Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

kinkster posted:

Two minutes into a song called Graphic Designer by Electric Six, something really cool happens. I don't know what to describe it as, but if you listen to it it's easy to find the transition

so ya, looking for stuff similar to that second half of that song

Click here to listen to 11-electric_six-graphic_designer.mp3

I have no idea if they are still around, but the Residents might be something worht looking into for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
Can anyone recommend me any good music in Italian. I'm thinking something in the line of Carla Bruni but Italian. I'm taking Italian 101 and being surrounded by the language will help

Wackle
Oct 28, 2006
Title Text?
Recommend me some buckethead. I really love Bucketheadland and the intro to Southpark they use, which i will also be requesting what song that is because its great.

I'm not so much into his slow trancish stuff but his faster, more metally songs. Jordan is pretty cool too.

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

Wackle posted:

Recommend me some buckethead. I really love Bucketheadland and the intro to Southpark they use, which i will also be requesting what song that is because its great.

I'm not so much into his slow trancish stuff but his faster, more metally songs. Jordan is pretty cool too.

Album-wise, I gotta recommend Cuckoo Clocks of Hell, Kaleidoscalp and The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock. They have a very good amount of the more "metally" songs of his.

Descent of the Damned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXbUCQMwwk
Elephant Man's Alarm Clock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0VjtEp09k
The Android of Notre Dame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV9M_bi7-ow

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

reach42 posted:

Can anyone recommend me any good music in Italian. I'm thinking something in the line of Carla Bruni but Italian. I'm taking Italian 101 and being surrounded by the language will help

Francoise Hardy did a load of songs in Italian, I have like a 50-song comp of those, rules a ton.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I'm looking for something along the lines of Owen Pallet/Final Fantasy but the last fm recommendations aren't what I'm looking for.

I dunno how to explain this properly but Arcade Fire & Grizzly Bear aren't it. I'm digging the contemporary orchestral type arrangements, its mostly strings & a bit of rhythm I guess but I suppose the closest I can think is that it sounds a bit like soundtrack music at times.

Ughh I dunno, I hope someone knows what I'm mumbling about.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

spe posted:

I'm looking for something along the lines of Owen Pallet/Final Fantasy but the last fm recommendations aren't what I'm looking for.

I dunno how to explain this properly but Arcade Fire & Grizzly Bear aren't it. I'm digging the contemporary orchestral type arrangements, its mostly strings & a bit of rhythm I guess but I suppose the closest I can think is that it sounds a bit like soundtrack music at times.

Check out Pram and Deparment of Eagles.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I just downloaded "Fantasma" by Cornelius from iTunes and like it so far, what genre is it (iTunes lists him as Rock but he's not there's bits of various dance genres in there I think and some hip hop) and who else is good in the genre.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

spe posted:

Check out the album A Thousand Shark's Teeth by My Brightest Diamond. Past the first couple of tracks it's most just melodramatic vocals over string arrangements and it all rules.

Also the other point-of-reference people always mention in the same breath is Andrew Bird because they both play the violin in an indie-pop setting. I'm not the biggest fan of most of his records but you should check out Weather Systems for "cinematic" hate that descriptor) qualities and The Mysterious Production of Eggs for a similar fussiness.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Jut posted:

Hey guys,
looking for more similar to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1oaFjtwLs

Female vocals, chillout, jazzy, 'busy' music with a latin twist.

It would be nice to find an album full of similar stuff instead of the one or two songs found on cafe del mar.

After some proper listens to moodorama and the dining rooms, although good they are still not quite what i'm after. any other ideas?

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
Can you guys recommend me some long psychedelic rock type jamming songs from the late 60s early 70s? I stumbled onto a couple songs while I was shuffling that I have like that and I'll list them so that you can get an idea of what I'm thinking about. Voodoo Chile by Jimi Hendrix, Spoonful by Cream, Gadda Da Vidda by Iron Butterfly. Basically anything in that 15 minute range.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Can you guys recommend me some long psychedelic rock type jamming songs from the late 60s early 70s? I stumbled onto a couple songs while I was shuffling that I have like that and I'll list them so that you can get an idea of what I'm thinking about. Voodoo Chile by Jimi Hendrix, Spoonful by Cream, Gadda Da Vidda by Iron Butterfly. Basically anything in that 15 minute range.

Mountain - Nantucket Sleigh Ride (from Twin Peaks)

Can - Yoo Doo Right (Tago Mago also has several long songs)

Deep Purple - Space Truckin' (from Made in Japan)

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (whole album)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic

Pickwick
Sep 12, 2009

I CAN'T EVEN TROLL LADY GAGA FANS WITHOUT FUCKING UP. PLEASE BAN ME.
I like 3 oh 3, kesha, awk, and that kind of upbeat, rock-rap electronic stuff with braggy lyrics. Who else might I like?

emminou
May 25, 2006

if you like Kesha odds are pretty good you'd like Uffie, for starters. Possibly also kids of 88 but they don't have many songs out.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Jut posted:

After some proper listens to moodorama and the dining rooms, although good they are still not quite what i'm after. any other ideas?

There's tons of music like this. Check out Bark Psychosis and Talk Talk. If you don't like the direction that those two artists take, check out Nouvelle Vague, Jazzanova, Tosca, Thunderball, Air, The Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, Pink Martini (totally badass, in fact if you're reading this post and you're not even interested in this music check out pink martini anyway), Jazzamore, [re:jazz], Groove Armada, man, there's so many I don't know which to recommend. could you perhaps narrow it down a bit more?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Balmorhea - self titled and River Arms, their two first albums.
Ludivico Einaudi - Nightbook and Divenire, his two last albums.

A lot of awesome piano music, any more that fits that bill?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Daktari posted:

Balmorhea - self titled and River Arms, their two first albums.
Ludivico Einaudi - Nightbook and Divenire, his two last albums.

A lot of awesome piano music, any more that fits that bill?

Goldmund, although his approach to the piano is a bit more somber and subtle than of those two you mentioned. I really like Peter Broderick's work too. Nils Frahm is pretty decent as well.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

I'm looking for some country music similar to Garth Brooks or Uncle Tupelo. I've never listened to this sort of music before, but I heard some on the radio and I want to hear more. I'm looking for songs about being drunk, sad, and unemployed. Songs about the depression will work as well.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Very broad request, but I'm looking to get into foreign music. Mostly French, Swedish, Russian, but anything else that's foreign and also good. I realized I have very few foreign language songs in my library, and I'd definitely like more. Not Japanese, unless the suggestion is for non j-poppy.

I have a few songs by Emilie Simon (French), Kent (Swedish), Bi-2 (Russian), but that's about it. I know this is broad, so maybe just recommend your favorite bands in general?

Also, I have a bit of a thing for Franz Ferdinand. Any other artists I should check out? I have last.fm but I haven't really bothered to check them out there because I'm more looking for foreign music right now. (I realize there was a thread to post your favorite foreign bands in a while ago, but I can only find the one from earlier this year, which isn't the one I wanted to look through)

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Hello all.

I'm looking to mature my tastes in Music after years of constant J-Rock and Pop. I still enjoy the occasional JAM Project song, but I feel I'm growing out of that phase.

What I'm looking for are albums or groups that are more "story" based. Something in the vein of what The Protomen did. I'm not entirely certain what kind of genre this would be or if it is, infact, a genre at all.

It does not have to be rock-based, though that would be a plus. Basically I'm just asking for Albums and Groups that I can listen to without feeling utterly creepy and embarrassed.

Sorry if this request offends or is somehow not looked kindly upon. This is my first time posting in NMD.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Urban Wizard posted:

Very broad request, but I'm looking to get into foreign music. Mostly French, Swedish, Russian, but anything else that's foreign and also good. I realized I have very few foreign language songs in my library, and I'd definitely like more. Not Japanese, unless the suggestion is for non j-poppy.

That is a broad request. Any specific genre, style or era of music? Less or well known?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

slowdave posted:

That is a broad request. Any specific genre, style or era of music? Less or well known?

I suppose any kind of electronic music for French, because I like a song by Fischerspooner that has French in it, and that's what reminded me to make this request. Otherwise, I like rock, metal, alternative, any kind of music. I think well-known would be better to start with, and more recent would be good as well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

killbomb posted:

I'm looking for some country music similar to Garth Brooks or Uncle Tupelo. I've never listened to this sort of music before, but I heard some on the radio and I want to hear more. I'm looking for songs about being drunk, sad, and unemployed. Songs about the depression will work as well.

Happy to help, just understand that what you asked is analogous to looking for "rap music similar to Puff Daddy and Public Enemy" -- they're only nominally the same kind of music, share few fans and once you get a perspective on the genre you'll quickly see the distinction.

If you want more like Garth Brooks, any of the major male pop-country artists who came to prominence in the '90s will do since they were all trying to replicate his massive commercial success -- Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, etc. Mainstream radio-friendly country is all done by the same for-hire songwriters, with the same glossy production, designed to appeal to as many of the same people as possible; you like one, you'll probably like the rest. But as you can probably tell from that description, this stuff is not held in high esteem by many music enthusiasts.

If you're looking for "songs about being drunk, sad, and unemployed", you should start with the titans -- Hank Williams (any compilation will do; none are exhaustive but 40 Greatest Hits is probably closest) and Johnny Cash (At Folsom Prison; the first of the Rick Rubin-produced American Recordings series is very strong and accessible). Billy Joe Shaver's Old Five and Dimers Like Me and I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal are excellent examples of what you describe. Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson are also essential.

Uncle Tupelo was among the pioneers of what came to be known as "alt-country", to distinguish it from the bullshit that gets called "country" today. All four Uncle Tupelo albums are worthwhile. Its two leads then fell out and split into Son Volt (start with the debut, Trace), which still sounds a lot like that, and Wilco, which has added a lot more influences. Others I'd recommend for an introduction include Drive-By Truckers, who often employ the sort of hard Southern rock sound similar to Uncle Tupelo's first two albums (Decoration Day to start), and Gillian Welch for downbeat folky stuff (probably Revival for "songs about the Depression" but any will do).

emminou
May 25, 2006

Urban Wizard posted:

I suppose any kind of electronic music for French, because I like a song by Fischerspooner that has French in it, and that's what reminded me to make this request.

Yelle is old news by now, but she has a fairly 80s French pop style you might like in that case. Indochine have been around since the 80s, style has changed a bit over the years - the link is from 2005, their earlier stuff sounds more like this. If you like that, check out Telephone possibly.

If you want French language, there's a lot of French rap like Keny Arkana, Psy4 de la Rime, Booba, Rohff, or IAM that you might like. Or you might like older stuff like Jacques Brel or Francis Cabrel or Edith Piaf obviously, which probably has the most stereotypically "French" sound - it's the kind of stuff you'd get if you picked up the average compilation of French music. Claude Francois's also worth checking out if you like that, he was a big deal yé-yé singer.

If you just want music from France, there's plenty of electronic music but that's not really something I know much about. French bands that sing in English that I like include Coming Soon The Do or Cocoon.

Just for kicks I'll also mention Henri Des who was a popular kids' musician in the 90s, he was awesome when I was growing up.

emminou fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 28, 2010

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Crono S. Magnum posted:

What I'm looking for are albums or groups that are more "story" based

Are you talking about concept albums, concept bands, or something else? I'm a little confused

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Hello all.

I'm looking to mature my tastes in Music after years of constant J-Rock and Pop. I still enjoy the occasional JAM Project song, but I feel I'm growing out of that phase.

What I'm looking for are albums or groups that are more "story" based. Something in the vein of what The Protomen did. I'm not entirely certain what kind of genre this would be or if it is, infact, a genre at all.

It does not have to be rock-based, though that would be a plus. Basically I'm just asking for Albums and Groups that I can listen to without feeling utterly creepy and embarrassed.

Sorry if this request offends or is somehow not looked kindly upon. This is my first time posting in NMD.

Lots of people are going to recc you Coheed and Rush, but what you REALLY need to check out is the album The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis. It's 100% the greatest prog-rock album ever made, it's got a narrative running through it, and the music loving rules.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Are you talking about concept albums, concept bands, or something else? I'm a little confused

I have no idea what either of those mean.

What I'm looking for is something almost like a Rock Opera I guess. Recognizable "characters" or themes that follow in a linear or non-linear progression throughout the Album in the manner of a Story.

Not sure if any of that made a lick of drat sense, but there ya go.

Dadjacket posted:

Lots of people are going to recc you Coheed and Rush, but what you REALLY need to check out is the album The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis. It's 100% the greatest prog-rock album ever made, it's got a narrative running through it, and the music loving rules.

Thanks. I'll check this out once I get a chance.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dadjacket posted:

That is the first time I have ever heard that album recommended to anyone. I thought you had to be introduced to it by stoner friends. Or in my case, friend's stoner dad.

If you are recommending Lamb Lies Down, then I am recommending 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', and 'Olias of Sunhillow'. Because if you are going to go 70's art rock, those should be on the list. I have no idea if they are accessible without drugs.

'Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' is awesome. It is amazing to hear how much alike Phil Collins and Peter Garbiel sound when they sing. It is even more amazing to think that Phil Collins was part of that album. It's kind of like if you found out Ke$ha was the bassist for P-Funk.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Crono S. Magnum posted:

What I'm looking for is something almost like a Rock Opera I guess. Recognizable "characters" or themes that follow in a linear or non-linear progression throughout the Album in the manner of a Story.

That is exactly what a concept album is :)

My favorite series of concept albums is The Dear Hunter's Acts 1-3. It's a proggish rock, much like The Protomen, tinged with a good dose of emo-poppiness (and I mean that in the most positive way I can) and a ragtime feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAjB3Hw248

the round at the end of this song is what got me hooked to the band, but there are a lot of standout moments that really flirt with musical perfection

The storyline is about a boy coming to age at the turn of the 20th century. He falls in and out of love with a prostitute and goes to fight in WWI. There are apparently going to be 3 more.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

reach42 posted:

That is exactly what a concept album is :)

Oh. Well then, chalk one up for new knowledge and coincidence!

I really like what I'm hearing in that track. I'll add that to the list alongside Lamb. :)

ascheapaschewinggum
May 27, 2010

i hate myself and want to zizek
I've been invited to play guitar in a band. They pretty much sound just like Rolo Tomassi to my ears. I want to have a good listen around to try and get a feel found the sound and the roots of the sound before I throw myself into this because I think I'm doing them at least a mild injustice by just comparing them to the one, fairly distinctive band.

I love it but it's not music that I know too much about. I can spot stuff like At The Drive-In and Genghis Tron that I've picked up from friends but I really don't know much. I need educating in that particular flavour of 'hardcore'.

Any suggestions?

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Crono S Magnum posted:

Lamb Lies Down is a good recommendation (though the narrative is confusing as gently caress and Discipline is the better prog rock album :colbert:), but Tales From Topographic Oceans is not. Nor is that other album that guy recommended. The first, at least, is definitely not what you're looking for. The second probably isn't because the only thing more ridiculous and overblown than Yes is a Yes solo project (and ELP, there's actually two things).
I'm also gonna recommend you go ahead and get Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell. It's overblown, too, but it's a lot of fun and sort of tongue-in-cheek. It was written by a guy named Jim Steinman, who was really big into musicals, so the whole thing kinda plays out like one.

Really, though, I'm wondering why, after years of listening to music in a completely different language, you think what you need to get into English-speaking music is a cohesive narrative?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm in a stage in my life right now where I feel really lost in what I want to do. I'm confused as to who I am and where my life is going. I'd like to listen to something that I can identify with in regards to these feelings. Sorry if I'm being vague, I'm not sure how to put what I'm feeling into words.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

I've been invited to play guitar in a band. They pretty much sound just like Rolo Tomassi to my ears. I want to have a good listen around to try and get a feel found the sound and the roots of the sound before I throw myself into this because I think I'm doing them at least a mild injustice by just comparing them to the one, fairly distinctive band.

I love it but it's not music that I know too much about. I can spot stuff like At The Drive-In and Genghis Tron that I've picked up from friends but I really don't know much. I need educating in that particular flavour of 'hardcore'.

Any suggestions?

Try mathcore. That's what Rolo Tomassi is. The main idea is technicality and odd rhythms. And lots of chromatic scales and discord. Number Twelve Looks Like You has a similar guitar style. If you're looking for more synth-driven stuff like Rolo, try HORSE the Band, Iwrestledabearonce, and even non-metal avant-garde groups like Fantomas, Melt Banana, The Locust, etc.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

blue squares posted:

I'm in a stage in my life right now where I feel really lost in what I want to do. I'm confused as to who I am and where my life is going. I'd like to listen to something that I can identify with in regards to these feelings. Sorry if I'm being vague, I'm not sure how to put what I'm feeling into words.

When I'm feeling like that Fever Ray really does the trick for me.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Bran Nuuu Tattttttt posted:

Really, though, I'm wondering why, after years of listening to music in a completely different language, you think what you need to get into English-speaking music is a cohesive narrative?

Not really sure myself. It was just something that really worked with me.

That and I figured it'd be a good stepping stone to use in looking for other groups with similar sounds to any that I like from these suggestions.

I'm gonna go ahead and check out Bat out of Hell once I get a chance. If you have any insight as to what other kinds of music I'd like, feel free to let me know.

My favorite song so far has been Keep Quiet from Protomen Act II.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking to find more music that's like the Daft Punk tracks from the Tron Legacy trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IpPpB3iWI]here[/url]

I believe the genre is called glitch but I really have no idea where to start or if I'm even right about that much. I like Daft Punk but I don't think this is their normal style so other artists on the label wouldn't work this time

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Moeru posted:

I'm looking to find more music that's like the Daft Punk tracks from the Tron Legacy trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IpPpB3iWI]here[/url]

I believe the genre is called glitch but I really have no idea where to start or if I'm even right about that much. I like Daft Punk but I don't think this is their normal style so other artists on the label wouldn't work this time

Are you sure you linked the right trailer because there's hardly any music in that one and even that background music in the end isn't what one could call glitch music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Crono some of Nine Inch Nails work I think are "concept songs" but the only "concept album" goign by a quick read of Wiki is Year Zero, which I've not listened to.

I'm looking for music similar to Cornelius, especially the track "Drop".