Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Irreversible comes with a tiny fire extinguisher.

Are you loving serious?

That's the most tasteless trinket I've ever heard.

I wonder if The Accused comes with a miniature pinball machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brokeback Mountain includes a pack of Quench gum.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

qbert posted:

Are you loving serious?

That's the most tasteless trinket I've ever heard.

I wonder if The Accused comes with a miniature pinball machine.

Joking. (about hypothetical awful trinkets)

The special edition of Showgirls includes a sample packet of dog food.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit
I'm one of those heathens that throws away slipcovers and I'd probably toss the covers and cases too if I could come up with a more compact organizational system that allowed me to quickly browse my collection (e.g. cheap 1,000 TB hard drives with the original discs in sleeve folders for backup).

In other words, I'm not down with collector's packaging. I suppose I can understand it from a certain (crazy person) perspective, but I'm a little surprised that the market for them is big enough to support the effort.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I loving love Eyes Wide Shut but it's definitely not a blind-buy. Visually they're amazing Blu-Rays, but the audio's kind of :effort: Worth buying the ones you like, but EWS is kind of a rent-and-decide.

Well I hear with a Cochlear implant so :toot:

EDIT: Oh, and when I said "mixed reviews" on EWS, I meant the blu-ray's picture. I love that movie.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 31, 2010

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I've never kept a slip cover either, I think it's a waste of resources to plop them over perfectly good cases when 99.9% of the population will trash it as soon as they get home.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have all my slipcovers in a box in my closet so I can resell them on the DVDTalk and Blu-Ray.com forums.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Criminal Minded posted:

EDIT: Oh, and when I said "mixed reviews" on EWS, I meant the blu-ray's picture. I love that movie.

Then absolutely buy it, the visual quality is excellent. It's just kind of a fuzzy film in a few scenes because Kubrick did a lot of low-level lighting. However, Blu-Ray allows the grain to really be grain, and scenes like the Christmas party at the beginning are just amazingly pretty.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Life reviewed
Shutter Island reviewed
Animation Express reviewed
Bad Boys reviewed

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll have to do that ASAP, MHB, especially for the prices you can find it. $10 for that movie is just ridiculous. Thanks.

doctor thodt posted:

Life reviewed
Shutter Island reviewed
Animation Express reviewed
Bad Boys reviewed

Shutter Island looks fantastic, drat.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Any idea if the people who distribute the LOST boxset like region-freeness? I've just started Season 6 and contemplated buying each of the individual boxsets, but I'm a sucker for unique and similar looking packaging.

Also, Season 3 has a big huge "7 DVD SET!" writing printed onto the cover. On a Blu Ray boxset. :effort:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet, Sony is releasing A Prophet stateside on August 3.

Oh, and:

quote:

The Eighth Wonder of the World is coming up in high definition. On September 28, Warner Home Video will release the classic action/adventure movie King Kong, in a Blu-ray DigiBook edition. The feature will include all the scenes cut from the re-releases, presenting the 1933 version in its entirety.

Special features include:

* Commentary by creature creator Ray Harryhausen and visual effects artist Ken Ralston, with archival sound bites from Merian C. Cooper and Fay Wray
* I'm Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper (2005 TCM documentary)
* The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World (7-part documentary)
* Trailers

The 32-page booklet, featuring photography and trivia, has been edited by film historian Rudy Behlmer.
:woop:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

doctor thodt posted:

Life reviewed

I wonder why one episode is on 1080i. And it was one of the two that I held off on watching the Oprah version so I could wait for Attenborough on.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Bull Durham (one of the four August 3rd catalog titles announced by MGM) is already available as a Best Buy exclusive. The problem? It's a godawful MPEG-2 encode, which means the transfer was probably done 2-3 years ago and has just been sitting on a shelf somewhere. On the one hand it's no big deal since who the hell cares about Bull Durham, but on the other hand it does not foreshadow well for Blood Simple, Escape from New York and Kalifornia.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

I, Butthole posted:

Any idea if the people who distribute the LOST boxset like region-freeness? I've just started Season 6 and contemplated buying each of the individual boxsets, but I'm a sucker for unique and similar looking packaging.

Also, Season 3 has a big huge "7 DVD SET!" writing printed onto the cover. On a Blu Ray boxset. :effort:

The Lost boxset will most likely include the exact same discs from Seasons 1-6. The US Season 3 was locked to Region A so...

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Bambi posted:

On the one hand it's no big deal since who the hell cares about Bull Durham,

From what I hear, you couldn't hit water if you fell out of a loving boat.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving MGM is the worst. Jesus Christ.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They literally have no money.

I wish they would just get sold already.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That Werner Herzog Boxset (includes Encounters at the End of the World, Grizzly Man, White Diamond, La Soufriere & Flying Doctors of East Africa) is only £14.99 at amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00288W2FI

After VAT is removed and shipping is added, that's only $23.02

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

loving MGM is the worst. Jesus Christ.

How the hell are they even still releasing Blu-Rays in their current condition? Does Fox distribute them all? It's weird because I watched A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More today, and they both looked pretty drat good. Their quality control is all over the map.

Anyway...borrowing doctorthodt's format:

Darkman reviewed
Flash Gordon reviewed
City of the Living Dead reviewed x2

Also, Sony will be releasing The Runaways on July 20. Pretty sure this movie never even got a theatrical release here? Oh well, still psyched - I've heard some great things.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Cacator posted:

Lost: The Complete Collection (August 24):

I held off buying any of the previous sets for this and all I got was a lousy ankh.

Do you save any money buying this set?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Can anyone in the UK tell me if Old School is unrated or not? The American cover says Unrated, but the English one doesn't. Also, does it have the same extra material as the American edition?

Please help me out, I really want to see this movie again and my DVD is scratched :( .

Anyone?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bambi posted:

How the hell are they even still releasing Blu-Rays in their current condition? Does Fox distribute them all? It's weird because I watched A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More today, and they both looked pretty drat good. Their quality control is all over the map.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Fox is still distributing MGM's Blu-Ray discs regardless of what state the company is in. I don't think their license is going to be impacted over MGM's suspended operations.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Did you ever see the Batarang trinket for the Batman: Arkham Asylum special edition? It's permanently attached to the display stand. $40 more than the regular version for that. It was hilarious when everyone got their copies and opened it up to discover that and raged up and down the internet over it.

Sorry, pulling this one from the last page. I remember when my store got those in, my manager opened one up to have a look and just laughed when he saw it was attached to the stand. He laughed even harder a few days later when someone returned it because they obviously tried to throw it anyways (the Batarang edges were all scuffed and scratched up).

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Harlock posted:

They literally have no money.

I wish they would just get sold already.

Continue to wait. MGM has so much debt that no one wants to touch them.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Lucas posted:

God drat it, I'm not getting the rest of my Bond blurays am I?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lucas posted:

Except for smaller video labels wanting titles to license from them for cheap. Criterion supposedly has a ton of films licensed from them (besides the already-released House of Games, Salo, and The Fugitive Kind) like Night of the Hunter and Paths of Glory.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Do you save any money buying this set?

For the pre-order price on Amazon right now, yes.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Except for smaller video labels wanting titles to license from them for cheap. Criterion supposedly has a ton of films licensed from them (besides the already-released House of Games, Salo, and The Fugitive Kind) like Night of the Hunter and Paths of Glory.

I just meant that no one wants to purchase them outright. But yeah, that is true.

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s

Eight Is Legend posted:

Anyone?

The UK and US versions are pretty much the same disc if I remember rightly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lucas posted:

I just meant that no one wants to purchase them outright. But yeah, that is true.

Sadly. While they did reach progress in the last decade, the actual film library was treated like poo poo up until the early 1990s. Robert Harris has been trying to get The Alamo and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (both shot in 65mm) restored for years, but MGM can't afford it and no private investors are interested enough. I think he got enough investors for The Alamo to preserve the 6-track soundtrack, but that's it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 months, 3 amazing Spielberg Blu-Rays. Dreamworks/Paramount really knocked it out of the park with these discs - pretty sure I woke up the neighbors with War of the Worlds. Here's hoping for more soon.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I like how Bad Boys came out before Bad Boys 2 even though Sony has been using footage of the sequel in their Blu-Ray promo reel for years now.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

God I can't loving wait for August 17th so I can watch Red Riding again in all its splendid glory.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Life (Attenborough) for $30

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2056124

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

fuckkkkkk

my amazon order shipped today too

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

doctor thodt posted:

Is this another necessary purchase like Planet Earth?

edit: I guess it's out of stock anyway.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 1, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I only saw one episode of Life while it was airing and it was narrated by Oprah, so I can't attest to that, but everything I've heard says it's on par with Planet Earth, if not better.

I just got done watching The Wolfman - holy crap, what an awesome take on a classic monster tale. I watched the director's cut and hardly noticed any of the pacing problems people complained about with the theatrical cut (which I never saw). Flawless PQ/AQ and a nice plethora of extras too (though sadly no commentary). Highly recommended.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Guess what Ben Stiller just posted on Twitter?

TCG Blu Ray transfer in progress.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neither Ben Stiller nor "TCG" nor that picture tells me what movie that is. The Crimson Guy? Texas Chainsaw Gassacre? I feel like this should be obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The Cable Guy!

• Locked thread