Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I mean, how less practical are you talking? There's the older 690s for "still streetable", there's the 450/530s for race rep insanity, and if you want to go totally over the top, you'll love every moment of owning an SXV except when it's in the garage/you're changing the oil/dealing with the valves/etc.

Personally, in your situation, I'd go with the SXV. You can do your own work, just make sure it's had the crankcase sealant issues sorted out. And stock oil, because you'll be changing it a lot. It will be, far and above, the best supermoto you could buy if you'll only ride it aggressively...just make sure you're getting the most out of every mile, because it's too much of a pain in the rear end to maintain to do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is the cruelest advice one can give another person: Go with the SXV.

Do you own a pallet of replacement engines?

Hunt down a Husky 610 or even 510 if you wanna go the crazy route. KTM 625, or 690. Even a Husky or KTM 450 SMR with a street title would be a great less practical sumo.

SXV is soooo badass. What a nightmare maintenance bike though. I'm just far too terrified of how unreliable they are to ever buy one, but man would I kill for an hour and some twisties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

That is the cruelest advice one can give another person: Go with the SXV.

Do you own a pallet of replacement engines?

Hunt down a Husky 610 or even 510 if you wanna go the crazy route. KTM 625, or 690. Even a Husky or KTM 450 SMR with a street title would be a great less practical sumo.

SXV is soooo badass. What a nightmare maintenance bike though. I'm just far too terrified of how unreliable they are to ever buy one, but man would I kill for an hour and some twisties.

It's only cruel if you think they can't handle the maintenance. The only downside to those bikes is the maintenance, everything else about them is astounding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Maintenance is one thing. Terribly unreliable engines is another. I have no problem doing valve checks every time I go to the gas station. It's swapping in a replacement engine every time I turn around to go home that worries me.

Though for that kind of power, you can sacrifice a lot.

Really depends on how often you are going to ride, how far you want to ride, how much money you have to spend and how big your testicles are. We need more details for the 'which supermoto should I get arrested on?' buying advice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The engines are apparently only terribly unreliable if they don't have the proper sealant on the cases/are assembled by an idiot (always a possibility with italian engines). I have a friend with one who has close to 5k on his without any issues, after he got the engine sealant thing finally sorted out. Just regular oil changes and riding the hell out of it.

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you
Anyone heard if the SXV will ever become street legal in CA? Only thing keeping me from having one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lunchb0x posted:

Anyone heard if the SXV will ever become street legal in CA? Only thing keeping me from having one.

They are street legal in CA.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aren't most of the issues with the SVX with the 4.5, and the 5.5 is largely the same as the other higher-strung singles, i.e just short service intervals.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The coworker/friend of mine who bought a 1198S as his second bike after 8 months riding a Bandit 600 had been talking about getting a supermoto recently. I'm constantly talking them up to anyone who would listen and got really excited when he seemed interested. Came into my office today to discuss them a bit more.

:(Hes going to buy a Hypermotard 796.:(

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

The coworker/friend of mine who bought a 1198S as his second bike after 8 months riding a Bandit 600 had been talking about getting a supermoto recently. I'm constantly talking them up to anyone who would listen and got really excited when he seemed interested. Came into my office today to discuss them a bit more.

:(Hes going to buy a Hypermotard 796.:(

I rode a Hype 796 and I was greatly let down. definately not the power I was expecting. Even my older carbed 900 had more spunk than it. And definately nowhere near the same as my KTM 520

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well the previous owner of my DRZ wants to buy it back...I'm kind of tempted so I can buy something less practical.

So if I wanted something that could be found used for under 5k what would CA recommend? It won't see commuting, I've got the SV for that. It won't see much off road other than mild gravel roads, I've got the KDX for that. It WILL see a lot of time at the gap/dragon, track days and an occasional ride to work (25 miles backroads).

Right now I am thinking KTM, Husky or maybe if I'm feeling really stupid Aprilia.

The Husky 610 or KTM 6** would be a good choice if you wanted a lower maintenance bike, but they weigh in at 310-330 lbs. But you don't need a bike that can take a lot of miles so don't get one. On the track, the KTM 690 handles like a Goldwing compared to my Husky SM450R. Choosing between a 450 and open class supermoto, you may as well go for an open class, you'll be able to use the extra ~10 Hp on the street.

I think the Husky SM510R is the best pick. The Aprilia's reliability problems are solved (and the 4.5 was solid, the 5.5 had issues) however valve checks are very time consuming because they can't be done with the engine in the frame. Valve checks on a Husky can be done in 20 minutes.

The KTMs are great too, but the 450 and 530SMR were never street legal, so you can only get a Supermoto converted EXC. These need three changes, wheels, front brake, and suspension, but the suspension is often left stock. If you see a good one go for it.

The Husky has two short comings, no factory slipper clutch, and a stock 4.25in rear rim (it should be on a 5in wheel).

Other brands... Husaberg, TM, Gas Gas all make good supermotos, you're just not likely to see one for sale.

If you get any competition supermoto for street use, do consider getting an oil cooler and radiator fan. The oil cooler will double the oil capacity and allow longer times between changes.

Zool fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2010

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

Z3n posted:

They are street legal in CA.

oh really. Where the early models not? I was in a dealership a while ago(over a year) and they said the model wasnt street legal atm.

And have the new models fixed the sealant issue's?

Lunchb0x fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 29, 2010

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Please buy the SXV...

poo poo, it's so loving awesome i'd have a stupid grim even while changing the oil for the third time in the week while putting on my second set of valves in the month after i'd gonne thru three top ends after 15 total hours of riding... :fap:

Please please but the SXV :allears:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Just a quick question; if i'm coming from mountain biking to possibly getting some sort of motorcycle, is a supermoto the closest fit? How easy is it to swap between street trim and dirt trim on most supermotos?

I'm way too tall to consider a sport bike, and i've never really felt that I would mesh up with the cruiser types. Cheap, two wheels and able to deal with rust belt streets are the general parameters. More utility would be great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes. Do it. Swapping between sets is easy. Half hour at most. Or so I'm told, anyway. Utility may be an issue if that includes carrying more than you can fit in a backpack, but other than that, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. Do it. Swapping between sets is easy. Half hour at most. Or so I'm told, anyway. Utility may be an issue if that includes carrying more than you can fit in a backpack, but other than that, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Even if you just limit yourself to a single backpack, that backpack can be a 75 litre hiking bag. They fit stupid amounts of stuff, and it's not as top heavy as people seem to assume. Plus bungie a roll bag/sports bag/duffel bag to the pillion seat, and you've about doubled your load capacity.

I have to learn to be careful about suggesting to people that they do things the way I do them. I appear to be missing a few bits in my brain. The sensible bits. Like the bits that would have stopped me doing a 300 mile road trip on a low-geared 125cc scrambler, with the aforementioned hiking backpack.

And the moment I get a garage and some disposable income, I am so getting me a DRZ-400-SM. I rode that XR-125L 80 miles last week to my sister's and I'd forgotten how much fun the riding position, the wide bars and . . . I dunno, but it was awesome, even if I was only running on 10 bhp.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Endless Mike posted:

Utility may be an issue if that includes carrying more than you can fit in a backpack, but other than that, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Get a rack (and a hardcase if needed).

number million why sumo's are awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for the info on sumos that will help me loose my licence more quickly. Going to see what pops up in the area and anything else within reasonable fly-n-ride distance.

Last weekend I took the Cornerspin riding class, today I went on a group ride and instead of doing the usual hang off like riding a sport bike I rode the DRZ like we rode the little 100cc's at Cornerspin. Sitting far forward on the seat, elbows up. Going into a left hand corner you rotate around the tank to the right sitting on top of the bike, left arm straight right elbow way up in the air. Obviously not as low but it looks like:

Felt weird at first but after a few roads it actually felt a lot better. But now I'm not sure how the hell I am supposed to be riding this thing. Looks like I'm headed to barber next month so I should pry figure it out before then.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 30, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Basic rule of thumb most guys follow, if its a really tight corner, put the foot out. If it's longer and sweeping, keep them on the pegs. This is where some guys differentiate, some people go knee out, some more dirt oriented or SM purists just keep the body more upright and close to the bike and lean with it.

It's supermoto, do whatever feels natural, keeps that rear wheel lively and having a good time and keeps you mostly rubber side down.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Does any one know of an after market shifter for the DRZ 400?

I saw someone mention something many pages ago and it sounded like something that would be perfect for me.

I have rear sets on my other bike and the rubber bits on the footpegs of the DRZ end up making shifts feel completely numb to me. Also the shifter feels a bit short. Something a tad bit longer probably would be an excellent upgrade.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
MSR makes a 1 inch longer shifter. RMATV has it for 19.99+ Shipping http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...8#vehicleSelect

i had the same problem as you on my KLR, i couldn't shift in MX boots at all no matter how I adjused the stock lever, so I had to get the longer shifter

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
My DRZ is my do it all,
So i have the dirt wheelset, different sprockets, and the Supermoto wheels with its 4 piston caliper setup.

So when i switch to dirt, i just unbolt the caliper and master cylinder and bolt on the dirt caliper setup, and change the gearing to 13/44 from 16/40
this allows me to use the same chain length, and instantly the gearing is the same as the DRZ400E dirt model, for single track crawling.

Takes me about 30 minutes, though ive never really timed myself. Because i swap brakes it probably does take abit longer.

Im up to 18000km or so on the DRZ now, its not burning any oil and just keeps going like a top.
Im actually looking forward to the engine wearing out so i can put in the big bore and stroker.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Can two people ride a DRZ?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Skyssx posted:

At once? Yes, they have passenger pegs. I don't think it would be super comfy for distance but it's probably better than a supersport.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've done it for fairly long periods. Better than the KTM can for comfort.

In short: Yes, if you are cool enough.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Armacham posted:

MSR makes a 1 inch longer shifter.

Thanks for this, ordered the part last night.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Skyssx posted:

i wouldn't want to, buts its possible

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Skyssx posted:

Just a quick question; if i'm coming from mountain biking to possibly getting some sort of motorcycle, is a supermoto the closest fit? How easy is it to swap between street trim and dirt trim on most supermotos?

I'm way too tall to consider a sport bike, and i've never really felt that I would mesh up with the cruiser types. Cheap, two wheels and able to deal with rust belt streets are the general parameters. More utility would be great.

IMO you can't compare a motorcycle of any kind to a MTB. To me, this is like asking if a Mercedes or a BMW will be a better car for someone who has only ridden a MTB before. Despite appearances, the dynamics of the two things are very different. Factors include the effect of fat tyres, also the dramatic difference in C of G and dramatically different comparative weights of rider and machine.

If you want utility and want to ride it on public roads, it sounds to me like you want a tourer. Wind and weather protection, integrated luggage, works well with two people, typically featuring good gas mileage and a relaxed riding position that works for longer limbs.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Armacham posted:

MSR makes a 1 inch longer shifter. RMATV has it for 19.99+ Shipping http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...8#vehicleSelect

i had the same problem as you on my KLR, i couldn't shift in MX boots at all no matter how I adjused the stock lever, so I had to get the longer shifter

Have this one also after I snapped the OEM one being an idiot. Makes shifting in my SM boots a hell of a lot easier.

ZombiesAhead
Sep 16, 2009

Skyssx posted:

I've logged at least 1,500+ out of 11,000 miles on my current DRZ SM two-up. Maybe it's because the passenger sits pretty low compared to on sport bikes, but I find that if it's a sub-120 pound woman, it's not bad at all. I would try to scoot as much of your weight and your passenger's weight towards the tank - otherwise turn-in can get scary-slow on the stock rear spring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never minded passengers on my DRZ, as much as one can not mind a passenger. I didnt feel that it was any more difficult than my GSXR.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Having a passenger on my DRZ made me realize that riding solo I was still sitting way back to fit my legs comfortably (I'm 6'5"). Now I try to scoot forward a bit closer to the tank and find the bike handling feels much better.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Does any one have a link to a carb cleaning guide for the DRZ?
I was looking around Thumper talk and Supermoto Junkie with out much luck.

Im getting a lot of misfires and pops at light steady throttle at any speed >30mph
Makes cruising down the neighbor hood streets jerky.Idle is fine and on the free way is fine. Carb sat full of gas for a year. It has a nice varnish/paraffin coating on the outside so I know the inside is probably gummed up all to hell.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
There really isn't much to it. Take the thing apart and spray a lot of WD-40 on all the small holes and them wash with gas. Carbs are really simple, just take a few pics so you know where each piece goes and you're good :) There's also a carb cleaning thread here in CA in case you need some help, it should be on the first or second page...

Also wash your air filter!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Primo Itch posted:

There really isn't much to it. Take the thing apart and spray a lot of WD-40 on all the small holes and them wash with gas.

Yeah, dont do this at all. You need to use carb cleaner, WD wont get rid of any varnish. Make sure that you get it in all the passages, and actually take the jets out to clean them, as this is probably a pilot jet issue.

Then dont wash with gas, you'll be putting gas through it when you start it up again.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

yummycheese posted:

Does any one have a link to a carb cleaning guide for the DRZ?
I was looking around Thumper talk and Supermoto Junkie with out much luck.

Im getting a lot of misfires and pops at light steady throttle at any speed >30mph
Makes cruising down the neighbor hood streets jerky.Idle is fine and on the free way is fine. Carb sat full of gas for a year. It has a nice varnish/paraffin coating on the outside so I know the inside is probably gummed up all to hell.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271098

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Ok Ill just go with what I know.

I have a gallon can of carb dip. Ill just take it apart and dip all the pieces.I Have done a few carbs in the past, was curious if this bike has any gotchas.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Yeah, dont do this at all. You need to use carb cleaner, WD wont get rid of any varnish. Make sure that you get it in all the passages, and actually take the jets out to clean them, as this is probably a pilot jet issue.

Then dont wash with gas, you'll be putting gas through it when you start it up again.

That`s new to me... I didn`t even know there was some carb cleaning magical solution, but really i have never had any problem with this setup, the wd and the pressure from the can clean up the gas gung beautifully, and i just use the gas to remove any remaining wd. Maybe that has to do with the fact that our rat piss gas has 30% ethanol and god knows what else inside.

Any info on what the carb cleaner thing really is ? I`m sure it just doesn`t exist named as that around here.

edit : yeah, every site i can find on carb cleaning in portuguese either uses just gas and a wirebrush/wire or wd... i mean, gently caress, there`s people that use loving vinegar...

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 8, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You've gotten lucky with WD40 then, as it wont remove any serious varnish.

You want aerosol carb cleaner, I surely dont know what would be available in Brazil, but what you want is something like this:

http://www.ruralking.com/gumout-carb-choke-spray-7459.html?cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303630303430303133

http://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Chemtool-Carburetor-Cleaner-aerosol/dp/B0002KKIE6

http://www.jcwhitney.com/clean-r-ca...141&zmap=576115

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think brake cleaner is basically the same thing(acetone) without any lubricants.

• Locked thread