Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Nafrodite posted:

So from the feedback here, I'm sold on Jagged Alliance 2, but is Disciples II worth picking up as well?

Disciples II is like a HOMM3 that, instead of having fun together in the sand, would rather rape you in the rear end.

So, I suppose it comes down to if you like being raped in the rear end by a dark, gothic (not goth) diablo-esque HOMM3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Disciples II is pretty as gently caress, though. It's fairly hard, and I don't think it has a random map generator. So if you like randomly generated sandbox-ish games, then Disciples 2 falls short in that manner. The campaign is decent, though.

And battles are completely different. They aren't really tactical, but almost JRPG-like. There's no real positioning or anything (only front row, back row), and you take turns inputting in commands like attack, use item, etc. And you aren't recruiting huge numbers of guys, but small parties that level up over time and can branch out into different classes. It's kinda sorta like a gothic turn based ogre battle with directly controllable battles mixed with HOMM now that I think about it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Disciples II is pretty as gently caress, though. It's fairly hard, and I don't think it has a random map generator. So if you like randomly generated sandbox-ish games, then Disciples 2 falls short in that manner. The campaign is decent, though.

And battles are completely different. They aren't really tactical, but almost JRPG-like. There's no real positioning or anything (only front row, back row), and you take turns inputting in commands like attack, use item, etc. And you aren't recruiting huge numbers of guys, but small parties that level up over time and can branch out into different classes. It's kinda sorta like a gothic turn based ogre battle with directly controllable battles mixed with HOMM now that I think about it.
Also I haven't seen it mentioned, but Disciples III has been out in Russia for half a year and a supposed English release in July. A friend is playing the Russian version and called it something like gothic HoMM5 with more tactics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Threep posted:

Also I haven't seen it mentioned, but Disciples III has been out in Russia for half a year and a supposed English release in July. A friend is playing the Russian version and called it something like gothic HoMM5 with more tactics.

But... is it any good? I've only really seen screenshots of it and it doesn't really look all that great. I never really got too into the series or anything so it wont be a big disappointment if it sucks.

Nafrodite
Jan 9, 2004

now is the winter of our discontent
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a pass then since rear end rape isn't really my thing.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

But... is it any good? I've only really seen screenshots of it and it doesn't really look all that great. I never really got too into the series or anything so it wont be a big disappointment if it sucks.
I'll ask her to post a mini-review or something when it's actually daytime there.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I had a hard time playing Disciples II because I always wanted my guys to be at full health, so I'd try leave one enemy alive long enough to use the healer to heal the whole party. AFAIK there's no free way to heal everyone up between battles, which seems just stupid when you have a healer right there who can heal many times a minute with no apparent problems.

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 30, 2010

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think last time Disciples II came up in this thread we decided it was only for the calmest of people because anyone with a hint of getting angry at video games will break something at some point during the game.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
And just like last time I'll say I don't know why so many people thought it was so hard. I thought the campaign was a lot easier than the HoMM campaigns.

I love the hell out of Disciples 2.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I haven't played Disciples 2 that much, but it looks like a fantastic game. As long as we're talking about it, though, I was wondering. Just what are you supposed to do to keep your troops alive? Some of the Empire troops can heal, but the others are so weak that they'll usually die in a single round. Mountain Clan troops are fairly tough, but even with them I have a hard time making it through a battle without losses.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
Oh god just bought CTP 2. 223 MB away from bliss :holy:

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
Disciples II is a budget-esque RTS game, but well worth it.

Who else wants to rule the world with large demons?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Redeadagain posted:

Disciples II is a budget-esque RTS game, but well worth it.

Who else wants to rule the world with large demons?

It's not RTS, it's turn-based and more like an RPG really.

Part of the joy of playing the game, is seeing your terrain type spreading all over the map. Especially if it begins to over take an enemy's.

I find the game easier to play as a warrior lord, because your units at least heal a bit every turn. Unless you're playing Empire or Elf, since they both have healing spells. In these cases, I pick a mage lord, since then you get plenty of spells to not only heal, but also damage monsters to soften them up.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
It's been almost 10 years, so I don't remember much about Disciples 2 except that it had some of the most beautiful art I'd ever seen in a game, and that I cheated to go through it because it wasn't much fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The MSJ posted:

It's not RTS, it's turn-based and more like an RPG really.

I've been seeing more and more people call turn based strategy games RTS, it's a really odd trend.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

I've been seeing more and more people call turn based strategy games RTS, it's a really odd trend.

I imagine this more due to the death of turn-based gameplay for everything being done in real time at hyper-speed--no matter how some concepts just work better one way or another.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I didn't play with it much yet, just checked out the basics. Disciples 3 is like a crossbreed between HoMM5 and Disciples 2. The world map is like Heroes 5 with the graphical style of Disciples 2. Combat now has movement introduced on a hexagonal grid, and while it's still the HP based fight from Disciples 2 (no 50 archers etc), they tried to spice it up with things like units able to take damage instead of others (defending units standing next to you from melee attacks), and intercepts (extra strike on units that try to pass next to yours). There are also special hexagons that give bonus to different kind of attacks. (For example a small hill, gives bonus ranged damage)

As far as I've played, it looks like they also dropped the special hero that you needed to get new lands/resources. Instead there seem to be spots which you need to tag with your hero to increase your land around them.

The rest is Disciples 2. From the Hero type selection (Warrior, Mage, Rogue Lord, they still give the same benefits like daily heal, multiple spell cast/turn and extra income) to the leveling of units and building in cities.

The big downside of the game is Loading Screens, the game loads a lot, and does this with loading screens, before combat, before building, gets pretty annoying.

Oh and if I already posted all this in this thread, the Russian version of game can be bought from Russian web shops for about 16$, and there are patches all around the net to turn all the text english.

Jabarto posted:

Just what are you supposed to do to keep your troops alive? Some of the Empire troops can heal, but the others are so weak that they'll usually die in a single round. Mountain Clan troops are fairly tough, but even with them I have a hard time making it through a battle without losses.

You can heal in every town for money, also depending on the level of the town spending turns in it heals your units. And of course there are healing potions and spells, and if you play a Warrior, all your units heal 15%/turn.
Edit: Just noticed you ask about mid combat. Well you need to know which mobs you can take without casualties especially at the start. You can examine the mobs and see how they are positioned, position your units that enemy mobs can only hit your highest HP/armor unit, and make sure to take out those first who could target others. The whole combat system is about this really. Position and focus fire. Also don't forget that if your unit dies in combat, it just wont get the XP for that fight. After resurrection you can keep on going with it, it will have all the previously earned XP and levels.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 30, 2010

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

I have a quick question about Arcanum. When I try to install the UAP fan patch with the GOG version it just pops up the message "Error Opening File" I went through the Gog forums and the only thing I can find that's somewhat similar is that it might not work with Vista/7 64 bit, has anyone else run into this issue?

edit:nvm, figured it out by running as admin, duh.

Cattywampus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 30, 2010

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Masters of orion 2 is one hell of a game to try and wrap my mind around.
Guess I should actually read that 200 page manual .pdf

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jesus I-War is way more difficult that I-War 2.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Just wanted to say that I finally decided to try out the Gobliiins Pack, never having played the originals, and am pleasantly surprised. Still on the first game and while some decisions like the persistent health bar, timing-sensitive puzzles and general leaps of logic work against it, it eliminates what was usually the worst element of point-and-click adventure games for me: running around the world blindly wondering if you've missed something or where your next goal is. Each screen is its own separate level that has to be solved before you progress to the next, you can only carry around a single inventory item, and you can't gently caress yourself over Sierra-style.

I love it. Why aren't there more point-and-click games like this?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Farquar posted:

And just like last time I'll say I don't know why so many people thought it was so hard. I thought the campaign was a lot easier than the HoMM campaigns.

I love the hell out of Disciples 2.
I loved it too but it was brutally unforgiving, especially in the main story levels. This was mostly because of how the story was integrated into it, instead of just giving you a pre-made map like HOMM did. No matter what you do on a certain map, some other group is going to break their alliance with you on Turn 34, or Turn 72 will introduce a bunch of tough enemies that need to be killed under a certain condition or you fail. For you to play on a map for an hour only to be instantly informed that you didn't prepare well enough for something completely random can be frustrating.

Plus, the AI cheated. For example, you could destroy everything except their castle and they still somehow had enough money to pump out high-level units on every turn.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Jesus I-War is way more difficult that I-War 2.

I-War is much more of a simulation than the sequel, but I think the flight model and combat is actually better and more rewarding. Once you master it you really feel like you're flying a big spaceship. The sequel lost quite a bit of the feel of the original in my opinion.

It's a pity the save-point feature of the mission pack Defiance wasn't integrated into the main game. I did push for that when I was working on the game, but there simply wasn't the budget or time to do it as it would have involved re-testing the entire game from scratch.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
There's another "Guess the Games" contest going on. Guess 10 games right from 10 screenshots and be entered into a drawing where 10 people will win a free game. Go here for the screenshots and more info.

New release coming this week, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

thedaian posted:

New release coming this week, too.

If it's I-War 2, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, because I seem to have misplaced my original copy of it. Then I'll create an Xbox 360 controller profile and share it with the internet, because twin-sticks + analogue triggers is probably the best way to play a game with 6DoF movement.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dominic White posted:

If it's I-War 2, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, because I seem to have misplaced my original copy of it. Then I'll create an Xbox 360 controller profile and share it with the internet, because twin-sticks + analogue triggers is probably the best way to play a game with 6DoF movement.

My Play CD started to fall apart, luckily I managed to rip an ISO of it before that happened.

As for I-War I'm stuck only a couple of missions in (Gateway). I do fine until the last gunstar comes online and then suddenly there's 4 patcoms and they're all shooting me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully the new game this week isn't that other overpriced adventure game that been on the "Coming List" column for a few weeks now.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just wanted to say that I finally decided to try out the Gobliiins Pack, never having played the originals, and am pleasantly surprised. Still on the first game and while some decisions like the persistent health bar, timing-sensitive puzzles and general leaps of logic work against it, it eliminates what was usually the worst element of point-and-click adventure games for me: running around the world blindly wondering if you've missed something or where your next goal is. Each screen is its own separate level that has to be solved before you progress to the next, you can only carry around a single inventory item, and you can't gently caress yourself over Sierra-style.

I love it. Why aren't there more point-and-click games like this?

You might like Puzzlebots, which works in a pretty similar way. I really enjoyed it , despite the fact it's fairly short. It's kind of a 'casual' game, but it has bags of charm. There's a demo you can try at https://www.wadjeteyegames.com

Oh, and you've made me think I should give Gobliiins a try.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Alchenar posted:

As for I-War I'm stuck only a couple of missions in (Gateway). I do fine until the last gunstar comes online and then suddenly there's 4 patcoms and they're all shooting me.
That's the most difficult of the early missions.

Stay behind the l-point and shoot at the enemies as they come through. They'll have to turn around and come back through the gunstar firing arcs to get you, plus you get to shoot at the most vulnerable parts of ships - the rear, which is unshielded because of the engines.

Save your missiles for the later waves, and use ripple fire missiles to soften up the whole wave.

Keep your front facing towards your foe, because that's where your shields overlap and are strongest. If you're being pounded try to LDS a short distance away to repair. You can often prioritize an LDS repair on the engineering screen to make a getaway even if your main thrusters are offline.

The closer you fire at an enemy ship the more damage you do. PBCs are really only effective at less than 8km ranges. At close range switch to manual rapid fire mode to overwhelm the enemy shields and rip them to pieces.

Compared to other games I-War 1 has a very limited set of weapons, but there's a really deep set of tactics you can use. Once you've unlearned how to fly other space-sims and learned I-War's techniques you can take on multiple foes easily.

Ravenger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 1, 2010

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I had Knights and Merchants and kind of forgot about it. Bought and installed the gog version, and realized why I forgot about it. Seriously this might be the worst game. I'm just doing the tutorial, and if I wasn't able to use F8 to super-speed the game, I would've committed suicide. As it is, I'm F8'n for an hour just to build a half dozen buildings before I can even start to build some troops. Game needs serious help.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I bought HOMM3 based on everyone's recommendations. I really, really like it but I'm having troubles setting up my heroes. Apparently I gimped my best hero by filling him up with lovely skills like Navigation and now he can't learn cool magic and stuff.

So what are the worthwhile skills/magic schools to invest in? Also, is there some in-game setting or keyboard shortcut that will display the enemy's movement/attack range during combat like in the later HOMM games?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

I bought HOMM3 based on everyone's recommendations. I really, really like it but I'm having troubles setting up my heroes. Apparently I gimped my best hero by filling him up with lovely skills like Navigation and now he can't learn cool magic and stuff.

So what are the worthwhile skills/magic schools to invest in? Also, is there some in-game setting or keyboard shortcut that will display the enemy's movement/attack range during combat like in the later HOMM games?

The best skills are wisdom (high level spells), earth magic (town portal, meteor shower), and air magic (dimension door, lightning bolt). There aren't really any BAD skills, but depending on the map/campaign, some can be pretty worthless. Stuff like logistics, offense, armorer, are pretty much always useful. Things like tactics can be fantastic if you have an army with slower troops, but are pretty useless for some of the faster armies. Don't ever take estates on your main hero if you can help it, but it's a great skill to have on a bunch of secondary heroes so they pump out cash for you.

As for displaying enemy movement, I think that if you enable the movement shadow and then mouse over their troops, it'll show you their range. I may be thinking of heroes 4 or 5 though, but I'm pretty sure that feature was in 3.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Stuff is mad blocked at work now, but check out http://www.celestialheavens.com/
They should have a skill wheel that lays out the prereq skills to get to the goodies later on.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
They have Heroes of Might and Magic II, I think I'm going to have to open an account now just to get this again, because I can't find my 15 year old CD's :w00t:

Although I might get the Might and Magic 6 pack, I always wanted to buy M&M the mandate of heaven by my parents wouldn't let me get it back then. Is it still worth playing?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Awesome Andy posted:

Masters of orion 2 is one hell of a game to try and wrap my mind around.
Guess I should actually read that 200 page manual .pdf

It's so worth it, though. I still have a Win95 version of MoO2 on CD-ROM that I install and patch each computer upgrade. That one disc has been in a lot of different kinds of drive over the last 13 years or so.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It amazes me Atari hasn't ported MoO to the DS or no one has tried making a 4X on the system. The game's so simple in execution but complex in design that it's perfect for a pick-up-and-play title. Sometimes I wish I owned my own company with endless buckets of money because these things seem like good ideas.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

al-azad posted:

It amazes me Atari hasn't ported MoO to the DS or no one has tried making a 4X on the system. The game's so simple in execution but complex in design that it's perfect for a pick-up-and-play title. Sometimes I wish I owned my own company with endless buckets of money because these things seem like good ideas.

Disciples II and Europa Universalis II were in development for the DS ages ago, but the company that was working on them vanished off the face of the Earth.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sethsez posted:

Disciples II and Europa Universalis II were in development for the DS ages ago, but the company that was working on them vanished off the face of the Earth.

I will say that Jagged Alliance on the DS is a pretty good port and well worth the year something delay because I never got around to finishing it on PC. Some dude was porting XCOM and that died off too.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

al-azad posted:

I will say that Jagged Alliance on the DS is a pretty good port and well worth the year something delay because I never got around to finishing it on PC. Some dude was porting XCOM and that died off too.

I forgot that came out.

Also, if you really want a 4X game on the DS there's always Civ Revolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Zarfol posted:

They have Heroes of Might and Magic II, I think I'm going to have to open an account now just to get this again, because I can't find my 15 year old CD's :w00t:

Although I might get the Might and Magic 6 pack, I always wanted to buy M&M the mandate of heaven by my parents wouldn't let me get it back then. Is it still worth playing?

The graphics are slightly above doom-quality I think, but it's a lot of fun and worth playing. Plus you get 5 other games for the price, and the Xeen saga is a classic.