Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think we should keep the Deus Ex thread to discussing good games, like Deus Ex. Meaning not Fallout 3.

What's the word on the HDTP nowadays? Is it worth using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
Is it just me or does the synthetic heart aug still suck hard in shifter?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Astroturf Man posted:

Is it just me or does the synthetic heart aug still suck hard in shifter?
What. It's awesome! I used it to boost my vision from "can see through walls into the next room" to "can see the entire map". Yess.

Though it wouldn't boost the Spy Drone Aug to level 4, must be a bug there :(

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The first time I played it took me way too long to realize that "enemies" meant my enemies; since the game is so immersive I figured that since it was the enemy's computer that "enemies" meant their enemies, which were my allies.

The best setting is everything. DIE, CHAIRS!

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

The Supreme Court posted:

What. It's awesome! I used it to boost my vision from "can see through walls into the next room" to "can see the entire map". Yess.

Though it wouldn't boost the Spy Drone Aug to level 4, must be a bug there :(

It takes 100 energy/minute, there are enough upgrade cylinders to max pretty much everything and it means you can't get power recirculator.

In shifter it can take stuff to level 5, which is a definite improvement but level 5 doesn't seem to be that much better (for instance, L4 regeneration is 40 hp/second and costs 120 energy/min, whereas L5 regeneration is 55 hp/second and costs 220 energy/min with synthetic heart).

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Things that own in Invisible War:

-"I'd love to be your chamber boy"
-Glass Destabilizer weapon mod
-Talking to JC in Antarctica and Paul in Cairo: i.e. the only people with thoughtful dialogue.
-Back story of the Grays.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Astroturf Man posted:

It takes 100 energy/minute, there are enough upgrade cylinders to max pretty much everything and it means you can't get power recirculator.

In shifter it can take stuff to level 5, which is a definite improvement but level 5 doesn't seem to be that much better (for instance, L4 regeneration is 40 hp/second and costs 120 energy/min, whereas L5 regeneration is 55 hp/second and costs 220 energy/min with synthetic heart).

For a whole lot of augs, you only need the boost to level 5 for a few seconds at a time. Regeneration is a terrible example. Consider speed enhancement (you only need an instant of extra power to fuel your leaps), vision enhancement (just take a quick look around to spot everyone in the level), skull gun (:hellyeah:), targeting (pop it on take the shot and turn it off again) or microfibral muscle (just enough to toss that TNT crate across the room).

The power recirculator's pretty cool too.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
You gotta have GOD clearance to know!

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Male Man posted:

For a whole lot of augs, you only need the boost to level 5 for a few seconds at a time. Regeneration is a terrible example. Consider speed enhancement (you only need an instant of extra power to fuel your leaps), vision enhancement (just take a quick look around to spot everyone in the level), skull gun (:hellyeah:), targeting (pop it on take the shot and turn it off again) or microfibral muscle (just enough to toss that TNT crate across the room).

The power recirculator's pretty cool too.

I see your point. It's just the bulk of the stuff I use is either on for a fight or doesn't need to be jacked up that high.

Other shifter stuff:

The Jackhammer is hilarious as one click of the mouse burns through five shells

Precision rifle is pretty cool with the infrared scope and the fast firing. Although not much will stand up to one sniper bullet through the head and losing the ability to shoot out cameras/turrets probably makes it less worthwhile than the regular sniper rifle.

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 29, 2010

suburban wine mom
May 27, 2004

Astroturf Man posted:

It's noticable with the super legs, you can shoot some pretty good gaps with it.

I have a bunch of upgrade canisters to use, I really can't decide what to put them in. Super legs seems to be too obvious and I've done it with nearly every playthrough. Perhaps super strength? Balistic protection? Spy drone? Aqualungs??????

GOD DAMNED TERRORISTS. -UNATCO GUY #47

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
The woman with all the cats in Paris sure seemed happy I'd killed the Greasels.

She doesn't appear to have realized that she doesn't have any cats left. drat you shifter and your 10 skill points per squashed cat. :argh:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Marvin_Gardens posted:

-Talking to JC in Antarctica and Paul in Cairo: i.e. the only people with thoughtful dialogue.

- Bot Domination

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AXE COP posted:

- Bot Domination

Don't forget the ability to turn bodies into health with the power of nanites! :science: with one of the augs. I believe you got a bonus if the guy was only unconscious and not dead as well.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I really want to try Invisible War, but when I tried to play it right after Deus Ex it sucked rear end. I need to wait for those delicious memories to wear off before I start it again.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I installed the IW demo when it was new and it wouldn't run on my lovely hardware at the time. Then the reviews started coming out and since then I mostly just pretend it doesn't exist.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Marvin_Gardens posted:

-Weapon upgrade system

Fixed the "pinpoint-accurate sniper death pistol with 20 bullets per clip that fires as fast as a machinegun" upgrade system of the first by limiting the number of upgrades you could install to 2 per weapon but making them much more meaningful (like the aforementioned glass destabilizer).

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Whats the gray back story? I don't feel like getting and playing the game just to find it out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Whats the gray back story? I don't feel like getting and playing the game just to find it out.

As I recall, they were genetically engineered by the Illuminati and used to convince people aliens existed in order to distract all the conspiracy theorists from the real conspiracy.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

-Weapon upgrade system

Fixed the "pinpoint-accurate sniper death pistol with 20 bullets per clip that fires as fast as a machinegun" upgrade system of the first by limiting the number of upgrades you could install to 2 per weapon but making them much more meaningful (like the aforementioned glass destabilizer).
Except that was a GOOD thing about the original. You want to make a pistol that is the love child of a sniper rifle and machine gun? Go for it! Don't? Then don't do it, nobody's making you.

Grand Fromage posted:

As I recall, they were genetically engineered by the Illuminati and used to convince people aliens existed in order to distract all the conspiracy theorists from the real conspiracy.
So it's the most obvious backstory in the world that every player already suspected?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That was revealed in DX. Was there something else in IW?

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

At what point was that revealed? I can't remember it at the moment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it was just implied in deus ex

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

They were also engineered by Versalife to be telepathically-controlled soldiers with greater tolerance of extreme environments. The Omar are the Russian counterparts more or less. However, the Grays in Antarctica are JC's custodians and guardians because he saved them from the Versalife labs and gave them a home.

One of the first jobs you get from an Omar is to find a datacube with Gray genetic specs in order to enhance Omar survivability.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i think it was just implied in deus ex

Yes and no. A technician you run into at the end of the game will tell you a bit about the greys if you keep talking to him. He tells you they aren't actually aliens. In fact, I'm pretty sure he tells you they're just "shaved apes, engineered to survive in high radiation environments".

Pretty easy to miss, though, because you only need to talk to that technician if you're going for Tong's ending, and even then, he only talks about it if you stick around and keep clicking on him.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
There's definitely an email in versalife talking about them, though I can't remember if it spelled out the fake conspiracy thing

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Gollom posted:

Yes and no. A technician you run into at the end of the game will tell you a bit about the greys if you keep talking to him. He tells you they aren't actually aliens. In fact, I'm pretty sure he tells you they're just "shaved apes, engineered to survive in high radiation environments".

Pretty easy to miss, though, because you only need to talk to that technician if you're going for Tong's ending, and even then, he only talks about it if you stick around and keep clicking on him.

Yeah I remember that. Blew my mind a little.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There is a file that mentions the shaved ape thing also, part of the other alien conspiracy theories that the "greys" people see are actually irradiated human/simian experiment victims.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gollom posted:

I was just at that part and he doesn't say those things for sure. He's skeptical about them being aliens and is just speculating about what they may really be.

I guess he ends up being right, but the confirmation doesn't come from him.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Reading through this gargantuan thread has finally taken its toll on me, too. Does anyone have a link to a "don't wanna miss a single thing" in this glorious game? I've probably played through entirely at least 10 times, on various difficulties. The thing is, I always find my usual style as I just seem to have to min/max EVERYTHING, every time.

This is my first time with Shifter.
I'm going for something a little different this time, such as trying out people's suggestions of using the upgraded magnum, using non-lethal at least until I can get a blackjack (does it matter if you've possibly killed 1 or 2 people? I did get the "doing well so far" line from Paul).

Who else finds themselves scouring the entire HK area, going through ALL the nooks and crannies, diving around the sampans looking for secrets? Every drat time. Even though I'm fairly sure that I've actually found all the little tidbits - something that is rarely possible to say in DX. Nonetheless, I do occasionally miss bits per playthrough.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
There's also an Email in DX that speculated that the grays might not be recovered aliens themselves, but modified clones of previous ones. Obviously didn't end up being true, but just shows that DX wasn't anywhere near conclusive on them.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
Pretty sure in Area 51 there are old emails from the time when Bob Page was a new member in the Illuminati and he's talking about bringing back the genetic modification of cows poo poo. He gets a reply from Everett saying that genetic engineering is a dead end field of study but creating more of the greys would be useful for meme production.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

BattleMaster posted:

I was just at that part and he doesn't say those things for sure. He's skeptical about them being aliens and is just speculating about what they may really be.

I guess he ends up being right, but the confirmation doesn't come from him.

Hmm, I was SURE it was him, because of the greys in the area nearby. But I haven't played through to that part in a while, so maybe I'm confusing him with someone/thing else. Clearly, its time for my yearly Deus Ex playthrough.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I'll probably be ordering my new PC later this week, so it won't be long till I can finally give Shifter a try! :dance:

Is Biomod still recommended?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gollom posted:

Hmm, I was SURE it was him, because of the greys in the area nearby. But I haven't played through to that part in a while, so maybe I'm confusing him with someone/thing else. Clearly, its time for my yearly Deus Ex playthrough.

I had a savegame near that spot so I went and took a look at what he said again.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That jerk had a major tantrum about me messing with the reactors and when I pushed the button to overload those bitches and restart society so he acted like a baby and tried to kill me with a shotgun.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Inspector Ratcliffe
Apr 10, 2006

by angerbot
I haven't read through this entire thread, but is it ever addressed why JC says that he hopes he doesn't grow green antennae or something? It's when he's talking to Reyes at UNATCO headquarters and it implies that the nanobots' origins are alien.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

That jerk had a major tantrum about me messing with the reactors and when I pushed the button to overload those bitches and restart society so he acted like a baby and tried to kill me with a shotgun.

Dark Age Ending is the best, especially since JC outruns a anti-matter explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Inspector Ratcliffe posted:

I haven't read through this entire thread, but is it ever addressed why JC says that he hopes he doesn't grow green antennae or something? It's when he's talking to Reyes at UNATCO headquarters and it implies that the nanobots' origins are alien.

It's called a joke.