Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Karmine posted:

But wouldn't the talent themselves have to approve the buy out of the contracts? I dunno how all this works but I would imagine that the wrestlers would have at least SOME agency in it.

Not really. It's a company acquisition. The talent whose contracts were left behind were owned by Time Warner/AOL. The WWF did buy out a lot of contracts and then tell them to take a lesser WWF contract. If the WWF wasn't running XFL, wasn't so loving cheap and instead just bought the ones they needed out and went for it, managing the locker room instead of letting Undertaker manage the locker room, things would have been better organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Didn't Vince get WCW for a stupidly low price? Like, low enough that a well-to-do fan could have theoretically bought it? I always figured there must be something I was misunderstanding about that.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

This is why the Invasion was a loving failure. They poo poo away every possible dream match, made WCW look like complete bitches, signed all of their major talent AFTER the Invasion and put WWF talents on the WCW side.

The problem with the Invasion angle is that yes, with as little as ten minutes' thought we could all come up with rudimentary angles that would be better than what they did, but the egos on both sides (mostly the WWF side) wouldn't allow fair booking to occur. The mindset was, these motherfuckers tried to bankrupt us, and now we're getting our receipts.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Minidust posted:

Didn't Vince get WCW for a stupidly low price? Like, low enough that a well-to-do fan could have theoretically bought it? I always figured there must be something I was misunderstanding about that.

About 2 million.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Minidust posted:

$3 million. Low enough that if we sent the Wrestlicious dude back in time, he could get it. The problem is that there weren't any other buyers that could give them guaranteed TV time, so the WCW tape library and contracts and whatnot was deemed to be pretty worthless without TV in place.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

CVagts posted:

$3 million. Low enough that if we sent the Wrestlicious dude back in time, he could get it. The problem is that there weren't any other buyers that could give them guaranteed TV time, so the WCW tape library and contracts and whatnot was deemed to be pretty worthless without TV in place.

This is a stupid in retrospect, because the DVD market was exploding around the time WCW was bought. Without the big money contracts they probably could have held out doing house shows, and selling DVD sets until they could get a TV deal.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This is a stupid in retrospect, because the DVD market was exploding around the time WCW was bought. Without the big money contracts they probably could have held out doing house shows, and selling DVD sets until they could get a TV deal.

The problem was that I think only Bischoff and Vince were interested in it, and without TV, Bischoff didn't see any value in it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CVagts posted:

The problem was that I think only Bischoff and Vince were interested in it, and without TV, Bischoff didn't see any value in it.

Bischoff saw the value in it, but his backers in Fusient said, "No TV? No deal. No way we're investing eight figures in a property with no television agreement."

Then the price plummeted, and then Vince swooped in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it was just the final hammer blow in a long series of short-sighted, short-term planning - the tape library alone would have been worth who knows how many millions, as noted the DVD market was getting set to explode and anybody with a lick of sense could see that. Hell, even if they couldn't, surely they should have seen the value in home video compilations.

Also my understanding has always been that the top, top WCW guys didn't actually have contracts with WCW itself but Time-Warner? I recall reading something about how they weren't part of the sale of the company itself and the cost of buying them out would have been ludicrously high and caused TREMENDOUS tension/bad feelings in the WWF locker-room if failed, "poison" guys like Nash, Hall and Hogan came in on hugely inflated salaries - not to mention that very thing was one of the factors in WCW's eventual demise.

The benefit that all "fantasy bookers" have, whether it be Cornette doing a guest booking bit or fans sending in their e-mails to the Observer, is that the money/shareholders/liquidity/morale of employeesindependent contractors/egos of bought out talent etc are just malleable factors that fall into line with their vision.

I'm certainly not saying that the Invasion was handled the best it could be, because it sure as gently caress wasn't, just that a lot of the "common sense" ideas on how to improve it really aren't feasible.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was linked to a video of Abdullah the Butcher the other day, and it got me thinking about the current mandates on how WWE wrestlers should look to have a chance of getting pushed.

When was the last time a fat guy got pushed in WWE/F? Back in the day you had loads of guys in the mid- and sometime upper card that were big fat fatties (Bossman, Bigelow, Akeem, Yoko)... Sure most of them were never pushed to main event status but they still got decent pushes and feuded with main eventers. I suppose Big Daddy V got a decent monster push for a while, but the only reason he was in position to get that push was thanks to breaking into the company back when fatties had a spot on the roster. What other notable fatties has there been in recent memory?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beeswax posted:

I was linked to a video of Abdullah the Butcher the other day, and it got me thinking about the current mandates on how WWE wrestlers should look to have a chance of getting pushed.

When was the last time a fat guy got pushed in WWE/F? Back in the day you had loads of guys in the mid- and sometime upper card that were big fat fatties (Bossman, Bigelow, Akeem, Yoko)... Sure most of them were never pushed to main event status but they still got decent pushes and feuded with main eventers. I suppose Big Daddy V got a decent monster push for a while, but the only reason he was in position to get that push was thanks to breaking into the company back when fatties had a spot on the roster. What other notable fatties has there been in recent memory?

Closest recent new one would be Umaga.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Beeswax posted:

Mickie James.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

Closest recent new one would be Umaga.

Samoans don't count!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Daddy V's push was pretty baffling, since it seemed designed to make Punk look pretty bad.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beeswax posted:

Samoans don't count!

You mention Yokozuna in your original post. :colbert:

Seriously though, there really hasn't been many wrestlers recently that have been pushed or featured as Monsters because they are fat and overweight.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What about Mark Henry?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Beeswax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_rrP0j9yMU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

Was any card ever as subject to change as the GAB 2006?
Souled Out 2000?

Lone Rogue posted:

The loving worst, WORST thing and proof they planned to bury the whole thing was instead of waiting one goddamn week to do the Nitro/Raw split, and do it in ATLANTA GEORGIA, they did it in I believe Seattle where nobody gave a gently caress about WCW.
Tacoma. Seattle area, yeah. Nobody gave a gently caress but this guy. It was sad. People loving FREAKED OUT at me for cheering WCW. On the plus side I get to yell "WHO'S BETTA THAN KANYON!" and Kanyon and he yelled back "NOBODY!"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

Souled Out 2000?

Tacoma. Seattle area, yeah. Nobody gave a gently caress but this guy. It was sad. People loving FREAKED OUT at me for cheering WCW. On the plus side I get to yell "WHO'S BETTA THAN KANYON!" and Kanyon and he yelled back "NOBODY!"

As someone from Tacoma you can go straight to hell.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Can we NOT talk about the Invasion again? The same tired arguments and recaps seem to come up once a month here.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Can we NOT talk about the Invasion again? The same tired arguments and recaps seem to come up once a month here.

Yes, lets not talk about an important point in wrestling that was asked about in this thread.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

Yes, lets not talk about an important point in wrestling that was asked about in this thread.

Lets just make an Invasion thread.

Since this is the questions thread: why don't we make an Invasion thread?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

Lets just make an Invasion thread.

Since this is the questions thread: why don't we make an Invasion thread?

Because we can just throw it into the WCW Thread.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Sorry but the Invasion happened to WWE and all of us as well. :colbert:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So are we really gonna do an Invasion thread?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

KungFu Grip posted:

Pretty sure if you went back about 10 pages in this thread you'd find the same discussion and went back another 10 or so pages you'd find the same discussion etc.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Pretty sure if you went back about 10 pages in this thread you'd find the same discussion and went back another 10 or so pages you'd find the same discussion etc.

Its an eventual topic that gets brought up often because its an important part of Wrestling and people who weren't around for it get curious.

If it would please you I'd like to stop talking about the Invasion for now as we are the only ones talking about it and let this thread go on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well sure, what do YOU want to talk about? The weather? Bands we like? Girls that have broken our hearts? The Matrix? You ate any good books lately? I mean, we wouldnt want you to have to scroll past on-topic posts that you arent interested in or anything.

Someone asked a question that didnt deserve its own thread, so people are talking about it. In fact, much as it IS an often-discussed topic, I hadnt heard that much about Cornettes fantasy booking, so I found this discussion interesting.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Everyone is forgetting the best part of the Invasion.

Chuck and Billy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Have we reached Peak Finisher?

I mean think about it. In the last 30 years we have seen finishers progressing from floor-level leg drops and DDTs to corkscrew springboard 630s and Canadian Destroyers. There does not seem to be enough human physiology left to support another 20-30 years of that progression.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Soon, mainstream wrestling promotions will copy CZW's weed whacker finisher.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Meat Recital posted:

Soon, mainstream wrestling promotions will copy CZW's weed whacker finisher.

Jeff Hardy, motherfuckin' champion of.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

SiKboy posted:

Well sure, what do YOU want to talk about? The weather? Bands we like? Girls that have broken our hearts? The Matrix? You ate any good books lately? I mean, we wouldnt want you to have to scroll past on-topic posts that you arent interested in or anything.

Could someone tell me the story of the bearskin rug that's supposedly at Titan Towers? :allears:

(Echoing the 'who cares if someone is asking a repeat question?' sentiment. You sometimes learn or see new things...I liked the partial breakdown someone did of that Cornette video.)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Perdido posted:

Could someone tell me the story of the bearskin rug that's supposedly at Titan Towers? :allears:

Vince has a bearskin rug in his office. Something something Pat Patterson joke.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Perdido posted:

There is nothing more to the story than Vince has a bearskin rug in his office, upon which sexual favours are performed by young wrestlers who will do anything to be a star. Allegedly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

projecthalaxy posted:

Have we reached Peak Finisher?

I mean think about it. In the last 30 years we have seen finishers progressing from floor-level leg drops and DDTs to corkscrew springboard 630s and Canadian Destroyers. There does not seem to be enough human physiology left to support another 20-30 years of that progression.

We just go back to wrestlers who execute a move better than anyone else use that move as their finisher.

Right now, we're unquestionably in the "Fireman's Carry" era of WWE finishers.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Lone Rogue posted:

We just go back to wrestlers who execute a move better than anyone else use that move as their finisher.

Right now, we're unquestionably in the "Fireman's Carry" era of WWE finishers.

Cena with the Attitude Adjustment
Punk with Go 2 Sleep
Barrett with his...whip-slam thingy.

Who else?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

So are we really gonna do an Invasion thread?

I'll have an OP posted by tomorrow.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Umbra Dubium posted:

There is nothing more to the story than Vince has a bearskin rug in his office, upon which sexual favours are performed by young wrestlers who will do anything to be a star. Allegedly.

Wonder if Austin was there :P

Anywho, finishers don't have to evolve into nutso stuff. I always marked big for Monty Brown's Pounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ChampRamp posted:

Wonder if Austin was there :P

It's completely pure gossip and something I got from a guy who worked as a WWE writer. You can think he's complete BS or I am, but he said Austin and Vince were massive cokeheads.