Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Fiannaiocht posted:

So who's excited for canon and nikons eventual version of the nex? I'd be pretty amused if the nikon gets an internal af.

I'm not.

Don't waste the R&D. They may do it, just because it seems to be a me too industry (see: DSLR video). Imagine the R&D dollars wasted in lens development releasing yet another (incompatible) lens format. Canon and Nikon are just now starting to fill out their EF-S/DX offerings. Just a few crop primes and a few zooms. I don't know Nikon that well, but on the Canon side:

EF-S:
17-55 (crap kit)
17-55 IS (Less crap, still kit)
17-55 2.8 IS USM (pricey! but L without the ring)
18-85 IS USM (crap, slow, expensive)
15-85 IS USM (higher end kit replacement - optically? :iiam:)
18-135 IS USM (meh)
18-200 IS (superzoom!)
10-22 USM (:swoon: Basically L without the ring)
60 2.8 USM Macro

So there is a macro, an ultra wide, a high end standard, a mid grade extended kit and then some other kit crap and a superzoom. EF-S has been around for 7 years. We get just about a lens a year. Please no more mounts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think the main thing about these mirrorless compacts is that unless you want to go with a slower lens, you're stuck with these gigantic lenses on small bodies. What I'd like to see Nikon do is take the lessons learned from the D3S as far as performance goes, transfer it to a 2x crop sensor and make a fixed-lens camera with a nice fast lens. Honestly, if I bought one of these compact cameras, I don't think I'd get more than one or two lenses for it anyway. If they went the 2x route, I'd love to see something with a 20mm f/2 retracting lens built in to it, sort of like a digital equivalent of an Olympus Stylus Epic or Nikon 35Ti.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't really understand why the mount has to change if there is no risk of hitting a mirror box or anything.

I would love to be able to grab a nex size camera with a 30/50 for a party where I won't need a zoom and my primes would do me well enough, and it would be the same size, or even smaller than a bridge camera.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Is that the emissions spectrum of the source, or a wavelength-dependency of the circular polarizer? Why would my monitor output more circularly-polarized blue light, relative to the total amount of blue light? Could it be outputting, say, all of the blue light polarized, but other colours unpolarized?
It's a combination. For a screen or a light bulb, it doesn't matter if light is polarized or not, so certain wavelengths may be polarized more heavily than others by the glass, frosting on the bulb, the matrix of the screen, etc. As far as output overall, most screens have the blue cranked up from the factory along with high contrast and brightness because the human eye is more sensitive to blue and it looks brighter. CFL bulbs tend to be biased toward blue and green.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

I don't really understand why the mount has to change if there is no risk of hitting a mirror box or anything.

I would love to be able to grab a nex size camera with a 30/50 for a party where I won't need a zoom and my primes would do me well enough, and it would be the same size, or even smaller than a bridge camera.

But it comes down to registration distance. The EF mount is 44mm, F mount is 46.5mm. These distances are required to make the lens focus all focal lengths as well as produce a proper imaging circle to cover the frame. You would have to redesign the mount or build a shim to get them to function with such a short registration distance. Four thirds is 40mm, micro 4/3 is 20mm. This is why the m4/3 cameras require a physical adapter to space them out from the lens. This effectively kills many of the benefits you would get from using the compact system.

It could work with Canon (all electro mechanical) or Nikon's G series, but would we really want to wedge on a 20mm adapter to get the lens to work, especially when you can't go in reverse. Size and quality are in direct competition in photography. Physics are a bitch.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Just take the viewfinder off bottom tier DSLRs, they're practically useless anyway.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Beastruction posted:

Just take the viewfinder off bottom tier DSLRs, they're practically useless anyway.

How... do you mean? That makes no sense.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

How... do you mean? That makes no sense.

make them live view only.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

This is way more concise than what I was typing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

What I'd like to see Nikon do is take the lessons learned from the D3S as far as performance goes, transfer it to a 2x crop sensor and make a fixed-lens camera with a nice fast lens.
That'd be pretty great.

Paragon8 posted:

I'd like a workable autofocus system, thank you very much.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I just hope they use the crop sensors from the regular dslr line so I can actually use my lenses anywhere reasonable and in the dark.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

No, just make them use one of these.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/14/red-dot-sight-for-hotshoes-makes-shooting-tangos-a-viewfinder-fr/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not advocating viewfinderless SLRs! I was just clarifying what beastruction was saying.

I also totally want to start calling models "tangos" thanks to that link GWBBQ

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Woo! Now I can just hold down the shutter release and say gently caress a load of composition! I'm sure one of the three or four thousand images will be perfect!

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Compare the price to the Ikodot.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Dear Abby,
I feel like I lack the respect of other photographers who have been harassed and called terrorists by police and government officials. How do I remedy this and earn the street-cred I deserve?

That's perfect, thanks!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Beastruction posted:

Compare the price to the Ikodot.

lol do people actually buy this? you would obviously still have to use the rangefinder to focus properly, so what's the point?

e: and won't parallax be a huge problem for portrait type shots?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 26, 2010

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

lol do people actually buy this? you would obviously still have to use the rangefinder to focus properly, so what's the point?

e: and won't parallax be a huge problem for portrait type shots?

Hyperfocus/guessing?

I doubt it's meant for precise framing.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So basically you get to pay $100 to transform your leica into a holga

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I guess they had not heard of a sports finder before.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

So basically you get to pay $100 to transform your leica into a holga

$100 for someone to jam two pins and a bent paperclip into a hot-shoe protector.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What monitors that aren't AdobeRGB specific (and therefore fuckoff expensive) are used professionally these days? I have a Cinema Display that I love, but I want something that has more inputs and is HDCP compatible. I remember there were a few Dell monitors that were super cheap and still had H-IPS panels with lots of inputs and were around 24", but I'm clueless.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Interrupting Moss posted:

What monitors that aren't AdobeRGB specific (and therefore fuckoff expensive) are used professionally these days? I have a Cinema Display that I love, but I want something that has more inputs and is HDCP compatible. I remember there were a few Dell monitors that were super cheap and still had H-IPS panels with lots of inputs and were around 24", but I'm clueless.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-8277

Those are what most people are referring to when talking about Dell IPS monitors. They are really fantastic, and like 6 different types of inputs or something ridiculous.

If you are talking about some other line then I don't know about it - I believe they are AdobeRGB though. Also not sure on the "super cheap" part, but I've bought 2 Dell IPS panels and been very happy with them.

subx fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 29, 2010

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
LOL, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A1287455

The monitor has (mamorgram) boobs on it in the display. Subtle? maybe. Unintentional? Not likely.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KennyG posted:

Unintentional? Not likely.

Especially since it's specifically sold for mammography. :ssh:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Haha, how do you feel now, rear end in a top hat? Making fun of people with cancer, jeez. :)

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

jackpot posted:

Haha, how do you feel now, rear end in a top hat? Making fun of people with cancer, jeez. :)

I make fun of people with cancer all the time.

Molten Llama posted:

Especially since it's specifically sold for mammography. :ssh:

It's sold for 'medical imaging' not specifically mammography. :eng101:

They could just as easily have stuck a broken arm on the screen. (as many of the other product shots had) Also note, it's a pack of two! :quagmire:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Broken bones don't sell monitors.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I don't know what resolution that monitor is at, but that's a pretty nice rack.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Mammography requires its own, separate FDA clearance! :science:

And what better way to say "This monitor can read mammos too" than a pair of, uh, mammogrified hooters?
:parrot::parrot:

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Molten Llama posted:

Mammography requires its own, separate FDA clearance! :science:

Really? this just seems ludicrous to me. What makes a mammography monitor special?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

KennyG posted:

Really? this just seems ludicrous to me. What makes a mammography monitor special?

I'm guessing this is because if the contrast or brightness isn't calibrated just perfect there's a good chance someone could miss a tumor. I imagine it's a lot easier to see a broken bone then a tumor.

That said, medical stuff is freaking ridiculous. I have worked with a company that manufacturers Projectors and they have a medical model. I'm told the only difference between the medical model and the regular model is that the case for the medical model is white and the price is three times higher.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
When I worked in diagnostic imaging a few years ago, a number of monitor manufactures were in the process of getting their displays certified for doing radiology on mammograms. Anything else was already fine. PET, CT, X-RAY, Ultrasound, and even the exotic combos like PET/CT and PET/Ultra.

The official line at the time was that there weren't enough shades of gray available to monitors to allow an accurate mamm, but I'm pretty sure that was just the breast cancer people fighting their last ditch effort to keep from having to look at computer screens all day.

The Dome monitors were pretty middle of the road standard. There were some better ones, some worse, but the price was mostly due to the approval process and standards they had to pay to meet rather than any sort of real quality.

I heard the excuse about tumors being harder to see than broken bones, but the bone density and PET images were much much more difficult to interpret, had finer, fuzzier, more easily missed spots, and had approved monitors for years.

The PET people always chalked it up to the mentality of the average PET radiologist. The modalities always attracted similar minded people, with the mammography folks being some of the crankiest. Of course, this is about as unscientific as you can get, but eh.

I really miss working in Medical Diagnostic Imaging. Once during training, we got to screw with a 7T MRI magnet. T standing for Tesla, which is a measure of magnetic fields. The big ones you see at hospitals are usually .5 - 1.3T, the Earth's magnetic field is ~31 microT. With the 7T ring fired up and stuck to a wall, we were able to flatten metal trash cans and drag a parked van about 35 feet. It was awesome. Of course, something like that sucks piercings and fillings out at an alarming rate, so you know, keep your distance.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

squidflakes posted:

With the 7T ring fired up and stuck to a wall, we were able to flatten metal trash cans and drag a parked van about 35 feet. It was awesome. Of course, something like that sucks piercings and fillings out at an alarming rate, so you know, keep your distance.
I want to hear more stories of this. Need to hear more stories of this.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I don't know what resolution that monitor is at, but that's a pretty nice rack.

You wouldn't be saying that if you've seen how flat they squash boobies for mammograms.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Whats a good online source/tutorial on first timers to developing film? The OP in the film thread didnt have anything (unless i missed it)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

swagger like us posted:

Whats a good online source/tutorial on first timers to developing film? The OP in the film thread didnt have anything (unless i missed it)

halfway down the first page :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270#post344262317

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HPL posted:

You wouldn't be saying that if you've seen how flat they squash boobies for mammograms.

That seems like a good photo-tutorial to write.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

squidflakes posted:

I really miss working in Medical Diagnostic Imaging. Once during training, we got to screw with a 7T MRI magnet. T standing for Tesla, which is a measure of magnetic fields. The big ones you see at hospitals are usually .5 - 1.3T, the Earth's magnetic field is ~31 microT. With the 7T ring fired up and stuck to a wall, we were able to flatten metal trash cans and drag a parked van about 35 feet. It was awesome. Of course, something like that sucks piercings and fillings out at an alarming rate, so you know, keep your distance.

Aren't these magnets created by cooling a superconductor with liquid helium, making it impossible to actually turn them off without venting the helium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

spog posted:

That seems like a good photo-tutorial to write.

It's actually kind of mesmerizing when they squash. It's sort of like when you pour pancake batter onto the griddle.