Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Bojanglesworth posted:

The guy who I met with today to buy a new body brought his bag of gear and had at least seven or eight L series lenses and not just a 1D Mark IV, but also TWO 5d mk2's. What type of photography does he do you may ask? Hobbyist bird photographer. I just don't get it.
It's pretty nice to have multiple bodies with a separate lenses covering different focal length eg. doing a closeup with something like a 300/400 2.8 and then instantly switch to a 35/24 1.4 for a general wide shot.

No idea why he'd want a 70-200 nikon and then a 100-400 canon with another 300 2.8 though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Maybe he's shooting for more than one outlet?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ric posted:

Getting one of these stickers printed for my camera :smug:

I had no idea that you could get your buffer upgraded. That's kind of cool

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15997/~/d3-digital-slr-camera-buffer-memory-expansion-service

And photovests should only ever be worn when getting your camera equipment onto a plane whilst bypassing the handcarry weight restrictions

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Bojanglesworth posted:

I'm sorry but that is just the type of person who pisses me off. There is no need to have that much gear strapped around your neck, especially not for a "dog surfing event."

The guy who I met with today to buy a new body brought his bag of gear and had at least seven or eight L series lenses and not just a 1D Mark IV, but also TWO 5d mk2's. What type of photography does he do you may ask? Hobbyist bird photographer. I just don't get it.

At the end of the day, who cares? So he spends more money on cameras? So what? How does that impact you at all? Do you curse out guys who drive fancy cars or who travel a lot? For someone with a lot of money, investing in expensive cameras is actually a pretty inexpensive hobby, when compared to something like play golf every weekend or owning a boat. It's all relative and it's silly to get bent up about what other people own.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

TsarAleksi posted:

At the end of the day, who cares? So he spends more money on cameras? So what? How does that impact you at all? Do you curse out guys who drive fancy cars or who travel a lot? For someone with a lot of money, investing in expensive cameras is actually a pretty inexpensive hobby, when compared to something like play golf every weekend or owning a boat. It's all relative and it's silly to get bent up about what other people own.

I would hardly say I get bent out of shape by it. All I said is I dont get it. The same way I don't get people who drive super expensive cars to sit in traffic to go to work. I'm not jealous, I just don't understand why people do the things they do.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bojanglesworth posted:

I would hardly say I get bent out of shape by it. All I said is I dont get it. The same way I don't get people who drive super expensive cars to sit in traffic to go to work. I'm not jealous, I just don't understand why people do the things they do.
Because people are programmed to satisfy the unhappiness in their lives, and thus remain docile, by acquiring material goods.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nondo posted:

Saw these on Flickr. The guy was shooting some dog surfing event.

flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/4634788888/
In TFR, the term for guys who go all out with gear and dress like they're being dropped into a war zone, just to go to the range, is THE TACTICAL. I don't quite know what to call it, but we've found the photography equivalent.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't know what sort of crazy lives you guys lead that a loving dog surfing event is something dull that doesn't warrant much photographic effort.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

I don't know why, but some people just really love to take pictures of birds. Nothing is more important to them than getting the next good photo of a bird, so thousands of dollars spent on getting that photo are spent wisely. Speed and reach are never enough so something like a 7D and a 300/2.8 would be an "okay" setup.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the more active posters in the bird thread are this type and literally never use their camera for anything but photos of birds.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Those guys are a really interesting example of a modern vernacular use of photography. Kind of like Victorian dead baby photos and calling cards.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
If only photography gear was allocated to people based on their talent and skill, rather than how much money they have. :argh:

I'd be given a Powershot and quickly be told to gently caress off

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

orange lime posted:

I don't know why, but some people just really love to take pictures of birds. Nothing is more important to them than getting the next good photo of a bird, so thousands of dollars spent on getting that photo are spent wisely. Speed and reach are never enough so something like a 7D and a 300/2.8 would be an "okay" setup.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the more active posters in the bird thread are this type and literally never use their camera for anything but photos of birds.

I don't see what's the problem here?

You guys do understand that while it's possible to make a brilliant portrait with a 50/1.8 mounted on an entry level camera, some shots of small, easily frightened birds that only appear at dawn aren't possible with anything less than a 400/2.8 + TC and a 'clean high ISO' camera?

I don't even take pictures of birds, but if there's one thing I dislike more than stupid brand wars, it's "my prefered type of photography is the only REAL PHOTOGRAPHY, what you photograph is below my noble art" elitism.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Met Art photography is simply the best type of photography.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

seravid posted:

You guys do understand that while it's possible to make a brilliant portrait with a 50/1.8 mounted on an entry level camera, some shots of small, easily frightened birds that only appear at dawn aren't possible with anything less than a 400/2.8 + TC and a 'clean high ISO' camera?

I don't even take pictures of birds, but if there's one thing I dislike more than stupid brand wars, it's "my prefered type of photography is the only REAL PHOTOGRAPHY, what you photograph is below my noble art" elitism.
He's saying that the scope of their photography is very limited -or specialized, depending on how you look at it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

notlodar posted:

He's saying that the scope of their photography is very limited -or specialized, depending on how you look at it.

Ok, but I still don't see the issue... Why is specializing bad? If shooting birds is what they really like to do, why should they photograph museums or dog surf instead of perfecting their art? While I mostly shoot macro, I also enjoy portrait and landscape so I get the appeal of diversifying, but I also understand how someone can like only one facet of photography... and that doesn't make them worse photographers for it. Pros certainly do it, you don't often see a fashion photographer doing wildlife stuff.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this, I'm just confused by what was said, though it's possible I might have misinterpreted (english not being my native language).

ease posted:

Met Art photography is simply the best type of photography.

:hfive:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Bird photography has more in common with bird-watching than art, it's only associated by technology.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What if the only photos of birds you take are well composed and interesting? You can also enjoy other photography as well. I don't know anything about birds at all, but it's still fun to do.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If you define what you do as Bird Photography (explicitly or by convention), then you are self-segregating from art.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

seravid posted:

Ok, but I still don't see the issue... Why is specializing bad? If shooting birds is what they really like to do, why should they photograph museums or dog surf instead of perfecting their art? While I mostly shoot macro, I also enjoy portrait and landscape so I get the appeal of diversifying, but I also understand how someone can like only one facet of photography... and that doesn't make them worse photographers for it. Pros certainly do it, you don't often see a fashion photographer doing wildlife stuff.

Anyway, I didn't mean to make a big deal out of this, I'm just confused by what was said, though it's possible I might have misinterpreted (english not being my native language).

:hfive:
It's just weird

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Reichstag posted:

Bird photography has more in common with bird-watching than art, it's only associated by technology.

One of the guys at my office is a bird watcher. He's late 50's, upper management, shirt and tie, clean cut, squared off, 90 degree angles, stock parts, and making much much much more money than I for doing work that amounts to walking around and asking what everyone else is doing.

He's also unmarried, lives alone with a large dog in his parents old house (read: free), drives a modest car, and just sinks incredible amounts of time and money in to bird watching.

He won't talk about much else, but if you point out a bird he's suddenly got a dozen pairs of binoculars and this worn out, ratty rear end notebook ready.

"Oh, that's just a Green Cocked Coastal Swallower"

So, its pretty fun to get him worked up, just to find out its only a pigeon.

Anyway, a couple of months ago he drops a huge catalog on my desk and says "Squidflakes, the club is now requiring photographic proof of sightings, so I need a camera that's really good at seeing birds."

The catalog was some birdwatchers thing, and there was a whole section on gently caress-off huge long primes, telephotoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos, and just a few bodies to stick them to. High end "professional cameras", of course.

Having never taken a picture with anything other than a P&S he wanted something "easy" but "powerful" and "not too loud".

I pointed out a couple of primes, a couple of zooms, sent him the Canon route because they had more selection, and didn't think much more about it.

A month later he's on vacation for four days and comes back all eager and giddy, which is weird and gross.

I could give a poo poo about his bird pictures, they were as expected, but god drat..

5DmkII
70-200 f/2.8 L series with the 2X teleconverter
300mm f2.8 L series with its own rifle mount
600mm f4 L series with its own rifle mount

He had a couple of hilariously too close shots with the 600 where the bird's head is taking up 3/4 of the frame and only the background is in focus.

Then I realized he spent about my yearly salary on that camera set-up and trip to take terrible loving pictures of birds.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

seravid posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, I just think (as notlodar says) it's weird. Bird photography is photography, of course, but most of the people I've met who really get into it are more interested in the "collecting" aspect than the photographic process or the art. The attitude isn't as much "what is the purpose of this shot" but "I still need to get a shot of that one."

I will admit that it does make me a bit jealous to see birders out with $20,000 of gear, in just the same way as it does to see my dentist with his 1Ds and some super-fast macro lens which he only uses to take close-up pictures of teeth. I just see the potential for doing so many more creative things being wasted on something that seems almost...autistic.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

squidflakes posted:

One of the guys at my office is a bird watcher. He's late 50's, upper management, shirt and tie, clean cut, squared off, 90 degree angles, stock parts, and making much much much more money than I for doing work that amounts to walking around and asking what everyone else is doing.

He's also unmarried, lives alone with a large dog in his parents old house (read: free), drives a modest car, and just sinks incredible amounts of time and money in to bird watching.

He won't talk about much else, but if you point out a bird he's suddenly got a dozen pairs of binoculars and this worn out, ratty rear end notebook ready.

"Oh, that's just a Green Cocked Coastal Swallower"

So, its pretty fun to get him worked up, just to find out its only a pigeon.

Anyway, a couple of months ago he drops a huge catalog on my desk and says "Squidflakes, the club is now requiring photographic proof of sightings, so I need a camera that's really good at seeing birds."

The catalog was some birdwatchers thing, and there was a whole section on gently caress-off huge long primes, telephotoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos, and just a few bodies to stick them to. High end "professional cameras", of course.

Having never taken a picture with anything other than a P&S he wanted something "easy" but "powerful" and "not too loud".

I pointed out a couple of primes, a couple of zooms, sent him the Canon route because they had more selection, and didn't think much more about it.

A month later he's on vacation for four days and comes back all eager and giddy, which is weird and gross.

I could give a poo poo about his bird pictures, they were as expected, but god drat..

5DmkII
70-200 f/2.8 L series with the 2X teleconverter
300mm f2.8 L series with its own rifle mount
600mm f4 L series with its own rifle mount

He had a couple of hilariously too close shots with the 600 where the bird's head is taking up 3/4 of the frame and only the background is in focus.

Then I realized he spent about my yearly salary on that camera set-up and trip to take terrible loving pictures of birds.

Too much money, not enough brains. That is pretty much the official moto of where I live (Washington, DC area.) The last wedding I shot was a Korean (read: rich people) wedding, as I am just hanging out waiting for the ceremony to start a guy wanders over to me to ask me what type of camera I have, then proceeds to show me his 1d mkIV and 24-70 L, but admits he doesnt know how to use it, and THEN asks me if he can borrow my flash for a bit because he doesn't own one. I wish I had money to blow one whatever I wanted regardless of cost.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

orange lime posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, I just think (as notlodar says) it's weird. Bird photography is photography, of course, but most of the people I've met who really get into it are more interested in the "collecting" aspect than the photographic process or the art. The attitude isn't as much "what is the purpose of this shot" but "I still need to get a shot of that one."

I will admit that it does make me a bit jealous to see birders out with $20,000 of gear, in just the same way as it does to see my dentist with his 1Ds and some super-fast macro lens which he only uses to take close-up pictures of teeth. I just see the potential for doing so many more creative things being wasted on something that seems almost...autistic.

Oh, you've been hanging with the wrong crowd, then. You're talking about spotters, I'm talking about people that love birds, but also love photography.

http://galerie.alphadxd.fr/main.php?g2_itemId=710
http://galerie.alphadxd.fr/main.php?g2_itemId=883
http://galerie.alphadxd.fr/main.php?g2_itemId=855
http://galerie.alphadxd.fr/main.php?g2_itemId=601

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Well why don't you show us their stuff instead?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I... did? Four links, at the end of my post? :confused:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Reichstag posted:

If you don't see those as art, there's pretty much no help for you.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Reichstag posted:

http://www.birdbook.org/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

diarrhea for girls posted:

http://www.birdbook.org/

Interesting stuff, Zuckerman approaches birds in a very similar style to his portraits. This is what I was trying to get at before, these are photographs of birds, but they are not bird photography, which is a different animal.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Interesting stuff, Zuckerman approaches birds in a very similar style to his portraits. This is what I was trying to get at before, these are photographs of birds, but they are not bird photography, which is a different animal.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from now, okay, how about this guy's stuff? Granted not every shot is jaw dropping but he does manage to pull off some awesome scenes in the wild every now and then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfish/

I particularly like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfish/4290957336/

edit: Also, I think one of the things that kind of makes bird photography a good subject for overspending on gear rants is just that most of the people who do it are older in age and a large amount are retired, so they drop quite a bit of cash on gear without really knowing how to use it. It also kind of turns into an obsession of sorts not unlike audiophiles, where everything expensive obviously has to be better than the cheaper option.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 31, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I feel physically ill looking at those.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Then I'm sorry it's not your cup of tea. :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

I'm with you man.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

diarrhea for girls posted:

I particularly like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfish/4290957336/

I've never seen a photo added to so many groups!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

slearch posted:

I've never seen a photo added to so many groups!

Yeah, no kidding. I think they pretty much accept every group invite in the comments. I guess they were featured on flickr's front page awhile back and it has just multiplied from there.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
I don't think there's much of an argument-- "bird photography" is bird watchers using technology for their pursuit, just like that dentist uses a camera for his professional pursuit. I think it's cool that these guys have found a way to expand their hobby, and who cares if they use the same tools as art or journalistic or whatever photographers. I think we lend too much similarity to the device that we use. It's a little like calling everyone who used a typewriter a novelist. I think the fact that a camera is a tool that is somewhat difficult to master tends to disguise these differences, because you can't just pick up a camera and have its use down in 5 minutes (like you can a typewriter). Perhaps a more apt distinction might be between a stone mason and a sculptor.

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 31, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004
"Bird photographers" are making images for reasons other than making images. The difference is in intent not subject matter. This is why Zuckerman can make interesting pictures of birds and yet another guy playing the real life version of Pokemon can't.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
Watching birds through a 720p hdmi-out onto a laptop via tethering with the 5d2 and 10x on-screen magnification while using a 600mm lens is probably the ultimate birding.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Too much money, not enough brains. That is pretty much the official moto of where I live (Washington, DC area.) The last wedding I shot was a Korean (read: rich people) wedding, as I am just hanging out waiting for the ceremony to start a guy wanders over to me to ask me what type of camera I have, then proceeds to show me his 1d mkIV and 24-70 L, but admits he doesnt know how to use it, and THEN asks me if he can borrow my flash for a bit because he doesn't own one. I wish I had money to blow one whatever I wanted regardless of cost.

Eh who cares. Its not your money. Honestly may as well spend your money whilst you have it. Besides they might eventually learn to use it....its a hobby.

Its really no different to all the old men who drop a few grand on the newest golf clubs each year and still shoot +40. So what. They are enjoying themselves (well golf is a oval office of a sport to enjoy) but whatever.

Or people who drop 10 grand on scuba diving equipment

Or people who spend thousands of dollars on model trains

Or spending a 20 grand on a bunch of pinball machines and pool table in their games room.

Its all relative. My dad was buying a new car a few years back and was tossing up between the sporty BMW or to just get a corolla and I said get the BMW because he may as well enjoy one car in his life before he gets too old and its not like he has a mortgage to pay off or anything.

If I had the money I would probably buy a 600mm and 1DmkIV and I would say I'm not ready for that. But gently caress it. Would be awesome fun.

Quadratica!
Oct 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
I think it's normal & reasonable to react negatively to the reckless or careless spending of money, especially if you have a less fortunate socioeconomic background. It speaks of some pretty wild economic privilege to be able to say "so what" to dropping thousands of dollars on something a person knows next to nothing about. Though it seems most of this is simple professional (or at least earnest) vs amateur outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Fists Up posted:

Or people who drop 10 grand on scuba diving equipment

Get too in to underwater photography and 10 grand suddenly becomes "a good beginner's set-up"

Those cats are all crazy