Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Also, smoke. Lots of cottony smoke goodness required on the battlefield. How else is everyone supposed to know where the action is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sokrateez posted:

Also, smoke. Lots of cottony smoke goodness required on the battlefield. How else is everyone supposed to know where the action is?

You should store your cotton in sulfur, or possibly a jar of bad eggs. Then it'll even smell right!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Why not just use gun cotton. Burn it for 100% authentic smell.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A habit I have yet to break from 40k: Buying more poo poo before I've painted what I've got.

Now I want to buy some ships for Trafalgar, too.

EDIT: And some of these, just for painting: http://www.allthekingsmentoysoldiers.com/ATKMAWI.html

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've always wanted to get these to have a go at but never got round to it.

https://www.thunderboltmountain.com/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=425b58870d922a121746ac596eea34dc

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

big_g posted:

I've always wanted to get these to have a go at but never got round to it.

https://www.thunderboltmountain.com/index.php?cPath=36&osCsid=425b58870d922a121746ac596eea34dc

Tim Burton's Waterloo

EDIT: Also that British soldier has what's clearly a Charleville, not a Brown Bess. :smug:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Lord Commissar posted:

EDIT: Also that British soldier has what's clearly a Charleville, not a Brown Bess. :smug:

yep

cool figures other than that

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

yep

cool figures other than that

They're good sculpts, I just don't like the style. Which isn't to say it's bad, it's just not my thing. I'm playing historicals to be accurate. :)

Also, there is no escaping this demon:

quote:

==================================================================
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB05 British Grenadiers 1768 warrant, march attack(18) $3.99
Ordered: 2 Shipped: 2 PEN AWB06 British Grenadiers 1768 warrant, charging (18) $3.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB17 Grenadier command charging (15) $3.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB22 British Light Infanty, Crested helmets, skirmishing (18) $3.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB25 Grenadier command, marching (15) $3.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB26 Light infantry command (15) $3.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB30 6pdr gun with crew (3) $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB31 3pdr gun with crew (3) $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWB32 5.5 Howitzer with crew (3) $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWG01 Hessian Grenadiers, standing $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWG05 Brunswick Grenadiers, marching, inc comm $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWG07 Hessian Grenadiers, Regt Rall, inc. comm $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWA09 Continental Command in hunting shirts (15) $3.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWA13 6pdr gun with crew (3) $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWA14 3pdr gun with crew (3) $5.99
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PEN AWA15 5.5 Howitzer gun with crew (3) $5.99
==================================================================

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tell me about it. I'm only nearly finished my French naps and still have a pile of Austrians to do, and that's to say nothing of my ancients, but that didnt stop me from ordering yet more French and Austrians!

ACW figs are looking pretty neat too. . .

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm most excited about Rall and his dudes, since the unit I reenact was there at Trenton.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sokrateez posted:

Tell me about it. I'm only nearly finished my French naps and still have a pile of Austrians to do, and that's to say nothing of my ancients, but that didnt stop me from ordering yet more French and Austrians!

ACW figs are looking pretty neat too. . .

I know that one.

Currently I have all my German infantry and non tanky type vehicles to do in 10/12mm (about 60-70 infantry, a dozen lorries and armoured cars etc) a whole British armoured group for North Africa in 1941 in 10/12mm, a large Confederate ACW army in 10mm, a box of plastic Perry Dragoons and Hussars and 2 boxes of their French ifnantry to do. As well as 1 and half fleets for Full Thrust and a small French fleet for Trafalgar.

Im not even considering my 15mm armies as Ive gone of 15mm historicals and the rule set we were using.

I could be painting for the rest of my life at this rate.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Perhaps an oath-esque monthly event is in order?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sokrateez posted:

Perhaps an oath-esque monthly event is in order?

We could. I'm not sure how much I'll participate, but it'll be something, at least.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

We could. I'm not sure how much I'll participate, but it'll be something, at least.

Hmm yeah I could be up for that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Let's start it at the 1st of the month, so we don't have some weird middle-of-the-month date like the 40k thread did.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
A weekend's worth of painting just knocked out my FoW infantry backlog, along with 4 trucks. Almost finished painting what I own for that game now :woop:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

A weekend's worth of painting just knocked out my FoW infantry backlog, along with 4 trucks. Almost finished painting what I own for that game now :woop:

Excuse me sir the oath event hasn't started yet :colbert: (those look great)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sokrateez posted:

Excuse me sir the oath event hasn't started yet :colbert: (those look great)

I'm trying to finish my backlog before that :ssh:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
So, I went and got myself plasticard, green stuff, sculpting tools and tiny tiny files. I was thinking that since there's practically no Asian 6mm terrain anywhere, I'd make my own. And not only will I make it, but I'll try to cast in resin for the first time, so I can make myself an entire little town. Hell, if it goes off well I might even sell some online or even make 15mm terrain, European stuff etc.

I started with my first master today, this will be a blast! Anyone out there with resin experience who can some wisdom to impart to me?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

So, I went and got myself plasticard, green stuff, sculpting tools and tiny tiny files. I was thinking that since there's practically no Asian 6mm terrain anywhere, I'd make my own. And not only will I make it, but I'll try to cast in resin for the first time, so I can make myself an entire little town. Hell, if it goes off well I might even sell some online or even make 15mm terrain, European stuff etc.

I started with my first master today, this will be a blast! Anyone out there with resin experience who can some wisdom to impart to me?

http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/2006/08/26/656/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

For all your Vietnam Conflict needs:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=72&zenid=4c3b501cf7cfd9376ee5abe48d1657bd

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

TooFatLardie games are great. Buy them

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Had our groups second game of Trafalgar last night. Really fun system, first naval game of this type we have tried.

We played 2 2000pt fleets (Brits and Spanish) using Rod Langton ships which are soooooo lovely. (really should get round to putting my French ones together)

Movement takes some getting used to, as proved by my mate who managed to sail one British 3rd rate into an island, grounding it, and then piling a firgate into its arse in a spectacular collission.

The British mission was to attack a Spanish fleet and capture or sonk the flagship.
They failed spectacularly. When we call the game after 2 and half hours, they had lost 2 ships of the line and pretty much every other ship was at the point of combat ineffectiveness, while us Spaniards had hardly a scracth.

One of the reasons for this (other than terrible movement by the Brits) was the special character we had bought for the Spanish which gives the entire fleet rapid fire ability if they are within a certain dsiatnce of the flagship. Rapid fire means that you are minus 1 to hit but you can fire twice in a turn. The Spanish cant usually get this upgrade (which can be bought for most fleets on a ship by ship basis and is quite expensive, whereas thi special character was only 10 points more thn a normal admiral without that ability) for a good reason. The Spanish fleet tends ot be slow and unmanoeuverable but has by far the best gunned ships. So being able to wait for the British to close on us then open fire with our our silly amount of cannons twice was an astounding amount of fire power. Almost game breakingly so in our opinion.

Moral of the story is we all decided we wont use special characters in our games unless its a specific scenario/campaign. Other than that it was a fun nights gaming, and well worht a look.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

capture or sonk the flagship.

You sonk my battleship!

Glad it's a fun game, though. Looking forward to playing it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't even play this era and I want these:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Has anyone else played the Polemos ruleset? I got the Napoleonic rules with my first order of Baccus minis and I love the tempo system in particular, really adds the ebb and flow feeling to the game, while also forcing you to make good use of your command capability to order you generals about.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hey, Serotonin (or anyone else who plays Trafalgar):

I was looking at Langton's site, and I can't exactly make heads or tails of some of these ship options (especially the sails).

Think you could help? Maybe that could be added to the Trafalgar write up, too.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sokrateez posted:

Has anyone else played the Polemos ruleset? I got the Napoleonic rules with my first order of Baccus minis and I love the tempo system in particular, really adds the ebb and flow feeling to the game, while also forcing you to make good use of your command capability to order you generals about.

I've played Polemos a few times. The tempo system is very clever but the rest of the game mechanics leave me cold.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

I was looking at Langton's site, and I can't exactly make heads or tails of some of these ship options (especially the sails).

Email him. He is super helpful. When I bought my ships off him ata shownhe talked me through what I needed. He recommended that I went with he White metal sails as the brass etched ones are super fiddly to do right.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Commissar posted:

I agree on the cast sails being easier to use than the brass sails. But yeah, if you are unsure, just e-mail Rod and say something like "I want hull x, y and z, and please add the correct Easy Sail with furled topgallants for them".

I got the topgallants and courses furled since by default in the starter, but I kinda wish I had gotten full sails as I think it looks more awesome.

Other than that you want to decide if you want to make your own bases or buy from him, and if you're going maximum details you'll want some photo-etched shroud and ratlines. I bought some flags too, but I don't think those would be too hard to make yourself if you have access to a printer.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 28, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm not sure I want any sails furled. Seems like the ships would look better on the table with full sails open.

EDIT: Looking at the site, I guess you want the bottom sails furled, for 'combat'.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 28, 2010

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
You all seemed to like the work on the Matilda MKII I did a while back (That I just need to finish!) So I thought I would introduce you to the latest 1:35 project I'm starting...Zee Wespe!

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Hawt.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some Paras I have snow based for a tournament next weekend. Some are a bit chipped so I will touch them up tomorrow night.

Airlanding 6pdr platoon

Para Platoons

I snow covered my Shermans

And my Rifle platoon

Finally 2x Medium mortars and the HQ:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nice. I really do need to finish painting my Soviets.

I did get all their bases magnetized, though. I bought some cookie sheets, too, so now I have an easy, cheap way to transport them around.

EDIT: And I'm actually playing a game today!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 30, 2010

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Absolutely love the Para's.

I'm maybe not 100% sold on the snow on the Shermans. What did you use? Something you bought or is it a home made concoction of baking powder and glue?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Its a mix of PVA gule, Baking soda and a tiny bit of Grey stone to tone down the white.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Here's where I am with the Wasp.

Got to pick out the attached equipment, do the tracks and then weather the bad boy. Going to use a fairly brightish dried European kinda mud to contrast with the grey what do you guys think?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think my FoW army needs Wespes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I need some ideas for movement trays for my 10mm Black Powder guys.