Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Fooley posted:

Also "uh"'s are unnecessary in text.

Nuh uh. In informal writing they can be used to convey a sense of confusion or can be used purely for illustrative purposes. Uh, at least, I think they can be. ;)

I finally started on my first pair of socks. I can see why people get so into it. There's something very satisfying about turning a heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?
So, what are some good things to knit for family members who rarely wear knit stuff? I'm trying to start Christmas presents in advance this year, and I'm stuck on what to do for my Dad. It's not usually cold enough to need gloves and a scarf here. Socks might be good, because they're nice and functional so I know he will use them, but I kind of want to be a bit more creative.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zombie Pirate posted:

So, what are some good things to knit for family members who rarely wear knit stuff? I'm trying to start Christmas presents in advance this year, and I'm stuck on what to do for my Dad. It's not usually cold enough to need gloves and a scarf here. Socks might be good, because they're nice and functional so I know he will use them, but I kind of want to be a bit more creative.

Does he wear eyeglass/sunglasses? A knitted sunglass case might go over well.

Or a cell phone cozy. Camera cozy?

I like cozies.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Zombie Pirate posted:

Is Victoria's weather similar to Seattle's? Usually about 35-45F during the winter, but rainy and misty?

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

I like cozies.
He's already got cases for everything. :( He always insists on going out and buying the fancy indestructible cases for his possessions.

Phishi posted:

Is Victoria's weather similar to Seattle's? Usually about 35-45F during the winter, but rainy and misty?
Yeah, it's generally just damp. He doesn't get cold easily either- if we lived on the prairies I could knit him all kinds of outerwear, but not here. Here you need Gore-tex.

...he's impossible to shop for too.

In happier news- I am going to buy some circulars after I'm finished moving, and start on my knit quilt. :neckbeard: The one I've had some of the wool for, and have been 'about to start' for like... 4 months. I got busy and didn't have time to knit. :sigh:

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Zombie Pirate posted:

Yeah, it's generally just damp. He doesn't get cold easily either- if we lived on the prairies I could knit him all kinds of outerwear, but not here. Here you need Gore-tex.

Wool is GREAT in the damp! A nice, lightweight wool hat and skinnier scarf or cowl might be nice. Just enough to ward off the chilly mist stuff we get 6 months out of the year. (And longer than usual this year, ugh) Wool socks are also fantastic in the great Pac NW as your feet WILL get wet in the winter... and the lightweight sock yarns aren't bulky or too warm when dry, but are noticeably warmer than store bought socks when wet. Even if he doesn't get cold easily wet feet will take a man down fast! I work outside year-round and these things have been a godsend for me. Wool/alpaca blends are also awesome, and the alpaca lends a lightness and fuzziness that can't be beat. :)

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Phishi posted:

Wool is GREAT in the damp!
I too am unimpressed with this chilly, chilly May. It should be at least 20 degrees out by now. But it gives me an excuse to wear the gauntlets I knit, so...
Socks it is I think. He doesn't wear scarves, or hats. It will be my first time. I'm a sock-virgin. :ohdear:

Also- what do you guys do with those little bits of leftover yarn? the bits that are 50 or fewer yards? Other than let them collect into one giant knot, like I seem to be doing.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Make a swatch out of them then knit/sew/etc them all together. Attach a little tag with a brief note of what you used the yarn for. That way you have a really interesting blanket and secondly you have an illustrated history for your knitting. Really nice a few years down the line when you can look at all the different yarns you've knitted.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Zombie Pirate posted:

Also- what do you guys do with those little bits of leftover yarn? the bits that are 50 or fewer yards? Other than let them collect into one giant knot, like I seem to be doing.

-Make clothes and accessories for toys
-Make baby hats
-Make a crazy leftover blanket for a hippy friend (I find this easier in crochet)
-Tie it round lampposts and say it's knit graffiti
-Give to cats
-Give to beginning knitters
-Use in small bits of colour work
-Stuff toys with it

...yeah

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Does anyone else get frustrated with the huge quantity of triangle shawls that are really just "knit this one stitch type, switch to a different one for the border?" It's nice to learn how the construction of a triangular shawl works, but it just seems super formulaic. Not saying they're bad, just I want something more interesting, because now that single stitch pattern just bores me to tears. This is sort of inspired by the Knitty 'surprise' shawl pattern, which is a giant garter thing with a lace border.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zombie Pirate posted:

This pattern is AMAZING for using up bits of yarn http://www.saartjeknits.nl/patterns/Korknisse.html

The problem is you have to buy a bunch of corks.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

The best part is you get to buy a bunch of wine.

:haw:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Okay so the last thing I need right now is a new project (I have a week to finish a baby sweater that I'm still doing the goddamn collar for and I am an incredibly slow knitter), especially one as time-consuming and expensive as a long sweater but OH MAH GAWD

The Virgin Mary
Mar 16, 2005

*not a real virgin
I just finished this lace-yoked top. The lace bit was super-fun; the miles of stockinette? Not as much. I wish I'd knit it down a size smaller, because the fit is a bit baggy.

I'm glad it's done because the new issue of Vogue Knitting came in the mail today. I'm casting on for this right now.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Hey, I have a favor to ask. Does anyone have or know where I can get a hold of the Wallace and Gromit knitting pattern series from Alan Dart? I can only find a couple on eBay but I really want the whole set (I think there are 6 patterns).

Anyone with any information, it would be greatly appreciated, please!! Thanks!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The Virgin Mary posted:

I'm glad it's done because the new issue of Vogue Knitting came in the mail today. I'm casting on for this right now.

While the stole is quite pretty, I spent a good few minutes not seeing it because of the model's hair.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Anyone have stashed skeins/balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in 300302 (Smoked Gray) that they want to sell/trade me? :(

Discontinued color and I want to make a shrug but I need more than 300 yds. - unless anyone has a low yardage requirement suggestion! Blah.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
First off I need to brag, it was my 21st yesterday and with my birthday money I bought myself the Nova Metal Knit Pro Interchangeable Deluxe set (store was having a sale)so im just sitting around like this :3

Nibblet - I have a feeling I saw the Wallace and Gromit Knitting Pattern Set as a torrent on a private torrenting site a few days ago but its down for maintenence at the moment so I can't check :(

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I came in here to post that I thought of doing a craft swap/gift exchange thing for the crochet thread and someone said I should make a knit/crochet gift thread. I think I can manage a gift swap between our little crochet group, but I have a 20 month old to chase around and am in no way organized enough to manage a swap for all of us. I think it'd be really cool idea, though, and I'd definitely help out whoever decides to take it on.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
UGH my feet are so goddamned big. Another sock pattern where the largest size barely even goes over the ball of my foot, nevermind the heel and instep. :mad: I even used a larger needle size!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

UGH my feet are so goddamned big. Another sock pattern where the largest size barely even goes over the ball of my foot, nevermind the heel and instep. :mad: I even used a larger needle size!

You should look into Cat Bordhi's "Socks for Insoucient Knitters" - every sock in it is custom fit to your personal foot. Not terribly hard to convert other patterns to this system too, assuming you can convert them to toe up or they're already toe up.

It's a very weird way to knit socks though, I must admit. Actually there's a sort of proto version of this pattern for free on the Twist Collective site - that one's called the Houdini Socks. If you want to check it out without buying a book. :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The first book of that series--New Pathways for Sock Knitters--covers both toe-up and cuff-down conversions. It's probably the only thing I really regularly use from that book; her designs really aren't my cup of tea. Cookie's Sock Innovation also discusses how to resize, and it's all cuff-down (plus there isn't a single sock I wouldn't knit in it).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Oh yeah, I like the first New Pathways book too - but I think the fit of the socks in the second book is even better. At least for me! But you're right, the first book has some great ideas.

Cat Bordhi is loving nuts though. I can never really decide if I find her edearingly crazy or if I'm terrified of her. I have one of the "magical knitting" books too and there's this random picture of a little knitted doll with no face and it's rather upsetting.

The Cookie A book is loving awesome. A good friend bought me a copy for Christmas and I've done three patterns from it already this year. (Started a fourth and got ALL THE WAY TO THE FOOT before realizing the cuff won't even go on over my toes I don't even know why, I was so loving pissed).

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I saw a pretty cool concept for a book at the bookstore the other day - it was called Socks A La Carte by SWTC. Remember those kid's books where you could dress up the doll or the robot or whatever by flipping each third of the page individually to get all different combos? This was pretty much the same, only with a sock: cuff, leg, and heel/toe. Then it would give you the pattern for each component and you can mix and match to create 100s of sock types.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:blush: I hope it's okay to solicit advice here here, but....

I want to make a rainbow scarf that has diagonal stripes in a basic garter stitch. The problem is whenever I switch to a different color there are noticeable, gaping holes between the stripes. pic Homemade pattern

Should I keep going and just close the holes by knotting them together afterwards? Or would it be easier to knit individual colors then sew them with a tapestry needle and extra yarn?

Also, has anyone ever tried knitting a scarf from the long side/horizontally? Apparently it can be done with circular needles, but I don't have any. I wonder if I can make some with dowels, string and a pencil sharpened :raise:

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

I want to make a rainbow scarf that has diagonal stripes in a basic garter stitch. The problem is whenever I switch to a different color there are noticeable, gaping holes between the stripes. pic Homemade pattern

Should I keep going and just close the holes by knotting them together afterwards? Or would it be easier to knit individual colors then sew them with a tapestry needle and extra yarn?

Also, has anyone ever tried knitting a scarf from the long side/horizontally? Apparently it can be done with circular needles, but I don't have any. I wonder if I can make some with dowels, string and a pencil sharpened :raise:

If you want diagonal stripes, probably the easiest way to do it is on the bias, and then you can just do normal stripes. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bias-scarf-patterns Here is the pattern I used, just omit the YOs for a solid scarf. :) As for doing it horizontally, you need a circular needle to hold all the stitches! IMHO, you're much better off just saving up for an interchangeable set... the KnitPicks ones are fantastic and very affordable. Trust me, you will not enjoy working with home-made circular needles. o.O If you like the look of horizontal stripes but are on a tighter budget than circs allow, maybe crochet that one?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

Another option is to make sure you're crossing your strands properly when you switch. If you scroll down a bit, Knitting Help has a great video for how it works on this page. You'll want the intarsia video most likely.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
When you knit with one color/yarn, each stitch is connected to the stitch before it and the stitch after it. When you join in a new color mid-row, it's not connected to the preceding stitch, hence the gap. As FelicityGS has said, the tutorial on intarsia will show you how to twist the two colors before you start knitting with the new one, thus closing the gap.

On the subject of DIY circs, someone linked me this today: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6638

I personally wouldn't do it because I can predict that getting a smooth join will be very, very difficult, and if there's one thing (well, one of several) that gets me frustrated is a clunky join. It may be tempting to try to save a few bucks and do it yourself or get some cheap needles (I'm looking at you, Aero), but for me, at least, if I'm not enjoying the process of knitting, it's not worth the savings.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Thanks for all the advice guys! This is the second scarf ever that I'm trying to do, and it's a lot more complicated then basic blocks of color. I guess I'll start over and give it another shot.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I just bought some Plymouth Baby Alpaca Lace to make my mom this Celtic Knot Stole. I can't wait to start on it, it looks pretty fun. And since my mom and sister actually get dressed up occasionally, they should be able to wear it. Unlike me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm going to be starting the yarn-swap thread either tomorrow or Monday, depending on how long my current project takes me.

Get your unwanted yarn ready, people! :v:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Yuss! I shall get my swappables ready.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Finally finished my second Citron!

Going down a needle size from the last one made a huge difference in how it turned out in the silk. As much as I love this yarn the pattern really is more suited to something with animal fibers, to better hold the ruffle. Still, this one came out a lot better (albeit smaller) than my first attempt, so I'm pretty happy with it. Boring as hell to knit though, and the last 12 rows with 540 stitches plus bind off were a little soul draining.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I'm knitting a citron shawl in a light blue knitpicks gloss lace. I'm done the 4th section and slowly gathering the energy to go the last stretch. Part of my hesitance to do more is i'm almost out of yarn and the order for new stuff hasnt been put in yet.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nibblet posted:

Hey, I have a favor to ask. Does anyone have or know where I can get a hold of the Wallace and Gromit knitting pattern series from Alan Dart? I can only find a couple on eBay but I really want the whole set (I think there are 6 patterns).

Anyone with any information, it would be greatly appreciated, please!! Thanks!

Email consumer.ccuk@coats.com and ask them.

However, they say they do not have all the patterns in the archives and only sent me Timmy and Shaun. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Email consumer.ccuk@coats.com and ask them.

However, they say they do not have all the patterns in the archives and only sent me Timmy and Shaun. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Thanks Sodium, I'll give that a shot. By the way....who's Timmy?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Timmy is a little lamb from the Shaun the Sheep kids spin-off show.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Fiesta dishcloth! :woop:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Yes! Bee-ootyful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

I'm going to be starting the yarn-swap thread either tomorrow or Monday, depending on how long my current project takes me.

Get your unwanted yarn ready, people! :v:
What happened to this? :ohdear:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 9, 2010