Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Donraj posted:

Any idea what spell Malack was hitting Sabine with? Looks like an Unholy Smite, but that doesn't make much sense.

Probably Finger of Death, but it could also be Harm with that metamagic feat that turns touch spells into rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
This is slightly off topic, but it shares the same kind of d&d humour that OOTS does, i'm sure anyone that reads this thread would get a kick out of it:

Has anyone else been watching 'Doraleous & Associates' at the Escapist? Most of the escapist stuff is crap (apart from zero puntuation), but this new weekly series they've been running is getting better and better each week. The first 3 episodes are a little shaky, but once it gets to the 4th episode on it starts getting really good.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doraleous-and-associates

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
The spell could be anything, in that edition there was a feat that let you describe how any spell you cast would appear as. Rays of disintegrate as conjured unicorns, crazy poo poo like that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Donraj posted:

Any idea what spell Malack was hitting Sabine with? Looks like an Unholy Smite, but that doesn't make much sense.

There's a ton of necromancy spells that would manifest as black lines. Negative Energy Bolt/Ray, Enervation, Energy Drain, etc.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

The spell could be anything, in that edition there was a feat that let you describe how any spell you cast would appear as. Rays of disintegrate as conjured unicorns, crazy poo poo like that.

Reminds me of Jim's Magic Missle from the PVP/Penny Arcade D&D games hosted on Wizards' website.

Also, Thog is the best reason for the continued existence of the Linear Guild.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I enjoy the fact that Nale gets his needlessly convoluted and circuitous plans from his barmaid mother.
Yeah, that is pretty goddamn funny. She is a barmaid MASTERMIND!

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

crime fighting hog posted:

I think that was a Faerun-specific feat.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Goffer posted:

This is slightly off topic, but it shares the same kind of d&d humour that OOTS does, i'm sure anyone that reads this thread would get a kick out of it:

Has anyone else been watching 'Doraleous & Associates' at the Escapist? Most of the escapist stuff is crap (apart from zero puntuation), but this new weekly series they've been running is getting better and better each week. The first 3 episodes are a little shaky, but once it gets to the 4th episode on it starts getting really good.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doraleous-and-associates

I just went through it and your comments all actually seem to be completely spot on.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Donraj posted:

I think that was a Faerun-specific feat.

True but I believe they reprinted it in one of the generic source books later on. Doesn't really matter. If your DM doesn't care (which he shouldn't) you can have your stuff look however the hell you want.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It seems like that would make Spellcraft checks to determine which spell is being cast that much harder.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That was the mechanical benefit of it. I think it was called Thematic Magic or something along those lines.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Malack seems like the kind of dude who would bust out a Finger of Death on somebody.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Quit slacking, got a new one.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
nvm

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I, too, would forget everything and run like a child toward the dinosaur stables.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Pope Guilty posted:

I, too, would forget everything and run like a child toward the dinosaur stables.

Killing anyone who got in my way.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pope Guilty posted:

Really, who wouldn't? Doesn't every little boy go through a phase where he knows absolutely everything there is to know about dinosaurs?

And nice to see Rich is not going to use a strip to fill in the other characters about what's going on.

Wonderful use of the word defenestration too.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

seaborgium posted:

Wonderful use of the word defenestration too.

Better than D&D, certainly, where the defenestrating sphere spell emphatically does not throw you out any windows.

Except in any game I'm running. House rule: if you're the target of that spell, and there's a window anywhere within the spell's range, your rear end is going out it. :smug:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Better than D&D, certainly, where the defenestrating sphere spell emphatically does not throw you out any windows.

Except in any game I'm running. House rule: if you're the target of that spell, and there's a window anywhere within the spell's range, your rear end is going out it. :smug:

Defenestrating Sphere totally throws you out windows!

Spell Compendium posted:

If a window is in range, the subject is automatically thrown in that direction.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Heh . . . didn't realize they'd changed that for Spell Compendium. It definitely does not do that in Complete Arcane.

So thanks for seeing the error of your ways and adopting my house rule, Wizards!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It's that time again.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's that time again.

It really impresses me that with such simple art, one can still see the subtle smirk on the "Maybe. Maybe not." I'm just startled that Haley isn't genre savvy enough to pick up on it... or maybe she is but assumes they're being monitored.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sfwarlock posted:

It really impresses me that with such simple art, one can still see the subtle smirk on the "Maybe. Maybe not." I'm just startled that Haley isn't genre savvy enough to pick up on it... or maybe she is but assumes they're being monitored.
She's picking up on it before she gets sidetracked. "I can't help the feeling that we're..."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Not only did it advance the main plot but I actually found myself chuckling at all three of the jokes, a very good strip, all things considered.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
"Mysterious Circumstances!" Haha, the look on his little stick face as he says that is priceless.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Well there goes my hope that the Empress of Blood is his current wife.
Or maybe one week was enough time.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Considering Girard's last name is Draketooth, is it possible he has some draconian heritage thus giving him the longevity needed to still be around 60? years after the gates were sealed?

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Yadoppsi posted:

Considering Girard's last name is Draketooth, is it possible he has some draconian heritage thus giving him the longevity needed to still be around 60? years after the gates were sealed?
High level D&D characters (especially casters) pretty much don't die of old age unless they want to.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yadoppsi posted:

If you read Start of Darkness, Dorukan was still around until about 6 months before the start of the strip. It's not unreasonable for Girard to be alive and kicking, especially given that he is a high-level caster as Zetetica said.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna laugh if Girard was actually a polymorphed dragon, cause my old GM used to pull that poo poo constantly.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Every NPC is now a dragon. Your mother? Yeah, a dragon.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Every NPC is now a dragon. Your mother? Yeah, a dragon.

Sweet, now I get the half-dragon template!

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Nope, she didn't know it but your dad was a dragon too. You, though, are adopted.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Gassire posted:

Nope, she didn't know it but your dad was a dragon too. You, though, are adopted.

From the Tiamat Home for Half Dragon Orphans.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy poo poo a new comic

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo a new comic

I sure as poo poo didn't know, I'll leave this here: In parts of the Pacific Rim, ylang ylang, with its heavy and sweet scent similar to jasmine, is associated with weddings and honeymoons. Ylang ylang essential oil comes in four grades: ylang extra, ylang I, ylang II, and ylang III. The grades vary based on when the oil is removed in the steam distillation process. The lengthier the distillation, which generally can take up to 24 hours, the lighter the scent of the oil — ylang extra has the strongest scent and ylang III has the weakest. All grades of ylang ylang essential oil have a fairly heavy scent compared to lighter scented oils, so they should be added carefully to a blend. Ylang ylang can easily overpower less exuberant scents.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

It's also what Haley bought all those boxes of from the Rouges' guild. The bounty hunters must have got covered in it.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm gonna laugh if Girard was actually a polymorphed dragon, cause my old GM used to pull that poo poo constantly.

*raises hand* Guilty. Exalted one-shot. Heroes rescue and protect a girl who turns out to be an amnesiac lesser elemental dragon in human form. Naturally, they helped her regain her memory and she helped them beat the bad guys at the end.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

EndOfTheWorld posted:

*raises hand* Guilty. Exalted one-shot. Heroes rescue and protect a girl who turns out to be an amnesiac lesser elemental dragon in human form. Naturally, they helped her regain her memory and she helped them beat the bad guys at the end.

See, that's not so bad. I ended up with a lot of "Hmm you beat that wizard pretty easily so instead of dying I GUESS HE WAS A POLYMORPHED DRAGON!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I used polymorphed dragons like they were going out of style

Then again this was in high school and I had just finished the Dragonlance novels SILVARA WAS HOT OKAY