Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Palleon posted:

I just grabbed Sins of a Solar Empire from Impulse for 4 bucks after it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'm wondering if anyone has any more general advice, and which race is easiest to play as, because I'm really, really bad at it. I just can't seem to make enough ships to keep up with the easy AI, pirates are overwhelmingly powerful, and it seems like there just aren't enough resources to build ships, upgrade, or develop planets, I struggle to do just one (been working on small, 9 planet maps to start, maybe I need to go bigger).

Also, are any of the expansions "essential"? Entrenchment looked like it could be really interesting, but I wasn't sure about Diplomacy, was hoping to hear some thoughts from people who have played them.

I'm loving terrible at this game, too, and it seems as though nobody reading this thread is willing/able to help out. The best I can tell you is that the game has an adaptive difficulty mechanism that basically counts your ships and how strong they are and awards itself with comparable ships in unmonitored regions. That's why when you show up with an invasion force in a system you haven't been to in a few minutes/ever, they've got the perfect complement to it. It sucks, but it's one of those "get over it or move along" kinds of things.

Also, gently caress pirate bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

GeneralFai posted:

I'm loving terrible at this game, too, and it seems as though nobody reading this thread is willing/able to help out. The best I can tell you is that the game has an adaptive difficulty mechanism that basically counts your ships and how strong they are and awards itself with comparable ships in unmonitored regions. That's why when you show up with an invasion force in a system you haven't been to in a few minutes/ever, they've got the perfect complement to it. It sucks, but it's one of those "get over it or move along" kinds of things.

Also, gently caress pirate bases.

Well for me it's more like being in the situation of having a capital ship and 8 frigates, and thinking I'm tough poo poo, and all of the sudden a capital ship, 42 frigates, and 8 cruiser carriers come in and annihilate me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I'm starting a lot of games this summer and would like to save a handy .doc file for it all.

Keep in mind I already bought them, and I'm willing to go through them all eventually. (nice tax refund and such, and summer time!)

Skate 3
Sacred 2 (playing this with a friend coop, so good class combinations would be helpful)
Lost Planet 2
Prototype
Just Cause 1 + 2
Saints Row 1

Achievement whore here, so let me know if I can screw myself out of an achievement in those games.

Just Cause 1:
Since you own Just Cause 2, take JC1 but a trashcan outside and see how far you can throw the disc and still make it in the trashcan. Seriously, there is no benefit to playing the first game and it has almost none of the features that make the sequel an enjoyable and fun romp. Also, no plot connection or references between the two.

Saints Row 1:
Kill one gang at a time. This prevents you from loosing too much territory from each gang counterattacking you. Once you beat a gang, they never counterattack. When they attempt to capture your territory, kill them off since it gets you your money back and it gives you cred.

As early as possible buy new, purple clothes. This gives you a cred bonus on every mission you complete.

Use the cheap handgun as its easiest to buy a ton of from the shop.

Unlike GTA, you're health regenerates, so if you're hurt just hang around for a few seconds.

There is no order to the gangs, they are each self contained stories that have their own difficulty progressions. The final mission for a gang will not show up until you conquer all of that gangs turf.

Your money shows up at your safe-houses inside of a safe. Every 24 hours each territory produces its income and teleports to your safe.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Does anyone have anything for Majora's Mask? I just picked it up on VC, and I wanted to know if there's anything I should know.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I'm starting a lot of games this summer and would like to save a handy .doc file for it all.

Prototype

On skilling up in prototype: A lot of the non-power-specific skills (I think they're mostly in the "combat" category) are fairly useless since you cannot use them on advanced enemies and they are pure overkill on normal humans.
Also, here are a few useful skills to look out for:

Generally all upgrades labeled "Core" as they will unlock other important skill further down the line (such as devastators)
Hunter Dirtnap - Get this as soon as you can. There will be a segment in the game where it is nigh essential and it is pretty useful all around
Whipfist & "zip-line"-upgrade - Makes helicopters much less of a hassle
Patsy - Makes taking out bases stealthily a good lot easier
Air-attack upgrade for the blade - Pretty much the most powerful attack in the game

Oh, and also don't underestimate the effectivity of the assault rifle/machine gun, especially once you've got a few upgrades. They are probably the best weapons against human enemies.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 1, 2010

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Saints Row 1

Do lots of activities to stockpile cash and respect before you do the story missions. Wear lots of purple to get respect boosts.

Get a guide to do the Hitman missions since they're very frustrating in this game, but they unlock great weapons (a gold plated magnum, a super shotgun, and a platinum SMG, and ultimately a suped up rocket launcher) and doing them beforehand will give a large pool of respect.

I can't remember if this is right but I think if you get high enough respect you basically get infinity. That might be just in the second game though.

Stop by Freckle Bitch's to pick up some burgers, you can use these to heal yourself instantly when you're in a bind. Smoking a blunt will increase your damage resistance, drinking will buff your strength.

If you point your reticule at a cashier, you can hold them up and have them take you to the safe, which allows you to rob the store. You can also break in when the shop is closed at night, crack the safe, and load the box you get into your car, which you then drive to a pawn shop. If you try to rob a store twice in a row there will be a security guard waiting for you. Try getting a van and doing like 4 robberies in the high end retail area, that'll get you some nice cash.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Elswyyr posted:

Does anyone have anything for Majora's Mask? I just picked it up on VC, and I wanted to know if there's anything I should know.

Slowing down time is clutch. Once you get the ocarina, play the Song of Time backwards to cut the speed of time in half for the duration of the three days. Do this every time you reset the cycle so you have plenty of time to do whatever you need, especially when are you beating a dungeon.

Conversely, playing each note of the Song of Time twice lets you skip half a day, if you are working on the Bomber's notebook this can come in handy.

You will keep weapons/items and masks at the reset of each cycle, but not reagents (rupees, arrows, etc.).

Killing the big bird in Termina Field nets you an Orange Rupee (worth 200 IIRC), so do this at the reset of each cycle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

Keep in mind that everything but masks, rupies, current item inventory, and completed dungeons resets when you play the song of time. Therefore, you have to make the best of the time given to you. Since there are only 4 dungeons in the game, don't worry if it takes you a test run to figure out a dungeon's or a mask giver's gimmicks before you are able to clean house inside.

You don't need to collect all the masks, but if you do you can transform Link into the Fierce Deity which is completely bad-rear end.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Palleon posted:

I just grabbed Sins of a Solar Empire from Impulse for 4 bucks after it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I'm wondering if anyone has any more general advice, and which race is easiest to play as, because I'm really, really bad at it. I just can't seem to make enough ships to keep up with the easy AI, pirates are overwhelmingly powerful, and it seems like there just aren't enough resources to build ships, upgrade, or develop planets, I struggle to do just one (been working on small, 9 planet maps to start, maybe I need to go bigger).

Also, are any of the expansions "essential"? Entrenchment looked like it could be really interesting, but I wasn't sure about Diplomacy, was hoping to hear some thoughts from people who have played them.

I haven't played Sins in quite a while but I'll do my best.

Entrenchment is pretty much essential I think. The Starbases really add to the game as cash/culture makers and as bulky defences so you don't have to rely on slow moving fleets constantly. Diplomacy isn't quite as straight forward with its benefits but it is so cheap I can't really say not to get it.

I'm not great at Sins so all I can really advise is try not to stretch yourself too far out in terms of colonization or research (for example I tend to just go for two planets nearest to me early on and stick with them for a while), and keep yourself advancing economically to trading stations as early as possible.

Once the credits start rolling in you can pretty much keep a good healthy fleet of frigates (the long range ones are essential) to ward off the AI. As for the pirates, all I can really recommend is tipping them towards the opponent as they're preparing to launch, but the more you fund them, the stronger they get, so occasionally you have to take a bit of a beating to avoid funding them too quickly. On the other hand though the pirates to become rather irrelevant quite fast once you get the first starbase on the go.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Elswyyr posted:

The others got the points you need to know right, but I'll just say: the time element is part of what makes the game good. You have plenty of enough time to do any one task you want, so please don't think of it as some kind of crutch forcing you to do things in a rushed manner. So many people get all :tizzy: over the 3-day limit when it's not only not a problem, but works to make the story fascinating.

Also as a bit of a warning, the very beginning of the game (before you get the ocarina) is kind of a chore because you're forced to do a bunch of poo poo as a Deku Scrub and in general you have little freedom. The whole thing opens up immensely right after this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Elswyyr posted:

-The Lover's Mask is the longest and hardest one to get. Save it for last because it takes all 3 days to accomplish.
-The ugly-rear end vulture out in the main field by the forest drops 200 rupees every time you kill him. He's tough, but a little effort with the bow will drop him. WATCH OUT because he WILL steal items from you if he hits you, but IIRC you can buy them back from a store in the town or roll back time to get it back. But he's easy to dodge with a Z-lock.
-Those ugly looking statues you come across everywhere will blast off into orbit if hit with a bomb. Some of them hide holes you can get stuff in.
-Once you beat the snowy mountain area, a slew of stuff opens up, including a store that will upgrade your sword permanently with the right item. You need the gold dust you win from the race there, and it needs to be done with (I think) at least a day and a half to spare since they take time to upgrade the sword.
-Save the fairies in every dungeon. The rewards are worth it.
-The Stone Mask is very easy to get once you have The Lens of Truth and will make your life easier.
-The seemingly useless cow-head looking mask is actually extremely useful. It gets you access to the Milk Bar in town that opens at night. Inside you can get another mask and a cool scene if you have all 3 transformation masks AND, for 200 Rupees (conveniently), you can get a bottle of special milk that gives you UNLIMITED MAGIC UNTIL YOU ROLL BACK TIME.

EDIT: And always, always, always remember to bank your Rupees before you roll back time. IIRC, you get a bigger wallet at certain savings milestones.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ineffiable posted:

Prototype

Achievement whore here, so let me know if I can screw myself out of an achievement in those games.

Make sure you consume no more then 10 civilians to get the 'Nice Guy' achievement. This is actually pretty easy, there should be military and zombies around when you need a health boost.

When you get the ability to have an 'infected vision', fly around in a helicopter and look for towers that glow. Blow those up to get easy XP. Keep doing this to get more. You can do this on foot, but you'll need to destroy the tower before it hatches.

Elswyyr posted:

The bank has a limit on the amount of Rupees you can store, but you can bypass it a bit by depositing 1 less then the maximum, filling up your wallet, and then depositing it all at once.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Another thing to add that I forgot: The game is made for sequence breaking. Once you have the song you need to enter a dungeon, you don't need to go through the steps to get the song again if you have to roll back. Just go to where you need to go and play it. In addition to that, if you find that you don't have the time to accomplish some sidequest in an area or situation that's only opened once the dungeon's boss is killed, at the start of every dungeon there is a portal that opens after it's finished that takes you straight to the boss fight. This means you can replay your favorite bosses as often as you want.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

triggerpappy posted:

The Game is "Place to Pee" an interactive urinal video game

Things to know before playing the first time:

I think its always important to have about 6-12 beers before starting and never try to play in another person's urinal. It can have serious consequences.

http://www.fragworld.org/frag/dugg/detail/17-play-while-you-piss-interactive-urinal-video-game/favs.html#tpdugg_favs

That's amazing! Any more games I can find like that?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Anything for Metro 2033? I already know about the librarians

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mercedes posted:

Anything for Metro 2033? I already know about the librarians

The Hellsing is the best weapon pretty much and the stealth suit is the best armour which you can buy once you hit the Armoury level. You shouldn't have any ammunition problems if you scrounge a lot, there is also a Silenced Bastard very early on once you go to the surface for the first time, it'll be in the same room you start in (does this even need a spoiler?, it isn't plot related but just to play it safe). This is very useful to know for the stealth sections early-game. You can also do a lot of charitable acts very early on which will be crucial later.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips for Darksiders?

I just recently started work at Gamestop, so you can tell I'm taking advantage of the whole "take a game home for a few days to try it out" thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elswyyr posted:

I don't think there's anything you can outright miss, and I'm hesitant to tell you how to get some of the masks (it's fun to figure it out yourself). There are a few very useful masks you can get right off the bat however, so here are some hints instead:

-Rescue the Fairy again after the first three-day cycle.
-Look for a robbery occurring at night of the First Day in Clock Town.
-Look for the Windmill guy at night in Clock Town; take his mask and use it on the baby chicks at the ranch.

And some others I'll edit in later.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Assassins Creed 2, keeping in mind I've never even touched the first game. I played up to opening up the second city in Italy so far.

I'd like to know if this game ever gets more "hitman"-ish, with more of a "hey there's a guy here who needs killing and he happens to hang out in this weird place...have fun!" style. Like I get a big kick out of games that will let you do things like study the guards routes, spy on the compound from a distance and then let you concoct your own retarded mission impossible plans to make that guy end up dead and leave everyone scratching their heads on how it happened.

Some thoughts so far:

- The whole Abstergo/Animus thing seems like a weird justification for having neato UI and in-game displays. I'm sure it's more fleshed out and explained in the first game but the way they rush through the intro doesn't help. I sure as poo poo don't understand any of it, but I'm also no good at keeping track of these kind of high-production game plots OR stock ancient conspiracy plots anyway.

- The only real fun I've found in the whole thing so far is climbing and running around on the rooftops. Everything else seems kind of annoying in comparison. I really don't like walking around on the streets.

- I like the idea of having a home city/villa for upgrading and the dress-up options. Do you ever get your speed/jump distance upgraded?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Darksiders?

The completed (all ten pieces) Abyssum Armour carries through to subsequent play throughs (and makes you pretty drat impervious).

From the pause menu, go to options/enter code and enter "The Hollow Lord" for a free scythe (available from Vulgrim the shopkeeper). Otherwise I think it's 1000 souls(?).

Don't try to get the "Dark Rider" trophy/achievement (ride for 100 miles) while actually holding the controller. If you really want it, just rubberband the stick and do something else for a while. It can take a couple of hours even after all the riding you've done by the end of the game.

The "Fury's Embrace" legendary enhancement will show the location of all chests in the game. Including one in Drowned Pass that you can't actually get unless you pick it up when the gatekeeper puts you in the Shadow World. Don't waste your time.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Darksiders?

For God's loving sake: When you get to the point in the game where you have to punch a block with a bomb on the top over a small gap DO NOT PUSH IT ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT FIRST.

If you do, it will get permanently stuck and the game's autosave will no doubt kick in when you try to leave the room and come back. I am usually anal about keeping multiple saves, but I didn't see the point in a Zelda clone so I was hosed out of 9 hours. I didn't have the heart to start over.

I searched all over and I could not find any way to reset that drat block.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wouldn't it reset if you left the dungeon instead of just leaving the room?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Assassins Creed 2

Some thoughts so far:

- The whole Abstergo/Animus thing seems like a weird justification for having neato UI and in-game displays. I'm sure it's more fleshed out and explained in the first game but the way they rush through the intro doesn't help. I sure as poo poo don't understand any of it, but I'm also no good at keeping track of these kind of high-production game plots OR stock ancient conspiracy plots anyway.

The strategy guide by Prima does a pretty good job of explaining a lot of it, especially for folks like us who didn't play the first game. A lot of the impact of the endgame hinges on the Animus idea, but a deep understanding isn't really necessary.

quote:

Do you ever get your speed/jump distance upgraded?

I've read that your jumping abilities will automatically and incrementally increase as the game goes on. I believe it -- by the end of the game you are definitely making jumps you probably couldn't have at the beginning, especially straight up.

Also:

- You can pick up the brooms and such that civilians drop -- you can sweep guards quite handily with them. Just bump into the civilians and they'll let go.
- Run into the annoying minstrel dudes to make them drop their lute(?), and they'll stop bothering you. Just don't do it with guards too close.
- You don't need to spend a whole lot of money on weapons, especially near the start. I really didn't use anything but the wrist blades for most of the game, and the renovations to Monterrigioni will pay off more in the long run.
- The poison blade is great fun to play around with.
- You've probably figured this out by now, but the easiest way to get through the combat is to counter, counter, counter.
- Put on subtitles if you want to have any clue what anyone is saying.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Cbouncerrun posted:

Wouldn't it reset if you left the dungeon instead of just leaving the room?

I backtracked as far as the game would let me and returned. The block was still stuck. For plot-related reasons you can only go back so far.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Majora's Mask

There's an LP of this running currently. Obviously the videos and thread will contain spoilers if you go beyond where you've played, but if you're hung up on the obligatory intro section, this post (which contains spoilers) might be appreciated.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd like to know if this game ever gets more "hitman"-ish, with more of a "hey there's a guy here who needs killing and he happens to hang out in this weird place...have fun!" style. Like I get a big kick out of games that will let you do things like study the guards routes, spy on the compound from a distance and then let you concoct your own retarded mission impossible plans to make that guy end up dead and leave everyone scratching their heads on how it happened.
Not really. The closest you get are the optional assassination missions, which are quite fun. But the game's idea of an assassin is not necessarily a stealthy hitman type character, and generally the easiest way to kill someone is to just run up and stab him in the head.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is Red Alert 3 multiplayer still going? I played through the campaign over Christmas and now that school's out I have trouble beating the skirmish AI.

Also, any advice on Dawn of War 2?

On the subject of Majora's mask...

quote:

-Rescue the Fairy again after the first three-day cycle.
-Look for a robbery occurring at night of the First Day in Clock Town.
I'd like to add that, in case it wasn't obvious, you should do both of these in your human form. The other thing to immediately repeat in your human form is the Bombers' hide-and-seek game. Instead of just telling you off for being a Deku Scrub, they'll give you a notebook that lets you keep track of the goings-on in Clock Town.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Elswyyr posted:

Once you get the ocarina, go to the laundry place (south east part of Clock town) at night and get the mask from the dude there. This lets you get another mask, (behind the big-rear end boulder blocking one of the roads) which is probably the most useful item in the game.

The winning lottery numbers aren't random. Every cycle they're the same. Use this to your advantage if you need money.

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
Can anyone clue me in on Neverwinter Nights 2? I'm a completionist when it comes to RPGs, but I'm trying to get away from using guides.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Assassins Creed 2, keeping in mind I've never even touched the first game. I played up to opening up the second city in Italy so far.

Some thoughts so far:

- The only real fun I've found in the whole thing so far is climbing and running around on the rooftops. Everything else seems kind of annoying in comparison. I really don't like walking around on the streets.

- I like the idea of having a home city/villa for upgrading and the dress-up options. Do you ever get your speed/jump distance upgraded?

The game is generally pretty easy. Upgrade your villa as soon as you can, as often as you can. This will make sure that you're always rolling in dough.

If you haven't played the first one, the future-time plot is going to confuse the poo poo out of you. They do almost nothing at all to explain the first game. I recommend reading about the plot of the first one if you don't want to play it (it was a decent game in its own right, though, but now that you've started on the second, I wouldn't go back)

The game will literally never reward you for being stealthy. There's a few follow missions where you can't be seen by someone, but those are fairly easy if you just stay back. None of the assassination missions require stealth at all until the very end of the game. Trying to be stealthy only makes things more difficult for you. Run in, kill the target, use a smoke bomb, and run away. It works every single time.

Combat is all about countering. Going on the offensive only exposes you more. Just wait around and counter every attack. If you're going against bigger weapons that you can't counter, you actually should go bare-handed and do a disarm move to both steal their weapon and instantly kill them (if you attack right after). Combat is just a joke in general.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember jump or speed upgrades. There is a climbing upgrade that lets you jump upwards while climbing, which can be useful. I think there's a couple viewpoints in Venice that are inaccessible until you get it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

eyebrow posted:

Can anyone clue me in on Neverwinter Nights 2? I'm a completionist when it comes to RPGs, but I'm trying to get away from using guides.

I've been playing nothing but NWN2/expansions/modules for the past month or so for... god I don't know why, so I have a massive wall of text for you. I'll try to avoid spoiling too much.

For the Main game:

Be nice to Shandra Jerro. Anything you do to her will come back to bite you in the end.

If you want to change Khelgar into a Monk, be nice to him as well. If you don't, then feel free to poo poo all over him I guess.

The Parry skill is useless and doesn't do anything. Survival is similarly useless. Tumble is a fantastic 'dump' skill as it gives +1 AC for every 10 points you spend and makes moving around the battlefield less risky. Spellcraft is great for similar reasons, giving +1 to saves for every 5 points. If you can afford to pump it way up, Use Magic Device is fantastic for equipping otherwise Monk only items like Boots of the Sun Soul and Monk robes.

Don't bother with Crafting skills on your PC. Khelgar can handle Craft Weapon, and Grobnar or Shandra can handle Craft Armor. Sand, Qara, and several other NPC's can handle Craft Alchemy. Traps are terrible anyway. (At least in the OC).

Similarly, don't bother with Crafting Feats. Make sure to give Sand and Elanee Craft Magic Arms/Armor and Craft Wondrous Items. That should cover just about everything. If you want to make weapons with Acid Damage, Bracers of Armor, or a Robe of the Archmagi, you'll need to give those feats to Qara or Zhjave as well.

On a related note to those two, crafting is loving awesome. Make sure you don't sell 'distillable' items (generally, any creature body parts that don't seem to be usable for anything else), to turn into Essences for crafting. You can sell most Gems, but try to keep an eye out for and hold onto the following (also, if you ever see any of these on a merchant, BUY THEM.)
King's Tear, Beljuril - used for +8 Stat wondrous items, as well as some upper level resists.
Blue Diamond - used for +5 Weapons and Armor
Star Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Diamond, Canary Diamond - used for Elemental damage, as well as less than +5 weapon/Armor enchants

If you go with a melee class and end up taking weapon feats (Weapon Focus/Specialization, Weapon Master prestige class, etc.), a certain plot related Amazing Sword is considered a Longsword for mechanics purposes (though your PC will be able to use it regardless of class). Items you can craft for yourself will probably be better anyway for all but 1 or 2 plot battles, so don't worry about this too much if you want to play a Scythe specialist or Archer or whatever though.

If you plan to carry your PC through to Mask of the Betrayer and enchant up some awesome armor for yourself - don't do it with the armor your character starts out wearing. The game will assume it's starter gear and replace it for you.

When crafting armor for yourself: Mithral armor weighs less, has a lower chance of spell failure, and a higher max dex bonus to AC. Unlike other special metals, this does not take up a slot that could be used for another enchantment, and so, Mithral is often the best choice for Armor. If you aren't using other enchants beyond a straight +5 or whatever (and the other armor enchants /are/ kinda lackluster), Adamantine gives Damage Reduction which is awesome.

When crafting weapons for yourself: Use Cold Iron or Alchemical Silver to bypass damage reduction. It doesn't take up an enchantment slot. Silver is going to work on more enemies than Cold Iron does, but you'll find mobs with a weakness to both. Adamantine does take a slot, but is nice if you aren't stacking other enchants. There is a 3 enchant limit which is easy to hit though. The 'Holy Weapon' enchant can be added early and cheaply, and is obscenely overpowered.

Ignore the "Spell Resistance" stat on gear. It doesn't work. Spell resistance gained from racial/class abilities or buffs works fine. Similarly Damage Resistance (such as the Archers Belt that gives Piercing 5/-) is broken and doesn't work. Damage Reduction (of the 2/Adamantine sort), works fine and is amazing.

There are 6 missable nodes for Ore before you get your own Keep and can start using it. Be sure not to miss: 4 in the various caves you'll pass through during the Orc subquests. (1 w/ the Trolls, 1 w/ the first Orc clan, 2 w/ the second). 1 in the Dwarven Stronghold, and 1 underneath Crossroad Keep.

A high Charisma and one of either Bluff or Diplomacy will go a long way in the middle of the game, particularly in The Trial. You can always make a Nymph Cloak for yourself and get a companion to cast Greater Heroism on you before it starts though.

Speaking of Greater Heroism, and spells in general, there's a few that will make your life much easier for all of your casters to learn/memorize, in no particular order:
Stoneskin
Isaac's Lesser/Greater Missile Storm
Heroism
Greater Heroism
Knock (Unless you're playing a rogue or don't mind dragging Neeshka everywhere.)
Haste
Storm of Vengeance

Talk to your companions from time to time and ask them about whats going on.

As far as major missables:

When you get out of the first tavern brawl (you'll know what I mean), you'll see a Swamp Cave or Swamp Ruins or some such on your map. this is not the same Swamp Ruin you've already cleared. It's a totally optional no quests area with a really nice Morningstar that will come hugely in handy in the next few areas.

Have Neeshka pickpocket the merchants in the Neverwinter Docks. One of them has a really nice sword that will last somebody through the endgame.

If you don't intend to make Khelgar a monk, have him specialize in Warhammers.

Be sure to bring Elanee for a tour of the Neverwinter Docks after you've joined the Shadow Thieves or the Watch. There's a wolf worth introducing her to.

Make sure to keep Neeshka with you when you head to the Merchant District of Neverwinter for the first time.

Introduce Khelgar to the folks in charge over at the Temple of Tyr.

When investigating Ember/Duskwood in chapter two, take Elanee if your PC is not a Druid or a Drow elf.

Take Neeshka when you pursue the Githyanki at the end of chapter 1. Take her to Ammon Jerro's haven.

Convince Bishop to give the kid his knife. Even if you have to threaten him or pay him for it.

When upgrading your keep, prioritize the courtyard upgrades over the walls and roads over the keep interior. In chapter 3, make sure you build the Church if playing a Cleric, Paladin, or going for the Warden of the Keep epithet. Build the Monastery if playing a Monk or going for Dreadlord of the Keep. Build the Guard Tower if playing a Melee character or going for Warden of the Keep. Build the Wizard's Tower only if playing a Wizard or going for Dread Lord of the keep.

Think that's it for the OC. NWN2 has a shitton of sidequests, but for the most part, they're really loving hard to miss. There's a ton of Mask/SoZ specific stuff, but I'm assuming you mainly want to know about the OC. (though honestly, playing through the OC is really only worth doing as a prelude to Mask which is awesome).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr Christmas posted:

On the subject of Majora's mask...
I'd like to add that, in case it wasn't obvious, you should do both of these in your human form. The other thing to immediately repeat in your human form is the Bombers' hide-and-seek game. Instead of just telling you off for being a Deku Scrub, they'll give you a notebook that lets you keep track of the goings-on in Clock Town.

The password for the Bomber's Hideout is always the same, so if you go there right after getting back to human form, you'll get your notebook without having to chase those kids all over the place.
More masks:

-Listen for music in the north Fields at night.
-Take Epona east of the Fields and use the Lens of Truth for the other most useful mask in the game.
-Smash the Chandelier in the Goron Hall, and take the meat to a certain Goron outside.
-Get 23 masks and go to the final dungeon. Complete the four side dungeons and get the 24th, which will trivialize the final boss (and carry over to your game if you save after winning)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mystery at hog island posted:

For God's loving sake: When you get to the point in the game where you have to punch a block with a bomb on the top over a small gap DO NOT PUSH IT ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT FIRST.

If you do, it will get permanently stuck and the game's autosave will no doubt kick in when you try to leave the room and come back. I am usually anal about keeping multiple saves, but I didn't see the point in a Zelda clone so I was hosed out of 9 hours. I didn't have the heart to start over.

I searched all over and I could not find any way to reset that drat block.

You know the solution was probably something simple like detonating the bomb. I haven't heard anyone else having this same problem.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

eyebrow posted:

You can be a shining paragon of virtue, or you can rape babies, but 95% of the people you meet won't care either way. (In other words, it's just like every other Bioware RPG).

Yes, you're stuck with Neeshka at first. You can ditch her when you get to Neverwinter.

Unless a mob is right on top of you, you can rest almost anywhere. Corollary: Wizards and Sorcerers are insanely powerful. In particular, (Greater) Stoneskin completely breaks the game.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

al-azad posted:

You know the solution was probably something simple like detonating the bomb. I haven't heard anyone else having this same problem.
It wasn't. The block was three elevators/floor below the set of crystals that needed to be blown. And anyway I detonated the bomb several times in order to kill myself to see if that reset the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQhl9dBSjY This video someone made shows the glitch in action.

If you google "Iron Canopy Glitch," you'll see that I'm not alone. There's actually another game ending glitch there which involves a disappearing enemy you need to kill to advance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mystery at hog island posted:

It wasn't. The block was three elevators/floor below the set of crystals that needed to be blown. And anyway I detonated the bomb several times in order to kill myself to see if that reset the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQhl9dBSjY This video someone made shows the glitch in action.

If you google "Iron Canopy Glitch," you'll see that I'm not alone. There's actually another game ending glitch there which involves a disappearing enemy you need to kill to advance.

Well, that sucks. Hopefully they fix it in the PC version because I doubt I'll finish it on consoles any time soon.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

al-azad posted:

Well, that sucks. Hopefully they fix it in the PC version because I doubt I'll finish it on consoles any time soon.
I think they actually did patch the console versions. But those glitches remain unfixed.

What's REALLY annoying about the one I encountered is that, as the youtube video shows, if they had put a bar on the 4th side of the block, it'd be a nonissue. There's really no reason to have bars on just three sides.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bloodcider posted:

If you point your reticule at a cashier, you can hold them up and have them take you to the safe, which allows you to rob the store. You can also break in when the shop is closed at night, crack the safe, and load the box you get into your car, which you then drive to a pawn shop. If you try to rob a store twice in a row there will be a security guard waiting for you. Try getting a van and doing like 4 robberies in the high end retail area, that'll get you some nice cash.

Unless it was patched out, the absolute easiest way to get cash in Saint's Row 1 is to steal an armoured truck, park it in your garage, take it out, blow it up and then respawn it from your garage.

Vaguely exploitish, but your character isn't above insurance fraud, so I don't see why you should be too concerned with having a clear conscience.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Antifreeze Head posted:

Unless it was patched out, the absolute easiest way to get cash in Saint's Row 1 is to steal an armoured truck, park it in your garage, take it out, blow it up and then respawn it from your garage.

Vaguely exploitish, but your character isn't above insurance fraud, so I don't see why you should be too concerned with having a clear conscience.

How much cash did you get from that? I remember I found the Chop Shop that wanted an ambulance, so I called 911 in front of the shop, waited until the ambulance stopped, and took it right over to the shop. You could keep doing that as long as you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
About to start Bioshock 2

Anything major I should be aware of?