Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bad movie knight posted:

As great as Raiders of the Lost Ark is, it would be 100x more awesome if it starred Klaus Kinski as the villain and was directed by Werner Herzog.

Sorry, Spielberg, but it's true.

Indiana Jones and the Port of Call, New Orleans Indiana Jones and der Zorn Gottes

My god, the mind boggles. You're totally right though!

Maybe not so many Germans appear in Hollywood films because not that many are good enough AND have excellent English?

Herzog/Kinski snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't that why Japanese people in movies are often played by Chinese? There's not many Japanese actors that speak english, outside of Ken Wantanabe. Only other male Japanese actor I can think of that works in Hollywood is George Takai.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bad movie knight posted:

As great as Raiders of the Lost Ark is, it would be 100x more awesome if it starred Klaus Kinski as the villain and was directed by Werner Herzog.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

EXT. DESERT - DAY

CAMERA LINGERS ON SAND BLOWING IN THE WIND FOR FIVE MINUTES WHILE POPOL VUH PLAYS.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
As much as I would love to see a Herzog Indian Jones adventure ROTLA is basically a perfect movie and really can't be any better than it already is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

foodfight posted:

Herzog Indian Jones adventure
Well that's just something else entirely.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't that why Japanese people in movies are often played by Chinese? There's not many Japanese actors that speak english, outside of Ken Wantanabe. Only other male Japanese actor I can think of that works in Hollywood is George Takai.

Hiroyuki Sanada (Twilight Samurai, Sunshine) was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre for a few years.

George Takai is not Japanese Japanese. He was born in the US.

And you are forgetting about Gedde Watanabe.

They are plenty of full Japanese native English speakers in Hawaii, and the West Coast. It's not like there is a dearth of Asian faces who speak native English. But there is a dearth of Asian roles. If you were a stud in Japan where you can play any role in movies, would you want to come to the US where the only roles open to you were specifically Asian characters? Especially either hypersexualized (or hypersubmissive) females, and neutered males?

It's not as bad as it once was, but I cannot think of a single matter of fact romantic comedy role written for anyone other than white males. If you are Asian and female, it's still a minstrel show in America. Lucy Liu kind of made sure of that.

There's always jobs at the post office, rather than playing yellowface characters, as Robert Townshend would say.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

kapalama posted:

Especially either hypersexualized (or hypersubmissive) females, and neutered males?

It's not as bad as it once was, but I cannot think of a single matter of fact romantic comedy role written for anyone other than white males.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
What the hell happened to John Carpenter? He's responsible for some of my all time favorite movies like The Thing, Mouth of Madness, Halloween 1&2, Escape from NY, etc. etc. His resume is classic after classic

He hasn't made a movie since Ghosts of Mars in 2001. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was nowhere near his other works. Vampires wasn't all that great either. What's he been doing for the past 10 years? Is he retired or on sabbatical?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

KillRoy posted:

What the hell happened to John Carpenter? He's responsible for some of my all time favorite movies like The Thing, Mouth of Madness, Halloween 1&2, Escape from NY, etc. etc. His resume is classic after classic

He hasn't made a movie since Ghosts of Mars in 2001. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was nowhere near his other works. Vampires wasn't all that great either. What's he been doing for the past 10 years? Is he retired or on sabbatical?

He directed a couple episodes of Showtime's horror anthology show which were crap and is working on FEAR 3 (a game).

So yeah I dunno either.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hey now, "Cigarette Burns" was probably the best episode of Masters of Horror.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Not saying it is accurate but the Wikipedia page explains pretty clearly what happened to John Carpenter's career.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not sure if I imagined this or not, but I'm trying to pinpoint a trailer for some sort of sci-fi action movie. A bunch of dudes doing cool gun stuff in a big corporate complex. I clearly remember the trailer ending with two dudes shooting at a bad guy, then diving backward through a big window and falling down an impossibly deep metal shaft.

Is this real? I've been browsing trailers for an hour and can't locate it.

edit: Didn't imagine it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvODEWW_P6M

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 30, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm watching Night of the Hunter again and it's got me wondering - other than Charles Laughton, are there any other significant directors that only ever made one movie? I'm drawing a blank.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

kapalama posted:

Not saying it is accurate but the Wikipedia page explains pretty clearly what happened to John Carpenter's career.
It's all been downhill since he murdered Bob Crane.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

It's not quite the same thing, since he ended up directing moving 16 years later but the director of 'Bliss' (1985 film) basically lost his license to direct for apparently the same reason that the director of "Night of the Hunter" did.

I imagine that directors these days could retreat into video and commercial production rather than having to leave directing altogether. That's what the director of 'Bliss' did apparently.

(I recommend the movie Bliss BTW, though I have not seen it in a few years. It's not available in the US though.)

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

FishBulb posted:

He directed a couple episodes of Showtime's horror anthology show which were crap and is working on FEAR 3 (a game).

So yeah I dunno either.

He has a new movie coming out in September that's a ghost story, and apparently he's only advising/narrating for FEAR 3 because he was a fan of the original.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

kapalama posted:

It's not quite the same thing, since he ended up directing moving 16 years later but the director of 'Bliss' (1985 film) basically lost his license to direct for apparently the same reason that the director of "Night of the Hunter" did.

I imagine that directors these days could retreat into video and commercial production rather than having to leave directing altogether. That's what the director of 'Bliss' did apparently.

(I recommend the movie Bliss BTW, though I have not seen it in a few years. It's not available in the US though.)

What's all this about licenses to direct?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

penismightier posted:

What's all this about 'licenses to direct'?

I meant it euphemistically/metpahorically, in that makers of unsuccessful films are not signed up to direct again, not that they are actually forbidden to direct.

as in "License to kill", or given free license to act.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Howard Hughes co-directed 2 movies, that's sort of totals up to just 1.

Tom Hanks directed That Thing You Do but it looks like he's directing an upcoming movie too, he also did a bunch of TV shows.

And there's the infamous Harold P. Warren who directed Manos: The Hands of Fate

edit: Marlon Brando directed One Eyed Jacks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055257/ I bet there's a bunch of famous actors who took a shot at directing just once.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 30, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dalton Trumbo only directed Johnny got his Gun.

If we're looking outside of feature films Jean Genet only directed A song of Love.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 30, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

kapalama posted:

I meant it euphemistically/metpahorically, in that makers of unsuccessful films are not signed up to direct again, not that they are actually forbidden to direct.

as in "License to kill", or given free license to act.

I think Laughton was just really discouraged - they probably would've let him direct again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

W.C. Fields usually wrote the screenplays for films he appeared in, but he only directed once - The Man on the Flying Trapeze. The original director, Clyde Bruckman, was fired because of his alcoholism problems. Fields didn't get credit, but it's probably the most coherent and well directed of his films.

The Beatles directed Magical Mystery Tour themselves. The song scenes were generally split up by each for their own works - Paul supervised The Fool on the Hill, John did I Am the Walrus, George on Blue Jay Way, with Ringo serving as cinematographer.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

KillRoy posted:

He got old and crazy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

KillRoy posted:

He hasn't made a movie since Ghosts of Mars in 2001. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was nowhere near his other works.

Well, here's your problem. Ghosts of Mars was, in fact, a really loving bad movie. I'd say it was easily bad enough to ruin a classic director's career for good, even if it hadn't been preceded by a bunch of other misfires.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
wikipedia says he got two movies lined up; his Masters of Horror episodes were among the better so I'm still hopefull he can do it

NeuroticErotica posted:

He got old and crazy.
by crazy you mean....

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Honest Thief posted:

wikipedia says he got two movies lined up; his Masters of Horror episodes were among the better so I'm still hopefull he can do it

But hes demonstrated that he can't do it with every movie hes made since what? Mouth of Madness? So he hasn't made a good movie in 16 years at this point.

Thats not a minor setback or anything.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Well there was Vampires before Ghosts of Mars, which wasn't terrible, if I recall it was pretty fun
sure it's been more than 10 years since then, but I'm hopefull

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Well there was Vampires before Ghosts of Mars, which wasn't terrible, if I recall it was pretty fun
sure it's been more than 10 years since then, but I'm hopefull
I saw Vampires pretty recently and I will defend it until the day I die. Anyone who says a single bad word about James Woods performance is dead to me.

And Carpenter has only made Ghosts of Mars since then (not counting the TV stuff) so who knows if his next film is going to be good or not.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hedenius posted:

I saw Vampires pretty recently and I will defend it until the day I die. Anyone who says a single bad word about James Woods performance is dead to me.

And Carpenter has only made Ghosts of Mars since then (not counting the TV stuff) so who knows if his next film is going to be good or not.

apparently he's working on the third FEAR game before then.

My question is simple: there are two versions of Red Cliff available to me. One is the massive, uncut 5 hour two film version, the other is the 2.5 hour theatrical cut, which i've seen. It was okay, but I could smell the bits that were missing. What I'm wondering is how much longer the battles are in the uncut Chinese version? I know there's a lot of narrative cuts (including several whole story arcs) but what about the choppy choppy?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
'Ghosts of Mars' was messed around with by the studio (Statham was supposed to be the lead) and 'Vampires' had the majority of its budget slashed right before shooting, causing a massive rewrite. I heard that little of the original scripted scenes ever made it into the finished film.

Basically it's like this. Carpenter had some lovely experiences working with studio's and decided that he just didn't give a poo poo anymore. He mad a ton of money and just does that he wants now.

See also; Steve Guttenberg.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DrVenkman posted:

Basically it's like this. Carpenter had some lovely experiences working with studio's and decided that he just didn't give a poo poo anymore. He mad a ton of money and just does that he wants now.

Which, according to his wife, is sitting around eating fried chicken, smoking, and playing video games.

God bless him.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I thought he was filming a thriller set in an asylum? I can't remember the name at all though

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

the Bunt posted:

I thought he was filming a thriller set in an asylum? I can't remember the name at all though

The Ward. It's in post-production.

This is the only footage anyone's seen of it so far, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGdIedsZi8

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

PTizzle posted:

Hopefully this belongs here, has anyone seen The Stoning of Soraya M.? It looks like an interesting look at the culture surrounding it but it could easily be terrible. Just looking for general thoughts from anyone who has seen it.

I thought it was an extremely good film. Very moving and infuriating at the same time and I was thinking about it long after it was over. Be warned that the title scene is very graphic, but I would definitely recommend it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

So, I have a little dilemma. I find that I am most drawn and entranced by Asian cinema. From Wong Kar-wai to Tsai-ming Lai to Takashi Miike to Park-Chan Wook. I will probably be hanged for this but I find Kurosawa to be good but nothing special (I haven't seen many of his films and hardly any of the "classic" ones), but I like it all, really.

My problem is that most of the time, I can't for the life of me distinguish many of the actors from one another. For instance, I recently watched Wong Kar-wai's 2046 and until halfway through I didn't realize that the protagonist was having flings with several different women. This really confused me. Most of the time, I have to look at an actor's hair style or other defining features because their faces look so similar. I know I'm a filthy gaijin but I was wondering if it ever gets easier the more films I watch.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

My problem is that most of the time, I can't for the life of me distinguish many of the actors from one another. For instance, I recently watched Wong Kar-wai's 2046 and until halfway through I didn't realize that the protagonist was having flings with several different women. This really confused me. Most of the time, I have to look at an actor's hair style or other defining features because their faces look so similar. I know I'm a filthy gaijin but I was wondering if it ever gets easier the more films I watch.

Um, I guess? I have this problem once in a while, but only rarely. It sounds like you've already watched a lot though, so I don't know how much better for you it can get. 2046 has some very popular actresses (Gong Li, Faye Wong, Maggie Cheung, Ziyi Zhang) so I'd think you would know their faces by now.

the Bunt posted:

Tsai-ming Lai

Do you mean Tsai Ming-liang? I just reviewed his newest in the "Rate the Latest" thread (it's terrific!).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the Bunt posted:

Might be more due to constantly glancing at the subtitles than their asian-ness. You could try watching movies dubbed (if you can stand it, some dubs are just atrocious) and see if that clears it up.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Um, I guess? I have this problem once in a while, but only rarely. It sounds like you've already watched a lot though, so I don't know how much better for you it can get. 2046 has some very popular actresses (Gong Li, Faye Wong, Maggie Cheung, Ziyi Zhang) so I'd think you would know their faces by now.

Do you mean Tsai Ming-liang? I just reviewed his newest in the "Rate the Latest" thread (it's terrific!).

Yup yup. I was mixed up. The Hole: 2000 Seen By and Rebels of the Neon God are two of my most favorite films.

Could be a subtitle issue, I suppose. I really dislike dubs for the most part, but if anyone knows of some serviceable ones that'd be great.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

the Bunt posted:

Could be a subtitle issue, I suppose. I really dislike dubs for the most part, but if anyone knows of some serviceable ones that'd be great.

Also, try watching some films with not much dialogue (if it is the subtitles) or a very limited cast of characters. Kim Ki-Duk films tend to fit both those criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

Yup yup. I was mixed up. The Hole: 2000 Seen By and Rebels of the Neon God are two of my most favorite films.

FYI, "2000 Seen By" isn't part of the title, it's just The Hole. "2000 Seen By" is a collection of 10 films, each by a different director from a different country, each containing the moment we switched from 1999 to 2000.