Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AXE COP posted:

Can anyone help me out with getting the theme music out of the game?

There's one that actually plays on the title screen (my favourite version and the one I actually want), there's a different sounding one that I have from the soundtrack, and there's several versions on Youtube. How can I get the one from the game into a proper music file?

Thanks in advance for any help :shobon:

If it's any help, the PS2 version had an orchestrated version of the DX theme, so if you're looking for the different-sounding version of the titlescreen music that's probably it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If it's any help, the PS2 version had an orchestrated version of the DX theme, so if you're looking for the different-sounding version of the titlescreen music that's probably it.

My new goal is to conduct an orchestra playing the DX theme. On a freeway.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
Shifter + Gilbert Renton + Flamethrower + Jojo Fine = sheer awesomeness.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Stathol posted:

On that note:
It's raining cats!

Yep Deus Ex still the best game.

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

I'm entertaining the idea of doing my next run through pilfering and hording every credit chit and not spending a single one of them to try for a fat wallet challenge high score.

And also upgrading my strength and taking out the majority of people with a basketballs and potted plants.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Make sure to master Computer then, since I'm pretty sure hacked ATMs give you an amount of money based on the skill. If I recall right, you can actually withdraw more money than an ATM contains at Master, making it possibly more lucrative to hack the ATM than to find the code for it.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm pretty sure that at least some ATMs you can use the code and then hack it and get extra money. But you have to use the code first, otherwise hacking breaks the machine.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Angry Diplomat posted:

master Computer

Master Computer?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like to imagine that's what those big red alarm buttons look like when JC hacks all the cameras and turrets and soldiers start getting mowed down by the dozen.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Angry Diplomat posted:

Make sure to master Computer then, since I'm pretty sure hacked ATMs give you an amount of money based on the skill. If I recall right, you can actually withdraw more money than an ATM contains at Master, making it possibly more lucrative to hack the ATM than to find the code for it.

I never knew that, I thought the only benefit was more time when hacking something.

Are there any other benefits I've missed?

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

Starting a new game to get a fat wallet. Jew C. Denton.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Walton Simons posted:

Are there any other benefits I've missed?

At trained you can only screw around with cameras and doors but cannot change the behaviour of turrets, that comes at advanced is one I know of

P.S. Manderley, if you're reading this, it was me who blocked off your hidden safe. I never bought that 'budget considerations' excuse, you prick.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

At trained you can only screw around with cameras and doors but cannot change the behaviour of turrets, that comes at advanced is one I know of

P.S. Manderley, if you're reading this, it was me who blocked off your hidden safe. I never bought that 'budget considerations' excuse, you prick.

That's what the description says, but there are a lot of turrets I've been able to change, and I'm only at trained. So I don't know.
Also I don't know if "Allies" means my allies or the turret's allies - same goes for "Enemies". I always just set it to disabled (but I guess shutting off the camera automatically does that).

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can modify turrets if you use a correct login/password since that gives full access. When you hack instead you won't be able to mess with the turrets until Advanced (but you can turn off cameras which are the main hassle anyway)

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I'd love to see some thoughts on expanding the usefulness of several of these skills. Part of the beauty of this game lies in the manifold superficialities of all skills taken together; each skill point in electronics or even computers doesnt exactly change the way you play, since a large part of the game is the manner in which you use these skills, not how well they are used.

In an expanded (or redone) version of this game, I'd love to see a bit more done in terms of gameplay diversity through skills. Since we're talking about Computers, what if you got more than turret access with advanced, or maybe you could path off into something else, somehow combining it (in part) with a sub-electronics skill: in lieu of the omnipresent fuse-boxes, maybe every so often you find some other type of computer-ish terminal that controls, say, power to the bots in an area--you 'electro-hack' this terminal to short by hacking. Or you could have used a multitool to disarm the lasergrids garding a vent, or you could have opened the main door and made a run for it using straight-up hacking on the computer at the rooms far side.

Then again, maybe this is a dumb idea. No map-options would really change all that much I guess. Multitools still turn off lasergrids and open doors. Computers still turn off cameras, check for email, operate cameras, operate bots/level depended objectives.

I just think it would be a lot more egregious these days in a new Deus Ex running into a room, surveying it, and and knowing that your best bet is running straight for the computer--theres really no reason not to hack when it's so useful. Knowing that, there's got to be ways to both flesh out gameplay while making a skill like lockpick more interesting. Maybe if your computer and lockpicking skills are both high enough, you can open specific things more easily. Or maybe, instead of leveling demolitions to expert, you chose which explosives you want to benefit from certain effects: follow the demo path a bit and you might have an option of giving gas grenades a deeper range because they ricochet now or something.

When I first started playing the game, one of the things that bugged me about the sealab level in particular was how spare it was in terms of things to interact with as you sort of zone out while you look for the next computer terminal or fuse box you need to conquer before you pass.

Is this crazy talk?

Le Sean fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 27, 2010

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

stratdax posted:

That's what the description says, but there are a lot of turrets I've been able to change, and I'm only at trained. So I don't know.
Also I don't know if "Allies" means my allies or the turret's allies - same goes for "Enemies". I always just set it to disabled (but I guess shutting off the camera automatically does that).

Allies means it shoots you and your allies, enemies means it shoots your enemies (and they don't have to set off an alarm for it to target them), everything means it shoots wooden supply crates, explosive and poison barrels, your enemies, you, animals, everything.

Also, if you can reach the camera or gun after hacking it's terminal you can manually toggle it between bypassed and shoot allies by right-clicking it. I plan on having a look at the code behind that to see if it can be improved.

Retro-Future Rodent fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 27, 2010

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

stratdax posted:

I always just set it to disabled (but I guess shutting off the camera automatically does that).

Nope, if you shut off the cameras but an enemy triggers the alarm, any active turrets will still be able to detect and shoot you. If you set them to Enemies, though, their targeting becomes augmented and they'll always shoot the enemies, regardless of whether the alarm is active or there are any cameras nearby.

Basically, you're doing it properly - if you don't want the turrets to shoot at you, either never get spotted or make sure they're set to something other than Allies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

stratdax posted:

It lets you muck around with the turret if you have the passcode, even if you hack.

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

Maximum cash end game is a fun way to play. The max level computer skills before leaving liberty island (at least on shifter) have been nice to not only get money out of ATMs but also to read all the incriminating emails in UNATCO that basically blow the whole conspiracy right out of the water before you really get into the game. I'm getting to Hell's Kitchen for a second time an I nearly have 10k in cash. I tried to fire extinguisher trick but couldn't get it to work and begrudgingly bought Jock Helicopter two beers.

I think lock pick skills will be useful since later on I intent to stop being less lethal in order to get op bonuses and re-purpose the "keymaster" GEP from a door opener to a enemy slayer.

Also you would be surprised what a ton of mods on a 10 mm pistol will do to compensate for complete lack of small arms training.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Stump Truck posted:

I'm pretty sure that at least some ATMs you can use the code and then hack it and get extra money. But you have to use the code first, otherwise hacking breaks the machine.
No, each ATM has a single account that works on it, and a single stock of credits inside of it. Using the pin number or hacking it, either way you get that money. If you use the pin and then hack it, it'll pop up with 0 credits available, because you've already taken them all.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You don't actually ever have to buy Jock a beer; the only thing he can give you other than a bit of interesting dialogue is the password to Smuggler's, which you can also get from Sandra Renton by rescuing her from Johnny in the alleyway.

edit: next time I get to the bit with JoJo, I'm giving Mr. Renton a LAW rocket and watching from the safety of the upstairs balcony.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 27, 2010

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
You guys weren't kidding.

Just finished this game for the first time today and all i can say is: holy poo poo!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Jetsetlemming posted:

No, each ATM has a single account that works on it, and a single stock of credits inside of it. Using the pin number or hacking it, either way you get that money. If you use the pin and then hack it, it'll pop up with 0 credits available, because you've already taken them all.

Many ATMs have multiple accounts, the accounts are sometimes shared between multiple ATMs in the same area (Hell's Kitchen is a notable exception) and many ATMs access more accounts then there are placed codes to, so you can occasionally grab some extra cash by flushing all the accounts you can find the account info for and then hacking the machine.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of this game is JC's "Who are you?!" if you pick the Helios ending.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Stuntman posted:

The best part of this game is JC's "Who are you?!" if you pick the Helios ending.

Incorrect. It's Bob Page's "UNATCO?"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I just started going through this with shifter and its amazing how Hong Kong/ versalife just showcases the worst voice acting the game has to offer. There's a guy who's supposed to be Irish in the Versalife lobby area and my god it is downright painful to hear

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angry Diplomat posted:

edit: next time I get to the bit with JoJo, I'm giving Mr. Renton a LAW rocket and watching from the safety of the upstairs balcony.

I tried this. It ended with Renton unable to get a lock, after which Jojo simply shot him.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Incorrect. It's Bob Page's "UNATCO?"

A BOMB!!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Ansob. posted:

A BOMB!!

Desperate. Your turn.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Go in. And go in. And go in. And go in like the US Marshalls.

On a more serious note, started my tenth anniversary playthrough today. Deus Ex? Still owns.

Until today though, I was never curious enough to look at the files included in shifter. Since they're basically plaintext code, it's very possible to gently caress around and add poo poo to the game myself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ansob. posted:

A BOMB!!

A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I just found this guy for the first time on my last playthrough. Amazing that you can beat a game 20+ times and still miss something. Best game ever.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
If you break into the Luminous Path compound before you're supposed to and kill all the triad members, does Gordon Quick ever calm down? He's currently still hostile and I'm trying to tell him that Max Chen will agree to a truce.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
I don't know if you'll be able to calm him down, but if you can't you might wanna consider spawning another Gordon Quick somewhere so you can finish the mission.

TreeSquid
Jul 24, 2003

Tentacle rape from above.

Perfect Potato posted:

I had 7 multitools. I used one. I now have 6 multitools. I found a new multitool. Inventory full. What. What are you talking about, Invisible War? My inventory isn't full, I just had 7! I did not meet whatever arbitrary multitool cap that's in this game. Why does this multitool take up an entirely different inventory space? Is it a special multitool? A king among multitools??

This happened to me and I remembered your post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31AnnoYZ2ec

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Cicadalek posted:

I just started going through this with shifter and its amazing how Hong Kong/ versalife just showcases the worst voice acting the game has to offer. There's a guy who's supposed to be Irish in the Versalife lobby area and my god it is downright painful to hear

Rhetoric? And you believe it???

For some reason I love all the bad v/o in this game, when that's usually a huge issue for me if a game is lacking there. Maybe it's because even the bad v/o still adds flavor, and is over the top enough to be entertaining (plus the script is pretty good) - its different from eg., Fallout 3 where just about every performance in the game sounds as if it was achieved by handing scripts to the custodial staff and giving them Mamet-esque stage direction. That game was just agonizing to listen to from start to finish.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

Allies means it shoots you and your allies, enemies means it shoots your enemies (and they don't have to set off an alarm for it to target them), everything means it shoots wooden supply crates, explosive and poison barrels, your enemies, you, animals, everything.

Also, if you can reach the camera or gun after hacking it's terminal you can manually toggle it between bypassed and shoot allies by right-clicking it. I plan on having a look at the code behind that to see if it can be improved.

The first time I played it took me way too long to realize that "enemies" meant my enemies; since the game is so immersive I figured that since it was the enemy's computer that "enemies" meant their enemies, which were my allies.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The first time I played it took me way too long to realize that "enemies" meant my enemies; since the game is so immersive I figured that since it was the enemy's computer that "enemies" meant their enemies, which were my allies.

Surely the fact that it defaulted to "Allies" would have tipped you off :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I did the exact same thing. :downs:

DNS posted:

Rhetoric? And you believe it???

For some reason I love all the bad v/o in this game, when that's usually a huge issue for me if a game is lacking there. Maybe it's because even the bad v/o still adds flavor, and is over the top enough to be entertaining (plus the script is pretty good) - its different from eg., Fallout 3 where just about every performance in the game sounds as if it was achieved by handing scripts to the custodial staff and giving them Mamet-esque stage direction. That game was just agonizing to listen to from start to finish.

Probably because in FO3 the characters were loathsome and the story was poo poo.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 29, 2010