Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I just remembered this game the other day.

It was an edu-tainment game for the PC, I think it might of been made by Mecc? Anyway, I remember playing it when I was in 3rd/4th grade, so around 1995.

You played as this orange dog who ran around different levels and ate dog bones. Eat enough dog bones and you could go into these different buildings and answer math questions. Answer enough math questions and you get to go to the next level.

Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? I've never seen it referenced on the internet before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

It was an edu-tainment game for the PC, I think it might of been made by Mecc? Anyway, I remember playing it when I was in 3rd/4th grade, so around 1995.

You played as this orange dog who ran around different levels and ate dog bones. Eat enough dog bones and you could go into these different buildings and answer math questions. Answer enough math questions and you get to go to the next level.

Troggle Trouble Math probably.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande
Old, old PC game I could never get anywhere on. Had to be older than 1995. First-person perspective early-3D RPG/shooter thing. Some kind of cyberpunk setting where you were an agent sent against an evil syndicate in order to take it down, the entire game taking place in one of its facilities (no friendly town or mission control to go to). You had a silhouette of your body as your inventory and loadout screen, and I think when you took damage it showed up as red areas on the body silhouette, but I might be mistaken. Clicking on your wrist would bring up your watch, and you could use rudimentary psi powers by equipping this headband thing on your head area, and you found other pieces of cyberware gear you could equip in similar ways. You had to rest to recover your health, and the game's view area went to black covered with small twinkling white dots while you were sleeping, and you'd sleep until you were healed or an enemy came and woke you up. Time was very important, the first or one of the first missions involved you setting a bomb somewhere within a certain amount of time and getting away with enough time to spare, and I only ever managed to do that once, and died in the next area or next mission.

I don't remember much about it, like what the enemies looked like at all, but I'm sick as hell today and as I was drifting in and out of consciousness this morning the only thing running through my head was, for some reason, what the gently caress this cyberpunk RPG thing was with the watch and the bomb and the psi-headband and the paper doll you dragged equipment on to, and why I never got past the first mission.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Was it B.A.T. or B.A.T. II? It's cyberpunk and features a crude silhouette of your own body, as well as a weird wristwatch thing. They came out in 1990 and 1992.
But I never played it, so I don't know if it fits the rest of your description.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

chairface posted:

Sure it's not Actraiser 1? That didn't have a top-down spaceship dealie, but it did switch between side-scrolling action sequences and a SimCity type minigame.

That almost looks right, but I don't think that was it either. I have the feeling it's either some super obscure game or I'm just not remembering it correctly and I'm getting parts of two different games confused or something.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
mayhaps it was was mckids goon sire

Raibead
May 8, 2008
Alright this has been killing me the last few days. It was an old playstation one game I believe where one character (male) transformed into various monsters you came across in the game that gave you various abilities. The other character (female) used magic rings to cast spells. You only played through as one at a time but their stories intersected various times.

It was one of the first game I remember being really excited about and actually playing long enough to beat it. The name though absolutely escapes me at the moment. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Raibead posted:

Alright this has been killing me the last few days. It was an old playstation one game I believe where one character (male) transformed into various monsters you came across in the game that gave you various abilities. The other character (female) used magic rings to cast spells. You only played through as one at a time but their stories intersected various times.

Threads of Fate I think.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT
I vaguely remember some sort of RPG for the original playstation that I THINK had "dragon" in its title. I know it wasn't dragon warrior or dragonseeds, or anything like that. It apparently wasn't TOO popular, because I can't find much mention of it. It had more of a cartoony rather than realistic style, and had at least one section set in a castle and one section set in a mine.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
McKids?????

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

insanemonkeyflakes posted:

I vaguely remember some sort of RPG for the original playstation that I THINK had "dragon" in its title. I know it wasn't dragon warrior or dragonseeds, or anything like that. It apparently wasn't TOO popular, because I can't find much mention of it. It had more of a cartoony rather than realistic style, and had at least one section set in a castle and one section set in a mine.

Dragon Valor? http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197154-dragon-valor/images

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dragon Valor? http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197154-dragon-valor/images

No, it was 2D. From a raised, maybe isometric perspective, I think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It doesn't look like there's many other games with 'dragon' in the title that fit your criteria.

but... could it have possibly been Breath of Fire III? 2D, isometric, centered around dragons, started in a mine, but I don't remember many castles.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
McDragonkids????

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

Longshot, but just to be sure, it wasn't Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, was it? It doesn't have "dragon" in the title, but dragons are extremely important to the plot.

Raibead
May 8, 2008

Saint Septimus posted:

Threads of Fate I think.

That's the one. Thanks a lot. I had no idea it was made by Square :doh:. That does explain why I heard of it though and found it to be so awesome when I was younger. :)

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

It doesn't look like there's many other games with 'dragon' in the title that fit your criteria.

but... could it have possibly been Breath of Fire III? 2D, isometric, centered around dragons, started in a mine, but I don't remember many castles.

No, but judging from screenshots, these are both close, stylistically, to the game I am thinking of. I may have simply added dragon to the title in my mind, it's been more than a decade since I've played it, and I'm pretty sure I just rented it. When I said castle, I meant more like the kind of dungeon you'd find in a castle. Stone architecture and the like. In any case, I figured this was kind of a longshot, since I barely remember anything.

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

That almost looks right, but I don't think that was it either. I have the feeling it's either some super obscure game or I'm just not remembering it correctly and I'm getting parts of two different games confused or something.

I'm going to take a bit of a wild shot here, based on the idea that your memory of it is hazy enough to blur things together or even misremember the system... but the first thing that came to my mind was Herzog Zwei on the Mega Drive - although that doesn't play in separate parts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No, but judging from screenshots, these are both close, stylistically, to the game I am thinking of. I may have simply added dragon to the title in my mind, it's been more than a decade since I've played it, and I'm pretty sure I just rented it. When I said castle, I meant more like the kind of dungeon you'd find in a castle. Stone architecture and the like. In any case, I figured this was kind of a longshot, since I barely remember anything.

Well, could be the first Suikoden? Dragons did play a rather larger part in it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Breath of Fire IV?

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I'm trying to identify an older game for the PC. I think I was playing it somewhere between 1994 and 1997 but I honestly can't say when. It was a jigsaw puzzle type game, where you could say how many pieces you wanted each picture to have, except that all the pieces were squares. Also, all of the puzzles in the game were some sort of animated picture. One of the first ones was a rotating 3D cube, and another one was bouncing balls.

I thought I posted this question like 5 months ago but I looked and apparently I didn't, whoops!

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Gromit posted:

Was it B.A.T. or B.A.T. II? It's cyberpunk and features a crude silhouette of your own body, as well as a weird wristwatch thing. They came out in 1990 and 1992.
But I never played it, so I don't know if it fits the rest of your description.
No, it wasn't B.A.T., but looking up that game helped me find the game I was thinking of, the creatively-titled Corporation. I remembered always wondering why the hell your employee ID card said "dementia" on it, apparently it was the name of the studio that made it.

Too bad it's got such a generic title, otherwise it would have been easier to find.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Sounds like it could be Star Ocean 2, near the beginning of the game theres a mine, and then somewhat after that you visit a castle.

Foxkit
Feb 26, 2009

S is for sneaking missions. Can you see Snake sneaking?

The mine part reminds me of Alundra for the PSX, but other than that, I could only think of the Lufia games. I think there were a couple of those on the PSX as well.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Interactive fiction game. You play as a youth in an Indian tribe, I think you're kinda special somehow. Maybe you were a storyteller?

Was set on some kind of special night, stories were being told, and then some kind of interruption came. Pretty nonlinear, as I remember. Story could change depending on your actions.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

doctor iono posted:

Interactive fiction game. You play as a youth in an Indian tribe, I think you're kinda special somehow. Maybe you were a storyteller?

Was set on some kind of special night, stories were being told, and then some kind of interruption came. Pretty nonlinear, as I remember. Story could change depending on your actions.

Is it The Water Bird by chance? Do you remember when you might of played it or if it was a competition title? The premise sounds awesome and I'd like to play it myself.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Jive One posted:

Is it The Water Bird by chance? Do you remember when you might of played it or if it was a competition title? The premise sounds awesome and I'd like to play it myself.

Played through a bit of it, this wasn't what I remembered. This took place, I believe, exclusively at night, and the gameplay itself was pretty story- and dialogue- oriented.

Ack. I'd say I played it about two or so years ago, but it could have been made at any point. I'm not sure if it won any contests, but I think it was rather acclaimed amongst the IF crowd.

Edit: Played through it some more. Yeah, this definitely isn't it. :( Pretty cool, though.

Also, just a little more info: The "interruption" wasn't something along the lines of an unexpected family reunion. It was something that erupted in violence in like half the outcomes.

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 31, 2010

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!
This is super vague, and I never played this game, but rather read a review for it ages and ages ago and always wanted to play it, but...

I think around the time the PS2 came out (though I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the PS2... not positive, though) there was a game that came out about some kinda psychic guy. He could use various psychic abilities... pyrokinesis, hydrokinesis... I think he took drugs or something to amplify these things, but my memories are super hazy.

The game was obviously made by a Japanese company, as I remember the CG art had that almost Final Fantasy feel to the way it was rendered. Seemed like a pretty dark game, but like I said, my memories of it aren't the greatest because all I did as a kid was read the review.

It was rated M and thus was not something my mother would have let me play.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

deadselly posted:

This is super vague, and I never played this game, but rather read a review for it ages and ages ago and always wanted to play it, but...

I think around the time the PS2 came out (though I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the PS2... not positive, though) there was a game that came out about some kinda psychic guy. He could use various psychic abilities... pyrokinesis, hydrokinesis... I think he took drugs or something to amplify these things, but my memories are super hazy.

The game was obviously made by a Japanese company, as I remember the CG art had that almost Final Fantasy feel to the way it was rendered. Seemed like a pretty dark game, but like I said, my memories of it aren't the greatest because all I did as a kid was read the review.

It was rated M and thus was not something my mother would have let me play.

Sounds like Galerians.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
i'mma read the thread (might take a while) but i'm trying to remember the name of a SNES horizontal scrolling shooter, sort of an R-type/Gradius thing with a bit/option weapon that could be moved around the screen in a really awkward way. It had some pretty bangin' generic electronic music soundtrack too. All the enemies had that liefeld/geiger alien thing goin' on where they looked like boners and whatnot.

the manual had some silly blurb about the music making the pilots shoot better or something.

usualhandle fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 31, 2010

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
The game I'm looking for was a top down shooter for the Sega Genesis. You played as someone flying Pegasus and had to fly around and kill all the greek gods or something.

V V V Thats it! Perfect, thank you so much.

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 31, 2010

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

KillRoy posted:

The game I'm looking for was a top down shooter for the Sega Genesis. You played as someone flying Pegasus and had to fly around and kill all the greek gods or something.

Phelios.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
It literally came to me in a dream! BioMetal!

The wiki article has almost all the poo poo I talked about in it!

The music was all by 2 unlimited, which was awesome when I was a kid.

edit: it's even more awesome to realize because I kept trying to tell myself that the music for the second stage was "Get Ready for This", but I was all "nah, that can't be right", turns out it was!

usualhandle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 31, 2010

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
PSX 3D beat 'em up, top down camera I think, had 2 player co-op. Stages included a mall, air force base, navy base. The boss of the navy level had electricity based attacks I think. After some stages I think you got to choose between 2 stages to play next. For some reason I think one of the characters was a firefighter but I could be wrong. I know the game had a sequel that I never played. Oh and there was a gun (rocket launcher?) in the trunk of the car at the start of the first level.

Played this all the time when i was younger but I can't remember much else.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It was some 90's game- on the 32X or Sega CX, maybe- where you were a sheriff or something in a Wild West town and you were shooting werewolves and an occultist preacher or something. I think it might have been a lightgun game.

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!

Jedrick posted:

PSX 3D beat 'em up, top down camera I think, had 2 player co-op. Stages included a mall, air force base, navy base. The boss of the navy level had electricity based attacks I think. After some stages I think you got to choose between 2 stages to play next. For some reason I think one of the characters was a firefighter but I could be wrong. I know the game had a sequel that I never played. Oh and there was a gun (rocket launcher?) in the trunk of the car at the start of the first level.

Played this all the time when i was younger but I can't remember much else.

This sounds a lot like "Fighting Force" I can't comment on the actual specifics but PSX beat 'em ups were somewhat rare, and ones with sequels even rarer.

here's a link to a youtube showing the rocket launcher from the car at the beginning.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QTIbp7uXNTU#t=1m30s

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!

Pope Guilty posted:

It was some 90's game- on the 32X or Sega CX, maybe- where you were a sheriff or something in a Wild West town and you were shooting werewolves and an occultist preacher or something. I think it might have been a lightgun game.

The storyline sounds similar to a Playstation game "SilverLoad." It features you, as a cowboy fighting werewolves and various supernatural evils. I can't find any good videos of this game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cubear posted:

The storyline sounds similar to a Playstation game "SilverLoad." It features you, as a cowboy fighting werewolves and various supernatural evils. I can't find any good videos of this game.

GIS indicates that you're probably right. Thanks!

The Mime
Jan 21, 2008

ill get the moose back
This was a PC game from the early 1990s, I believe, and you play from a first-person perspective. I remember it playing a bit like Myst in its controls, but the graphics were like a cartoon. All I really remember about it is walking through a house and some dragon randomly showing up in certain rooms, which used to scare the poo poo out of me. I can't remember if it was chasing the player, but I do remember feeling rushed to get out of that house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!

Sounds like Galerians.

Your name is well-suited. Thank you muchly!

• Locked thread