Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Somberbrero posted:

Is it wrong that I unironically enjoy eating at Denny's?

My wife likes Denny's. I'm not really a fan. I spent way too much time there

...in HIGH SCHOOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fillerbunny posted:

My wife likes Denny's. I'm not really a fan. I spent way too much time there

...in HIGH SCHOOL!

I totally read this as "My wife is like Denny's" and it is much better when read that way.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Sigma-X posted:

I totally read this as "My wife is like Denny's" and it is much better when read that way.

confirming that fillerbunny's wife happily services people around the clock

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Ashenai posted:

confirming that fillerbunny's wife happily services people around the clock

That wasn't really necessary. And besides, that would mean that you're drawing the conclusion that Denny's employees do anything "happily," which I really don't think is the case.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Nice Pete looks so honestly happy it scares me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It'd be hilarious if the chef at Dennies was the son of the man Nice Pete killed who served the bar when he kidnapped Philippe.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd be hilarious if the chef at Dennies was the son of the man Nice Pete killed who served the bar when he kidnapped Philippe.

The ice cream place? What's to say that Nice Pete killed him?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

King Nothing posted:

The ice cream place? What's to say that Nice Pete killed him?

Well, we didn't really see the result of that but Nice Pete doesn't really strike me as a leap and tumble hugging sort of fellow.

That arc itself was awesome though, with Roast Beef playing doom Tetris in his head stuck in a Traffic Jam. Time to read the archives.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CannonFodder posted:

The difference is this time he's not wearing just a tank top and tube socks.

At least I hope he's wearing more :ohdear:

Teodor...
He's not wearing anything more than the tank top :gonk:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jack Bandit posted:

Let's hope Steven doesn't work at this Denny's. Although he's strong he's far too nice to put up a fight. :ohdear:

YOU get the Achewood reference of the night. Gold star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, we didn't really see the result of that but Nice Pete doesn't really strike me as a leap and tumble hugging sort of fellow.

Man, if you took from that that Nice Pete killed the ice cream man...I don't even know if we're reading the same comic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Deathlove posted:

YOU get the Achewood reference of the night. Gold star!

Man, if you took from that that Nice Pete killed the ice cream man...I don't even know if we're reading the same comic.

Lets ask the man himself to settle this:

Onstad did Nice Pete Ice the Ice man?

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

No. I don't know how you came up with that.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I just went to the story arc and nothing that happens that remotely indicates that?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe I haven't read it in years, jerks. I'm going to look it up quickly now.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

This isn't Lost, you dinguses (dingii?).

Chris, why didn't you explain Walt?!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Three years too late with bloodychill presents, one of my favorite lines in Achewood to date:

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE RUNNING FROM?! THE DISEASE IS INSIDE OF YOU!

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Just got an email from amazon that Book 3 was delayed, again, until mid-October. Why must you toy with my heart, Onstad?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Three years too late with bloodychill presents, one of my favorite lines in Achewood to date:

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE RUNNING FROM?! THE DISEASE IS INSIDE OF YOU!

I still think that the inventor of the comic sans font is lucky to be alive.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
I'm trying to get a girl into Achewood, where's the best place to start? (she really likes Hark a Vagrant)

I sent a link to The Party story arc but I'm not sure if that's the best place.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Someone linked me to the first Cartilage Head arc, and I then proceeded to read it from start to current.

It might be more efficient to list out the story arcs, and then pick which ones you want to present to her from there.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
The great outdoor fight is where I started, and I think that story's more interesting than the party. Or start with Ray's company selling automotive ballsacks which leads into the GOF.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
You could start from the beginning :colbert:

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

You could start from the beginning :colbert:
Popular opinion for a long time has been that a new reader should not start at the beginning, and I agree. Way back at the start, it feels like Onstad was still figuring out his characters, the humor, and what he wanted to do with the strip. It's not that the early strips aren't enjoyable, but a new reader needs to read some of the more "getable" strips in order to grow accustomed to how Achewood does things. They need to get their "Achewood legs" just like a sailor needs to get his sea legs. Once they've done that, they can go back and get a fuller enjoyment of the very early stuff.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still think that the inventor of the comic sans font is lucky to be alive.

I can only forgive him because he never intended the font to be used outside of one application. Even then, he shouldn't have done it, but he clearly had no idea of the magnitude of what he was unleashing.
I'm a teacher and occasionally the lady in charge of special needs education sends round emails about things like how to help dyslexic students; one tip was that they find serif fonts harder to read (even harder to read?), so for worksheets and handouts we should use a sans serif font. This was fine by me until I read the end of the sentence, 'such as Comic Sans.'
Goddamnit, lady, they're dyslexic, that doesn't mean they have no TASTE.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

McGravin posted:

Popular opinion for a long time has been that a new reader should not start at the beginning, and I agree. Way back at the start, it feels like Onstad was still figuring out his characters, the humor, and what he wanted to do with the strip. It's not that the early strips aren't enjoyable, but a new reader needs to read some of the more "getable" strips in order to grow accustomed to how Achewood does things. They need to get their "Achewood legs" just like a sailor needs to get his sea legs. Once they've done that, they can go back and get a fuller enjoyment of the very early stuff.

Yeah I know. I just started from the beginning and I feel its the best place to start.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
My personal advice to all my friends has been to start at the very beginning, and read up to the end of The Party. By then you should know whether you like the style and humor and whatever. If you like it, you're in. It's worked three times so far, which a perfect record, but maybe I just have a Certain Type of People for friends.

I personally can never understand why folks recommend starting with CH or the GOF because the majority of Achewood isn't like those arcs at all. And the GOF, especially, has a deeper resonance if you've been through the archives and have a deeper feeling for Ray and Beef and their friendship.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yeah, I'd start at the beginning. Achewood doesn't really find its voice for the first 20 strips or so, but it stats becoming awesome pretty quickly after that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Never start at the beginning.

Start with the arc of Ray going to Hell, or Phillippe trying to find the brown couch.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

rotinaj posted:

Never start at the beginning.

Start with the arc of Ray going to Hell, or Phillippe trying to find the brown couch.

Brown couch might be a good bet since it introduces you to Phillipe and the strangeness in their life (I have airwolf)

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I don't get it, didn't all (or most) of you guys start at the beginning?

I did, and it's the way I fell in love with Achewood, which is why I'd suggest others start from the beginning too :confused:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ashenai posted:

I did, and it's the way I fell in love with Achewood, which is why I'd suggest others start from the beginning too :confused:

I started when someone linked me to the weed strip. I didn't "get" the strip until beefs marriage arc.

I want to get up IN Ya bab ay

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ashenai posted:

I started from the beginning but that was so many years ago now I don't even remember what was current then.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Ashenai posted:

I actually had about 3 false starts where I gained and lost interest. And then the 4th time I read through the entire archive in about 5 days.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

I started from the beginning but that was so many years ago now I don't even remember what was current then.

I came in right at the Great Outdoor Fight, but I read a couple of comics and I was like ok what's the significance of this one cat kicking dudes' asses at this other cat's behest and I started from the be-damned-ginning.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
I started at the beginning because THAT WAS ALL THERE WAS.
Well, I exaggerate, it had been going for a few months at least, but not for so long that starting at the beginning was in any way confusing. The changes in characterisation just grow on you gradually, and in time you accept that Mr Bear probably would not be unironically excited to see Flava Flav.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I was linked to the strip containing a triple colonoscopy, and zipped directly to the beginning and binged the archives in a weekend.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
A little bit before "The Party" is where I'd say. enough that you can sort of get into the idea of it, and then you jump into the party which has a lot of good characterization.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not gonna say GURLZ WONT LIEK IT because I know that's not a given, but in general I think the GOF has a more direct appeal to guys than girls.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Ashenai posted:

Nope. When I started reading it was pretty early on, I think around the wedding of Philippe and the flower and then Ultra Peanut came to visit. Only after that storyline got me thoroughly hooked did I go back to the very beginning of the archives and read it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like the garage sale. It's a relatable situation involving two of the main characters, it's only one page, and you get a sense of the writing style with the different dialects going on.

The dialects are the best part of Achewood to me. The way each character is defined by not just what they say, but how they say it. It reminds me of Pogo, and that is never a bad thing.