Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Timby posted:

I don't think it'll be Orton, just because of his sometimes-bitchy interviews, his steroid history and his background with getting drummed out of the Army. He's not really the guy you want to have as your go-to media mouthpiece.

The Miz isn't a bad suggestion, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Ted DiBiase, Jr., evolve into that role.
Granted it wasn't exactly the same but Shawn Michaels was the biggest guy in the company at a point too and he wasn't exactly an angel behind the scenes either and he was over halfway through his career before he really started turning his life around.

I am a little surprised they're making Orton the new poster child while still being buddy-buddy with the military though, considering he was DD'd and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LightsGameraAction posted:

I am a little surprised they're making Orton the new poster child while still being buddy-buddy with the military though, considering he was DD'd and all.

The Viper Randy Orton didn't like taking orders, so he RKOed his commanding officer. Poof, instant DD.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hey. Remember Sylvester Terkay? I think now with MMA as big as it is, they should bring the gimmick back. They might be going that way with Daniel Bryan, once he loses his current gimmick of Cole's Enemy.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

fandom question: What matches have you guys seen the most times?

I think I've seen Rock/Austin 2, Angle/HBK (WM21), Angle/Undertaker (NWO 06), and the Unbreakable 3-way all half a dozen times.

Also Benoit/Jordan from SS05 maybe about a hundred times in the last five years.

Angle/Benoit (RR 03), Mankind/Undertaker HiaC (KotR 98), Punk/Regal IC match (RAW Jan '09), Foley/Edge hardcore (WM22), Chavo/Punk/Morrison/Dreamer/Show Singapore Cane (ONS '08), TLC II, Rock/Mankind ("butts in seats" match). I keep all of these matches (except Rock/Mankind) and a few others on my iPod. I might add a few more sometime.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Bret/Owen WM-X, Misawa/Kawada from '94 and Austin/Bret from WM13.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker HiaC from Badd Blood 1997
Shawn Michaels vs. J-E-Double-F J-A-Double-R-E-Double T from In Your House 2 1995
Mankind vs. Undertaker HiaC from King of the Ring 1998
Team Austin vs. Hart Foundation from IYH Canadian Stampede 1997
Daniel Bryanson (with eyepatch) vs. Takeshi Morishima from ROH Man Up 2007
Fuerza Guerrera & Madonna's Boyfriend & Psicosis vs. Rey Misterio Jr & Latin Lover & Heavy Metal from AAA When Worlds Collide 1994

A little strange, I guess.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker HiaC - Badd Blood 1997
Mankind vs. Undertaker HiaC - King of the Ring 1998
DX vs. Vince/Shane/Big Show HiaC - Unforgiven 2006
Shane Douglas vs. Chris Jericho vs. 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Pitbull #2 - Heatwave 96
Tazz vs. Bam Bam Bigelow - Heatwave 98
RVD vs. Jerry Lynn - Hardcore Heaven 99

There's a few I know I'm probably forgetting but these are the ones I know I've seen more than any other match.

*Edit- Oh year Undertaker vs. Mankind Boiler Room Brawl

Gov. Marley
Mar 14, 2010
Rock/Austin WM17
Austin/Benoit WWF Title SD 01
Guerrero/JBL JD 04
Guerrero/Lesnar NWO 04
Guerrero/Mysterio HH 97
Guerrero/Mysterio SD June 23rd 05

I think these are my most watched matches. Pretty much the same as my favourite matches list. I Also watched the poo poo out of some TLC/Ladder matches when I was younger so some of them might be up there.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Does anyone think that they're gonna do something at Survivor Series this year to make a big deal out of the 20th anniversary of Undertaker's debut or do only geeks like us give a poo poo about stuff like that?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Giant González makes his triumphant return.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Karmine posted:

Does anyone think that they're gonna do something at Survivor Series this year to make a big deal out of the 20th anniversary of Undertaker's debut or do only geeks like us give a poo poo about stuff like that?

They'll probably do something for the Undertaker but there is no Survivor Series this year.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TL posted:

They'll probably do something for the Undertaker but there is no Survivor Series this year.

gently caress I forgot about that :(

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

TL posted:

I thought they came out and changed their minds and said there would be a survivor series?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

I thought they came out and changed their minds and said there would be a survivor series?

you would be correct as of the last information we got

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
So wait, you guys are telling me that people on WH2K were taking a rumor to be fact?!

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Save Russian Jews posted:

you would be correct as of the last information we got

I still can't believe it was even considered. I realize that last years was the lowest selling PPV they had, but historically I'd always considered the Survivor Series one of their biggest events. To me it's like cutting the Royal Rumble or Summerslam.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Pneub posted:

So wait, you guys are telling me that people on WH2K were taking a rumor to be fact?!

It's hard to call it a rumor when, at the time, WWE came out and said "No more Survivor Series".

Though apparently they've changed their minds.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

historically I'd always considered the Survivor Series one of their biggest events. To me it's like cutting the Royal Rumble or Summerslam.

Okay, I can understand caring about Survivor Series, but there are people who care about Summerslam? Why?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Okay, I can understand caring about Survivor Series, but there are people who care about Summerslam? Why?

You mean the summerslam.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Moose Bigelow posted:

You mean the summerslam.

The summerfest!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
It would be fantastic if they renamed it to Summerfest.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I still can't believe it was even considered. I realize that last years was the lowest selling PPV they had, but historically I'd always considered the Survivor Series one of their biggest events. To me it's like cutting the Royal Rumble or Summerslam.

I have no idea why you would. Survivor Series has been a regular PPV with some gimmick matches shoehorned in for over a decade. It was essentially a show like Breaking Point. The last time something big or notable happened on the show, they had forgone the traditional Survivor Series format and had a title tournament.

Also, found on the Breaking Point wiki page:

quote:

The show was what is known as a supercard

:laffo:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

I have no idea why you would. Survivor Series has been a regular PPV with some gimmick matches shoehorned in for over a decade. It was essentially a show like Breaking Point. The last time something big or notable happened on the show, they had forgone the traditional Survivor Series format and had a title tournament.

Wikipedia spergs all over every single PPV page.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

As someone from Tacoma you can go straight to hell.
I'm from Seattle and I just said I was cheering WCW guys. Why do I need to go straight to hell?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

I'm from Seattle and I just said I was cheering WCW guys. Why do I need to go straight to hell?

Calling Tacoma "Seattle Area". As someone from the Northwest you should be well aware of Tacoma and our inferiority complex.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Who is the best wrestler currently on the American independent circuit?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Ask five indy fans, get five different answers. With so many indy guys being snapped up as of late, most of the tippy top guys are working in TNA or WWE.

Mike Quackenbush is a popular answer.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Bryan Danielson. He lost NXT so he's going to have to head back there.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

rotinaj posted:

Ask five indy fans, get five different answers. With so many indy guys being snapped up as of late, most of the tippy top guys are working in TNA or WWE.

It's also pretty hard to get people to agree what criteria to judge by.

My answer(s):
Best Personality? Colt Cabana
Best Gimmick? Delirious (only because Human Tornado retired)
Best Tag Team? Kings of Wrestling (I've always really liked Claudio Castagnoli, and I think him and Chris Hero work well together)
Best Technical Wrestler? Quack is not a bad answer here
Best All Around? AA, Austin Ares. Also set to be the best manager in the indies!!

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

CVagts posted:

Wikipedia spergs all over every single PPV page.

The best parts are when they specifically detail how each move is performed

"The match ended when Randy Orton grabbed the opponents head and placed it upon his own collar. He drove the opponents head into his collar as he fell flat on his back in a move called the RKO"

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Davey Richards would also rank pretty high on the indy-guy list.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Dylar Addict posted:

The best parts are when they specifically detail how each move is performed

"The match ended when Randy Orton grabbed the opponents head and placed it upon his own collar. He drove the opponents head into his collar as he fell flat on his back in a move called the RKO"

My favorite is when they give whole essays devoted to face wrestlers (John Cena, Stone Cold) but only a couple paragraphs for worthy heels (Big Boss Man, Jack Swagger)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Mike Quackenbush is a popular answer.

only he's been sloppy and lazy as of late and hasn't had a notable singles match since 2006.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Quack is safe (not as in "he doesn't take huge life-threatening bumps," as in "he doesn't take stylistic risks and stays around **1/2-***") and boring now.

The "top performer" took a huge drop when both the #1 and #2 BY FAR left at the same time, and I'm not sure there's a clearcut answer. Davey is very good but I'm not really that comfortable saying he's head and shoulders above everyone.

Austin Aries, I guess. El Generico can have a good match with pretty much anyone, too.

E: Scratch that it's Giant Tiger

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wasn't Davey Richards about to retire?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

TelevisedInsanity posted:

My favorite is when they give whole essays devoted to face wrestlers (John Cena, Stone Cold) but only a couple paragraphs for worthy heels (Big Boss Man, Jack Swagger)

What? WWE's most important wrestlers of the last two decades get longer articles than midcarders? But w-why??

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I said historically. Regardless of what it's become I'd always look forward to Survivor Series to see the awesome face/heel teams being built and who went where and the big matches at the actual event. Not to mention the survivor series is also one of my favorite types of matches.

It's just always been to me one of their "institution" PPV's, as in when it's time of the year comes around they drop whatever the gently caress they're doing and start building to it like they would a Rumble or Mania.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

My favorite is when they give whole essays devoted to face wrestlers (the Rock, Hulk Hogan) but only a couple paragraphs for worthy heels (Crush, Vladimir Kozlov)

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

My favorite is when they give whole essays devoted to superheroes (Superman, Batman) but only a couple paragraphs for worthy villains (Toyman, Harley Quinn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
my favourite is stone cold steven austin