Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Meow Cadet posted:

Unless she has 'special needs' she ought to be just fine. I like to leave out extra blankets in case the cats get cold, and the hall light on so they have a bit of light. You might want to either close bedroom doors, or make sure they are propped open so she doesn't accidentally lock her self away from food/water/litter.

I take 3-5 pound hand weights and set them in the doorways right up against the frames so the doors can't slam shut. It's a great tip and one that get's overlooked.
I also add water dishes in the event one gets knocked over. (I have multiples as it is) I have a gravity feeder but it seems like the food doesn't actually ever fall down on it's own, so I place extra food dishes out also. 48 hours isn't that long and everything should be fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I posted about a page ago about my dog suddenly starting to resist bedtime... I thought it was just exercise (with it being too hot to really get as much as she usually does) but now I'm not sure. After I posted that I decided to try running with her at night after work, when it's cooler. The first night we did it she went to bed quietly, but last night even after running 2 miles (on top of her usual walks and dog park time) she was still whining and barking after I left her in her crate. Again I waited for her to be silent 10-20 seconds, then let her outside for a minute (she did pee a tiny amount), then put her back. And tonight, even after playing so hard at the dog park (it's a lot cooler today) that she was basically an unresponsive lump the rest of the day, she's doing it again! Argh! I do not want to be up at 12:30 am re-crate training my dog! What's going on and what can I do to fix it?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
My older dog likes to lick my younger dog's eyes and ears. What's up with that? Both female if it matters. Also, the younger one doesn't like to lay on my bed with me while I'm awake, but she's always there when I wake up. The older dog gives no gently caress. Is there a reason for that?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
i wanted to take my cat for walks but a quick google search gives a few results that warn against it. agree/disagree?

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
my sister has a pet rabbit that's a few months old, not exactly sure how old, unneutered male. She has a 3 year old son who rubbed the rabbit when he had something sticky on his hands, therefore getting sticky stuff on the rabbit. My sister went out and bought rabbit shampoo or w/e and gave bunny a bath after reading stuff about bathing rabbits online. She dried him to the best of her ability and then left him to do his 'hair straightening'. Well, it's a day and a half later and he's now completely dry but still trying to straighten the hair on his back. He's been doing it so much that he pulled out a patch of fur about the side of the top of a soda can (a bit smaller but still). Should he be taken to the vet to be checked for mites? I mean, that seems weird after washing with an anti-insect shampoo. Obviously something in the bath irritated him, but the rest of his skin looks fine and he doesn't have hives/bumps/anything.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Fatty Patty posted:

my sister has a pet rabbit that's a few months old, not exactly sure how old, unneutered male. She has a 3 year old son who rubbed the rabbit when he had something sticky on his hands, therefore getting sticky stuff on the rabbit. My sister went out and bought rabbit shampoo or w/e and gave bunny a bath after reading stuff about bathing rabbits online. She dried him to the best of her ability and then left him to do his 'hair straightening'. Well, it's a day and a half later and he's now completely dry but still trying to straighten the hair on his back. He's been doing it so much that he pulled out a patch of fur about the side of the top of a soda can (a bit smaller but still). Should he be taken to the vet to be checked for mites? I mean, that seems weird after washing with an anti-insect shampoo. Obviously something in the bath irritated him, but the rest of his skin looks fine and he doesn't have hives/bumps/anything.

If it had "anti-insect" stuff in it, it's not appropriate for rabbits, and he'll probably need to go to the vet.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Longpig posted:

I posted about a page ago about my dog suddenly starting to resist bedtime... I thought it was just exercise (with it being too hot to really get as much as she usually does) but now I'm not sure. After I posted that I decided to try running with her at night after work, when it's cooler. The first night we did it she went to bed quietly, but last night even after running 2 miles (on top of her usual walks and dog park time) she was still whining and barking after I left her in her crate. Again I waited for her to be silent 10-20 seconds, then let her outside for a minute (she did pee a tiny amount), then put her back. And tonight, even after playing so hard at the dog park (it's a lot cooler today) that she was basically an unresponsive lump the rest of the day, she's doing it again! Argh! I do not want to be up at 12:30 am re-crate training my dog! What's going on and what can I do to fix it?

I forget, how old is your dog, now? She's old enough to hold it overnight after you take her out, right? Thing of it is, so long as she's been exercised and taken out, you're probably retraining her that crying gets her out. :/ Think about it, every time she whines like that, even if she has to be quiet RIGHT before going out, she's still getting out. I think it's time to suck it up and start ignoring her again. Couple nights of that and she'll figure out that she doesn't get any second chances!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Longpig posted:

Recently my dog started doing something similar: she would wake up about an hour before the rest of the house and bark -- it was high pitched and constant. I would yell from my bed for her to shut up, and she would, but often would start up again 20 minutes later. I tried ignoring her to try not to reinforce the behaviour, but it's awfully hard when you really really want that extra hour of sleep. What I ended up doing last week which seems to have had an effect is to cover the sides of the crate with a blanket. Now my dog stays quiet until she's let out in the morning.

I'm not sure it'd work for you, but it might be worth a try. Otherwise, ignore her when she's acting up. Don't bother waiting the 10-20 seconds. Your dog's a border collie mix, and therefore smarter than you are and she knows how to get what she wants despite the wait. Is she crated during the day? You might want to start doing that for a few hours so she's most accustomed to being put away.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Thanks for the replies. She's 2, and yeah, she is crated about 4-5 hours most days (and the crate already has a blanket over it).

I think I knew that you guys were going to tell me to just suck it up but I was hoping there would be something else I could try (soft music? doggie valium? :v: ) - we have neighbours downstairs who aren't going to be fans of Barkfest 2010. :/

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

faarcyde posted:

i wanted to take my cat for walks but a quick google search gives a few results that warn against it. agree/disagree?

Several people here do it, although it's more like taking their cats for a "wander aimlessly in the garden smelling things and trying to eat grass" than a "walk." Make sure you get him a harness he can't wriggle out of. It'll probably take him a while to get used to it, so I hear you can have him just wear it around the house till he stops being such a bitch about it. Some cats hate and fear the outside; others might start to want to get out more if they get used to it and see all the cool stuff out there. It's up to you how to manage it and whether the risk of your cat getting a taste for the outdoors is worth it. If you do take him on walks, don't let him near other cats because they might be unvaccinated, flea-ridden or worse. Plus they'll probably get riled up.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
ahhhhhhhhhhh double post quick here's a pic of my cat

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
One thing to think about, faarcyde, is that once your cat gets a taste of the big outdoors, she'll want more. After my cat's first walk, she realized how terrible indoor-only is, and now she tries to sneak out all the time.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
I have a 2 year old cat that has been having an eye problem.

Last night I got home at around 11:00pm, and I was grabbing my cat to go upstairs and go to bed. I noticed his right eye was shut all the time. I pulled it open gently, but all I could see was the 3rd eyelid. I decided to wait about 24 hours (that's what a few website suggested) before going to the vet. This morning, his eye is still closed and had a little mucus on it. I wiped it off. He will open his right eye a very small amount for short glances, but that is about it. Did he maybe get litterbox grain in his eye? When I got back last night he was just jumping out of the litterbox.

Here is my baby Locke <3

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Rodent Mortician posted:

If it had "anti-insect" stuff in it, it's not appropriate for rabbits, and he'll probably need to go to the vet.

let me correct myself because apparently I was wrong. She used this stuff on him: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753363&lmdn=Pet+Type The Squeaky Clean kind. She thought it had insecticide in it but it apparently does not.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ShadowCat posted:

I have a 2 year old cat that has been having an eye problem.

Last night I got home at around 11:00pm, and I was grabbing my cat to go upstairs and go to bed. I noticed his right eye was shut all the time. I pulled it open gently, but all I could see was the 3rd eyelid. I decided to wait about 24 hours (that's what a few website suggested) before going to the vet. This morning, his eye is still closed and had a little mucus on it. I wiped it off. He will open his right eye a very small amount for short glances, but that is about it. Did he maybe get litterbox grain in his eye? When I got back last night he was just jumping out of the litterbox.

Vet time. He might have an infection. It is not probably an emergency go in the middle of the night thing, but you should take him as soon as you can.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Longpig posted:

Thanks for the replies. She's 2, and yeah, she is crated about 4-5 hours most days (and the crate already has a blanket over it).

I think I knew that you guys were going to tell me to just suck it up but I was hoping there would be something else I could try (soft music? doggie valium? :v: ) - we have neighbours downstairs who aren't going to be fans of Barkfest 2010. :/

Give her something to keep her entertained for the first couple of minutes (I stuff pieces of chicken jerky in a kong, but a light coating of peanut butter works well too) and stop letting her out to pee the second time, she doesn't need it and she's playing you.

Kara did this about 3 months into being crated at night (and she was over 3 years old at the time). She got over it in a few weeks. It won't last forever.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I put part of her dinner in her kong with a bit of peanut butter and I'm going to freeze it for tonight... plus I bought earplugs. :v:

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Vet time. He might have an infection. It is not probably an emergency go in the middle of the night thing, but you should take him as soon as you can.

I just read this message at 7:pm :( SO I can't take him today.

I have been watching him today, and he is now opening the eye much more often, and part of his 3rd eyelid is showing, although he still keeps it shut maybe a little less than half of the time. Do you think I should make a vet visit still? If so, I will see if I can get him in tomorrow.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I would say yes just in case. Hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow and he'll be totally back to normal, but better safe than sorry.

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!
Has PI ever run across https://www.askdryin.com I tripped across the site because it was linked from one of the rescue organizations in town and it seems to be a pretty sweet resource of information -- I've just looked at the dog side of things but 1) she criticizes "dominance methods" of dog training (noting Cesare by name), 2) advances a positive reinforcement/negative punishment training philosophy, and 3) describes step-by-step a "learn to earn" system (NILIF).

There are articles that she's written and youtube videos too. How valuable is her advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCl6ndLN7Q

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
When cats get sleepy and start closing their eyes and drifting off, do their eyes normally swing to the outside, getting walleyed? That's what my cat seems to do before her nictitating membranes pull over.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I was just watching an old 40s movie that had a dog in it. Got me wondering, when did spay/neuter become possible/popular?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Argh summer has sort of hit and our cat is shedding accordingly. This is the first summer he's been on decent food, so I'm wondering if some serious brushing will help get the worst of it out. Moderate shedding is fine but when your hand gets coated when you pet him, bleh.

I actually need to buy a decent brush, any suggetions? Only one I'd say no is the furminator only because I fear making my cat have bald spots.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Kerfuffle posted:

Argh summer has sort of hit and our cat is shedding accordingly. This is the first summer he's been on decent food, so I'm wondering if some serious brushing will help get the worst of it out. Moderate shedding is fine but when your hand gets coated when you pet him, bleh.

I actually need to buy a decent brush, any suggetions? Only one I'd say no is the furminator only because I fear making my cat have bald spots.

How long's the coat? Is it thick enough to have undercoat? If yes, then grab yourself a little slicker brush & a metal comb (might have to hit up the dog grooming section of whatever store you're at, according to most pet stores you don't need any of that for cats :downs: ) My kitty's long haired with REALLY long parts on her belly & back end. She even came to me with a decent sized mat on her rear, & that's all I used to work it out (granted, I'm a dog groomer, but still :v: ) I usually run the brush over her and comb her a bit every few days and it keeps the undercoat/shedding down. Also, she's not a fan, so I have to play with her to distract her, so it's not even like it's a really great job, so that should indicate how little you need to do to really make a huge difference so long as you do it every few days.

If your kitty has really short hair, you still probably want a slicker brush, but you'd probably also want to try a rubber brush, too. I hear people recommend the Kong Zoom Groom a lot, although I've never used it. Looks awesome, though. The rubber's better at grabbing the tiny hairs that short haired kitties have. Same rule applies, though, every couple days, if you really want to keep it down. Depends on your personal hair tolerance:brushing ambition ratio. :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Here is my dog Cry-It-Out trip report...

I put her in her crate last night with a kong, turned on some classical tunes and the fan, and went to bed with my earplugs in, at about 11:30. I figured even if she did whine she would give up after a bit when I didn't cave and let her out. But around 2 I got up to use the bathroom... I took the plugs out because they were sort of irritating and I figured surely the dog would have settled by then anyway. But when I got back to my room what do I hear but whine, whine, cry. :( I jammed the plugs back in but between the irritation in my ears and being on edge wondering if she was still at it, I didn't sleep well at all. I woke up every hour or 2 and couldn't help but take the plugs out for a second each time for a listen - sure enough, whiiiiine ... all the way until 6:30 am. I stayed firm, if miserable, and didn't let her out until 7 when my alarm went off.

I don't know if she just heard me moving around more when I woke up each time and decided to try her luck, or if she was actually crying all night, which is a pretty heartbreaking thought even if I know rationally that she's just playing me/pushing her boundaries . Someone tell me she won't be this bad again tonight...! :(

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

ShadowCat posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

I know that this doesn't address your question at all, but drat. He is one handsome devil of a cat.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Longpig posted:

Here is my dog Cry-It-Out trip report...

Honestly, it sounds like progress to me. She didn't start whining until she realized you were active, which is a step better than whining right from the get-go. Where do you keep her crate, by the way? If it's in your bedroom, you might benefit from moving it to a room where she won't be able to see you getting up at night to go to the bathroom, or even covering it could help.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

She's on the other side of the apartment from my bedroom; I don't think she can see me in the hallway but she can almost certainly hear me get up. I only actually got up the first time though, the other times I was just awake in bed...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

WolfensteinBag posted:

If your kitty has really short hair, you still probably want a slicker brush, but you'd probably also want to try a rubber brush, too. I hear people recommend the Kong Zoom Groom a lot, although I've never used it. Looks awesome, though. The rubber's better at grabbing the tiny hairs that short haired kitties have. Same rule applies, though, every couple days, if you really want to keep it down. Depends on your personal hair tolerance:brushing ambition ratio. :)
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a rubber brush/zoom groom next time I'm at petsmart then. Thanks. :)

I don't mind every couple of days, that's fine. It's just that brushing your cat sucks when you aren't getting any actual results with crappy brushes, so it's hard to want to keep doing it. Luckily he likes being brushed.

e: ahaha I got him a feathery cat toy today to see if he'd take to it, he's having none of it

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 29, 2010

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Hopes Fall posted:

I know that this doesn't address your question at all, but drat. He is one handsome devil of a cat.

Thank you! He's a gentleman too. He has recovered perfectly and his eye is wide and clear :3

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Small backstory first: I live alone in a one-bedroom apartment, but my cat has lots of counters and furniture to jump around on so it doesn't feel so small. However, when I get home from work (regular 8 hour shifts), she will always be at the front door meowing again and again. When I open the door, she'll dart outside, but she'll never go more than 20 feet away. I bring her in and she'll purr and rub up against me, but I always feel bad that she's sitting by the door meowing while I'm away.
So here's what I need to know. Does it sound like she needs another cat around, or does she want to spend more time outside, or is she just bored in general since I'm not around? I know she always has enough to eat and I live in a safe area, so she's not under that kind of duress.
If any of this matters, she is less than a year old, spayed (so she's not in heat), and either a Siamese or some kind of Siamese mix.

Jackalope Stew
Oct 4, 2007
tastes like chicken
I just adopted a cat from a shelter and he's spent the past few hours since coming home hiding under my dresser. He has water, food and a litter box nearby and is confined to my bedroom while I let him adjust. According to the shelter ladies, he's never lived in a house before.

What's the best way to help him to adjust? I'm intending to pick some Feliway up tomorrow morning and I've been periodically laying down on the floor and talking softly to him. I don't want to force too much onto him at once but I also don't want to accidentally neglect him during this time. What more can I do?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Jackalope Stew posted:

I just adopted a cat from a shelter and he's spent the past few hours since coming home hiding under my dresser. He has water, food and a litter box nearby and is confined to my bedroom while I let him adjust. According to the shelter ladies, he's never lived in a house before.

What's the best way to help him to adjust? I'm intending to pick some Feliway up tomorrow morning and I've been periodically laying down on the floor and talking softly to him. I don't want to force too much onto him at once but I also don't want to accidentally neglect him during this time. What more can I do?

Leave him alone for a few days or even longer depending on how shy he is. He's not neglected, just overwhelmed. He'll eat/drink/pee at night and when you aren't around for a bit, and then before you know it, you'll have a pain in the rear end cat who won't leave you alone when you're trying to eat/drink/pee.

It's tempting to want to drag them out and play with them and show that your house is awesome, but they don't really think rationally that way. If he was friendly at the shelter, just give him some time and he'll be alright once he gets comfortable!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Idiot Kicker posted:

Small backstory first: I live alone in a one-bedroom apartment, but my cat has lots of counters and furniture to jump around on so it doesn't feel so small. However, when I get home from work (regular 8 hour shifts), she will always be at the front door meowing again and again. When I open the door, she'll dart outside, but she'll never go more than 20 feet away. I bring her in and she'll purr and rub up against me, but I always feel bad that she's sitting by the door meowing while I'm away.
So here's what I need to know. Does it sound like she needs another cat around, or does she want to spend more time outside, or is she just bored in general since I'm not around? I know she always has enough to eat and I live in a safe area, so she's not under that kind of duress.
If any of this matters, she is less than a year old, spayed (so she's not in heat), and either a Siamese or some kind of Siamese mix.

She probably would benefit from a friend to play with. It'd give her someone to hang out with besides you, so maybe she wouldn't be so desperate to greet you when you get home.

Also, I know this is a sort of hot topic and a personal choice, but it's generally better to keep your cat inside, away from cars, predators, lunatics & getting lost. If she doesn't seem to actually do much outside or go far, then she's not even that into it. Might as well keep her inside where she's safest.

Jackalope Stew
Oct 4, 2007
tastes like chicken

Enelrahc posted:

Leave him alone for a few days or even longer depending on how shy he is. He's not neglected, just overwhelmed. He'll eat/drink/pee at night and when you aren't around for a bit, and then before you know it, you'll have a pain in the rear end cat who won't leave you alone when you're trying to eat/drink/pee.

It's tempting to want to drag them out and play with them and show that your house is awesome, but they don't really think rationally that way. If he was friendly at the shelter, just give him some time and he'll be alright once he gets comfortable!

Thanks for this, it helped ease my mind. I'm still a little concerned because I haven't seen him eat/drink/pee yet but he's moved from under my dresser to the nook beside my dresser to beneath my futon with a fan blowing on him. He's pretty shy but I've managed to pet him a little (and he did lean into my hand like he was enjoying it, though he still looked a bit nervous...) but I've mostly let him be. Of course, my futon and dresser (and his food/water/litter pan) are behind where I'm sitting so there's a chance he's had some water, right? Should I start getting concerned if I don't see him drink by tomorrow? Should I pick up a few cans of wet food when I'm getting Feliway tomorrow to try and encourage him to eat?

...Is he going to explode if I don't post a picture of him soon? :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jackalope Stew posted:

...Is he going to explode if I don't post a picture of him soon? :ohdear:

Definitely.

Other than that, have you tried lying quietly on the ground in the room? You can read a book or take a nap or something, but if you're quiet & low (standing up people are way tall and scary to scared kitties), he may feel a little braver about coming out for some pets. As for the wet food, you may as well try to tempt him with it yeah. Leave him alone with it for several hours and hopefully he'll take some bites.

Jackalope Stew
Oct 4, 2007
tastes like chicken

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Definitely.

Other than that, have you tried lying quietly on the ground in the room? You can read a book or take a nap or something, but if you're quiet & low (standing up people are way tall and scary to scared kitties), he may feel a little braver about coming out for some pets. As for the wet food, you may as well try to tempt him with it yeah. Leave him alone with it for several hours and hopefully he'll take some bites.

Yeah, I've been laying down on the floor a bit and plan to sit there and read this afternoon (after I pick up some Feliway). Any suggestions for wet food I should tempt him with? I'm considering just grabbing a can of Fancy Feast since it's stinky and stays wet for so long (disclaimer: I have no intention of regularly feeding him this stuff, he'll be on Before Grain soon enough). Also, how will I know if the Feliway is working? I know a cat can't outright say "thank you, Goon Sir, I feel much more relaxed now" but will there be any noticeable change in his current behaviour?

...and to avoid feline explosion, a photo of him from the shelter:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Wally P posted:

Has PI ever run across https://www.askdryin.com I tripped across the site because it was linked from one of the rescue organizations in town and it seems to be a pretty sweet resource of information -- I've just looked at the dog side of things but 1) she criticizes "dominance methods" of dog training (noting Cesare by name), 2) advances a positive reinforcement/negative punishment training philosophy, and 3) describes step-by-step a "learn to earn" system (NILIF).

There are articles that she's written and youtube videos too. How valuable is her advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCl6ndLN7Q

I can't comment on the specific site, but PI totally endorses Nothing in Life is Free training and hates dominance methods of dog training, specifically Cesar Milan's, with a fiery passion.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Brennanite posted:

I can't comment on the specific site, but PI totally endorses Nothing in Life is Free training and hates dominance methods of dog training, specifically Cesar Milan's, with a fiery passion.

Ah, forgot about this post. I've read Dr. Yin's site and like most of it. I especially like when she provides videos and such to illustrate her points. Some of it is hard for a lot of people to believe, and I know a fair number of people in PI would take issue with some of her points (though I think in at least some of those cases PI would be wrong). In general, the information is well-researched and well-presented and I think the site is a good resource personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Jackalope Stew posted:

Yeah, I've been laying down on the floor a bit and plan to sit there and read this afternoon (after I pick up some Feliway). Any suggestions for wet food I should tempt him with? I'm considering just grabbing a can of Fancy Feast since it's stinky and stays wet for so long (disclaimer: I have no intention of regularly feeding him this stuff, he'll be on Before Grain soon enough). Also, how will I know if the Feliway is working? I know a cat can't outright say "thank you, Goon Sir, I feel much more relaxed now" but will there be any noticeable change in his current behaviour?

...and to avoid feline explosion, a photo of him from the shelter:

Your cat may be the exception, but every cat I've encountered (and a good many on here, I believe) who's tried BG dry food hates it and won't have anything to do with it. I have no idea why, it seems like a decent food. Merrick's other stuff doesn't seem to be problematic, incidentally, just the BG dry stuff. My own cats eat their Ocean Breeze flavored wet food, and all of their wet foods are grain free, with the exception of California Roll, which has brown rice.