Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
I've been playing the Skate 3 demo and have been contemplating buying it, what should i know about it before i get too in deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Fuzzinator posted:

I've been playing the Skate 3 demo and have been contemplating buying it, what should i know about it before i get too in deep.

Have you played the other Skate games? If not you could save a fair bit of scratch and just get Skate 2.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

I've just started Risen. It seems quite hard. Any missables or tips?

If you're a mage, the magic bullet spell is extremely unbalanced. If you're a fighter keep your shield up, learn your opponents patterns, and sidestep and strike.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cryohazard posted:

Re: Fallout 3

If you find the following items, grab and stash them away. You'll be glad you did.

Nuka-Kola Quantum
Steam Gauge Assembly
Motorcycle Gas Tank/Brake
Pre-War Books
Fission Battery
Radscorpion Poison Gland
Lunch Box
Turpentine
Abraxo Cleaner
Scrap Metal
Leaf Blower

Also Cherry Bombs and Lawnmower Blades.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gynovore posted:

Also Cherry Bombs and Lawnmower Blades.

To emphasise; You dont need to lug all this poo poo around, Once you get a house by either saving megaton or blowing it up you can plank it all in one of your cupboards*. Most of what was listed you only want a few of. The scrap metal, prewar books and sugar bombs can be sold/traded to specific people for a decent hunk of caps, the nuka cola quantum you need 30 of for an optional quest, the rest is used to make various weapons. To be honest most of the spare parts are pretty common so I wouldnt worry about them too much.

*I think it tells you in the game, but if you put something in a container that you dont own, it might be there when you go back for it... or it might not. The only containers that are "safe" are the ones in your house.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

SiKboy posted:

the nuka cola quantum you need 30 of for an optional quest

You can also make some pretty awesome grenades out of it. (And if you have Broken Steel, you can take the Nuka Chemist perk later on to automatically convert every 10 bottles of regular Nuka Cola into one Quantum, which makes both the quest and making the grenades much easier.)

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Barudak posted:

Have you played the other Skate games? If not you could save a fair bit of scratch and just get Skate 2.
That's What I was thinking of doing at first but I'm liking the goon community in the game never played any of the other skate games. And the $ is not a problem for me

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The_Fuzzinator posted:

That's What I was thinking of doing at first but I'm liking the goon community in the game never played any of the other skate games. And the $ is not a problem for me

If money's not an issue get Skate 3; the career mode doesn't have the annoying security guard/rail cap bullshit from 2 and it adds some great features. If you like 3 and find a dirt cheap copy of Skate 2 one day you might grab it to skate the original city.

There are no difficulty related achievements in 3 so if you just want to get a challenge you don't like done feel free to set it to Easy. That said the Skate games are very very much about making your own fun; if you can't or don't enjoy setting limits and goals for yourself you'll probably find the game very hollow.

Read the Skate 3 thread's FAQ, it covers some good points. The part about using the Advanced Free Cam in particular.

Physics glitches will happen; expect to be doing well on a line and suddenly be catapulted into the sky now and again. Hardcore mode will sometimes push you away from a grind you should have landed due to a bug (that might be patched).

If pedestrians are crowding you, hitting down on the d-pad will make them run away. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get them un-stuck.

Disabling Hall of Meat Mode in the options will allow you to reset/teleport faster after a bail.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
How much of this applies to 2, and if you have any Skate 2 specific advise I'd like to hear it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Silentman0 posted:

How much of this applies to 2, and if you have any Skate 2 specific advise I'd like to hear it.

There are no difficulty modes in 2, you can't make peds run away and I don't think you can disable HoM in career because of how the HoM challenges worked in 2. At some point in 2 I just bought the Time is Money cheat-pack and just played Freeskate from then on.

To get the Advanced Cameras in 2 you have to buy the Filmer Pack DLC, if you have them the advice from the 3 thread is still valid. Advanced Cams are included in 3 by default.

Something both games do in gap Photo challenges is to hide a ramp somewhere nearby, sometimes out of sight, which can make them much easier if you find it. Grabbing the board will also give you extra clearance.

If you're having trouble with a specific challenge look it up on Goonskate and you'll find examples of how to do the harder ones. Or just ask in the Skate 3 thread, most people posting there have been playing since Skate 1.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Just bought a PSP and a couple games for it. Any tips for Astonishia Story and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology? Neither are on the wiki yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For Astonishia story: don't play it. Seriously it's one of the most generic and plain RPGs I've played in my entire life. It feels like it was made in RPG Maker but I've seen RPGM products that are waaaaay better than it. If you honestly want to trudge through it then know it's a pretty straightforward game where your level determines everything and your only meaningful tactics are to use your best abilities against bosses yadda yadda.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just started up Mass Effect, when I got into combat with flying drones, my pistol (I think) makes a loud boom sound around every other shot. Is that something my NPCs are causing when they shoot as well?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I just started up Mass Effect, when I got into combat with flying drones, my pistol (I think) makes a loud boom sound around every other shot. Is that something my NPCs are causing when they shoot as well?

The only gun that makes load boom noise are the sniper rifles. The assault rifles and pistols make weaker pew-pew noises. None of the abilities make the guns louder so its certainly not that. Check what everybody is equipped with and see if that fixes it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

You can also make some pretty awesome grenades out of it. (And if you have Broken Steel, you can take the Nuka Chemist perk later on to automatically convert every 10 bottles of regular Nuka Cola into one Quantum, which makes both the quest and making the grenades much easier.)

But NOT Chilled Nuka Cola. So if you're going for this perk, don't put a Cola machine in your house/apartment as it will screw you over.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

graventy posted:

But NOT Chilled Nuka Cola. So if you're going for this perk, don't put a Cola machine in your house/apartment as it will screw you over.

It's not as though the game forces you to put all your Nuka Cola in the machine.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I'm about to start Soul Nomad and the World Eaters for the second time.

Can someone explain how the rooms work? I remember having trouble understanding how it worked.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

21stCentury posted:

I'm about to start Soul Nomad and the World Eaters for the second time.

Can someone explain how the rooms work? I remember having trouble understanding how it worked.

The rooms determine your character's attacks (based on their front, mid or rear position in the room), the number of fighters you can have in a platoon (up to 9), and have assorted permanent effects (to compliment the non-permanent room decor items). You can inspect rooms to level up characters which has the added bonus of increasing the stat gain from effects and decor placed in the room. It's really loving easy for the second time through if you use the Gideons, as they are awesome in any room position.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anything for Dragonage: Origins? It's not on the wiki.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Use the "show usable/activate-able objects on screen" key as much as you can (if I remember right it's TAB by default on PC) or there'll be plenty of things you'll run straight past, even with "objects ~sparkle~" on.

Cone of Cold is really good to the point of being a little cheap, but given what the game throws at you sometimes this is perfectly alright.

Micromanaging the party pays off, so don't be afraid to pause a lot during combat.

Likewise, don't be afraid to lure enemies away from bigger groups to whittle away at them slowly instead of charging in wildly, because there are a lot of fights that can be really brutal otherwise.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
It's not a gameplay issue, but there's one thing I think people should be aware of with The Witcher, should they decide to buy or play it.

The game loving hates 16:10 resolutions. If you play on a monitor that's not 16:9, such as one that's 1680 x 1050, the graphics in the cutscenes become all blocky and weird. The only way to avoid this is to set the lighting quality to minimum, or force your monitor to run at a 16:9 resolution, usually by hacking it in with a third party application such as power strip.

There used to be a way to fix this by forcing anisotropic filtering through graphics card settings, but that no longer works. The developer barely even admits that this is an issue, so there's no chance of it getting fixed.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Huh how about that I thought it was just a problem with my video card. Yeah that's an ugly bug it really annoyed me.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you playing the PC version? You may be experiencing one of the many bugs. I defenatly don't remember pistols making loud booming sounds.

Capsaicin posted:

As soon as you get your first mage (weather it's you or a party member), have them learn Heal ASAP, then Cone of Cold. Feel free to experiment after that, but those two spells are almost essential for the majority of fights.

Also; if you die a lot, you don't suck - the game is supposed to be hard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

In the brecilian forest is an elf store. He sells infinite elfroots, in batches of 99. He also sells flasks. Therefore he is your source of cheap, infinite health poultices. I don't know if you've started the game yet, but don't take herbalism on your main character. Off load that on a scrub sidekick and just have them make you all the potions.

If you want to get anywhere by persuasion, take the persuasion skill (duh)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Eggn0g posted:

Are you playing the PC version? You may be experiencing one of the many bugs. I defenatly don't remember pistols making loud booming sounds.
I turned off Sound Acceleration to solve it. I read that it was some bug where half the sound from any second shot weapon gets garbled.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd like to finish the main campaign of Heroes of Might & Magic V one day, but I'm getting my rear end kicked on even the Easy version of Demon Campaign 4, the one where you make an underground fortress in Elfland. The whole game has been pretty hard up to this point, even though I manage my army, remember to upgrade every day, and time my Heroes to return to their castles at the start of each week. Is the game just really hard or am I missing something?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Capsaicin posted:

-There are no "Good" or "Evil" choices, only what the characters that are with you think of the choices you make. Preform good deeds with "good" characters in tow, and they'll like you more. Do the same with "evil" characters and they'll openly mock you and like you less.
-Do the forest last. There's a quest for a great set of armor for tanks there that involves some fairly tough enemies, and the armor has high requirements to use.
-Definitely get Heal on your first caster. It'll be a big help in the long run.
-The Shapeshifter class for mages is basically useless, don't be swayed by it's promises.
-The Arcane Warrior (It's been a while and I can't remember if that's what it's actually called) class's strength lies in using sustained spells to make you stupid powerful, not casting them on enemies.
-Mana Clash is horribly broken. Learn it, love it.
-Certain spells combine with devastating effects when cast in the right order on the same target or area. If you stumble upon one on accident, it's recorded in your journal so you can try it again at your leisure.
-Like every Bioware RPG, you can talk your way out of pretty much any situation and get even more rewards for it.
-Talk to your companions often. They get special bonuses depending on how much they like you, and they have sidequests to do for it.
-Each member of your party responds best to a certain type of gift, and it's fairly obvious what they like the most when you talk to them or think about their character, except for one. The Qunari(sp?) fellow you can recruit happens to like art because it represents the effort of the artist.
-There are a couple special gifts you can find for each character that gains much more points than a normal gift, and starts a line of dialogue where you can accumulate even more. They usually mention these things in passing, so make mental notes of things they talk about. Most of the items can be found in certain stores, but some can only be found during certain sidequests or on the field in certain areas.
-Certain situations will permanently cost you a party member if you don't tread carefully. Loyalty is very important here. A couple situations are impossible to get through intact without the character in question liking you at least enough to get their first bonus. However, some (evil) choices you make will cost you a party member no matter what.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone got anything for Valkyria Chronicles? I've just cleared the first proper mission and am having fun, but there's a lot of stuff that confuses me. For example, the guy said that engineers can lay land mines and sand bags, but I have no idea at all how to do this...

triggerpappy
Mar 29, 2010
The Game is "Place to Pee" an interactive urinal video game

Things to know before playing the first time:

I think its always important to have about 6-12 beers before starting and never try to play in another person's urinal. It can have serious consequences.

http://www.fragworld.org/frag/dugg/detail/17-play-while-you-piss-interactive-urinal-video-game/favs.html#tpdugg_favs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

triggerpappy posted:

I think its always important to have about 6-12 beers before starting and never try to play in another person's urinal. It can have serious consequences.

http://www.fragworld.org/frag/dugg/detail/17-play-while-you-piss-interactive-urinal-video-game/favs.html#tpdugg_favs

Sweet viral advertising of your site, dude.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
I recently bought Blazblue, anything i should know?

I'd like some help without any fancy terms as im not too familiar with fighting games, thanks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kid Moe posted:

I recently bought Blazblue, anything i should know?

I'd like some help without any fancy terms as im not too familiar with fighting games, thanks.

Sup Blazblue as the diving in point buddy.

Okay, basics

1) Every character plays differently. I know thats a no-duh moment but they really do and their Drive attacks A on 360 X on PS3 are all completely different from one another.

2) This means take all the characters for a thorough spin in training mode until you find the character whose style fits yours. The easiest characters to start off with are probably Jin, Ragna, Noel, and V-13.

3) Once you have a character, learn their moves. I don't just mean learn what they do I mean learn when to use them, how to use them, and what situations they can go together. This will come in time, but also try to be able to reliably do the inputs.

Slightly More Advanced:

1) Don't be afraid to play online, its how you get good. Keep in mind that I hate learning, and in fact did not learn, complex 14 hit combos with my preferred and I still logged in 30+ online hours and hit level 50 online.

2) We can give you more personalized advice once you've decided on a character. if you want a general rundown on what each one excels at, ask.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

triggerpappy posted:

You are so very dumb.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone got anything for Valkyria Chronicles? I've just cleared the first proper mission and am having fun, but there's a lot of stuff that confuses me. For example, the guy said that engineers can lay land mines and sand bags, but I have no idea at all how to do this...

Engineers can disarm mines and repair sandbags, as far as I'm aware they can't place them though (I'm only only the 7th chapter however). To disarm a mine creep up to it slowly with a engineer and the game should come up with a prompt to remove it. Doing so doesn't end your turn, so plan ahead if there a few littered about. Lancers can step on mines and receive minimal damage due to the anti-blast armour they wear, and if you have quick reflexes you can prevent an explosion when you accidentally tread on one by ending the turn as soon as you hear the click, switching to an engineer and have them remove it.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

As mentioned, engineers can only disarm mines and repair broken sandbags, not place new ones. Some other advice I can think of:

If you haven't deployed to all your available slots you can call in reinforcements from any captured enemy base. Sometimes it's useful to leave slots open so that you can deploy less mobile troops like snipers to a base you capture in the first or second turn.

Speaking of snipers, they kind of suck early on. About halfway through the game or so when they become elites (see below) and you can buy more accurate rifles they become much, much better.

Don't forget that you can save at any time during battles if you're having trouble (chapter 7 in particular is a bit of a nasty difficulty spike, but it calms back down after that).

At level 11 your classes will be promoted to elites, which gives a nice boost to their stats, including movement (AP). In addition, elite scouts gain get equipped with a grenade launcher for a much larger range, and elite shocktroopers get a flamethrower that ignores defense/cover bonuses. Elite lancers get access to an anti-personnel mortar, but you have to buy and equip that in place of their regular lance so it's not as useful.

Finally, your battle rank is determined solely by how many turns it takes you to win. I would highly recommend against trying to go for all A ranks your first time through; it can kinda suck the fun out of the game. Just play at your own pace, and if you're worried about being underleveled you can always do a skirmish or two. You can save A ranks for New Game + anyway.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Killing Vector posted:

Finally, your battle rank is determined solely by how many turns it takes you to win. I would highly recommend against trying to go for all A ranks your first time through; it can kinda suck the fun out of the game. Just play at your own pace, and if you're worried about being underleveled you can always do a skirmish or two. You can save A ranks for New Game + anyway.

I'd like to add that in my game, once I unlocked Elite Scouts and Shocktroopers I never had a problem getting A ranks. In some missions I even did it in less turns than required for an A.

After chapter 7 the game has a reverse difficult curve. The Elites just make it a cakewalk. It's probably also worth mentioning that I had Elites without even doing skirmishes.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'd like to toss out Napolen: Total War again, as I'm having trouble getting a foothold in it. I tried the Italian campaign a few times and it went better each time, but the time limit (a bit less than 2 years) fucks me over everytime. Anybody have any handy tips to hand out?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

triggerpappy posted:

Wow, I'll have to check this game out! :hurr:

Anyway, on the subject of Fallout 3--I know it's been said before, but save your freakin' game! Also, don't grief yourself too much over screwing things up during character creation; just run with what feels good. Does the explosives skill seem handy? Go for it; there are lots of grenades and mines to be had (especially if you help Moira with her book!) and setting traps for bad guys is satisfying and ofttimes hilarious. Does the "Bloody Mess" perk look fun? Take it! Don't be scared that your initial choices will gimp you later on because it's hard to mess up so bad that the game becomes impossible. Oh, and did you know that you can still use weapons that you aren't very skilled with? Sure, you won't do as much damage, but all that loot you're hauling around may contain a grenade, baseball bat, or other type of weapon that you can take advantage of to get out of a sticky situation.

In another Bethesda title, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, your starting picks can and will gently caress you over. There are many schools of thought on what to do, but I try to mix skills that I know I can level easily (Acrobatics and Athletics simply require you to run/swim around and jump everywhere; not a bad choice unless you want precision control over when you level up) and skills that won't come as quickly (Restoration :argh:). Restoration is actually a good choice if you're a "bad" character as temple altars won't repair damaged stats if you're not a priestly dude/dudette. Once you hit level 25 in Restoration, you gain access to "repair stat" spells, which are in-loving-dispensable when facing Will-o'-the-Wisps, those douches!

Take your boots off when sneaking. If you're good enough at being a thief, you won't need the armor rating they provide, anyway.

Also, think about how you're going to heal yourself when you're making your character. Alchemy is great (especially with the Frostcrag Spire DLC) for making potions (and poisons!), but requires ingredients. Restoration spells only use MP, which regenerates automatically. Of course, if you're wearing heavy armor, drinking a potion is a far better alternative to casting a spell, as the more armor you have equipped, the worse you are at spellcasting.

If you're an Imperial, your Voice of the Emperor race skill stacks with Charm spells from the Illusion skillset. Taking advantage of this will allow you to take a dump in a family's pantry right in front of them and still have them love you.

Barter is an oft-overlooked option during buying/selling items with NPCs. Even if you only adjust the price by one 'tick' to the right, you will get experience for every single item you buy/sell. Get into the habit of checking that slider every time you buy or sell something in order to get not only a better deal but stat increases for a transaction you were going to perform anyway!

Once the gates to Oblivion open, cross-country travel becomes problematic. Consider not going to Kvatch right away if you want to explore stuff without being hassled.

edit: grammar

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 1, 2010

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm starting a lot of games this summer and would like to save a handy .doc file for it all.

Keep in mind I already bought them, and I'm willing to go through them all eventually. (nice tax refund and such, and summer time!)

Skate 3
Sacred 2 (playing this with a friend coop, so good class combinations would be helpful)
Lost Planet 2
Prototype
Just Cause 1 + 2
Saints Row 1

Achievement whore here, so let me know if I can screw myself out of an achievement in those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I just grabbed Sins of a Solar Empire from Impulse for 4 bucks after it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'm wondering if anyone has any more general advice, and which race is easiest to play as, because I'm really, really bad at it. I just can't seem to make enough ships to keep up with the easy AI, pirates are overwhelmingly powerful, and it seems like there just aren't enough resources to build ships, upgrade, or develop planets, I struggle to do just one (been working on small, 9 planet maps to start, maybe I need to go bigger).

Also, are any of the expansions "essential"? Entrenchment looked like it could be really interesting, but I wasn't sure about Diplomacy, was hoping to hear some thoughts from people who have played them.