Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Has anyone read the graphic novels? I was returning UA to the library and happened to see Color of Magic/Light Fantastic, so I picked it up.

They're not particularly good, mainly because the comic artists/writers don't have Pratchett's comedic timing. That's a pretty common problem, it seems, with his works on different mediums.

The real rare graphic novel is the FaustERIC one. It's not in print anymore, no stores have it, and I've barely seen people on the net ever talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

The real rare graphic novel is the FaustERIC one. It's not in print anymore, no stores have it, and I've barely seen people on the net ever talk about it.
Looks like they're republishing it, just after I bought the loving paperback

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I just wanted to remind any brit in here that Going Postal is on this Sunday. I really wish there was a way to see it outside of the UK. I'd pay :10bux: to see it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Mister Roboto posted:

They're not particularly good, mainly because the comic artists/writers don't have Pratchett's comedic timing. That's a pretty common problem, it seems, with his works on different mediums.

I've only ever seen Mort as a graphic novel, didn't even realize there were more of them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is it all in one part on Sunday or is it two parts like the other ones? If there's a second part on Monday I won't be able to watch it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

thebardyspoon posted:

Is it all in one part on Sunday or is it two parts like the other ones? If there's a second part on Monday I won't be able to watch it.

Two parts. Sunday and Monday 6pm-8pm. Sorry.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Is there any way to watch it in the UK, but without access to Sky?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Can't wait. Will hopefully be more rewatchable than Colour of Magic.

In other news, did you all know there's quite a bit of Discworld fanart about?

Did you?!

Oh please yourselves then.

Click here for the full 1776x666 image.

Click here for the full 800x1024 image.

Click here for the full 592x773 image.

Click here for the full 914x750 image.

Click here for the full 572x676 image.

Click here for the full 667x900 image.

Click here for the full 555x814 image.

Click here for the full 536x1110 image.

Do you know I'd wager if I took a poll out of which art style out of the above fitted least with Discworld we'd all have the same answer?

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 28, 2010

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I would say the smugface Moist Von Lipwig in golden suit one is the only that looks "wrong" to me. I really like the first picture for some reason.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Staggy posted:

Is there any way to watch it in the UK, but without access to Sky?

A friend who has Sky One? A pub that's showing it? (hoping a bit much there I guess) Wait for the DVD?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

thebardyspoon posted:

I would say the smugface Moist Von Lipwig in golden suit one is the only that looks "wrong" to me. I really like the first picture for some reason.

That reminds me, the best Graphic Novel is the Guards! Guards! one. I just simply like the weird World War 2 Soldier/Gladiator/Chain Mail look the Watch pulls off.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm still amazed how much that fanart nails my mental image of Vetinari.

And that's not at all how I pictured Nobby, but still quite suitable.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Color isn't that great so far. It's kinda cool to read Discworld in a different form though. I wouldn't pay money for it though.

It does have a few things going for it though: Rincewind isn't a fifty year old man, and Twoflower isn't an American.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jusupov posted:

I've only ever seen Mort as a graphic novel, didn't even realize there were more of them.

Someone can probably correct me, but I believe these are the ones in graphic novel form:

Colour of Magic
Light Fantastic
Mort (I've never seen this one, either)
Eric
Guards! Guards!
and I'm pretty sure there's two more that slip my mind at the moment...

Nilbop posted:

Earlier in this thread, there was a poster named Vetinari who had that as his avatar. Best combo ever, though I think he's been banned?

Yeah, Color isn't that great so far. It's kinda cool to read Discworld in a different form though. I wouldn't pay money for it though.

It does have a few things going for it though: Rincewind isn't a fifty year old man, and Twoflower isn't an American.

It's weird, the Brits just can't seem to do this sort of medium adaptation right, despite this kind of comedy being a staple of the culture.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 28, 2010

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rincewind being old doesn't really bother me - sure in the first two books he was described as young - but all that means is he was young for a wizard which probably doesn't mean the same as it does for pretty much anyone else.

And if you'd ever had to deal with American tourists in any significant capacity, you'd realise that Pterry pretty much nailed the average American tourist. The Agatean Empire has elements of multiple cultures - drawing elements from Japan, Turkey and America most notably.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

It's weird, the Brits just can't seem to do this sort of medium adaptations right, despite this kind of comedy being a staple of the culture.

Oh we can, the Hogfather one was pretty decent. SKY just let some egos butt in and Terry is too nice to call the whole thing off.

I'm still surprised how he let it happen though, this was the same man who decided a Discworld Movie wasn't going to happen overseas because they wanted to make Death human.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mr. Moon posted:

Judging by the shepherd's crook and general face, I'd say that's an older Tiffany. Given the title of the book, that's not far-fetched.

Older Tiffany is possible, but there's also Granny Aching to consider. Sure, she's dead and explicitly doesn't wear midnight, but still.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

With the name, it HAS to be an older Tiffany.

The title is based on an award winning poem titled "When I am old I shall wear Purple" I believe.

So when she's old, she shall wear midnight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just caught up with this thread... 400 posts since I last looked.

To whoever said about Terry carrying on with a new writer after he retires... not gonna happen. I asked him a few years ago about that, and he said Discworld dies with him.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well I don't need to worry about missing the last half of Going Postal because I completely forgot the first part was on today.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Bugger, I didn't know it was on, I just randomly flipped the channel to it. Does Sky have catchup on demand?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh my, Claire Foy. :swoon:

\/\/\/ I miss the OAPs (heh, old age postmen) from the novel.

They were in! and Going Postal was pretty drat good I think.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 31, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was pretty neat, but I do wish they followed the back story with all the undelivered letters including the other people who got the first bunch Moist dropped off. Not to mention the auto sorter machine.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

It was definitely a big step up from Colour of Magic, particularly in the gorgeous set and prop department and strong casting.

Richard Coyle played Moist as a bit more of a crazy bastard than I envisioned him and Poirot adored chewing the scenary as Reacher Gilt but they were both better than I excpected and oh my Claire Foy hit the nail on the head with Adora Belle. Charles Dance was typically excellent as Vetinari too.

Terry said he oversaw one particular scene in development because he wanted it done very carefully. I had assumed this was the "Deliver Us!" scene but that was smashed into a fight with Mr Gryle so I'm going to assume it was the excellent first scene where Moist is being haunted by the letters and black ink starts pouring down on him when he's all alone in the bath. Spooky!

Random thoughts:

Angua was fit as gently caress but we didn't get any Vimes. C'maaaaaaaaan!
They did pronounce Uberwald "Uber-vowel-duh" constantly.
Seriously the sets were loving gorgeous.
Mr Pony was played by the guy from the Post Office adverts, if any British goon is wondering where they saw him from before.
Ridcully had his fly-fishing hat!

Terry also got a great line to finish the show on: "Well, that's an embuggerance."

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

And if you'd ever had to deal with American tourists in any significant capacity, you'd realise that Pterry pretty much nailed the average American tourist. The Agatean Empire has elements of multiple cultures - drawing elements from Japan, Turkey and America most notably.

B...but I myself am an American tourist!

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Nilbop posted:

It was definitely a big step up from Colour of Magic, particularly in the gorgeous set and prop department and strong casting.
Definitely, most of the actors were pretty much exactly as I had pictured them (as characters).

Nilbop posted:

Richard Coyle played Moist as a bit more of a crazy bastard than I envisioned him and Poirot adored chewing the scenary as Reacher Gilt but they were both better than I excpected and oh my Claire Foy hit the nail on the head with Adora Belle. Charles Dance was typically excellent as Vetinari too.
I had never realised how good Suchet is at being sinister and evil before - he nailed it exactly. Dance as Vetinari was perfect, IMO - he was charming, urbane and ruthless. Adora Belle was one of the hardest characters to do properly, I think, and Foy nailed it.

Random thoughts:

Nilbop posted:

Angua was fit as gently caress but we didn't get any Vimes. C'maaaaaaaaan!
They did pronounce Uberwald "Uber-vowel-duh" constantly.
Seriously the sets were loving gorgeous.
Mr Pony was played by the guy from the Post Office adverts, if any British goon is wondering where they saw him from before.
Ridcully had his fly-fishing hat!
Angua was not as I had envisaged her. She's supposed to look like a model (up until she tears your throat out). I always pictured Ridcully as taller and larger - maybe he'll get to throw his weight about in the next one, whenever that is.

Nilbop posted:

Terry also got a great line to finish the show on: "Well, that's an embuggerance."
Very good to see him in this. Hopefully it means he has the strength for many more years to come.

I liked that the first part pretty much stuck to the book. There were a few bits missing - Gilt's parrot, etc - but it was very faithful. Towards the end of the second one, I kept getting distracted by how different to the book it was and missed out on what they actually did.

On the plus side, Going Postal is coming off my bookshelf and I'm going to try to reread it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was pretty awesome but nobody else noticed we had no mandatory appearince from Death?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm struggling to remember where he appeared in the book. I would have liked to have seen him right at the beginning though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm also a bit sad we didn't get a scene where the Old Posties accepted Moist into their order after that trial of a typical postmans journey.

The costumes and set designs were lovely too.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm also a bit sad we didn't get a scene where the Old Posties accepted Moist into their order after that trial of a typical postmans journey.

The costumes and set designs were lovely too.

The whole thing about Anghammarad and Bloody Stupid Johnson's machine too, but the cuts were necessary. If this was the same team that had done Hogather or Colour of Magic we'd be cutting to an unrelated scene every 15 seconds regardless of pacing or place.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'll certainly get this on DVD when it comes out, thats for sure. Hope enough people viewed so we can get Making Money or The Truth.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Flipswitch posted:

I'm struggling to remember where he appeared in the book. I would have liked to have seen him right at the beginning though.

If I remember correctly he only appeared in Going Postal to collect Angharammad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Such a shame, the fellow who did his voice perfectly in Hogfather passed away a few years ago too.

And Christopher Lee would be too rich for SKYs blood.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SeanBeansShako posted:

And Christopher Lee would be too rich for SKYs blood.

Christopher Lee did it for Colour of Magic (and the cartoons from years ago).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Christopher Lee did it for Colour of Magic (and the cartoons from years ago).

I know he did it for the cartoons, but not for Colour. I've never really watched Colour.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is the consensus that I can show Going Postal to non-Discworld fans and *not* feel embarrassed?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

So is the consensus that I can show Going Postal to non-Discworld fans and *not* feel embarrassed?

Probably, but note that the plot's been necessarily simplified for TV. Moist is more hapless and less clever, Adora's a little less rear end-kickingly awesome and a little more damsel-in-distress love interest, and Reacher Gilt is now mostly a psychotic scenery-chewing villain. And the fantasy aspects of Discworld are largely reduced to the golems, Angua, and the panopticon. It's still a very impressive production.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

B...but I myself am an American tourist!

Myself too. :ohdear:

I guess my confusing big loud American attitudes wouldn't be too popular in Pterry's home.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

If they like Doctor Who yeah.

Proably if they like Hollyoaks too. Rat-arse of a show that it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LGBT War Machine posted:

Angua was not as I had envisaged her. She's supposed to look like a model (up until she tears your throat out).

I always pictured Ridcully as taller and larger - maybe he'll get to throw his weight about in the next one, whenever that is.
They never seem to be able to get the wizards right. The popular conception of wizards is tall spindly wizened and ancient, and that seems to trump the books' description of them being bloody nearly spherical, and it's why we get Rincewind looking like he's 60.

I always pictured Angua with Farrah Hair for some reason.

She's got the scary look down though.

:gonk:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 1, 2010