Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Zorak change the thread title to
Vinland Saga - The Vikings, They're farming [56k need a horse]

Seconding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alkaiser posted:

Well it says she's his personal maid, if it was implied somewhere then I missed it.

A young, pretty personal maid. You are right, it hasn't been explained as such, but it is still a rather likely outcome. A man who has access to young women with no repercussions or even social stigma is going to indulge. That's not to say it isn't still as close to consensual as that sort of relationship can get.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a great chapter. So calming and soothing. The horse's expression on the first panel here is just hilarious - http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/64/12/.

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...
thats the most buff horse ive ever seen

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Super Mario Shoeshine posted:

thats the most buff horse ive ever seen
I thought it was an ox at first.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Zorak change the thread title to
Vinland Saga - The Vikings, They're farming [56k need a horse]
Sounds about right.

Doomclown posted:

I thought it was an ox at first.
So did I...

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
One thing I find interesting about Vinland Saga is seeing medieval viking culture portrayed through a kind of Japanese cultural lens. Though everything seems actually pretty close to being historically accurate, the characters behave more closely to Japanese cultural norms. In the recent chapter, the pose of the old man hoeing on the last page is very Japanese really, very reminiscient of a rice paddy farmer. It's really cool seeing a non-western take on a historical culture that is usuallly (at least, to most of us) portrayed through a modern Western cultural lens.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The horse is probably a work horse similar to a Clydesdale which is loving monstrously big.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Will2Powa posted:

Though everything seems actually pretty close to being historically accurate, the characters behave more closely to Japanese cultural norms.

The guy egging the young master to kill Thorfinn and Einar seems to be a Japanese thief (honor-less samurai?) that got stranded in Europe somehow. :v:

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

YouTuber posted:

The horse is probably a work horse similar to a Clydesdale which is loving monstrously big.

Yeah I was actually thinking it was some kind of draft horse myself. Those types of horses get very big and have a lot of muscle. Perfect for plowing fields and pulling up roots.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm actually enjoying the farming adventure :allears:
Then again I love the Harvest Moon games.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

A young, pretty personal maid. You are right, it hasn't been explained as such, but it is still a rather likely outcome. A man who has access to young women with no repercussions or even social stigma is going to indulge. That's not to say it isn't still as close to consensual as that sort of relationship can get.

Given how chill the owner is in general, and the fact that the maid seems to be attracted to him and didn't have a problem complimenting him I doubt she see's any kind of problem with starting a relationship - which would suggest that she isn't being forcibly used. Or used at all for sexual purposes.

Also, just read up to current on this and enjoyed the poo poo out of it, farming and all. Not looking forward to a monthly wait between chapters though. Have to say Yukimura has shot up to the top of my awesome manga/media authors list between this and Planetes - especially considering that they seem to be pretty much his only works according to Wikipedia.

The art in this is fantastic too. There's something about the expressions in general that I find really engaging. Thorkells constant smiles being a prime example. I teared up a little bit at Thorfinn's face when he saw Askeladd dead. That expression of loss was pretty much perfect as were the following pages showing the rafters swaying and his memories crowding up. Thanks for the recommendation ADTRW I guess.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 5, 2010

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Will2Powa posted:

One thing I find interesting about Vinland Saga is seeing medieval viking culture portrayed through a kind of Japanese cultural lens. Though everything seems actually pretty close to being historically accurate, the characters behave more closely to Japanese cultural norms. In the recent chapter, the pose of the old man hoeing on the last page is very Japanese really, very reminiscient of a rice paddy farmer. It's really cool seeing a non-western take on a historical culture that is usuallly (at least, to most of us) portrayed through a modern Western cultural lens.

I seem to remember a scene where they all eat soup struck me as being very Japanese at the time. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/vinland_saga/v05/c030/12.html

Might just be me, though.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

I seem to remember a scene where they all eat soup struck me as being very Japanese at the time. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/vinland_saga/v05/c030/12.html

Might just be me, though.

Yeah, that's definitely another scene. That might've been the way medieval vikings ate soup as well, but that's definitely how Japanese people eat soup.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I just looked back at the beginning of the manga to now the later chapters and the art has gotten insanely detailed compared to the start. I honestly don't know how he gets those chapters done in a month with the amount of detail and crosshatching he dose it's ridiculous. I mean it would take me 4 hours just to trace one panel let alone the whole page.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vire posted:

I just looked back at the beginning of the manga to now the later chapters and the art has gotten insanely detailed compared to the start. I honestly don't know how he gets those chapters done in a month with the amount of detail and crosshatching he dose it's ridiculous. I mean it would take me 4 hours just to trace one panel let alone the whole page.

To be fair I'm sure there's a few assistants working on the details.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Vire posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised. Even Historie's author has completely different drawings for volume release. Take his spread of a city. I don't have the volume release version for this one, but compare this spread from a magazine scan

Click here for the full 900x646 image.

with this spread from a volume

Click here for the full 900x639 image.

Makes me surprised that anyone can do a monthly chapter with the kind of detail in Vinland Saga, even with assistants

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 7, 2010

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tala e fonua posted:

Makes me surprised that anyone can do a weekly chapter with the kind of detail in Vinland Saga, even with assistants

Vinland Saga is a monthly and not a weekly, though.

Not that it in any way diminishes the mangaka and his assistants' achievements, of course.

Just give me more Farmville Saga already, drat it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I sort of hope that the next 10 chapters are also entitled "Need a Horse". They will be probably still be about Thorfinn getting hosed by life.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

JosephWongKS posted:

Vinland Saga is a monthly and not a weekly, though.

Not that it in any way diminishes the mangaka and his assistants' achievements, of course.

Just give me more Farmville Saga already, drat it.

Whoops, my mistake. I believe both Historie and Vinland saga are monthly, that was a typo on my part.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

I sort of hope that the next 10 chapters are also entitled "Need a Horse". They will be probably still be about Thorfinn getting hosed by life.

They already have the horse.

Next chapter is going to be "Need a Plow".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

They already have the horse.

Next chapter is going to be "Need a Plow".

No no, they are currently using the horse, so obviously they still need it.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Found it. Here's a proper comparison.

Click here for the full 823x1199 image.

OneMinusOne
Apr 3, 2009

There is no magic beyond truth.
I am enjoying farmville saga, however I think in less than ten chapters it will end. I belive EITHER thorfinn will be found by Canute's men and re-drafted in service, or else he will become free and go on an ocean adventure, thus starting Vinland Saga for real.

edit: seriously though I am waiting for Thorfinn to have trading and framing adventures in North America.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OneMinusOne posted:

I am enjoying farmville saga, however I think in less than ten chapters it will end. I belive EITHER thorfinn will be found by Canute's men and re-drafted in service, or else he will become free and go on an ocean adventure, thus starting Vinland Saga for real.

edit: seriously though I am waiting for Thorfinn to have trading and framing adventures in North America.
Slight historical spoilers: in North America... the warfare doesn't stop. Thorfinn is going to fight at least one battle with the Skraelings after a trade deal goes awry.

tala e fonua posted:

Found it. Here's a proper comparison.

Click here for the full 823x1199 image.

Thanks, this will help me study for my Greek Archaeology final... Though there are a few notable differences between this and the remains of the actual Pella. It demonstrates typical Macedonian domestic architecture fairly well, however.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Hate to bump with no update, but today's AICN Anime column is claiming that Vinland Saga is going on hiatus and being replaced with the returning Historie.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Worst update ever. :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Brannock posted:

Worst update ever. :smith:

And what a cliffhanger to end on. Does Thorfinn ever get his farm in order? :ohdear:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Uggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man Dancer posted:

Hate to bump with no update, but today's AICN Anime column is claiming that Vinland Saga is going on hiatus and being replaced with the returning Historie.

Did the mangaka discover Idolmaster too? :ohdear:

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

With the way the Berserk thread had been as of late, I figured this was just a simple no update bump.

Son of a bitch!:argh:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
On one hand aaaaaaaaarrgggh no more Vinland Saga. On the other hand, Historie is pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to more adventures in Macedonia.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh hey, a bunch of posts! This is more than Farming Saga had been getting in a similar period of time! It must be an awesome chapter!

Oh. :smith:

But that's a pretty odd announcement considering Historie hadn't really gone anywhere. It just skipped a month... so with luck it's just an odd way of saying Vinland Saga won't be out this month... which still sucks, but isn't quite what I first thought when I heard 'haitus.'

Speaking of Historie the latest chapter came out a few days ago. It's criminally short, though... and pretty drat weird too. For anyone who didn't know that man having sex with Alexander's mother is Alexander- or at least his face is taken from an actual mosaic of Alexander found in Pompeii... which is kind of weird. I love the manga dearly... in fact when it was just about Eumenes it was my favorite manga ever, but all this bizarre supernatural dicking around with Alexander... could be gotten out of the way faster.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008
Man, I click on this thread thinkning "Oh boy, is it already time for some more Farming with Thorfinn and Friends?" and instead find this :(

Historie is good too, at least.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Eiba posted:

all this bizarre supernatural dicking around with Alexander... could be gotten out of the way faster.

Yeah, I wasn't too excited with how the whole Alexander/Hephaestion thing is being handled, but the story is still pretty interesting.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Noooooo, I need more farming and stubble! :ohdear: We don't even know if they'll finish clearing land in time to plant crops!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is it going on hiatus by choice or because reader interest is waning?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jackard posted:

Is it going on hiatus by choice or because reader interest is waning?

If it was due to lack of reader interest I'd imagine it'd be outright cancelled rather than simply put on hiatus. Hopefully this means it'll be back to our regularly scheduled farming updates soon.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hopfully the author is just a bit behind and wanted to give historie some lovin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well, we'll know at the end of the month if it's just a break or if interest is waning because volume nine is coming out on the 23rd and will be nothing but farming chapters.