Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bloody August posted:

Canon mug came in yesterday! :neckbeard:

Do all the 70-200 mugs have the sticker, and is yours slightly crooked, or is that just the angle playing a trick on me.

e: It looks like, after doing a little googling, a lot of the chinese knock off ones have a sticker focus window, which is what I want to avoid.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bloody August posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry, didn't mean to give you cancer bro. Next time I'll move my ashtray out of the frame so nobody else has to suffer.

The mug itself actually says 1:4 (the box doesn't specify), but given the amount of people who think the ratio means "f/1.4" on a lens, I'm not surprised that it would be described as such.

I just looked at the actual mug, and you're right...it's a mundane 70-200 f/4. Pfft. I wouldn't own such a thing. Pedestrian.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Where can I get one of those?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

a foolish pianist posted:

Where can I get one of those?

I ordered mine by emailing info@simonscameras.com and asking for one. I was on a wait list for 2 months and got notified they shipped this week. Bloody, is that the same shop you got yours from?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

quick game of identify the camera:

Someone posted this on CL saying it's kodak and knows nothing else. Selling it for $30. Is it a Brownie? What film would it shoot?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Looks like a Vest Pocket Hawk-eye Autographic. If so, it would take 127 roll film.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

That's what I was worried about - I'm not going to want to respool or shave down 120 spools. Forget it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's time for another round of What Would You Take? I'm going to spend a few days hiking around around Huashan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hua. What gear would you take? I have available:
5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

Major considerations are weight, bulk, and obviously taking pictures.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

spf3million posted:

It's time for another round of What Would You Take? I'm going to spend a few days hiking around around Huashan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hua. What gear would you take? I have available:
5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

For weight and bulk:

Xsi
Sigma 10-20
Canon 135/2
Get a walking stick that has monopod camera mount.

For real.:

I would take everything and stuff it in my KATA HB-207 pack and have room to spare. Also the walking stick.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Pablo Bluth posted:

:britain: goons:
Storyville : Killer Image - Shooting Robert King
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sjdmt/Storyville_20092010_Killer_Image_Shooting_Robert_King/
Thanks a lot for the heads up about this!

I enjoyed it. Pretty much a textbook example of how experiences like those change you over time. You can really see the progression (good and bad) and toll seeing war up close took on him emotionally.

If you liked War Photographer this would be right up your alley although it's more about the person than his photographs and how he worked for them.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

torgeaux posted:

I just looked at the actual mug, and you're right...it's a mundane 70-200 f/4. Pfft. I wouldn't own such a thing. Pedestrian.

I'd love to see a mug of this one. It's already kind of got a handle on it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I'd love to see a mug of this one. It's already kind of got a handle on it.

Forget that, we need one of these; it has two handles :cool:

Never run out of coffee again.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I ordered mine by emailing info@simonscameras.com and asking for one. I was on a wait list for 2 months and got notified they shipped this week. Bloody, is that the same shop you got yours from?

Nope, I got mine through McBain Camera here in Edmonton. We had about 360 preorders and barely managed to fill them all. It also took about 2 months for ours to ship.

Engine Skull fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 28, 2010

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Forget that, we need one of these; it has two handles :cool:

Never run out of coffee again.

jesus that'd be perfect for the newsroom on deadline nights

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dakana posted:

jesus that'd be perfect for the newsroom on deadline nights

In more way than one.

"Jones! There's a hostage situation at 3rd and Main! I need photos, stat!"

"On it, chief!"

*runs upstairs to the roof, runs back down 5 minutes later*

"Got it!"

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010

squidflakes posted:

Looks like a Vest Pocket Hawk-eye Autographic. If so, it would take 127 roll film.

It's a Jiffy II, takes 620. :eng101:

It's definitely not worth the $30. With only a doublet lens, two focus positions, and one shutter speed it barely competes with other $15-$25 folders.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spf3million posted:

5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

You could not talk me out of taking the 5dii, weight or not weight. I'd take it, the 35 and the 135, and tripod.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

torgeaux posted:

You could not talk me out of taking the 5dii, weight or not weight. I'd take it, the 35 and the 135, and tripod.

I'd probably do this, but consider swapping the tripod for the 10-20. I don't know about your shooting style, but I bet I'd have a lot of fun going super wide in a situation like that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It'd be more logical to take the 50 instead of the 35.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I think I'd rather go 5d2 and 35 and a walking stick. Maybe throw the nifty fifty in your pocket. The 10-20 seems nice, but it could be too specialized. It'd be great with the XSi for a great wide shot to begin with, but it can be too wide for lots of shots. Do you have a bag like a lowepro slingshot? Even the Slingshot 100 is big enough for the 5d2, 35, 50 and 135 and would be highly versatile. That's what I would do with that gear setup. Also the slingshot can be strapped down tight enough for sports like hiking or downhill skiing*.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
Saw these on Flickr. The guy was shooting some dog surfing event.

flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/4634788888/

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
definitive proof photo vests are ... [fill in the blank]

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

definitive proof photo vests are ... [fill in the blank]

[for guys with big wangs look at that bulge]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

scottch posted:

[for guys with big wangs look at that bulge]

There's probably just another lens down there.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Nondo posted:

I hate these OEM straps on pro-bodies with heavy zooms/primes. They really dig into your neck, and IMO there's no good reason to use one unless you want to broadcast your brand to the world. With heavy lenses they are really terrible. See how the strap in the first one is curling because it's at an angle? That is a pressure point of pain right there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate that guy just out of jealousy. I hope his cameras all fall into the surf.

But I really want that D3 :3:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Canon AND Nikon on the same photovest?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

spog posted:

Canon AND Nikon on the same photovest?

I'm voting for rented gear. Either that or he really does have too much money to blow.

edit: surely there wasn't a whole lot of photo competition for a dog surfing contest, I wonder if his work is up somewhere. I'd love to see what he actually photographed and with what body.
edit2: wow, okay apparently dog surfing is quite a bit more popular than I expected. I'd still like to see his work though.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 29, 2010

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE

Martytoof posted:

I hate that guy just out of jealousy. I hope his cameras all fall into the surf.

But I really want that D3 :3:

Haha, he did fall. Read the first few comments.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Holding the lens like that? Definitely not a pro :colbert:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If he was a pro he'd have at least one black rapid.

eugh, such a waste.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Getting one of these stickers printed for my camera :smug:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Nondo posted:

I'm sorry but that is just the type of person who pisses me off. There is no need to have that much gear strapped around your neck, especially not for a "dog surfing event."

The guy who I met with today to buy a new body brought his bag of gear and had at least seven or eight L series lenses and not just a 1D Mark IV, but also TWO 5d mk2's. What type of photography does he do you may ask? Hobbyist bird photographer. I just don't get it.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want a vest like that.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

No one should ever want a vest like that.

Who wears all khaki clothing like that anyways? No one should ever wear all khaki like that either. Maybe if you're going on a safari.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Steve Irwin.

Quadratica!
Oct 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
I hope he at least had fun. Even with just one body I sometimes find myself completely missing out on the moment by staring through a viewfinder constantly.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Whole lotta shriveling camera peen up in here :laugh:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

pwn posted:

Whole lotta shriveling camera peen up in here :laugh:

Uh oh! Guy in the pictures found! ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I know a guy that just bought a 1DMkIV, an upgrade from a 1DMkIII. To say that his photography is middle-of-the-road would be generous.