Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Radio Nowhere posted:

If it's not in the op ask away! I'll admit I'm a nerd and read this whole thread before I posted, it was awesome to find other shortwave nerds under 50 :woop:

Haha, right on. I'm just glad to have found a hobby that isn't too ridiculously expensive to start on. (Unfortunately for my wallet, I see a ham radio/amatuer radio license in my not-too-distant future.) Like I said, I hit up Radio Shack today for wire. I put a 75m spool of wire up on the stairway from my basement to enhance reception. I also bought a 55m spool of wire for a "whenever else I need it" antenna. Just trying to figure out other ways of getting better reception in the basement townhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emjayelle
Sep 25, 2007
76 pages, and I've loved every single one. So I've been sitting here, for the last week, reading this thread from start to finish. Convincing myself that I'll be purchasing a SW radio at the end. Then it dawned on me. "Didn't I inherit something?"

When my grandfather died, the family attempted to offload all his crap onto me. Some of it I accepted out of politeness, (mismatched sets of cognac glasses that predate the Vietnam war, etc), some of it I accepted out of necessity, (washing machine, etc).

And some... some I demanded.

From what I've read about these radiograms, it's obviously a very limited receiver. I'm just interested to see what, if anything at all, I can pick up. The back of the unit is pretty much off, so I can see the valves, and the rest of the internals, but can't seem to work out where any sort of aerial goes. I pick up AM, but nothing but silence in that, "short wave band" area.

Regardless of what it does, it's a glorious piece of crap history, that my bitch lovely wife won't allow me to bring into the house.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

ifire posted:

Haha, right on. I'm just glad to have found a hobby that isn't too ridiculously expensive to start on. (Unfortunately for my wallet, I see a ham radio/amatuer radio license in my not-too-distant future.) Like I said, I hit up Radio Shack today for wire. I put a 75m spool of wire up on the stairway from my basement to enhance reception. I also bought a 55m spool of wire for a "whenever else I need it" antenna. Just trying to figure out other ways of getting better reception in the basement townhouse.

Try putting the wire outside with the end up in a tree. Get it outside and up high to improve reception.

emjayelle posted:

Sweet radio! Is there a socket or screw terminal to attach a wire antenna?

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 29, 2010

emjayelle
Sep 25, 2007
I did find a terminal inside the unit, so there is an aerial. I also spoke to my dad about it, he can remember being a kid listening to this thing, so that makes it 60+ years old. The good news, he can remember having all the other Italians come over to listen to news from Italy (this was in Sydney, Australia), plus he can remember picking up boats on it. The bad news is, I've killed it. It was working fine, then nothing. No power at all. I'm assuming it's nothing more than a dry joint. Has anyone had any sort of experience with these?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I haven't had internet access from home for a couple of weeks, but I'm glad to see that the move away from GBS hasn't killed the thread. Far from it, in fact. A week from today the thread celebrates its 3 year anniversary!

I've been going totally hog wild with the magnetic loop. I've been picking up poo poo I never thought possible. I copied a ham 2000 miles away doing 0.5 watt SSB QRP operation with a random wire. In-loving-sane!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Whoa. I just stumbled across something fun. At night when activity is high, plug the headphone jack or line-out from your shortwave radio into the microphone jack of your computer, download and start up the free program CWGet (decodes morse code audio into text), and hunt down some CW morse code broadcasts and see what's being said out there. The bands are absolutely PACKED with CW activity right now. Approximately 3000-3570KHz, 7000-7070KHz, and 14000-14070KHz are absolutely jammed with CW right now. Unfortunately, little shortwave radios like my Grundig G3 don't provide a mode that gives a narrow enough filter to very effectively capture CW without letting neighboring frequencies bleed in as well. For me, flipping the wide/narrow switch to narrow and running in SSB (usually USB) mode works best.

You'll also have to fiddle with the settings in CWGet to get it right. Having AutoThr, AutoGTM and AFC enabled seems to work for me much of the time. Turning AutoThr off and manually clicking where in the spectrum on the bottom that you want the program to watch for CW also works.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

emjayelle posted:

I did find a terminal inside the unit, so there is an aerial. I also spoke to my dad about it, he can remember being a kid listening to this thing, so that makes it 60+ years old. The good news, he can remember having all the other Italians come over to listen to news from Italy (this was in Sydney, Australia), plus he can remember picking up boats on it. The bad news is, I've killed it. It was working fine, then nothing. No power at all. I'm assuming it's nothing more than a dry joint. Has anyone had any sort of experience with these?

It may need a battery. My 1923 Type 60 radio is battery operated. I haven't even begun to go to hobby shops and ask about prices/availability, though.

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends

Catastrophe posted:

Whoa. I just stumbled across something fun. At night when activity is high, plug the headphone jack or line-out from your shortwave radio into the microphone jack of your computer, download and start up the free program CWGet (decodes morse code audio into text), and hunt down some CW morse code broadcasts and see what's being said out there. The bands are absolutely PACKED with CW activity right now. Approximately 3000-3570KHz, 7000-7070KHz, and 14000-14070KHz are absolutely jammed with CW right now. Unfortunately, little shortwave radios like my Grundig G3 don't provide a mode that gives a narrow enough filter to very effectively capture CW without letting neighboring frequencies bleed in as well. For me, flipping the wide/narrow switch to narrow and running in SSB (usually USB) mode works best.

You'll also have to fiddle with the settings in CWGet to get it right. Having AutoThr, AutoGTM and AFC enabled seems to work for me much of the time. Turning AutoThr off and manually clicking where in the spectrum on the bottom that you want the program to watch for CW also works.

What messages did you see?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Forget CWGet. Use FLDigi or Ham Radio Deluxe's Digital Master 780, you'll have access to a lot more than CW. :D

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Tomcat1944 posted:

What messages did you see?

Seems like a boatload of ham contesting is going on right now. I've just picked up CW from Germany, Connecticut, Belarus, Aruba, Latvia, Poland and Slovenia within a few minutes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

Seems like a boatload of ham contesting is going on right now. I've just picked up CW from Germany, Connecticut, Belarus, Aruba, Latvia, Poland and Slovenia within a few minutes.

This weekend is some CW (Morse code) contest among amateur radio operators (or hams). The goal is to make as many contacts as possible so communications are uber short and sweet. Basically a station throws out their callsign, someone responds, callsigns and locations are exchanged and everyone moves on to the next station. A contact may last no longer then 10 seconds. The distances you can hear during a contest is amazing but interesting conversations are non-existent.

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends
Do many of you guys collect QSLs? I would appreciate if you guys could post a few images of your cards

Having gone over the thread a bit I see that many of you collect QSLs. I still would enjoy some photos though :unsmith:

Tomcat1944 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 30, 2010

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
If anyone can give me a link where I can download some scary numbers stations tones like said in this thread from the CONET Project or wherever, I would highly appreciate it, I want to make it into a CD to scare people with. Thanks!

Lucid Smog
Dec 13, 2004
Easily understood air pollution.

Dassiell posted:

If anyone can give me a link where I can download some scary numbers stations tones like said in this thread from the CONET Project or wherever, I would highly appreciate it, I want to make it into a CD to scare people with. Thanks!

You mean like this link here which has all the stuff from the CONET project? (It's available to download for free.)

On another note, wouldn't it be sweet to have one (or a couple) of these?
http://espy.com/pdfs/TeamSENTINEL_DS.pdf
http://espy.com/pdfs/TeamSENTINEL_PO.pdf
http://espy.com/pdfs/TeamSOIGNE_DS.pdf

edit: also, I'm excited that we appear to be near the sunspot minima, so ioniospheric propagation has nowhere to go but up!

Lucid Smog fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 2, 2010

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
My wife and I have finally moved from the apartment to a townhouse and WOW what a difference in reception! What use to be bars of noise all across the shortwave spectrum is now barely a bar of noise on my Degen 1103. When a signal dips it no longer disappears behind hash but gets quieter. My shortwave listening has just improved threefold, almost makes the mortgage worth it! Helps I have a end unit which means I'll be stringing wires/verticals/loops soon enough!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Thanks to this thread (and the Numbers Stations thread in GBS) I ordered a G3 and it just came in today! Scanned a few frequencies, found a couple stations that were interesting and fun, then I found something else.

I'm at 4999 KHz and I can hear this clicking noise. Then every minute or so there's a male voice speaking something unidentifiable, followed by a loud beep and just more clicking. It seems to be most audible in USB Sync mode.

Any ideas? Its nowhere near as easy to pick up at 5000. My best guess is that I managed to find the Time Station.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SourceElement posted:

I managed to find the Time Station.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Anyone wanting a Grundig G5 really should call Radio Shack right now, they are clearing them out for $40. I called the local store and they ordered one for me from a different store. I should have it by Wednesday!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think my next receiver is going to be something with outlandish coverage like the Yaesu VR-5000 or a Winradio WR-G305e. I recently found out that those little FLO TV mobile television widget doodads transmit on old UHF frequencies, and it's gotten me to thinking about how difficult it would be to actually rx that kinda stuff. According to wikipedia, they use QPSK and 16QAM in their modulation, but I'm not sure how they all come together. It would be interesting find out if I could actually watch live TV through an audio-in jack.

I know it's not shortwave, but there's no VHF/UHF thread, so this is as good a place as any. There's tons more wacky stuff above 30MHz than there is below it, although most of it is pretty short-ranged.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Crossposting from the ham thread: Weird famous Russian station UVB-76, AKA "The Buzzer", has reportedly gone off the air. Who freakin' knows why or if it's significant, but man that's kinda spooky. Maybe it's having hardware issues? I don't have shortwave listening ability right now so I can't confirm.

e:

ifire posted:

Haha, right on. I'm just glad to have found a hobby that isn't too ridiculously expensive to start on.
heh :xd:

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 6, 2010

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

TC the Giant posted:

I think my next receiver is going to be something with outlandish coverage like the Yaesu VR-5000 or a Winradio WR-G305e.

Heck yes. I still want a VR-5000. Most of the complaints I see about them are the same complaints I saw about my VX-8R: "Too complicated." Lousy old farts can't figure out how these new-fangled gizmos work. I was going to pick up a VR-5000 until I decided "Screw that. I want to transmit, too." and picked the FT-817ND instead. I have a huge amount of wire and coax on its way to me and am going to construct a giant dipole antenna and see how far I can toss CW (morse code) at night with 2.5/5 Watts.

Yaesu 4 lyfe, yo.

TC the Giant posted:

I know it's not shortwave, but there's no VHF/UHF thread, so this is as good a place as any. There's tons more wacky stuff above 30MHz than there is below it, although most of it is pretty short-ranged.

Yeah, there are all kinds of crazy data broadcasts around here that I can pick up with the VX-8R's wide receive capabilities but I have no idea what they are or what to do with them.

Jose Pointero posted:

Crossposting from the ham thread: Weird famous Russian station UVB-76, AKA "The Buzzer", has reportedly gone off the air. Who freakin' knows why or if it's significant, but man that's kinda spooky. Maybe it's having hardware issues? I don't have shortwave listening ability right now so I can't confirm.

It's back up. Some people are still reporting that it's down simply because they can't pick it up but that's how shortwave works.. propagation is a tricky thing and many people will simply never hear it even if it is still broadcasting. I've never heard it even though I've tried at all hours of the night on multiple occasions in the past. But yeah, people who are close enough to pick it up are saying it's back up now. It must have been a piece of failed hardware that needed to be replaced or maybe just some maintenance.

EDIT: Proof it's back up. I just connected to an Icom radio in Germany and tuned to 4625KHz and our old buddy was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcErt5Y_3Ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcErt5Y_3Ho

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 7, 2010

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I got a stupid technical question. Moved into a new place and found one of these monstrosities in the attic.

Slightly bigger and with more parts sticking out.

Any use I can get out of this? Like get a alligator clip and hook it up to the antenna.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JammyLammy posted:

I got a stupid technical question. Moved into a new place and found one of these monstrosities in the attic.

Slightly bigger and with more parts sticking out.

Any use I can get out of this? Like get a alligator clip and hook it up to the antenna.
For shortwave, don't bother, it won't do much for you.

Hooked up to a scanner, however, with whatever coax might be attached, is something that you might find useful; you'll have to keep in mind that it's a directional antenna and will need to be pointed at whatever signals you want to listen to.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Finally found my first numbers station. I installed an eavesdropper antenna in my garage and I finally understand the appeal of this hobby. I pick up stations from all over the place now. Right now I'm listening to a Spanish number station on 5875 kHz and I couldn't be more excited.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I picked up my Grundig G5 last night for $40 from Radio Shack. I'll throw it out there again a steal if you can get it. The radio I got was obviously a floor model since the screen had a few scratches but otherwise works awesome. I compared it to my Degen 1103 and I would say it works 20% better, both in ergonomics and performance. I went in the backyard where the noisefloor is uber low and heard the usual cascade of foreign languages and music mixed with Christian kooks from the US stations. Trying out single sideband I caugh some amateur radio nets (I recommend the Maritime net on 14.300 evenings) and some transoceanic flight communications.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

Trying out single sideband I caugh some amateur radio nets (I recommend the Maritime net on 14.300 evenings)
FYI the Maritime Net on .300 is usually active during all daylight hours into the evening after dark.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?
Alright, which one of you guys keeps tuning all the receivers on GlobalTuners to The Buzzer? :colbert:

I'm trying to get my SW fix via internet receivers until I can get my hands on a G6. I need something to fill the void since my old VHF radio scanner died, and most of the city upgraded to digital tech anyway. I have a rather lovely analog-tuning SW portable, but it can't receive much other than a few Spanish stations and crazy preachers. I used to get more interesting stuff, but lately I lost a lot of my reception. I was really fascinated by that whole event with the Atencion numbers stations and the arrests of spies, it's really cool thinking about the fact that I actually listened to that station a few times.

The Buzzer is also pretty interesting. I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories, but is ionosphere research really so fascinating that it's worth maintaining a transmitter to bounce signals for over 20 years?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

SentinelXS posted:

The Buzzer is also pretty interesting. I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories, but is ionosphere research really so fascinating that it's worth maintaining a transmitter to bounce signals for over 20 years?

I wouldn't doubt if 'upper atmosphere research station' is the Russian equivalent of the US military's 'weather balloon/swamp gas'.

FAKE EDIT: In Soviet Russia, the ionosphere researches YOU.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

SentinelXS posted:

There was a series of writeups on eHam a few months back by KL7AJ entitled "Plasma Physics for the Radio Amateur"; it quickly becomes pretty obvious reading those articles that scientists know about 1/10 of 1% about the ionosphere and how it really works. It's definitely worth a read.

So, yes, there is plenty reason to bounce signals off the ionosphere for 20 years for research; it's just that it's obvious that the Russians are doing something else with it.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

I'm having a lot of fun with decoding CW using FLDigi. I was only finding CW contesting for a while, but right now I'm listening to a pretty interesting conversation. One of the people talking said, "You're like a distant friend to me, hope you have a nice weekend in spite of the weather forecast" :unsmith:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SentinelXS posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with decoding CW using FLDigi. I was only finding CW contesting for a while, but right now I'm listening to a pretty interesting conversation. One of the people talking said, "You're like a distant friend to me, hope you have a nice weekend in spite of the weather forecast" :unsmith:

Was their callsign listed in the goon ham thread? :ohdear:

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

I got a new multiband radio this morning from eBay, and I've been playing with the thing all day. The SW reception is actually really good, especially since I hooked up an external wire antenna. I get stations clearly that used to have heavy static on my tiny portable. I have a renewed interest in radio listening and I'm seriously thinking about buying a new VHF/UHF scanner to replace my broken one.

Tonight I found this around 4.6 MHz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FefC4lclKYs

Does anybody know what it is? Sounds like some kind of beacon, but I thought those were typically on longwave. It was near normal broadcast stations, so it scared me a bit because the tone is so loud.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

SentinelXS posted:

Tonight I found this around 4.6 MHz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FefC4lclKYs

Does anybody know what it is? Sounds like some kind of beacon, but I thought those were typically on longwave. It was near normal broadcast stations, so it scared me a bit because the tone is so loud.

It sounds like CODAR to me. An explanation of what it's for is HERE and people bitching about the interference can be found HERE.

When I was living in Jersey I used to pick that poo poo up all the time. It let me know my radio was working at least.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

BigHustle posted:

It sounds like CODAR to me. An explanation of what it's for is HERE and people bitching about the interference can be found HERE.

When I was living in Jersey I used to pick that poo poo up all the time. It let me know my radio was working at least.

That could be it. The frequencies used by CODAR are within the range I was picking up odd noises on. I live on the east coast so that might explain why it comes in so loud and clear. All of the other repeating tones I pick up are much quieter with more interference. Other than that, I haven't been able to find any major oddities, just some conspiracy theorists discussing how the BP oil rig disaster was orchestrated by the New World Order.

The multiband radio is enough to hold me over until I can save up for a brand new digitally tuned radio with SSB and all the goodies. The nice thing about it is that it also covers CB and VHF air band. I managed to listen to a few exchanges between truckers and also heard some pilots talking to ATC. I just remembered that my uncle has a vintage Hallicrafters vacuum tube SW radio laying around, I need to ask him if it's still working. It would be a lot of fun to play with.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

SentinelXS posted:

That could be it. The frequencies used by CODAR are within the range I was picking up odd noises on. I live on the east coast so that might explain why it comes in so loud and clear. All of the other repeating tones I pick up are much quieter with more interference. Other than that, I haven't been able to find any major oddities, just some conspiracy theorists discussing how the BP oil rig disaster was orchestrated by the New World Order.

The multiband radio is enough to hold me over until I can save up for a brand new digitally tuned radio with SSB and all the goodies. The nice thing about it is that it also covers CB and VHF air band. I managed to listen to a few exchanges between truckers and also heard some pilots talking to ATC. I just remembered that my uncle has a vintage Hallicrafters vacuum tube SW radio laying around, I need to ask him if it's still working. It would be a lot of fun to play with.

When I was in Jersey CODAR was very easy to pick up. It never really interfered with my listening, since I was mainly sticking to the regular shortwave bands and laughing at the insane preachers.

I've got a Grundig G6 and have some issues with FM radio stations bleeding over into the air bands. I need to bust it out and see if it's as big an issue now that I'm in a less dense area.

Oh... If that Hallicrafters rig isn't working and you feel like tackling it as a repair project, you can find a ton of schematics and other help online. If you can try the forums over at QRZ.com, they have a section dedicated to helping people fix boatanchors.

Rev Quackers
Oct 28, 2007

Wait, are those Pineapple Margaritas?!? Ducks FUCKING LOVE Margaritas! They're practicality our favorite things ever!

Catastrophe posted:

The bands are absolutely PACKED with CW activity right now. Approximately 3000-3570KHz, 7000-7070KHz, and 14000-14070KHz are absolutely jammed with CW right now.

You might want to check out http://www.hamqsl.com/solar.html Check on the left side and you can see what bands are doing well right now

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

BigHustle posted:

Oh... If that Hallicrafters rig isn't working and you feel like tackling it as a repair project, you can find a ton of schematics and other help online. If you can try the forums over at QRZ.com, they have a section dedicated to helping people fix boatanchors.

I picked up the thing today. It's an S-38A, and the S-38 series seems to be extremely popular with radio collectors. It barely receives a few stations and definitely needs work. I've been doing some research and might give repairing a go since the radio was free and I'm not too worried about killing it. As has been said before, there's something special about playing with these old radios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ghb48DyITo

One thing that's obvious in the video is the infamous 60 Hz hum that plagues old audio equipment. Gonna have to replace the caps, they all seem to be the stock ones and look pretty bad.

SentinelXS fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 26, 2010

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

SentinelXS posted:

I picked up the thing today. It's an S-38A, and the S-38 series seems to be extremely popular with radio collectors. It barely receives a few stations and definitely needs work. I've been doing some research and might give repairing a go since the radio was free and I'm not too worried about killing it. As has been said before, there's something special about playing with these old radios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ghb48DyITo

One thing that's obvious in the video is the infamous 60 Hz hum that plagues old audio equipment. Gonna have to replace the caps, they all seem to be the stock ones and look pretty bad.

Good deal! Check out this dude's page for restoration info. There's also this dude if you get frustrated and just want to pay someone to fix it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

For those who didn't see this:

quote:

http://monitor-post.blogspot.com/2010/06/revolution-in-scanning-is-coming.html
Uniden Releases a New Revolutionary Scanner
by Larry Van Horn, MT Assistant Editor

Fort Worth, Texas -- A major revolution in our hobby is on the way and it will forever change the very nature of the scanner radio hobby. Today, June 26, 2010, Uniden America held an open house here at their corporate offices in Fort Worth, Texas, for the public and the media. At this open house they unveiled a new revolutionary scanner called the "HomePatrol."

So what is so revolutionary about this new scanner? Simply put, it is simplicity! There has never been one like it before. To say that it will be easy to program by the user is to totally understate the facts.

The only thing you will need to know to program a "HomePatrol" scanner is – wait for it – the Zip Code where you are currently located. Yes, you punch in your zip code on the LCD touch screen, press enter, and you will instantly start hearing local scanner communications (conventional and trunked, analog and digital). No other operator interface is needed and it is truly just that simple.

Maybe you don't want to monitor civilian or military air comms that got loaded when you punched in your zip code, just police, fire and EMS. No problem: touch the screen to set up what you want to hear and it is done. No banks, no systems, no groups, no programming of frequencies: your location is all you need to get you started. And did I mention that all the controls for this scanner is via a full color touch screen?

If you are traveling and you have a GPS, plug that puppy into the "HomePatrol" scanner and it will ensure that your unit has up-to-date frequencies for the area you are traveling in. You don't have to do anything except to make sure that the GPS is working and plugged into the "HomePatrol." Of course you will have to supply the GPS unit since it is not included with the "HomePatrol" scanner.

That is why I think that the Uniden "HomePatrol" has the potential to create a major revolution in the scanner world.

Since the unveiling is still taking place as this is being posted, the full details and specs are not yet available. I will be bringing a test unit home from Fort Worth and will be conducting a full blown MT First Look review of the "HomePatrol." I will also post some of my first impressions on the "HomePatrol" scanner on the Monitoring Times website at http://www.monitoringtimes.com or on my personal blog, the BTown Monitoring Post at http://monitor-post.blogspot.com. You can also check out a new website that Uniden has setup for their new unit at http://www.homepatrol.com/ for everything "HomePatrol."

We will have a full detailed First Look review of this revolutionary new scanner in the October issue of Monitoring Times magazine, but check back here for future updates.
I seem to remember another unit that was introduced many (10+) years ago doing a similar thing, although on a much more limited scale; the main gimmick of that idea was that it had a little display screen that would show things like traffic alerts and warnings of upcoming construction that would be transmitted by public safety and highway crews in the vicinity. That was a good idea, just not practical given technology at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

You guys have really made me want to get a SW radio. Been deciding over the G3 and G6. Be honest, would I be super pissed that I can't listen to ham guys if it's my first ever foray into the weird rear end radio world? I know it's only an extra $50 for SSB, but still. What do you think?

• Locked thread