Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Lone Rogue posted:

It's completely pure gossip and something I got from a guy who worked as a WWE writer. You can think he's complete BS or I am, but he said Austin and Vince were massive cokeheads.

There has to be something about the bearskin rug. Londrick mentioned it, Hall's mentioned it several times, among a couple others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Lone Rogue posted:

It's completely pure gossip and something I got from a guy who worked as a WWE writer. You can think he's complete BS or I am, but he said Austin and Vince were massive cokeheads.

Sorry to derail a little bit, but a good friend of mine grew up with Stone Cold's son. They'd go paintballing with him, ride around on his ATVs etc. One day Boy Austin took my friend into his dad's closet, moved some clothes out of the way and uncovered an insane amount of hash and blow. This must've been circa '01 or so, and I'm not positive how true it is, but there you have it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ChampRamp posted:

There has to be something about the bearskin rug. Londrick mentioned it, Hall's mentioned it several times, among a couple others.

It's a really nice rug.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

It's an inside joke. Something Awful has the GET OUT frog, the WWE backstage has Vince's bearskin rug.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Have we reached Peak Finisher?

I mean think about it. In the last 30 years we have seen finishers progressing from floor-level leg drops and DDTs to corkscrew springboard 630s and Canadian Destroyers. There does not seem to be enough human physiology left to support another 20-30 years of that progression.

WWE seems to be entering the age where the wrestler's realize their finisher is going to be a move they'll be using all-night every night. Jericho does the Codebreaker, Edge has the Spear, Shaemus the Pump Kick, R-Truth just debuted a finisher that's just a flying forearm smash.

Honestly, we're just coming out of the era of the "finisher that can come out of nowhere!" Starting with DDP and the Diamond Cutter, peaking with Austin and HBK, and ending appropriately with Orton.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Big, but not huge, man finisher: sto or uranage.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Triple-Kan posted:

WWE seems to be entering the age where the wrestler's realize their finisher is going to be a move they'll be using all-night every night. Jericho does the Codebreaker, Edge has the Spear, Shaemus the Pump Kick, R-Truth just debuted a finisher that's just a flying forearm smash.

Honestly, we're just coming out of the era of the "finisher that can come out of nowhere!" Starting with DDP and the Diamond Cutter, peaking with Austin and HBK, and ending appropriately with Orton.

all of those finishers you listed are finishers that "come out of nowhere"

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Triple-Kan posted:

WWE seems to be entering the age where the wrestler's realize their finisher is going to be a move they'll be using all-night every night.

I would hope they realise that finishers should be moves that don't take a toll on their bodies but still have a distinctive look.

The Backstabber is a bad choice, as evidenced by Carlito's little painkiller problem.

Cena's Attitude Adjuster is a move I'm confident he'll be able to pull off for many more years to come, since it doesn't involve any impact on his part.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Cena's Attitude Adjuster is a move I'm confident he'll be able to pull off for many more years to come, since it doesn't involve any impact on his part.

Every time I see him do that I think "Welp, his spine just broke/knees exploded," especially when he did it to both Big Show and Edge.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Shitty_Wok posted:

Every time I see him do that I think "Welp, his spine just broke/knees exploded," especially when he did it to both Big Show and Edge.

It's a pretty safe move for the most part - holding the guys on his shoulders isn't much worse than doing a barbell squat, which is pretty biomechanically sound. If anything it will be the little things about it that gently caress him up in the long run, like landing on his knees or some freak muscle tear.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Kentucky Shark posted:

It's a pretty safe move for the most part - holding the guys on his shoulders isn't much worse than doing a barbell squat, which is pretty biomechanically sound. If anything it will be the little things about it that gently caress him up in the long run, like landing on his knees or some freak muscle tear.

Or the dumb poo poo he does in the name of OVERCOMING THE ODDS like trying to do it to Big Show/2 people at once with an arm tied behind his back or some poo poo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The thing about finishers like the backstabber is that not only does it hurt both people involved in the long run (like when Carlito gave one to Jericho from a ladder) but it looks awkward and silly regardless.

There are so many submissions and safe finishers that could be used but are thrown aside because they've either been used in the past (sometimes distant past) or because they aren't 'new and exciting'. Its gotten to the point now where finishers look totally unconvincing - Jericho's codebreaker is a perfect example. If done right any finisher can look devastating but still be safe. Hell, Goldberg made a career out of suplexing people and fans ate it up like he was killing guys.

Edit: Two of my favorite new finishers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK4SwP1PAkc

Skippy's Backpack Stunner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orz-OXbK4NY

Wade Barrett's forward fireman's carry slam

Both seem devastating, but with enough practice and opponents knowing what the hell they are doing neither guy should take more impact than the typical body slam.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 29, 2010

Salt In The Wound
Oct 25, 2005

Hand Jobber Extraordinare

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hell, Goldberg made a career out of suplexing people and fans ate it up like he was killing guys.

That wasn't just any suplex, that was a Jackhammer

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Salt In The Wound posted:

That wasn't just any suplex, that was a Jackhammer

Indeed, but even though he botched it 90% of the time, his intensity made it seem like a crazy move and it's probably one of the first moves any up and coming wrestling learns. (Well, the typical vertical suplex version anyway)

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orz-OXbK4NY

Wade Barrett's forward fireman's carry slam

Both seem devastating, but with enough practice and opponents knowing what the hell they are doing neither guy should take more impact than the typical body slam.

I love how it's Danielson in both of these taking the moves hahaha

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I love how it's Danielson in both of these taking the moves hahaha

He makes them both look like a million bucks, too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Some finishers rely like 90% on the guy taking it in order to look good. Codebreaker is a victim of this as it almost always looks awkward. Most people just do the "bend over and fall back" sell for it, but they should really drop to their knees and pop to the side like a normal Stunner sell (Triple H is one of the only guys I've seen get it right).

Not trying to toot my "I'M A RASSLER" horn here but this .gif is convenient to post - I love the melodramatic sell of the move that my friend does at the end of the loop here. Feet all up in the air and everything:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Its gotten to the point now where finishers look totally unconvincing - Jericho's codebreaker is a perfect example. If done right any finisher can look devastating but still be safe. Hell, Goldberg made a career out of suplexing people and fans ate it up like he was killing guys.

Anything where you land straight down on your coccyx is going to mess you up in the long run. Even super-smart Hogan hosed himself up good that way.

Tangential point, is anyone a totally smart worker? Is there anybody that didn't do anything at all that will mess them up in the long run?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Theshby posted:

Anything where you land straight down on your coccyx is going to mess you up in the long run. Even super-smart Hogan hosed himself up good that way.

Tangential point, is anyone a totally smart worker? Is there anybody that didn't do anything at all that will mess them up in the long run?

The Rock comes to mind.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

reality_groove posted:

The Rock comes to mind.

Yeah, the floatover DDT is probably the most complicated move the guy uses, and he busted those out like every once in a blue moon.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
fandom question: What matches have you guys seen the most times?

I think I've seen Rock/Austin 2, Angle/HBK (WM21), Angle/Undertaker (NWO 06), and the Unbreakable 3-way all half a dozen times.

Also Benoit/Jordan from SS05 maybe about a hundred times in the last five years.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Web Jew.0 posted:

fandom question: What matches have you guys seen the most times?

I think I've seen Rock/Austin 2, Angle/HBK (WM21), Angle/Undertaker (NWO 06), and the Unbreakable 3-way all half a dozen times.

Also Benoit/Jordan from SS05 maybe about a hundred times in the last five years.

I still rewatch Undertaker/Mankind Hell in a Cell every now and then, but recently the Rey de Voladores Qualifier from last years King of Trios is rapidly catching up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIvDeoMkq4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

About the most high-risk thing JBL ever did was smoke cigars.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Timby posted:

About the most high-risk thing JBL ever did was smoke cigars.

I dunno, having unprotected sex with cruiserweights has to have some risk factor, right?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Pneub posted:

It's a really nice rug.

It really brings the room together.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jericho seems to have been almost totally injury-free despite his style and some of the more brutal matches he's had, the ladder match, HITC, Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank.

OK, I just realized that really wasn't answering the question that was asked, so I'll also go with Rock. Also, I don't think Hogan really ever took any huge risks for being the biggest star in the world.

Also, Ive probably seen Angle-Benoit from RR 03 close to ten times if not more.

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 29, 2010

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Technically I think Jericho broke his arm while wrestling in Japan or Mexico. Said so in his book.

Here's a question: After Cena, do you think anyone on the current roster will be the WWE poster child?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Orton is the franchise star of the future.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Theshby posted:

Well as you indirectly point out, even being a really smart worker will probably gently caress you up if you do it for long enough, Hogan being the best evidence. Yeah The Rock got out pretty injury-free, but he was an active wrestler for less than 10 years and really only was full-time for like 7 or 8 years.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I've seen Low Ki vs KENTA quite a few times, and I turn into a huge mark everytime.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

It really brings the room together.

I really want someone in Chikara to cut a classic two-guys-talk-one-guy-into-picking-a-fight promo in which they just paraphrase this scene. Especially if Delirious is Donny.

Gov. Marley
Mar 14, 2010
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8xmjt_lesnar-meets-cm-punk-and-mr-kennedy_sport

I wasn't watching wrestling in 2002 or most of 2003....why the gently caress was Punk there?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gov. Marley posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8xmjt_lesnar-meets-cm-punk-and-mr-kennedy_sport

I wasn't watching wrestling in 2002 or most of 2003....why the gently caress was Punk there?

he was a regular used chicago local guy and was given multiple tryouts, likely at the behest of Eddie and Rey.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Gov. Marley posted:

Rey and Eddie both worked in ROH in 02/03. Apparently, Eddie especially liked working with Punk and got WWE to use him whenever they could.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

George Kaplan posted:

I really want someone in Chikara to cut a classic two-guys-talk-one-guy-into-picking-a-fight promo in which they just paraphrase this scene. Especially if Delirious is Donny.

Bonus points if it's Two Gentlemen of Lebowski.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Spikeguy posted:

Here's a question: After Cena, do you think anyone on the current roster will be the WWE poster child?
Miz. He's being used for some promotional work already and knows how to work with the media due to his TV experience.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now do you mean he'll be a big star? Because I'm more wondering who the biz will be wrapped around, ala Hogan and Austin. Unless someone new pops up and just takes over, I'd say it would be Orton as well.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Spikeguy posted:

Funny how they're letting him use his real name, but making Bryan Danielson use a different name.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't think it'll be Orton, just because of his sometimes-bitchy interviews, his steroid history and his background with getting drummed out of the Army. He's not really the guy you want to have as your go-to media mouthpiece.

The Miz isn't a bad suggestion, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Ted DiBiase, Jr., evolve into that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

I don't think it'll be Orton, just because of his sometimes-bitchy interviews, his steroid history and his background with getting drummed out of the Army. He's not really the guy you want to have as your go-to media mouthpiece.

The Miz isn't a bad suggestion, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Ted DiBiase, Jr., evolve into that role.

It already is Orton. He signed a ten year contract recently and is now permanent main event status. It isn't 2006 anymore.