Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This line is in like every wrestling article on Wikipedia, it's my favourite by far:

quote:

The championship was generally contested in professional wrestling matches, in which participants execute scripted finishes rather than contend in direct competition.

It shows wikipedia's hilarious failings as an encyclopedia, because really, you should just reference that the title is a pro wrestling title, and anyone who doesn't understand what pro wrestling is should read the pro wrestling article. You don't explain the concept of something that has its own entry, in every single entry related to it.

Imagine if every time you looked up a Canadian province in an encyclopedia it had a line like this, "Ontario s a province of Canada, which is a commonwealth dominion with a parliamentary government, formed by confederation in 1865."

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gov. Marley
Mar 14, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Who is the best wrestler currently on the American independent circuit?

El Generico.

I have never not enjoyed a Generico match.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Giant Tiger would destroy Generico and gently caress his father.

Gov. Marley
Mar 14, 2010
Aye, but can he do a BRAINBUSTAHHHH~!!?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't need to. One no-hands pedigree is all it takes.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

This line is in like every wrestling article on Wikipedia, it's my favourite by far:

It shows wikipedia's hilarious failings as an encyclopedia, because really, you should just reference that the title is a pro wrestling title, and anyone who doesn't understand what pro wrestling is should read the pro wrestling article. You don't explain the concept of something that has its own entry, in every single entry related to it.

Imagine if every time you looked up a Canadian province in an encyclopedia it had a line like this, "Ontario s a province of Canada, which is a commonwealth dominion with a parliamentary government, formed by confederation in 1865."

we need to do something like this to one of their articles for them to understand the whole pro-wrestling project is retarded.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
A discussion in the spoilers thread reminded me of a question I asked a looooooooooooong time ago that nobody really had an answer to, so I'll try it again now:

What is the best Kane match?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Atticus Finch posted:

A discussion in the spoilers thread reminded me of a question I asked a looooooooooooong time ago that nobody really had an answer to, so I'll try it again now:

In my mind (and I haven't watched it in a LONG time so maybe it's just nostalgia) his match against Mankind during his initial "unstoppable Michael Myers" phase is probably the best he ever had.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Atticus Finch posted:

I remember him having a really great match with Kurt Angle a week or two before Wrestlemania 18, then disappointing in their rematch on the PPV.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
It's not a match, but this doesn't nearly come up enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhin5KxGN8

:nms: due to an unprotected chairshot :nms:

Shadalator fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 2, 2010

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Kane against Albert was loving awesome

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Veg posted:

Kane against Albert was loving awesome

wasn't that when he broke out that awkward hurri-kane!-rana

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Matlock posted:

wasn't that when he broke out that awkward hurri-kane!-rana

drat straight

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Jerusalem posted:

In my mind (and I haven't watched it in a LONG time so maybe it's just nostalgia) his match against Mankind during his initial "unstoppable Michael Myers" phase is probably the best he ever had.

The one where he put a big dent in the entrance ramp using Mankind? That match was awesome

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kane vs. Benoit was a good one. It's funny to see Lawler push that Kane deserves "a moment in the sun! So he can walk down the street and people won't be afraid of him!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrMondayNight posted:

The one where he put a big dent in the entrance ramp using Mankind? That match was awesome

Yeah, it was a good example of Foley's typical "I'll make us BOTH come out of this match better off than we were before!" style of thinking. Up till that point Kane hadn't been given pause by anybody but everybody knew Mankind was crazy and had been the only one who had ever really caused trouble for the Undertaker. So the match happens with a guy who has pretty much made his impact by no-selling everything and killing people with a single chokeslam/tombstone combo - and Mankind manages to show that Kane wasn't just a paper tiger and actually WAS scary resilient and unstoppable.... but also that Mankind himself was deranged and had to be beaten into unconsciousness before he'd stop coming after you.

The bit where Mankind levels Kane by smashing him so hard with a "lead pipe" that it wrapped around Kane's head.... and then Kane sat back up moments later was a loving awesome moment and did a great job of making people think that maybe Kane COULD beat the Undertaker when they finally fought down the line.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really understand why they don't book Kane to be as strong as the Undertaker sometimes. I mean the Undertaker is a better wrestler, but still. Also I'll second Kane v. Benoit at Bad Blood '04 as almost certainly the best Kane match.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it was a good example of Foley's typical "I'll make us BOTH come out of this match better off than we were before!" style of thinking. Up till that point Kane hadn't been given pause by anybody but everybody knew Mankind was crazy and had been the only one who had ever really caused trouble for the Undertaker. So the match happens with a guy who has pretty much made his impact by no-selling everything and killing people with a single chokeslam/tombstone combo - and Mankind manages to show that Kane wasn't just a paper tiger and actually WAS scary resilient and unstoppable.... but also that Mankind himself was deranged and had to be beaten into unconsciousness before he'd stop coming after you.

The bit where Mankind levels Kane by smashing him so hard with a "lead pipe" that it wrapped around Kane's head.... and then Kane sat back up moments later was a loving awesome moment and did a great job of making people think that maybe Kane COULD beat the Undertaker when they finally fought down the line.

please tell me what ppv this was I MUST see this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AkumaHokoru posted:

please tell me what ppv this was I MUST see this

Survivor Series 97 (you can see why it gets overlooked!), though remember that I haven't seen it in 13 years so there may be a heavy dose of nostalgia involved in my memory.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Someone please find and post that match.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

The Berzerker posted:

Someone please find and post that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpvkiRClHoA

The rest of the spots in that match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR4hxtErNwU#t=8m24s

Shadalator fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 2, 2010

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Hypothetically if a goon were to be invited to Big Show's house what should this goon ask him besides "is Andre really your dad?"?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Moose Bigelow posted:

Hypothetically if a goon were to be invited to Big Show's house what should this goon ask him besides "is Andre really your dad?"?

is your toilet bigger than a regular toilet?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Moose Bigelow posted:

Is he really big all over?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

"Can I ride on your shoulders?"

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Moose Bigelow posted:

I bet he gets questions about his toilet/penis all the drat time. Ask him something normal. like, whether or not he likes bananas.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ask him why he isn't in MMA with that incredible right hand of his

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ask him what he thinks of Percy.

Edit: Also, ask him how he would stop the oil leak in the Gulf. And punching it in the god damned face isn't a solution.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 2, 2010

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
How do they cram all that graham.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Burrito posted:

Is he really big all over?

You mean, the liver?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It amazes me that Foley has never crippled anyone with that lovely piledriver of his.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Timby posted:

It amazes me that Foley has never crippled anyone with that lovely piledriver of his.

His massive thighs probably prevented that.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

Does he still have the Captain Insano costume?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

What's his most ridiculous backstage story from WCW?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

tzirean posted:

What's his most ridiculous backstage story from WCW?

"Do you want to know why I'm called The Giant?"

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Moose Bigelow posted:

How large are your bowel movements

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Actually:

"Which wrestler has been the biggest mentor to you?"
"Have you and Miz ever had any real life student-coach interactions like you do during the tag-team?"
"Who do you think is the biggest up-and-comer currently in the WWE/outside of the WWE?"
"What do you think of the direction of the WWE steered more towards children and away from the "Attitude"-style format?"
"Who do you wrestle only because you have to (aka do not like?)"

Comedy option:
"If it weren't for Hulk Hogan, what's to stop you from painting yourself green and wrestling as The Hulk?"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Shitty_Wok posted:

Actually:

"Which wrestler has been the biggest mentor to you?"
"Have you and Miz ever had any real life student-coach interactions like you do during the tag-team?"
"Who do you think is the biggest up-and-comer currently in the WWE/outside of the WWE?"
"What do you think of the direction of the WWE steered more towards children and away from the "Attitude"-style format?"
"Who do you wrestle only because you have to (aka do not like?)"

Comedy option:
"If it weren't for Hulk Hogan, what's to stop you from painting yourself green and wrestling as The Hulk?"

I was warned by the guy taking me over there to never EVER disrespect Hogan in front of the big show.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

I was warned by the guy taking me over there to never EVER disrespect Hogan in front of the big show.

That's more of a joke than disrespect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Moose Bigelow posted:

When's the last time you went coffin surfing?

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W356F8uCYwI#t=1m40s