Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Ratcliffe
Apr 10, 2006

by angerbot

Grand Fromage posted:

It's called a joke.

I haven't played the game in a while so I can't even remember how it was phrased or if it was a joke. Reading the stuff on grays reminded me to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Inspector Ratcliffe posted:

I haven't played the game in a while so I can't even remember how it was phrased or if it was a joke. Reading the stuff on grays reminded me to ask.

Jaime said that they're getting ready to deploy JC's aug tech worldwide and JC makes that joke in response to express that he really doesn't care what happens with the tech as long as nothing hosed up happens to him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

etalian posted:

Dark Age Ending is the best, especially since JC outruns a anti-matter explosion.

Tracer Tong sounds so happy losing the internet and all other communications while this happens too.

I'm a big fan of the Illuminati ending though because its the utter reversal of the intro.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Marvin_Gardens posted:

However, the Grays in Antarctica are JC's custodians and guardians because he saved them from the Versalife labs and gave them a home.

Non. Sense.

Not one of those loving things will survive under my watch.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fnoigy posted:

I'll probably be ordering my new PC later this week, so it won't be long till I can finally give Shifter a try! :dance:

Is Biomod still recommended?

It's a personal preference. I haven't tried Biomod, but I've read a quick overview of the changes that it makes and it seems to only enhance your abilities and a great deal at that. For example, both arm augs consume no energy, aqualung actually refunds energy as long as you're in the water and the Spy Drone both costs less energy to use and has more utility (can interact with computers, buttons, etc.)

Shifter somewhat suffers from over-enhancing the player, but it's not too bad and is supposed to be counteracted by AI enhancements and the like, though I'm not sure if they actually work. I haven't dedicated the time necessary to check.

So look over Biomod's changes and see if they appeal to you, then decide.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
With Shifter, there's also the comedy "Unrealistic" difficulty option if you're feeling unchallenged. Greasels with GEP guns...

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Nail Rat posted:

With Shifter, there's also the comedy "Unrealistic" difficulty option if you're feeling unchallenged. Greasels with GEP guns...
That is my GEP gun, give it back.

You are a greasel,
you're not even trained in its operation

A letter from your local UNATCO agent.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

On Unrealistic, NSF thugs are pretty much action movie stars and everybody else is a superhero.
It's funny, how come greasels can use flamethrowers, but dobermans can't? They're both carrying them and they can otherwise kill you in three bites. I enjoy when friendly NPCs grab heavy weapons and wield them at advanced levels automatically. I grabbed the cell key in the upper VersaLife lab and released "The Captain" and the greasels. The Cap'n grabbed a plasma rifle held by an incapacitated MiB and wasted an MJ12 trooper. However, the WiB got a headshot (with an exploding 10mm round, of course) and ended his drive for freedom. My green pets killed two researchers, but the WiB killed them with her sword. And nobody gave me a second glance.

Oh, a question: when I play on Unrealistic, there's a weird dash/low jump if I double-tap a direction key. Why doesn't this work on the other difficulties? I also have Biomod installed, but that probably doesn't affect this.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Nail Rat posted:

Green Greazy Guided Grenade Greazels, Ohh...

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

Oh, a question: when I play on Unrealistic, there's a weird dash/low jump if I double-tap a direction key. Why doesn't this work on the other difficulties? I also have Biomod installed, but that probably doesn't affect this.

Yeah, the engine had built-in dodging accessible through double-tapping a direction, it's just disabled by default. You should be able to turn it on by altering the .ini file, but Unrealistic mode also activates it because it's... well, you know. It's pretty much completely useless, though.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

etalian posted:

Dark Age Ending is the best, especially since JC outruns a anti-matter explosion.

One that can be seen from space, too.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Male Man posted:

It's a personal preference. I haven't tried Biomod, but I've read a quick overview of the changes that it makes and it seems to only enhance your abilities and a great deal at that. For example, both arm augs consume no energy, aqualung actually refunds energy as long as you're in the water and the Spy Drone both costs less energy to use and has more utility (can interact with computers, buttons, etc.)

Shifter somewhat suffers from over-enhancing the player, but it's not too bad and is supposed to be counteracted by AI enhancements and the like, though I'm not sure if they actually work. I haven't dedicated the time necessary to check.

So look over Biomod's changes and see if they appeal to you, then decide.

Reading the actual design philosophy of the mod, the creator basically wanted to create a more high-stakes game where you're actually using your augs all the time instead of misering it up and reloading whenever you get caught in a jam. Which I can understand, personally, being the kind of person who refuses to ever use any recovery items when I can just reload and avoid the situation altogether.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm beginning probably my sixth play through of this game with every intention of finally finishing it this time (as with every other play through :()

I have a question that's been burning in my mind but I've never thought to ask. Are there any mods that do a good job with inventory management? Constantly dropping knives I loot from bodies gets to be annoying. I guess I'm looking for something to just not pick up the knives or make items stackable... stackable items would be a gift from heaven. But if there's no way around this I can deal with it.

I used dx fixer to make the game pretty and am loving that so far. But god drat, all these cigarettes and knives!

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm beginning probably my sixth play through of this game with every intention of finally finishing it this time (as with every other play through :()

I have a question that's been burning in my mind but I've never thought to ask. Are there any mods that do a good job with inventory management? Constantly dropping knives I loot from bodies gets to be annoying. I guess I'm looking for something to just not pick up the knives or make items stackable... stackable items would be a gift from heaven. But if there's no way around this I can deal with it.

I used dx fixer to make the game pretty and am loving that so far. But god drat, all these cigarettes and knives!

Oh yeah, ditto this. I wish there was an auto-pickup file or menu(a la Nethack).

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Male Man posted:

Yeah, the engine had built-in dodging accessible through double-tapping a direction, it's just disabled by default. You should be able to turn it on by altering the .ini file, but Unrealistic mode also activates it because it's... well, you know. It's pretty much completely useless, though.

Too bad it's not the ut2003 engine, it had a ton of hilarious stuff you could do with dodges and boosts :(

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Use the item stack glitch. I basically keep one of every single melee weapon underneath the largest one.

EDIT: VVV Correct. It is great.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 31, 2010

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: Figured out the item stack glitch. Having 4 weapon mods under my sniper rifle rules.

I have kept myself out of the dark with this game since I started playing it back in 2002. Are there special weapons that I should save weapon mods or or can I use them as I see fit to fix up regular weapons? I'm fixin' to use small arms and rifles if that matters.

The conspiracy that runs through this game is fantastic. Including Gunther's soda machine theory.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 31, 2010

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wildtortilla posted:

Edit: Figured out the item stack glitch. Having 4 weapon mods under my sniper rifle rules.

I have kept myself out of the dark with this game since I started playing it back in 2002. Are there special weapons that I should save weapon mods or or can I use them as I see fit to fix up regular weapons? I'm fixin' to use small arms and rifles if that matters.

There are no unique weapons in the basic game (the Shifter mod adds some)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I quite like Biomod's changes to environmental protection items, which actually make the ballistic armor useful.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

dammit, failed the On-Site Procurement challenge in Biomod. Are you supposed to throw away all your gear before stepping on the chopper back to UNATCO? I think I kept my gear from the NSF generator mission then dropped it all before boarding the chopper back to Battery Park, and now it says I failed OSP for the airfield mission.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Drop all your stuff every time you take a vehicle (eg helicopter, the boat) and if you're not sure save before you go. Better safe than sorry, not like you need the stuff at UNATCO.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't notice it: the replacement Deus Ex executable has hit version 1 and is now completely awesome. It pretty much completely unfucks everything in one easy step and has per-user settings and saves.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Mr_Person posted:

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't notice it: the replacement Deus Ex executable has hit version 1 and is now completely awesome. It pretty much completely unfucks everything in one easy step and has per-user settings and saves.
Just in time for my new mainboard and Windows 7 to ship! :neckbeard:

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

Mr_Person posted:

Thanks for that link. I tried it out with the DX10 render, and playing at 1920x1080 with 16:9 makes everything look BIG.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

Wildtortilla posted:

The conspiracy that runs through this game is fantastic. Including Gunther's soda machine theory.

You can pile them on the Assault Rifle and turn it into a 45-round recoil-less silenced 100% accurate death machine. I don't think it can take a scope, but a Laser works (Not that you'll need it)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Murder McMurderson posted:

Thanks for that link. I tried it out with the DX10 render, and playing at 1920x1080 with 16:9 makes everything look BIG.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

I can see forever. :cthulhu:

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
BTW, the jumbo Spider Bots have loot too in Unrealistic: I knocked one out with an EMP grenade and it had 350$, a prod charger, and a medkit!

CPT Edward Jellico
Jan 31, 2005
Half-shark, half-man, skin like alligator. Carrying a dead walrus. Check it
Thanks to this thread I'm on my 3rd play through of this game. Quick question: When do you get the mission from Smuggler to rescue his friend? I didn't talk to him the first time I was in Hell's Kitchen and I can't seem to get him to bring it up the next couple times I was there.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Gerbik posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm on my 3rd play through of this game. Quick question: When do you get the mission from Smuggler to rescue his friend? I didn't talk to him the first time I was in Hell's Kitchen and I can't seem to get him to bring it up the next couple times I was there.

I believe you can only get into that area in the first trip to Hell's Kitchen.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Gerbik posted:

You missed out then, it's the first time you're there.

CPT Edward Jellico
Jan 31, 2005
Half-shark, half-man, skin like alligator. Carrying a dead walrus. Check it

Dr Snofeld posted:

You missed out then, it's the first time you're there.

drat, really? Can I still get into the facility somehow to grab the points?

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
I just severely wounded Maggie Chow by dropping a barrel of Ambrosia on her from a height of 15m in the UC. The lifting strength aug was so worth it.

And I found out you can log into the computers in the MJ12 lab in Hong Kong as multiple different employees and read a ton of e-mails about secret MJ12 projects. All you have to do is find out the names of some of the scientists (for example by talking to them or by reading the sign-in sheet at the front desk), and then enter their first initial and last name as the user name and "damocles" as the password. You can even log in as Maggie Chow but the e-mails it displays are just the same as the ones you can read in her condo. I didn't think to log in as Bob Page though :(. Guess I'll just have to do another playthrough...

Hammsturabi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2010

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mr. Gerbik posted:

drat, really? Can I still get into the facility somehow to grab the points?

Nope, the facility is completely sealed off after the first Hell's Kitchen visit.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Nearly indistinguishable from the general populace. The only difference being that you and your brother don't know how to smile, not even for a picture.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Riven posted:

My favorite run through was taking the mods for silent feet, invisible to organics, and invisible to machines, increased melee damage and the dragon's tooth. I just stocked up on batteries for the first half of the game without using any, and then for the last half I just turned those three things on for close to the whole time and went around wailing on people with the sword. Nobody could see me or hear me. As far as they knew people were just being sliced open and/or exploding for no reason whatsoever. It was awesome.

This.

This is the best way to play. Especially in whatever the level is where you first see the Grays and there are a ton of cameras and MIBs. Versalife probably? Anyways, yeah, in space, no one can hear you scream, but in Hong Kong, that's ALL they can hear.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha.

While searching for a list of passwords/security logins (I don't feel like hunting them down anymore, I did that the last ~11 times). I found this. I don't remember if it's been posted already. (I've read this gargantuan thread over the last couple of weeks, perhaps I forgot).

Click here for the full 750x600 image.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Squish posted:

Hahaha.

While searching for a list of passwords/security logins (I don't feel like hunting them down anymore, I did that the last ~11 times). I found this. I don't remember if it's been posted already. (I've read this gargantuan thread over the last couple of weeks, perhaps I forgot).

Click here for the full 750x600 image.

Man, you think this is gargantuan? Look at the mass effect threads...and there is like 5 of those drat things of similar size, all about tappin' some alien booty.

But that macro certainly is apt, the game has that effect on people.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

CaptainWinky posted:

Nope, the facility is completely sealed off after the first Hell's Kitchen visit.

Mostly sealed off. You can go down there, and get 60(I think) skillpoints for walking across the rotating bridge, but thats about it. When you come back from Hong Kong, you can do it again.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Gollom posted:

Mostly sealed off. You can go down there, and get 60(I think) skillpoints for walking across the rotating bridge, but thats about it. When you come back from Hong Kong, you can do it again.

You can also find the one guard they leave behind to guard their pile of rubble. He always looked so bored standing on the bridge. So I threw him off :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Gollom posted:

Whaaat? I remember going down one of the manholes and running into a bricked-over wall. Guess I should have tried another manhole.

This game STILL has new things for me to discover.