to the central repository.

I'm new to distributed version control, but I think this makes sense. Educate me!

How does this sound? How should code get from them to me, i.e. should I be Pulling from them or should they be Pushing to me? Or using patches? Does it matter?

Edit: I should add that my goal is to preview/test their work in my development environment before allowing it into the central repo, but if it does get into central I want their history preserved.

Looks pretty sane to me. This is basically how the system we use at my job works. You don't want them pushing to your repository, you should be pulling from theirs. Patches or pulling would both work, it just depends on whether email is easier than setting up the push/pull permissions, public repositories, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

You don't want them pushing to your repository, you should be pulling from theirs.

Why is that?

I ask because allowing them to push to me seems like a reasonable approach when dealing with a small number of people. Even with push_ssl = False and allow_push = *, can't I flip on hg serve, accept the push, and flip it off again? No ssl issues, no extra public/private keys (other than the ones required for them to pull from Central), they aren't required to forward a port through their router to allow hg serve to work on their machines (only I need to do this), no extra external repos. The only downside I see is that we have to both be at our machines at the same time, or work out a schedule ("My machine will be available to accept your push from 9-10pm tonight").

Please tell me if I'm being an idiot...but this seems viable for small groups, no?

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 29, 2010